Home » » Jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1

Jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1

Written By Hans Berger on Saturday, August 1, 2009 | 5:33 AM

The iPhone 3.0.1 update was recently released. If you want to jailbreak any iPhone running on  iPhone OS 3.0.1, you must use redsn0w 0.8. This post will show a step-by-step tutorial on how to jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1 with redsn0w.

Note:

1. redsn0w only recognizes iPhone 3.0 firmware (not 3.0.1 yet!), although you are running firmware 3.0.1 you must still download iPhone OS 3.0 firmware for your device.

2. The recent iPhone 3.0.1 update does not fix the iPhone 3GS hole, so it's safe for iPhone 3GS users to update. If you downloaded a purplera1nday file or your iBec or iBSS for iPhone 3GS you don't need to redownload it because it's identical in this update.

First you must download redsn0w for Windows, Mac, or Linux from here.

redsn0w 0.8 works for Phone 3.0.1, iPhone 3G 3.0.1, iPhone 3GS 3.0.1, iPod Touch 3.0, and iPod Touch 2G 3.0.

1. Download the iPhone OS 3.0 IPSW file for your device and save it to your desktop. Here are the file names for each device, make sure you have the right one:

• iPhone 2G - filename: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw [download link]

• iPhone 3G - filename: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw [download link]

• iPhone 3GS - filename: iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw [download link]

2. Open the redsn0w 0.8 application to jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1.
3. Click the Browse button.redsn0w browse

4. Locate your device's IPSW file that you downloaded in step 1 and click Open.
Browse for IPSW

5. The redsn0w window will have the "IPSW successfully identified" message. Click the Next button to continue.
IPSW Successfully Identified

6. redsn0w will ask you to "Please select which options you would like to have". Make sure the Install Cydia box has a check mark and then click Next.
redsn0w select options

7. redsn0w will ask you to make sure your device is both OFF and PLUGGED IN to your computer. Make sure you plug in your device in to your computer and then turn it off. Click Next once you have done this.
redsn0w - Make sure your devices is OFF and PLUGGED IN

8. redsn0w will now ask you to connect your device in DFU mode, you must do this properly to jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1.

1. Hold down the Power button for 3 seconds

2. Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (bottom center button) for 10 seconds

3. Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button for 30 seconds

• If you don't do this properly you will get a DFU Mode Failed message and you'll have to go back to step one.

redsn0w DFU Mode

9. Once your device has successfully entered DFU Mode, redsn0w will show the following message: "Please wait while your device is being jailbroken. Waiting for reboot." Your device should reboot after this. If redsn0w is stuck on Waiting to Reboot, unplug your USB cable quickly and plug it back in. The jailbreaking process should continue after tha.

10. Once your device has rebooted redsn0w will start uploading the RAMDisk and kernel.

11. After everything has been successfully uploaded to your device, redsn0w will have; the "Done!" message. Your device will now reboot and you should see the Cydia app on your SpringBoard. Your iPhone is now jailbroken!

Unlock iPhone 3.0.1

See the iPhone 3.0.1 jailbreak and unlock post to unlock your iPhone 3.0.1.

Rastaino
August 1, 2009 at 5:37 AM

I have a 3G jailbroken. Will I be able to restore all the settings I had before updating to 3.0.1 when I jaibreak it again?

RFC
August 1, 2009 at 6:21 AM

Search cydia for aptbackup then run it and back up. Once you have re-jailbroken search it again on cydia then run it and restore. I done this and never lost a thing on my 3G.

Mike
August 1, 2009 at 6:37 AM

This doesnt work for me.

I updated in itunes and then went through red sn0w with the ipsw file, but it sticks on the 'waiting for reboot' page and doesnt unstick even when i take out the usb quickly.

the phone turns back on but doesnt jailbreak.

any ideas???

August 1, 2009 at 6:55 AM

i am going to download 3.0.1 onto my iPhone 3G. Do I go through theses steps after I have updated in order to have all of the Cydia apps and utilities that I am using now, pre-update? and if so, which of the 3 downloads offered above?

RFC
August 1, 2009 at 7:08 AM

@Pate

1. install and run aptbackup (from cydia) then back-up.
2. download and install 3.0.1 onto your 3G using iTunes.
3. download redsn0w 0.8 to jailbreak.
4. download the second link of the three above (for 3G) and save it to desktop or somewhere you will remember.
5. run redsn0w 0.8 and use the IPSW file you just downloaded.
6. install and run aptbackup (from cydia) then restore.

Jevison
August 1, 2009 at 7:08 AM

This won't work under Windows 7 (RTM Build) without running redsn0w as admin and under Vista compatiablity mode. It'll just crash.

Justin
August 1, 2009 at 7:12 AM

It tells me to put my phone in recovery mode then once I do it I can click next but when I follow the instructions nothing happens. Any idea why the instructions in this tut does not follow the program its self?

Kai
August 1, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Does this update fix the overheating problem and the battery drain?

Nicolai
August 1, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I kno this is pointless but is there anyway to get 3.0.1 on a iPod touch 1G

Jesse
August 1, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I upgraded to 3.01 with the hopes of wifi working again but no it didnt it hasnt been working since 3.0, can anyone help on this i have a iphone 2g thanks

owen
August 1, 2009 at 9:08 AM

hey thanks man that was easy and it was my first time doing it

Ray
August 1, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I updated my iPhone 3G to 3.0.1 then Jailbreak with redsn0w-mac_0.7.2.3. Is this okay? Or, do I need to re-jailbreak with redsn0w-mac_0.8?

