Home » » Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 Guide for iPhone 4.2.1, iPod touch 4.2.1, and iPad4.2.1

Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 Guide for iPhone 4.2.1, iPod touch 4.2.1, and iPad4.2.1

Written By Hans Berger on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 | 5:46 AM

If you'd like to jailbreak iPhone 4.2.1, iPod touch 4.2.1, or iPad 4.2.1, you can do so by following the guide below. Currently the only tool that supports iOS Jailbreak iOS 4.2.14.2.1 jailbreak right now is redsn0w (by iPhone Dev Team).

The other jailbreak tools: greenpois0n (by Chronic Dev Team), and limera1n (by Geohot) haven't been updated to support the jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 yet.

IMPORTANT: We recommend that only iPhone 3G,  and older iPod touch users jailbreak. This jailbreak is only untethered for the older iOS hardware. All of the newer devices are tethered, meaning you will need to re-jailbreak each time you reboot your iDevice. If that is fine with you, then go on and jailbreak.

1. Download iUserbar new - click here (works on Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari)

2. In iUserbar new, click the "Downloads" button and then click on your iOS 4.2.1 firmware to download it.

3. In iUserbar new, click "Downloads" and click on Download redsn0w to download redsn0w.

4. Now open redsn0w, and click the Browse button.

5. Locate your device's IPSW file that you downloaded in step 2 and click Open.

6. The redsn0w window will have the "IPSW successfully identified" message. Click the Next button to continue.

7. redsn0w will ask you to "Please select which options you would like to have". Make sure the Install Cydia box has a check on there and then click Next.

8. redsn0w will ask you to make sure your device is both OFF and PLUGGED IN to your computer. Make sure you plug in your device in to your computer and then turn it off. Click Next once you have done this.

9. redsn0w will now ask you to connect your device in DFU mode.

1. Hold down the Power button for 3 seconds

2. Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (bottom center button) for 10 seconds

3. Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button for 30 seconds

• If you don't do this properly you will get a DFU Mode Failed message and you'll have to go back to step one.

• Once this process is complete, your device will restart and it will have the Cydia icon!

Praveen Yadav
December 14, 2010 at 5:59 AM

Once I perform this step, would I be able to unlock as well. Can I use any carrier's SIM in my iphone4 (iOS 4.1 - BB 2.10.4)
I'm really keen to learn some ways to do it. In past I also tried Limera1n but that also didn't unlock it, but just jailbroke it.

I would really appreciate if you could let me know if there is any way via which I can unlock my iphone following failbreaking. Thanks in advance!!!

Praveen

Vincent
December 14, 2010 at 6:10 AM

yes! thank you!

Justin
December 14, 2010 at 6:12 AM

You mean this is a tethered jailbreak for most recent iOS devices. I jailbreak my brother's iPhone 4 using the latest redsn0w beta, it's a tethered jailbreak.

Steve
December 14, 2010 at 6:12 AM

sooo do i update to 4.2.1 first?

Hans
December 14, 2010 at 6:16 AM

Spamsalad70
December 14, 2010 at 6:19 AM

Is this a tethered JB only??? I have IP4

Steve
December 14, 2010 at 6:22 AM

ok so this is an untethered jailbreak? guy below says this isnt...o.O?

Hans
December 14, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Post updated. It's only untethered for iPhone 3G and some older iPod touches.

Jerry S
December 14, 2010 at 6:42 AM

Do not update if you are using an iPhone 3GS with the new iboot. If you have an iPhone 4 baseband 02.10.04. DO NOT UPDATE. you guys need to follow DEVTEAM on twitter for reliable informations. Make sure you use SHSH for all firmware from 4.1 and lower. Guys you need to be on top of the game. If not, apple will close the gate on you. You guys need to Rock with DEVTEAM by preserving your baseband for future jailbreak

larry
December 14, 2010 at 6:49 AM

what about baseband?

mont
December 14, 2010 at 8:33 AM

i'm using iphone 3g....can i unlock my iphone after jailbreaking the 4.2.1 ios??
i'm still using my 3.1.2 baseband in order to maintain my unlock...

