Remember that iPhone virus we wrote about here yesterday? Guess what, Apple has finally patched it! Today Apple released iPhone 3.0.1 which patches the exploit. Security expert Charlie Miller demonstrated the iPhone SMS Exploit in the Black Hat conference just yesterday, and It would of taken hackers at least two weeks to come up with a virus.
I knew Apple would come up with a patch, but I’m surprised that they were able to release it right after the day Charlie Miller revealed the exploit. Charlie Miller had notified Apple 6 weeks ago and they didn’t do anything.
If you’re an iPhone, iPhone 3G, or iPhone 3GS user you must update to iPhone 3.0.1, iPhone 3G 3.0.1, or iPhone 3GS 3.0.1 firmware.
How to update to iPhone 3.0.1
1. Connect your iPhone to your PC
2. Launch iTunes and click Check for updates
3. Click Update
4. An iPhone OS 3.0.1 software update box should show up, click Next. Read the license agreement (if you want) then click Agree and your download will start.
5. The file size is 297.7 MB. Once the iPhone 3.0.1 firmware is finished downloading it will install on your iPhone. This update just fixes the SMS vulnerability, and it is highly recommended you update!
iPhone 3.0.1 Download Links
Having trouble downloading iPhone 3.0.1 firmware through iTunes? No problem, you can directly download your iPhone 3.0.1 IPSW file using any of the links below.
- iPhone 3.0.1 download (iPhone1,1_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw, 229 MB)
- iPhone 3G 3.0.1 download (iPhone1,2_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw, 230 MB)
- iPhone 3GS 3.0.1 download (iPhone2,1_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw, 298 MB)
If you know any one else using an iPhone, be sure to remind them to update to this latest firmware! There is no iPod Touch 3.0.1 firmware update, this update is just for iPhone users.
iPhone 3.0.1 Jailbreaking information
Yes, jailbreaking does work with the iPhone 3.0.1 update for all iPhone users, but a jailbreak for it has not been released yet. Stay tuned, we’ll make a post here once an iPhone 3.0.1 jailbreak is released.
Update: Here is an iPhone 3.0.1 jailbreak and unlock guide.