August 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM

In any way no.
You could download aptbackup, but most applications aren't yet up to date and don't work on 3.+ but if you're not worried about a few pllication malfunctioning for a while I'd say go for it.

iCizzle
August 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Works on 3GS

MMJ
August 1, 2009 at 10:55 AM

i downloaded and installed OS3.0.1 and then ran RedSnow to get it Jailbroken... once all done successfully, i lost everything, all the settings, the Apps show installed but i dont see them, my categories folders all gone ... any help in recovering it all ?

Anthony
August 1, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I have a 3g jailbroken on 3.0. So what do i do now to get 3.0.1?? Im worried that if i plug in my phone to itunes and update to 3.0.1 it might brick it. So can someone please gimmie the steps on how to re-jailbreak my phone without loosing anything or screwing anything up?

Anthony
August 1, 2009 at 11:41 AM

^^^^also, once i do get 3.0.1 will and jailbreak it again, will my phone still have all the apps a already through cydia or will they be gone? so is it really worth getting 3.0.1 or should i just wait for 3.1?

Ray
August 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

It works with pwange tool also no need to do it with redsnow if u have mac

jailbreak lover
August 1, 2009 at 2:16 PM

i have a 3g and used redsnOw. After i jailbroke, installed some packages from Cydia, and after a while cydia started crashing every time i opened it.i even tried refreshing, rebooting, and hard rebooting (home and power for 10 sec). so i tried using aptbackup which i had previously installed, but it deleted all of mhy appstore apps and i still had the problem. so i deleted all my stuff through icy, and still had the problem. i am currently restoring my phone to factory defaults, then i'll rejailbreak restore from backup, and sync.
the apps i downloaded were: winterboard, five cuolumn springboard, fiverows, SBSettings, stefwiz, and all sources (if you were wondering what i got.)

winson
August 1, 2009 at 3:56 PM

On the starting is works well but behind on the red snow 0.8 is shows done but on my iphone its on the screen downloading jailbreak Data...
my iphone is 3g and on firmware 2.2

ppw
August 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Hi, I tried to upgrade my iphone from 1.14 to 3.01, but failed. I installed 3.01 through itune and use redsn0w. However, redsnow 0.8 stops at 'Wait for reboot' for more than 2 hours. Is there any methods that I can restore/downgrade the firmware back to 1.14 or 1.13? Please help... thank you.

Jason
August 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM

not for me well actually i turned off UAC and i didnt need vista compatability

nerd
August 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM

question if i am stuck on waiting for reboot do i still have to hold the home button while unpluggin the usb?

mario
August 1, 2009 at 7:14 PM

no you dont, you can let go of the home button and just unplug the usb and reconnect it..

August 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I pretty much did all teh steps listed... it's still on a blank screen... I clicked on "DONE" how long is this "reboot" supposed to last...?

Ernani
August 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I had a problem as well. Adter following all the instructions my Iphone is frozen with a draw of a guy saying something in russian at the screen.

August 1, 2009 at 9:59 PM

when screen in blank, unplug USB cable then re-plug straightaway. wait 30 sec
installation will resume

August 1, 2009 at 10:01 PM

it worked fine on my 3G, but synch software from hackulo dot us does not install anymore

Graham Morris
August 1, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Thanks to all who help develop this stuff.

mma
August 2, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Can i do this if my phone is not activated by att

AkiraSendoh
August 2, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Same here. I got frustrated when I unplugged but nothing happens. There's a time that my iphone got blank screen but the redsnow say it's already done. I hope there's someone who know how to fix this. Thanks in advance.

erthicalBob
August 2, 2009 at 2:34 AM

One tip. I've watched a few videos and the upgrade has taken a long time on tne 3GS 3/ update 3.0.1

if you fully restore the iphone to factory settings and have only the base apps on your phone - it works a lot faster with fewer hiccups.

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT FIRMWARE FOR YOUR PHONE - that was hanging me up quite a bit.

GP
August 2, 2009 at 2:43 AM

From where do i download my ipsw file??????
HELP

gummby85
August 2, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Do I have to upgrade to OS 3.0.1 before I jailbreak or do I jailbreak and then upgrade? I have a jailbroken phone running the OS 3.0 and will I lose all my current jailbroken apps in doing this?

MS
August 2, 2009 at 3:12 AM

i'm trying to run the ipsw on my laptop but its not giving me the icon you are showing its giving me a zip folder.... i dont understand why this is?

Rb76
August 2, 2009 at 3:47 AM

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm trying to jailbreak the Iphone 3G and have followed the instructions as outlined. However, redsn0w .8 has stopped on "Uploading Device Tree". I'm using the Windows version of redsn0w. Is there anything wrong or does this step take a bit? It's been at this step now for about 15 minutes and the progress bar hasn't moved past 3 bars. Thanks!

Drew
August 2, 2009 at 3:59 AM

Will this restore the iPhone and erase all music?

Rb76
August 2, 2009 at 4:07 AM

NM...Got it. FYI...You HAVE to run as Administrator if running Vista (Or Windows 7 I'm assuming) or the Jailbreak won't complete. May I suggest adding that note in the instructions for Windows users? Other than that, thanks for such a great, easy process. I NEVER thought it would be so easy to Jailbreak my Iphone. You guys rock!