RSM
December 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Would be nice if you new cydia does not work.

Tee
December 14, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I installed redsnow on my ipad but cydia is doesn't work when I try to run it. It's just a white icon. Also Safari doesn't work anymore, it just opens and closes right back to the desktop.

austin
December 14, 2010 at 5:09 PM

where can I find the unlock for iphone 4 iOS 4.2.1?
i've jailbroken iphone and now i want to unlock, what can i do??
Please Help!!!!
Thanks!!!.

Simon
December 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM

does this work on the MC versions of ipod touch??

arek
December 14, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I tried to jb my ipod touch 2g MC model with iOS 4.2.1 with redSn0w b6 but it froozed on exploit limera1n....

Craig
December 14, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Tried 4 or 5 times to run Redsn0w to install Cydia on iPhone 4.2.1 BB 03.10.01 and hangs every time when running RamDisk, anyone got any suggestions?

Tariq
December 14, 2010 at 10:40 PM

hello I just want to confirm. did anybody use this jailbreak with iPhone 3G? and was it really untethered? finally, is there an unlock if I jailbreak? and how do I unlock iPhone 3G?

Tariq
December 14, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I am on 4.0.2 baseband 05.14.02 cus I up grated to 4.1 and later downgraded back but it kept my baseband.

Chasp
December 15, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Does this work with IPAD that is already Jailbroken 3.2.2?
If you have a JB Ipad 3.2.2 do you just upgrade to 4.2.1 and follow the instructions above?
What happens to Cydia, L1merain, and any other Cydia packages loaded in the 3.2.2 jailbreak?
Will this work on all IPad versions and is it untethered?

Thanks for all the effort that has been put into getting this out, just need some things clarified.

Thanks,
Chasp

Thies
December 15, 2010 at 1:30 AM

So, my ipod touch 3g will be a untethered jailbreak?

Alexander
December 15, 2010 at 2:49 AM

Is there any way to Enter DFU MODE without using SLEEP button? Mine is broken

ruben rocha
December 15, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Hello Friends;

I follow the (how to) and my iphone 3g 8Gb after reboot is still on 4.1 OS and I have only 6.2 GB.

DFU mode OK, and no 1600 problems

Can someone help me please?

PoogMahoon
December 15, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Can I unlock iPhone 3G frimware 05.14.02

PoogMahoon
December 15, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Once I perform this step, would I be able to unlock as well. Can I use any carrier’s SIM in my iphone 3G firmware 05.14.02

Tomvandenberg
December 15, 2010 at 4:05 AM

Is it an untethered jailbreak for my iPad???

Ross
December 15, 2010 at 4:14 AM

If I update iphone 4 to 4.2 version and then jailbreak via redsnow, will it also be unlocked?

Juan
December 15, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Hi guys, I Did my iPhone 3G 4.2.1 Jailbreak, but yet its not unlocked, is there anyway after jailbreaking it to unlock it?

Thanks

Mauricio
December 15, 2010 at 7:37 AM

It downloads the ipsw as .zip files and thus does not work... FAIL!

IS 86
December 15, 2010 at 7:55 AM

same here!! why thf fk is the cydia icon white and doesnt work??

jesus
December 15, 2010 at 10:08 AM

download ultrasn0w from cydia

Nicholas
December 15, 2010 at 11:32 AM

need help. when the is downloadin jailbreak data, redsnow stop working and needs to be close. now my phone got stuck. wat can i do?

PoogMahoon
December 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM

If it a Zip file just Chang the end from Zip to ipsw and then it will work

PoogMahoon
December 15, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I mean rename it from zip to ipsw and it will work

Mark
December 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Attempting to jailbreak my iPhone 3G with 4.2.1 iOS using redsn0w 0.9.6b6 on my windows7 ultimate PC. The progress bar gets to 5 and the last text status message is "Uploading ramdisk", the iPhone screen shows the picture of a disk drive and says "Downloading Jailbreak Data..." but then I get a windows error message box "redsn0w.exe has stopped working". I tried again running as Administrator the 2nd time with the exact same result. Any help is appreciated.