Bob
August 2, 2009 at 4:22 AM

I've got the same problem as MS, When I download the ipsw for 3G it's just a file that I need to unzip and when I do that it also doesn't show the icon it should show.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
August 2, 2009 at 4:49 AM

Edit: I first downloaded it with MS IE, and it didn't work with that, I also downloaded the ipsw with Modzilla firefox and now it did show the right icon, I also finished jailbreaking now. Thanks to the ppl who made Redsn0w and this tutorial.

st
August 2, 2009 at 4:53 AM

i've had no signal on my iphone for a while now does anybody know how to fix this problem???

Long
August 2, 2009 at 5:05 AM

Simply rename the extension from .zip to .ipsw. This should solve the problem.

Marcus
August 2, 2009 at 5:07 AM

does this update hve the same overheating problem
3.0 ?

Dalatowski
August 2, 2009 at 5:16 AM

It gets all the way to where it says installing device tree... then an error pops up and says that redsnow.exe will not respond... and my iphone is stuck on the downloading jailbreak data screen...

any help?

When i X out of the error screen it shuts off redsnow...

moobelle
August 2, 2009 at 5:19 AM

I try to do it to my iPhone 2G. I did all process as you mention and get "Done!" now. But my iPhone doesn't reboot and it keeps showing "Downloading Jailbreak Data..."

What should I do? Now I can't even sync to itunes normally, I need to restore it.

francisco
August 2, 2009 at 5:53 AM

i am having the same problem, can´t find the ipsw file.

August 2, 2009 at 5:58 AM

Hi i currently have an iphone 3g running jailbroken 2.2.1, i want to install 3.0.1 to get the virus protection patch.
Reading the above guide, once i re-jailbreak using redsn0w 0.8 and having to use 3.0 firmware; will i then loose this patch?

August 2, 2009 at 6:07 AM

In the tutorial, where is says which file is for your phone, there is a link. You can download through there.

Scooby14
August 2, 2009 at 6:26 AM

Unzip it!!!

Xyros
August 2, 2009 at 6:58 AM

Don't work for me.
What's wrong`?

roel r
August 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM

on step 9 if unplugging fails.. leave ur iphone as it is and just restart the redsnow and re do the steps 1 to 9 until your iphone reboots.. as for me when i execute step 5, my iphone reboots...

Boss
August 2, 2009 at 9:41 AM

i ve done everything as said on this page but the rebot won't work even if i unplug my usb cable...It says waiting for reboot and my iphone wont turn on anymore...Anyone??

yoney
August 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM

i just jailbroke my 3gs and never got the screen with all the hold button for 2 sec then hold home button and all that. I didnt do it but it seems my phone is jailbroken and so far no problems. should i just let it be or should i re-jailbreak it? i even got hackulo and it so far works fine. Could it be that I didnt need to go through that step?

theharmoxinizer
August 2, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I tried this method s couple times. ive jailbroken my phone before the 3.0 update. This works until i get to the point where it says "waiting for reboot" then i get a message from windows saying redsnow has encounterd and problem and must close. then it closes and im stuck having to recover my phone and re-sync it. Ive tried it on 4 differnt computers with the same result. can anybody help? email me lboogie30@hotmail.com

RFC
August 2, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Try downloading another redsn0w 0.8 and run it as administrator.

redrum215
August 2, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I have iphone 3g 2.2.1 and want to upgrade to 3.0 what do I need to do? I have tmobile USA.

MIchael
August 2, 2009 at 11:09 AM

HI, Ive been trying to unlock my iphone 3G from 3.0.1 but Ive had the same problem, when it is "rebooting" appears an "error" window from windows and it just doesnt work. ANYONE? help me please. Thanks.
mike_cr8804@yahoo.com

Marcus
August 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM

ok so name all the problems and i want to know 1 thing does this new 3.0.1 update have the same overheating problem as the 3.0 ? and what is the difference between the to

scorpiohead
August 2, 2009 at 12:10 PM

GUYZ.. WHO GET THE "WAITING TO REBOOT" PAUSE AND NOTHING HAPPENS AFTERWARDS .. I TRIED EVERYTING AND FIGURED OUT THAT YOU MUST USE THE "iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw" ONLY which is located up here ... AND I MEAN IT -O N L Y- THIS .ipsw with the size 235 mb .. cause if u try even other firmware 3.0 it wont work .. and yes it will pause waiting for the reboot and wont reboot ... :)

hope it will now work with everyone

August 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM

hi i jailbroke my iphone 3g and everytime i download things in cydia lik winterboard or anything to restart the springboard my iphone bricks. i have done the restore process every time it bricks....but each time i jailbreak it it still bricks cause of the springboard.....any help or sugestions that may help me plz respond back

John
August 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM

It said done, but Cydia is not there.

Simo
August 2, 2009 at 1:10 PM

@ Marcus

3.0.1 is just a patch to fix the sms vulnerability. 3.1 might fix the overheating and battery life problems when it's released.

cody
August 2, 2009 at 1:19 PM

i cant even get past the first step. i download firmware where it says download link and i unzip but redsnow cannot find the ipsw file.... what am i doing wrong??

Noodles
August 2, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Hi. I can't connect to the DFU mode. I did everything that redsn0w said and it still wont work. Help me please. Thanks

Max
August 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I am running 3.0.1 (not jailbroken yet) and I want to jailbreak it.

1.) How can I maintain all my contacts and program info? (can't use program off cydia yet)

2.) After it's jailbroken, will itunes still recognize the device and be able to communicate with it?

Thanks

jonathon
August 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM

hey whats this shit i cnt get it to work at all

Chad Hanks
August 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Awesome.

Un-fucking-believably easy to use. Apt Backup worked and everything.

Now, to spend the next 3 days tweaking.

Much appreciation, sirs.

el-K
August 2, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I noticed a couple of people asked about this:
When you download the firmware, simply remove the ".zip" extension and keep the ".ipsw" so it becomes a firmware rather than a zip file that you can open. silly i know, but works.
Thanks for the great post!

Marcus
August 3, 2009 at 1:05 AM

ok so i just jailbroke my ipod 2gen 3.0 software to the 3.0 software with redsn0w. I didnt do 3.0.1 because everyone is talking about how it may cause some virus. Should i expect this to overheat because it got a little warm before i jailbroke and im just wondering is it because of the new software or because its just been on a while trying to switch over

Marcus
August 3, 2009 at 1:06 AM

There is a option tab on itunes to save all your contacts and info
check up on it

Marcus
August 3, 2009 at 1:10 AM

had the same problem all you have to do is WHILE your ipod cord is in turn the ipod off (important) then as soon as the process comes it be4 you click the next button to do it start holding the power button for a good 5 seconds then hold both home and power for about 15 then DO NOT LET GO OF the home button otherwise it will just freeze up in the process and you have to start over again. Unplugging and pluggin the cord back in quickly as others say is incorrect.

Tyler
August 3, 2009 at 1:28 AM

THIS SUCKS ASS!!! I have done everything I could to unplugging it, to download the firmware at the top (which did not work), and to restarting it during the jailbreak process. If you ask me "redsn0w" needs to get their shit together before they release a program that does NOT work.

DERRRRRR
August 3, 2009 at 3:55 AM

Redsnow worked fine for me on the now 15th phone i have jailbroken. Follow the instructions and it will work fine. Its not rocket science and redsnow is the only one that has their "SHIT" together.....

icstupidpeople
August 3, 2009 at 5:06 AM

Worked for me THANKS!! I guess Tyler needs to get HIS shit together. Thanks redsn0w!

tyler sucks
August 3, 2009 at 5:23 AM

haha.. I think you have to worry about your grammar if anything.
REDSNOW works fine, and no one can complain
since they do it for their own reason and not for money and greed.

if you seriously can't get it... you are failing at life.
its same as jailbreaking before, and they even gave you screen shots!lol

rich4rdee
August 3, 2009 at 5:25 AM

do you have to click next to start the DFU mode or can you enter DFU mode without going through the prompts?

tuxio1000
August 3, 2009 at 6:24 AM

hello,

redsnow does work on 3.0.1 no doubt about that. but problems occur after the jailbreak. everytime i switch of the iphone or when it has to restart after installing a programm it freezes in the restartingprocess. it just stucks at the apple image so have to restore in order to use it again. today was 4 th restore.

is there somebody who has clue why and what the solution for this problem could be?

gc
August 3, 2009 at 6:34 AM

this is great! love the DEV team for doing this !

cody
August 3, 2009 at 7:05 AM

i did unzip. there is no ipsw file... do i rename one of the files or something?

Anti"tyler"
August 3, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Tyler, how would this suck, just because you don't know what you are doing and can not follow directions? I laugh at you...

Thanks Quickpwn, works fine here.

cody
August 3, 2009 at 8:22 AM

maybe the 3gs download link is bunk or something???

Sanders
August 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Stuck at Waiting for Reboot, unplugging does not remedy the situation..

Using an iPhone 3GS if that makes any difference.

francisco
August 3, 2009 at 9:40 AM

i tried changing the file extension but nothing happened, i can´t find the ipsw file.can somebody help me

SadOne
August 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Unfortunately

Michal
August 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Hey, well done again redsn0w. Worked perfectly first time (as usual). Great work fellahs. Tyler is a big girlie man

Jojo
August 3, 2009 at 11:38 AM

How do I get the ipsw file? I've downloaded this thing and tried many different things but I still can't get it the way that's specified. PLEASE HELP!

jay
August 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM

mine worked just fine

GTA Charlie
August 3, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I've had the same problem. Maybe we should wait until a new version of redsn0w comes out. BTW, I'm on a 3G.

August 3, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I have been a pwnage tool user until today - when I mistakenly THOUGHT the ipsw for 3.0.1 on modmyi was a pre-pwned version I could simply restore to. NOPE! So now I am reading up on redsn0w and trying it - alas every single time I try this (OSX 10.5.7 on a POWER MAC, redsn0w .8, the 3.0 ipsw the devteam have for download) it sits at "waiting for reboot" for eternity. Apparently a common .7x redsn0w issue, can't seem to find many with this problem in .8 - any ideas? Would sure love to not have to update to 3.0.1 AGAIN. And redsn0w seems like a quick option!

Heli
August 3, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Hi there just one question does winterboard work with this jailbreak??

boxingbob
August 3, 2009 at 4:35 PM

When downloading, save type as all files instead of ".zip". I'm using vista and it worked perfect for me. Also, add the ".ipsw" extension

Justcruzinbye
August 3, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Worked fine for me, updated to 3.0.1 still have tethering and currently restoring apps! Could not ask for a smoother process.

AB
August 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Make sure you download with firefox browser.

Dakota
August 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Mine has been stuck on "uploading ramdisk" for an hour is it slow or messed up?

omanifox
August 3, 2009 at 9:14 PM

where i can dawnload cedia

Hugo
August 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM

If tried downloading iPhone 3G - filename: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw [download link] but there is no ipsw file what am i doing wrong?

first timer
August 4, 2009 at 12:33 AM

I did not understand how the zip file becomes a ispw file, im new to this things..