Mark

Mark
December 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I just found the important little hint I needed *Windows Vista/7 users run as administrator in XP compatibility mode* --that solved my problem.

December 15, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Raul
December 15, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Exploit here, exploit there, but no ip4 ut jb.
WE WANT iPHONE 4 iOS 4.2.1 UNTETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

December 15, 2010 at 5:24 PM

yes use ultrasn0w search for dev team blog and follow instructions. it updates to ipad bb, makw sure you read instructions and follow rhem.

Mike Dee
December 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Dosnt work for me,tried 766 times and it gets to the first loading ramdisc thing and the downloading jailbreak data.... on my phone and redsn0w stops working and has to be closed,then my phone is stuck on the downloading jailbreak data... screen so I have to reboot and try again....

This is pissing me right off because alot of people say that it works fine but others say it dosn't.

I'm doing the timing all correct and with home/power/home shit but it stops working at the first loading part...

PLEASE HELP AND IF ANYONE ELSE KNOWS WHAT THE F TO DO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW......................................................................

Mike Dee
December 15, 2010 at 9:47 PM

redsn0w stops working halfway through the 'uploading ramdisk' part and has to be closed....

i try again and redsn0w stops working......

HHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP PLEASE............

Mike Dee
December 15, 2010 at 9:50 PM

and yes i have iphone 4,upgraded to itunes 10.1 and have 4.2.1 (8c148) with modem firmware 03.10.01

Mike Dee
December 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM

OHH MY FUCKING GOD,I JUST GOT PAST THE UNLOADING RAMDISK PART AND REDSN0W STOPED WORKING ON THE UPLOADING KERNEL PART.....

kostas
December 15, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Is it possible to carrier unlock iPhone 4 with iOS 4.1 or 4.2?

Ipadawan
December 16, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Let's just wait L1mrain or other tool been update on a fully unthetered version ;)
Our Iphone4, upgraded 4.2.1 (8c148) with modem firmware 03.10.01 can just NOT be JB for instant... :'(
The solution should arrive before Christmas normally... according to MuscleNerd :D

Timo
December 16, 2010 at 1:17 AM

(sidenote for the unknowing)
For step two, you need to state that you download an .zip file.
You need to rename .zip for .ipsw

Timo
December 16, 2010 at 2:34 AM

when you have windows you need to tag on compatibility modes to windows XP service pack 3, and tick the open as administrator box
regards,

Ricardo
December 16, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Yes is good

killme1more
December 16, 2010 at 3:47 AM

this jailbreak FAIL for iphone4 i tried it 100 time but doesn't work but works in iphone 3g....ps; problem also in updated itunes, cannot sync..

Alexander
December 16, 2010 at 4:01 AM

No way to enter DFU without sleep button?

nass01
December 16, 2010 at 5:51 AM

Hi, I am having trouble jailbreaking my ipod touch 2 please help.

MLR
December 16, 2010 at 6:47 AM

I am using a iPhone 3GS with an old bootloader (v. 359.3) and firmware version 4.2.1. This jailbreak worked fine for me, although I didn't use the steps in exactly the order they are given.
My iPhone is now jailbroken, however, its NOT carrier unlocked. I think you have to use the iPad firmware v. 06.15 in order to get the unlock. Will have to keep trying. Not sure if I have to go back to my old non-jailbroken firmware first, or if I can just run redsn0w again and this time specify the iPad firmware option. A point in the right direction would really help.