Kai
August 4, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Thanks for this. I was kinda scared to do it with all the negative comments. But it worked like a breeze. Didn't stall on the reboot and all my previous apps worked after the jailbreak and everything runs fine.

Dante
August 4, 2009 at 1:28 AM

I have a 3gs with 3.0.1....has this worked flawlessly for any other 3gs users? Damn negative reviews messing everything up :\

ROJO
August 4, 2009 at 1:53 AM

I must be crazy but everytime I browse with redsn0w it does not see any .ipsw files in the folders. PLEASE help, what am I doing wrong, I see the files in there when I browse through explorer but not redsn0w. HELP ME!!!!!!:-)

cody
August 4, 2009 at 2:13 AM

i cant get the ipsw file either. tried to unzip. tried to rename. nothing

Tai
August 4, 2009 at 2:13 AM

I have a quick question...my phone is on OS 3.0 right now and the phone have a charging problems!! does it happen to any of u guys??? and will this update solve the problem?? THANKS!!

JF
August 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Echoing the stuck at "waiting for reboot" problem. Using a 3G phone, 3.01 on the phone, pointing redsn0w 0.8 at 3.0 ipsw. Unplugging the USB does not solve the problem.

Lars
August 4, 2009 at 3:48 AM

To Cody:

Use CMD to change the file extension. You just copy the name of the directory where you keep your ZIP file. Them open Start, Run, And type CMD. When the CMD opens you write this: cd "directory path". Do not type in directory path, but just glue in what copied earlier. Press enter. When that is done, you type in: rename *.ZIP *.ipsw Then your done. This worked great for me. And the jailbreaking process aswell. :) Great tutorial! ;)

sands
August 4, 2009 at 4:23 AM

It's not recognizing for me either with 3GS3.0 IPSW. What's the deal?

banjo
August 4, 2009 at 4:44 AM

fantastic 3rd time a charm for me...i went to fast. I sugest everyone who is trying this READ EVERYTHING very carefully... 100% working nice!!

LaMoni
August 4, 2009 at 5:24 AM

Hey need your expertise. I have the iPhone 3GS is there any way during the jailbreak process that can cause my iPhone to no work or be fixed? My biggest worry that it will leave my iPhone inoperatable. Can anyone verify this? Please email me at lamoni@comcast.net
thanks

jing-jing
August 4, 2009 at 5:29 AM

use a firefox to download the ipsw it will extract the file as ipsw i have the same problem before. good luck

mandremaniac
August 4, 2009 at 5:31 AM

Can this work with my 2G iPhone? As for now I'm using 3.0 but my Notes seems not working AT ALL... Can v3.0.1 fix that?

jing-jing
August 4, 2009 at 5:36 AM

this is for everybody that has a problem donwloading ipsw using windows. use mozilla to download the file it will automatically extract the file for you as a ipsw file and after this use redsnow to jailbreak your iphone. good luck and have fun with your jailbreak iphone.

dete
August 4, 2009 at 6:37 AM

The file is there i've just download it.

nadir
August 4, 2009 at 7:04 AM

i downloaded 3.0 on my iphone 2g. after jailbreaking i am facing problem in my phone battery life. the phone battery gets drained out very fast. the phone gets hot also while charging. please advice.

Furdar
August 4, 2009 at 7:07 AM

If you are in a Mac, remember to use firefox to download the ipsw file, if you use Safari, the file doesnt work.

Furdar
August 4, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Nadir, i have the same problem, also a friend of mine, doesnt know how to fix it yet..... hope 3.01 will fix something...

LaMoni
August 4, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Just rename the zip file extension to .ipsw that's all. Anyone read my post earlier?

maan_27
August 4, 2009 at 8:53 AM

NO it has to download as a ipsw file ONLY if it shows a .zip file then your download is incomplete or broken!

Meg
August 4, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I had the same problems of many others: redsn0w is stuck on Waiting to Reboot. I managed to go further by rebooting manually my iPhone (sleep and home at the same time), then I put it in recovery mode in the same way, and redsnow starts to do its job and I arrive to see "Done". After I clicked on "Done", the iPhone should reboot itself, but it doesn't. The screen remains gray and the only way to reboot it is to do that manually, but after this, nothing has been installed and I don't have Cydia yet.
I'm getting crazy....

LaMoni
August 4, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Wrong. It downloads as a zip

Magnus
August 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Is it possible you have the wrong IPSW file? There are 3 of them, the iPhone 2G, the 3G and the 3GS.

jocatiro
August 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM

it did not work for me.

everything went well all thru the process, but it is not working on the other SIM card.

victor
August 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM

after your phone is jailbroken, are you still suppose to update through itunes

Krip0ne
August 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I have probleme with wireless - it dont work !!! what i need to do ?

Robin
August 4, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Hello. I downloaded the redsn0w soft and then downloaded the iPhone soft for 3Gs but when I hit "browse" in redsn0w...all the files are grayed out when I try to access the ipsw ...

Not a technical dummy but this one is evading me...
Help please.

crazyMike
August 5, 2009 at 1:56 AM

It's not clear to me. Do I end up with my phone at v3.0.1 or 3.0?

Big_Mac
August 5, 2009 at 5:30 AM

You end up with 3.0.1 when you are done

banjo
August 5, 2009 at 6:01 AM

im going to try to help yall even though i DID learn via Trial & Error.....
ok
1.im using a PC not mac.
2. there IS a little more that you need to understand/ know about itunes. if your stuck in recovery mode plug in itunes will say bla bla in recovery mode cancle. ok recover & upgrade <--- fool proof failure proof.
3.MEG check your firmware again and again up above for info.
4. now as far as the unplugging part for it to load I believe that has something to do with the end USER computer not being (USB2.0}
5. I have the 3g 16g iphone i went from 2.2.1 to 3.0.1 <-- usind the 3.0 with red 0.8 like above. Now my second attempt was accomplished i went to cydia and did essentials upgrade then my phone crashed and went to hell my phone wouldn’t get out of an automatic restart mode.. nightmare
6.IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU?? its ok calm down you have to put your phone in duf mode or RESTORE mode and refer to #2 of this blog... sorry I couldn’t help you personally...... but hope to help the majority ill be back laters- Time is money.

blackberry
August 5, 2009 at 6:22 AM

I tried to J/B my Iphone 3G running 3.0.1 - 50 times, it gets to "waiting to reboot" and the phone is (dark) and the RedSn0w program just sits there waiting. I tried the this -no kidding 50 times, I can reset the phone and start the process again, I allowed ITUNES to restore my phone several times to no avail.... any suggestions ?

banjo
August 5, 2009 at 7:14 AM

idk why you’d keep doing it more than 10 times?? lol I understand though make sure you have the right {{{iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore}}}} FOR YOUR 3G iphone downloaded on your desktop.. it should have a White Lego cube like appearance with a blue music note on the left side and a small black ipod on the right side…
If it doesn’t work check your versions ahh maybe upgrading iTunes somehow messes with this process?? I didn’t upgrade itunes so I don’t know, I used 8.2. And that very well could be an issue. try a New restore/upgrade to 3.0.1 all over again.... your going to have to take your time, this can be done correctly! then again it could have alot to do with a (ones) computer background/ Knowledge.

lyncks
August 5, 2009 at 7:51 AM

it says in the guide, if it's stuck, just plug it out and back in fast and it goes on flawlessly
good luck

Tigs
August 5, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Can I still use itunes as normal?

August 5, 2009 at 9:15 AM

this isn't unlocking, this is jailbreaking. if you wanna unlock to use a tmobile sim, go into cydia and download ultrasnow.

August 5, 2009 at 9:17 AM

not sure if this is the same issue i had, but when i jailbroke my 3G i had to download the firmware using firefox, not internet explorer. internet explorer automatically saves it as a zip file.

good luck!

August 5, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Are you using a 64 bit OS? I attempted jailbreaking on my 64 bit vista system a million times until I figured out that was the issue. It has to be done on a 32 bit system or a mac. if you've got a second hard drive and an OS disc, try what I had to do and install a 32 bit version on the second HD if your feeling techy, if not, find a friend that isn't running 64 or has a mac and be like hey can I borrow that real quick to do something slightly illegal? Heh

Redsn0w would go through it's whole thing and say done or get stuck on waiting to reboot and my phone would do nothing except stay black. I kept having to restore from iTunes... your prob sounds exactly the same as what was happening to me.

August 5, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Yes, itunes will operate as it did before. you can still sync and do everything the same, but if apple comes out with a new firmware update, don't install it, this will kill your jailbreak :D

lauren
August 5, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Hey Blackberry, were you able to get it to work? I'm having the same issue as well where redsn0w says waiting to reboot, but never does. Do ya'll have any other suggestions?

JSpin
August 5, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I have a Iphone 3.0.1 and im stuck in waiting to reboot i already tried connecting and disconnecting several times already i need help

Cortiz
August 5, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Alright so I followed all the beginning steps of obtaining the programs needed for the exception of Step 1 ... I downloaded the file I needed for my 3Gs 3.0.1 for PC using FIREFOX and the following link

The link above on step 1 downloaded a RAR file and it just didn't seem to work and it took 30 mins to download ... so I found the link that I just posted above ... I copied/pasted into FireFox ... Firefox asked me if I wanted to open to iTunes ... I choose save and the downloaded started ... Once the download was complete I cut/paste the file onto my desktop as FireFox downloads everything in a preset location.

After that I followed the rest of the steps on this site and on my first try it worked ... Very happy!!!!!

darren
August 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Sigh..Guys, after I have downloaded the iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw zip file...I unzipped, but cannot locate the .ipsw file to run through redSn0w, as on this instruction...someone please advice me...

earlhop
August 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM

darren, if you get a reply, please let me know, I'm haveing the same problem...

sydeny
August 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM

hey just jailbreaked my iphone 3gs all good so easy firt u update with itunes to 3.0.1 then u use redsn0w 0.8 and when it ask to find the update on ur pc u find the iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw thats it

Ningles
August 5, 2009 at 3:29 PM

How come Redsnow doesnt reconize the ipsw file? I downloaded iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore but it says it doesnt reconize specified IPSW... Any suggestions? I upgraded my iphone to 3.0.1 and i dont have my original sim to activate it so its basically stuck on the activation screen. Any help will be appreciated! :)

Darien
August 5, 2009 at 4:08 PM

ive been doing this for over four hours i am very frustrated at this point. i downloaded redsnow(great!). i downloaded iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw and i look for it in redsnow and it wasnt there(at first)then, i extracted the ipsw files and it says this:"there is already a file with the same name as the folder you specified
specify a different name"
the file is:
.fseventsd
type:FSEVENTSD

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!
i am going to go nuts

thanks-Darien lynn.

Jailbreak Helper
August 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM

To everyone needing help when downloading the file:

Don't use Internet Explorer to download the .ispw file, it just sees it as a ZIP or RAR file. Use Firefox to download the file and it saves it as a .ispw file.