MLR
December 16, 2010 at 6:57 AM

OK guys, try this:
Download the firmware zip. Rename it to .ipsw.
Download redsn0w. Unzip it.
On your computer (PC) open iTunes.
Plug in your iPhone.
Make sure your iPhone is turned ON and at the main home screen with all your icons on your iPhone.
Put your iPhone is DFU mode (follow instructions in tutorial). Your iPhone screen should be black with nothing displayed on it.
Once your iPhone is in DFU mode, run Redsn0w.
Click the options as needed and just next, next, finish your way though. Don't worry when it tells you to make sure your iPhone is off--just hit next. Redsn0w will do the rest and reboot your phone. You should then be jailbroken.
Success!

Tommy
December 16, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I'm jailbroken with Limera1n on 4.1, I've saved my SHSH blobs with Tiny Umbrella. How do I update to 4.2 and remain untethered?

Marc
December 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM

at what point do you rename it?

Spoon
December 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM

OK, I got everything going - lots of thanks to all those who commented with suggestions (renaming the .zip file was the first one, second one was running the redsn0w file in XP compatibility, as administrator). The jailbreak was successful (sortof), now when I click on Cydia on my iPhone it doesn't want to open. It makes the screen flash white once (very briefly) and then goes back to the iOS home screen. What to do?

Spoon
December 16, 2010 at 3:05 PM

found the answer! i just needed to re-run redsn0w and select "just boot tethered"! wo hoooo

Johann
December 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Hi,

Everything works like a charm, excpt that my iPhone 3G runs into what appears to be a loop.
Boots up, shows the Appel logo, the little loader appears, then the screen flashes something and the device reboots.

I have also removed the sim card, reflased but the same problem keeps on happening. What I do remember is that my Wifi was left on. WIll keep on playing with it.

No funny selections have been made, just the Cydia icon was added.

Thanks for the great work you guys have done so far! Believe me, we really appreciated it!

chris
December 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

all you need to is rename the file to end in ipsw and it works

Jack
December 16, 2010 at 10:16 PM

it works on my iphone 4.

PAUL
December 17, 2010 at 1:05 AM

HI U RUN IPAD 3.2 AS WLL ON YOUR IPHONE 3G AS THE BASEBAND IS IN THAT AND HEN JAILBREAK AGAIN WITH REDSN0W, THEN INSTALL ULTRASN0W THAT SHOULD DO IT.

Johann
December 17, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Good News!

Following the previous loop I was stuck in, I have now managed to get pass this problem and was able to update to 4.2.1 with Cydia enabled :-)

I did the upgrade directly from 3.1.2 to 4.2.1
It failed and I believe that it could have been related to the version of the Boot ROM. Not mentioned anywhere.

To get out of the loop, get you phone into USB Loader or DFU mode.
Restore the 3.1.2 IOS using ITUNES, latest one worked for me.
Once restored, you phone will need to restore its settings from backup. You can do that, but should not be required.

Using ITUNES, upgrade the IOS to version 4.1 Then follow the same steps of restoring your settings.

Following a succesfull upgrade and restore of 4.1, refer to the above normal instructions and upgrade your iPhone to 4.2.1 with Cydia, multi-tasking enabled, etc.

Works like a charm and just needed a bit of troubleshooting :-)

Again, thank you guys! Great work!!

Marcos
December 17, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I cant locate my device’s IPSW file that I downloaded in step 2... Can anyone help me?

John
December 17, 2010 at 2:16 PM

How do you upgrade to a higher firmware without upgrading the baseband.

Redsnow says it is for your current firmware only.

Bryan Stevens
December 17, 2010 at 5:41 PM

i got a 3GS - SN: 88926
everything work fine except that
my phone cant find the carrier
what should i do??

Autriche
December 18, 2010 at 4:16 AM

Hello, i´ve jailbreaked my ipod touch. And after it rebooted the cydia icon was there. And then i tried to click on it. It closed after 1 second. Do you know what the issue is? Please help me!!!

Mike
December 18, 2010 at 4:41 AM

Rename teh file to what?

casey
December 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM

ok so... i started up redsn0w and i browsed for the 4.2.1 firmware file. but after it prossesed the firmware a message came up that said, it doesnt support mc models yet.

so can someone please help me...

jonathan
December 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM

hey, redsn0w always gets stuck on exploiting limera1n when i try it, and its really p-ing me off, anyone got a fix

msiphone
December 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM

ARRRRRGGGGGG

I've been trying to jailbreak my iphone 3G for almost a week, not able to. Redsnow keeps freezing at ramdisk.