I hope this helps. I know when I started jailbreaking/unlocking it took me forever to figure out how to save it as the .ispw file type.

Good luck!

Geoff Jankowski
August 5, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Hi

Followed instruction but there was an unlock option in Redsn0w. I selected it but it then asked for files so I went back and unchecked it and continues as per instructions. Work perfectly first time.

However, I have not had to unlock the phone! It simply started and recognised my Vodafone card and all works without the unlock. Even iTunes is happy.

The only downside is that I lost one or two apps. If I restore, will these appear wihtout upsetting the jailbreak and unlock?

Geoff

Melissa
August 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

If you update it in Itunes, you'll lose all the jailbreak stuff. The new 3.0.1 upgrade eats and literally extracts (without a second prompt!) all the data, including legit app store apps.

Simons
August 5, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Ha ha, I got it!
But My iphone 3G got stuck during the process,
so I needed to unplug the USB to complete.
Anyhow, it is perfectly working now.

Thank you for this support page!!

KO
August 5, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Oops, i should have reply here.

Darien, don’t extract the file, rename the extension to .ipsw and you are good to go.

Guido
August 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Hello,

My redsn0w is stuck on Waiting to Reboot.
Also when I unplug my USB cable nothing happends...

What can I do?

Cheers!

MINH duong
August 5, 2009 at 9:28 PM

restore ur iphone throught itune and then restart jailbreaking and unlock ur iphone agian.... ---- i got the same problem like u ^^! ... good luck and have fun ^^!

Artur G
August 6, 2009 at 1:34 AM

I have upgraded my iPhone 2G from version 1.x to 3.0.1.

After using redsn0w with options (Cydia and Unlock), my iPhone stucks on bootloading. I see only the Apple logo.

The install process worked fine but now I’m stucked with it!

What should I do?

Arkngel
August 6, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Everything works Many Thanks !!!! Iphone 2G 3.0.1 Jailbroken & unlocked !!!

Artur G
August 6, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Fixed ;).

I have downgraded to 3.0 and after that I used again redsn0w 0.8 for Windows.

The problem that I think it was is that I didn't hold on the Power and Home button enaught (I didn't seen the full white screen).

Now it's all ok.

Presto
August 6, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Iphone 3g 3.0.1 only downloads as zipped file.. How do I work around that?

Joe
August 6, 2009 at 3:38 AM

Still confused with iTunes.

It asks to either set up a new phone, or restore from backup (backup was just before the jailbreak).

If I restore from backup, will it upgrade the firmware and kill the jailbreak?

Will
August 6, 2009 at 4:50 AM

Right click and select "extract all".

Ben
August 6, 2009 at 6:00 AM

@Presto

you need to change the extension if ur using vista go to folder options and then untick hide extensions for known file types and then right click in the .ipsw file and delete the extension .zip and put .ipsw in its place then Redsnow reads it

tre0808
August 6, 2009 at 6:27 AM

I went steip by step with the abive instructions, and it went through all of the motions but I still have versions 3.0 and when I connect to itunes it asks me if I want to download 3.0.1. What did I miss?

Dazzbo
August 6, 2009 at 6:41 AM

If i jailbreak my Iphone 3.01 will i lose all my installed and paid for legite apps??

Thanks.

Ben
August 6, 2009 at 6:59 AM

I did the full process and it says "Done" at the end but when I click Finish the phone doesn't turn reboot on its own. When I turn it off & back on after waiting several minutes, there's no Cydia app. I did a full restore from iTunes and repeated the whole process with the same result. Any ideas?

bellybelly
August 6, 2009 at 7:19 AM

mine showed as a zipped file too. I clicked on run instead of unzip all

Joe
August 6, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Still not sure what to do about iTunes! Do I "set up as new phone" or "restore from backup" (backup was done just before jailbreak)? Since upgrading the firmware re-jails the phone, what should I do?

August 6, 2009 at 8:02 AM

i downloaded the correct firmware files but when i browse using redsnow to find them the folders are blank how do i access them?

jimmy
August 6, 2009 at 9:15 AM

i cant seem to get the ispw for the phone...

Bilal Muslim
August 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM

How do I know which firmware to download.
My iPhone reads 3.o.1 7A400 and model MB500T. How do i also know that it is 3G or 2G?

Please Help

Brandon
August 6, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I have a jailbroken 3gs with 3.0 software - if i upgrade to 3.0.1 will i loose all my cydia installed software and have to re-jailbreak and re-install all my extras? if i upgrade using redsnow will that retain all my cydia installed software?

will
August 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM

use firefox

August 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM

loaded the redsn0w program all fine. in OS 3.0.1

step 8 was automatically skipped - i did not have to do this DFU mode.

cydia has loaded to my Springboard

thanks guys !!

pure
August 6, 2009 at 4:08 PM

i did everything but now cydia is acting up whats going on it wont load up i restored it 3 times n jailbroke it again and nothing pissing me off

Brian
August 6, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I just jailbroke my 3G and it worked fine. But, about 10 minutes after, it froze on me and now it's in safe mode all of the time. There's no way I can get it out of safe mode, it's stuck. I tried restoring from backup and no changes occur. Any help?

Thanks!

August 6, 2009 at 4:15 PM

i tap the cydia app it says loading data (spinning circle) then goes right back to the springboard WTF! how do I fix this PLEASE HELP ME

Dickson
August 6, 2009 at 4:28 PM

I went through the entire process, it's hanging on Downloading Jailbreak Data. redsn0w says it's Done! but, my iPhone refuses to reboot. What should I do?

jesus
August 6, 2009 at 5:39 PM

u updated my iphone 3g and i didnt take out my t mobile sim now i dont have service...what should i do?