I've tried all the hints, admin, compatibility modes, followed the step by step instructions... over and over.

NO LUCK.

will someone pllllllsssss help me???????

Mike Dee
December 18, 2010 at 4:29 PM

TIMO,
I cant find a way to run in xp mode.I right click on the folder,go to properties and there is no tab for compadibility mode.All i get is 4 tabs,General,Sharing,Security and Customize and I've looked into all of these tabs and there is nothing even close to compadibility mode...

MLR,
The downloaded firmware is already named .ipsw. so I didn't need to rename it.I have tried all of your steps and still halfway through the jailbreak process it comes up with 'redsn0w has stopped working'....I've tried to 'just boot teathered now' and redsn0w has stopped working'...Everything I do it keeps telling me that 'redsn0w has stopped working'...
I have jailbroken every iphone i had since the 3gs a few years ago and done a few mates as well and had no problems until this 4.2.1 shit...QWK PWN,Blackra1n,Limera1n,even the older firmware Redsn0w,

CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE GIVE ME ANY HELP,ANY STEPS AT ALL,EVEN IF YOU CAN TELL ME HOW TO RUN IN COMPADIBILITY MODE,ANYTHING WOULD HELP...

Mike Dee
December 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM

ok for some I re downloaded redsn0w for the 323rd time and then I right clicked it after extracting all files and BANG,the compadiblity mode tab was there,so I clicked on this tab and I 'ran in Windows XP mode(service pack 2),as I dont have service pack 3 and I just checked for windows updates and there were none available.
So anyway I ran in xp mode and checked the 'run as admin' box as well,then tried redsn0w again and what do you know the fuckin thing 'STOPPED WORKING AGAIN'...
holy hell and all the sware words under the sun I through the stupid iphone out the window followed by my pc.

SO AGAIN CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE HELP ME OUT AGAIN WITH ANYTHING BEFORE I PUT MYSELF THROUGH COMPUTER PROGRAMING CORSE AND HAVE TO WAIT LIKE 4 YEARS SO I CAN WRITE MY OWN JAILBREAK PROGRAM........

Autriche
December 19, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Help please!!! Mine keeps freezing on the pineapple logo. I have tried few times now but is not working. Is still freezing on the pineapple. What i am gonna do? please help!!
I have an ipod touch 4g 4.2.1

Saroha
December 19, 2010 at 2:57 AM

how to unlock sim after jailbreaking it.
i have tried repo666.ultrasn0w.com sources but no use.

ryan
December 19, 2010 at 7:47 AM

don't need to rename the file. when redsnow is browsing for the ipsw, go to the location you saved it to. it will be looking for *.ipsw . there is a text entry box beside it, just type in *.zip and it will show the zip file, select it and click next. it will work.

December 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I have a 3GS – SN: 8893569 and it's all working well, but it doesn't recognize my SIM card and cannot find my carrier.

Ali
December 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Alright. So i downloaded the 4.21 update as a ipsw. Ran Redsn0w in xp compatibility mode and as an administrator. it worked out all good and told me to put my ipod in DFU. once i did that, it started working, but it gets stuck at exploiting with limera1n for ridiculous amounts of time. whats the deal with that? what should i do

December 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM

WAGWAN

Yeeh, my iPhone 3G is jb'd on 4.1. To update to 4.2.1, do i need to restore?

Please reply ASAP yehh.

SAFE

c0.0kie
December 20, 2010 at 6:27 AM

Hi every one!
I've downloaded the toolbar but it wont let me download the 4.2.1 software from the toolbar... Please help me...
Thank you so much!!!