MartinDublin
August 6, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Or just rename the file with the extension .ipsw instead of .zip

Davide
August 6, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I'm the only one that it don't work???? Redsn0w it's freezed on "Please wait while your device is being jailbroken"... Waithing for reboot. I triend to unplug the USB cable and reconnect it but nothing happen. Anyone can HALP ME !!!

kk47
August 6, 2009 at 8:04 PM

i dont know why but for some reason when i enter my iphone into DFU mode and when the jailbraking is just about to begin a message appears that redsn0w stopped working...CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

aj
August 6, 2009 at 9:35 PM

thankzz bro it worked

vrdumbos
August 7, 2009 at 1:26 AM

While using redsn0w, vista gave an error saying that redsn0w encountered an unexpected error and shut down the program, iPhone is stuch at the screen showing "Downloading Jailbreak Data..." I am not able to turn off the phone or do anything with it. Please help.

Ceph
August 7, 2009 at 3:12 AM

after jailbreaking i can no longer sync up with itunes i'm running 3.0.1 jailbroken.... it synced up for a while got most of my stuff on there and then all of a sudden it started getting sync errors! please help =(

ryan
August 7, 2009 at 4:54 AM

i had the same issue with it freezing on me whiling uploading. I just held the power on the phone until it shut off and started the process again.

But i had to do this 3 times, it seemed everytime i restarted the phone the upload got a little farther than before, and on the 4th attempt it finally went through.

cameron
August 7, 2009 at 7:01 AM

idk about u guys nut im running iphone 3gs 16gig and mine is running perfect iphone 2g sucks time for a upgrade

Inam
August 7, 2009 at 7:09 AM

For those of you having problems with the reboot. If you have an iphone 3gs like myself and were having problems with it not rebooting, make sure you use the right IPSW file. If you download the right IPSW for the 3gs which is linked above. Not the 3g which i was using. You wont have this problem. and should work fine.

I hope this helps :) it worked for me!

August 7, 2009 at 8:31 AM

hold the power button down for a while it will eventually turn off. i had the same problem

August 7, 2009 at 8:44 AM

4th times the charm. pain in the ass but def def def worth it

August 7, 2009 at 12:39 PM

worked like a charm :-)

Jack
August 7, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Piece of cake. Being Jailbroken is great.

rocketman
August 7, 2009 at 1:15 PM

for anyone running windows and having problems with hangups during transfer(jailbreaking or syncing) try restarting your apple mobile device service - successfully upgraded 2.2.1 jailbroken 3g iphone 8g to 3.0 jailbroken

Jesse
August 7, 2009 at 2:30 PM

iPod Touch 1g, 3.0 software, works perfectly.

**** Apple. The only reason I did this is because of the Google Voice rejection. Are you listening, Apple?!?!

Brian
August 7, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I fixed the problem I've been having with safe mode. I simply restored everything to factory default ( I lost over 400 pictures )... And then I re-jail broke the phone and it works perfect!!! It's definitely worth losing the pictures! It's awesome, thank you so much!

August 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Ya that is correct, it took me 4 attempts too. But what I can't be sure is whether it was sequentially getting better or I was pressing the buttons for the specified times more precisely.

However it worked like a charm.. great

Cristal
August 7, 2009 at 3:28 PM

That was a breeze.

August 7, 2009 at 3:31 PM

damnnnnnnnnnn man, I use to work with this jaibraiking since 2:00 AM on the morning up to 6:AM i still not make it work, I woke up at 11:00AM just cause i need to try and try again, i almost cry man, i tried vista, windows xp, and finaly, it works on my old laptop with sp2 damn, man, this is 100% working, thanks guys, and more power!

John
August 7, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I downloaded the 3.0 firmware for iphone 2g via the link, above, but when I try to point to it using redsn0w, I get nested folders, but no IPSW. What am I doing wrong?

Tariq
August 7, 2009 at 4:08 PM

After keeping my iPhone 3G locked and tied to Apple/AT&T, I am ready to jailbreak it. Since I was on the AT&T network, I never felt the need to unlock it or jailbreak it. But I now clearly see benefit in jailbreaking mine even while I am still on the AT&T network. My biggest reason for jailbreaking is to get SlingPlayer. I used to have Tilt before the iPhone and used to use that app very frequently. It sucks that Apple (AT&T's behest) wants to restrict me from what I can and cannot do on my iPhone.

I have a question for poeple here who have jailbroken. What happens to all my apps that are already purchased through the Apple's App Store? Do I lose them? Since it overwrites the firmware I am concerned if I will lose all my existing apps that are already installed on the device.

Francisco Santa Cruz
August 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM

It worked for me. Thanks!

But since I've installed this update I've been having a weird problem... My iPhone 3g can't send SMS to some people, and to others with no problem. Tried changing the SIM and nothing. I've put the SIM in another phone and sends. Very weird.

Is somebody having this problem?

jim
August 7, 2009 at 6:27 PM

worked perfectly first time...thx

kat
August 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM

i have the same problem..i it says waiting for reboot..i unplug the usb cable and quickly plug it back in and nothing. ive tried 4 times already...some please HELP!

sup rocket
August 7, 2009 at 8:08 PM

I need help i was trying to do this with my 2.2.1 iphone 3g but after i complete all the steps it get stuck on the downloading screen on the iphone awhat can i do>

hayman