XC
December 20, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Ok, so I have been reading up on this because I am not the only one with this problem. I have the ipod touch 3g 8gb only to find out apple scammed those who bought it and its really a 2g. So when I would try to jailbreak it with the 3g firmware it would always get stuck on limera1n part. redsn0w dosent support ipod touch 4.2.1 MC firmware, and idea when this will be available?

XC
December 20, 2010 at 6:42 AM

Mine too. I found out that my ipod touch 3g 8gb is actually a 2g mc model. Redsn0w dosent work for MC models yet :/ wondering when it will be fixed?

fedros
December 20, 2010 at 11:24 PM

i have a lock iphone 4 with BB 2.10.04
when can i unock it?

Dig
December 21, 2010 at 9:12 AM

How do u re run it?
and where is '*just boot tethered*'

Austin
December 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Ok this is happening to mee too.
So I just cancel and retry while its still in DFU mode and it got a couple percent furhter then turned my iPod on.
Then I put it back into DFU mode by myself and try againg then it goes up to the reboot phase and gets stuck.
Then I use an old greepois0n jailbreak download to get it to revoot and it worked, but Cydia wasnt on my iPod. And I figure out how to jailbreak now?

ruben rocha
December 21, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Hello;

I have an iphone 3g 8GB, but whith only 6,9GB after my latestes jailbreak ios 4.1. whith greenpoison Saved SSH in cydya.

Now when i try to update to 4.2 whith redsnow, the process goes fine, but it doesnt update to 4.2.

Can you please help me? Why i only have 6,2 GB, and why can i not update to IOS 4.2.

Jason
December 22, 2010 at 2:14 AM

iPhone4 on 4.2.1 - When running redsn0w (as admin in XP mode) I get stuck at the ramdisk screen and have to do a full restore on the phone, any tips?

Happy Holidayz!

RooZ
December 22, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Since the System HD and HD for the apps is diferent . you have to delete some big apps before you will update your iphone to 4.2.1

TBag3O
December 22, 2010 at 3:03 AM

I have an iPT2g MC model and I know I am unable to jailbreak it but everyone said the dev team would make a jailbreak for it now but they havnt. I was also told that I could use tiny umbrella and downgrade but idk... Any ideas?

mike
December 22, 2010 at 6:21 AM

HELP!! i was a trying to do the reboot to activate cydia and something went wrong and my ipod went complete brick. wont even show the apple logo after holding the power button or holding the home and power at the same time. itunes wont even recognize the device. anyone have any ideas on how i can fix it?

Tebow
December 23, 2010 at 6:28 AM

hey Timo,
i tried to rename the file from .zip to .ipsw but now the file name says iphone1,2_...restore.ipsw.zip seems like i cant rename it, i downloaded it on my desktop and redsnow cant find the file, anybody else havin the same issure, my OS is windows vista

Juan
December 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM

i did as said in the instructions, but i got stocked, when i clicked my iOS 4.2.1 firmware (iphone 3g one) it didnt appear anything (no links)... HELP!

tony
December 23, 2010 at 2:46 PM

did you update your ios through itunes? when update on there, it also upgrades your baseband to an unlockable 5.14.04 or 5.15.04. you either have to update to 6.15 or remain unlockable until an update comes if one ever does

BOB
December 23, 2010 at 6:57 PM

OMG , it doesnt work after i finished all steps . "Cydia" was shown on my iphone , but when I open it , it doesn't show anythings . HELP ME !!!

robert
December 24, 2010 at 5:13 PM

yeah mine, has the cydia app, but it wont open. help. im scared.

Greg
December 25, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I have 3gs 4.2.1 model MC135LL serial 86001....I've tried with redsn0w 0.9.6b4 4.2.1 firmware and go thru steps, it freezes while exploiting. Ive also tried on my laptop and then iPhone won't power back on.

phreekin
December 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM

After you go through the install, you have to start over and just boot tethered. It will give you the instructions, step-by-step. At the end of the boot tethered, hold the Home button, until it finishes starting up. You will see the Pwnage Pineapple, instead of the Apple.

Sean
December 25, 2010 at 1:22 PM

hey bob,after you install the jailbreak, you need to re-run redsn0w one more time checking the "just boot tethered right now" option. After that it should work.

sob bobs older bother
December 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM

same here,

iphone 4 base 4.2.1 cydia is there but crashes within .5sec of starting. please help

young tech
December 25, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I have also confirmed that this does not work.
You will get through all steps butt Cydia will immediately close when you try to open it even after restart.

It's unfinished just wait for greenpois0n or limera1n release

ariona
December 26, 2010 at 1:18 AM

i cant jailbreak my ipod touch on limera1n i do everything it tells me than it says your done and blah blah blah but when i turn on my ipod its still not jailbroken ughhhhh
HELP ME PLEASE

Jake
December 26, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I got all the way to "wait to reboot your device" and nothing happened. The loading bar was frozen. Any help?

young tech
December 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Ok I stand corrected it works
After you jailbreak DO NOT run cydia yet
reboot with the tether from redsn0w then run cydia

Fixed all my issues this indeed works properly they just forgot to explain that part :D

I give this a 4/5 stars i LOVE IT!!!

louis
December 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM

same problem...everything works well past the dfu part, then the phone just wont recognize the sim

louis
December 26, 2010 at 7:56 PM

same

Kelly
December 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM

do not try it on 4.2.1 as stated above. when jailbreaking on 4.2.1 at this moment there is only one solution while using Redsn0w: check the box besides the following line "Just boot tethered right now" after doing this jailbreak make sure the battery isnt fully drained or else you have to redo the "Just boot tethered right now" (this also counts when installing tweaks that needs a reboot!)

Use at own risk! If you get moody/cranky while using this type of jailbreak then thats your own problem ;-)

Simon
December 27, 2010 at 3:51 AM

Btw I am not the website admin. Try the process again. It should work this time.

Simon
December 27, 2010 at 3:57 AM

Btw I am not the website admin. Try both recovery mode.

Hold down both HOME and SLEEP/WAKE buttons for 8 seconds, then simply releasing the SLEEP/WAKE button while still holding the HOME button for another 8 seconds. Then, whiles still holding the HOME button, plug it into your computer.

If that doesn't work, I would try downloading software to force it to reawaken. Just google that. If nothing else works, then you are one of the less than 1% of people who cannot get out of a bricked state. Sorry about that. Ive been there.

Logan
December 27, 2010 at 5:54 AM

Try different combinations of holding down the power and home buttons. I did that and it eventually showed the apple logo and turned on.

cristobal
December 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Hello. I was going fine with my 4.2 jailbreaked phone with redsn0w but I have the bad idea of reseting my device in adjustments and data. Now it is dead, i can't re-jailbreak it. I have no backup with cydia.

any ideas ?

thanks

raj
December 27, 2010 at 4:57 PM

need somw help with 3g got stuck on the logo i tried to jailbreak again and again does everyting right reboots 2 time and then gets stuck on logo or hoe do i restore and try again please help

Ryan
December 28, 2010 at 2:52 PM

actually just reboot tethered using redsn0w again and cydia and everything will work

computerguy
December 29, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I downloaded the jailbreak and tried to jailbreak my iPod Touch 4.2.1 and couldn't get cydia to open. Then I read the instructions given and it worked perfectly well. I believe if you first read and UNDERSTAND the instructions you will find that everything is fine. I now reboot and download unbelievable apps with my iPod Touch and love it. Thanks Dev Team you guys rock!

Drew
January 24, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Quote:
"Ok I stand corrected it works
After you jailbreak DO NOT run cydia yet
reboot with the tether from redsn0w then run cydia"

This worked after about this 3rd try. Thx

February 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Thank you so much!!!!! THANKS

October 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM

@fedros

Do you want to unlock network lock your iphone4? Yes means you can visit this site Unlock-zone.com here you can get the service and unlock your iphone4 network lock.

October 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM

@fedros

November 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM

the every ios have jailbroken i mean allready have cydia thanks