Home » » You can now fully jailbreak iPod Touch 2G!

You can now fully jailbreak iPod Touch 2G!

Written By Hans Berger on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 | 10:17 AM

Are you an iPod Touch 2G owner? Today is a good day for you! The Dev-Team have finally released a patch with the codename "24kPwn" which will allow you to perform an untethered iPod Touch 2G jailbreak. Untethered means your iPod Touch 2G won't need to be rejailbroken every time you reboot your iPod Touch 2G. This patch will always make your iPod Touch 2G jailbreakable no matter what firmware Apple releases.  The Dev-Team were originally planning on holding on to this exploit until Apple released the next version of the iPhone so that Apple wouldn't patch it up but they were forced to release it today because another company somehow found this exploit and started selling it.

iPod Touch 2G Jailbreak

Currently the Dev-Team has not packaged this into an automated jailbreak tool yet. If you cannot wait for the official jailbreak release you can try QuickFreedom, a GUI iPod Touch 2G jailbreak software developed by @DanCool999 on iPod Touch Fans forums. Use QuickFreedom or any other iPod Touch 2G jailbreak software at your own risk, QuickPWN.com is not responsible for anything that happens to your iPod Touch 2G. If you plan on trying this jailbreak please join the forums and post your experience there so it helps out others.

via Dev-Team blog

hopper
March 12, 2009 at 2:12 AM

i love you guys... thank you so much! :D
great work and congratz on the jbreak..
good job, really :)

xDxDesigns
March 12, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Awesome my computer doesn't work o libusb so i will need to wait for the GUI QuickPWN Tool cant wait :)

Vivi
March 12, 2009 at 8:08 AM

You guys are great! i was able to jailbreak my itouch! Thanks!

kelvin
March 12, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Thanks very much. the Quickfreedom worked perfect on my ipod toch 2G...
Geat and really happy after long time waitin.
Damn this is good.

kelvin (required)
March 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Thanks very much. the Quickfreedom worked perfect on my ipod touch 2G...
Great and really happy after long time waitin.
Damn this is good.

diddy
March 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM

i need to jbreak my ipod touch 2g firmware 2.2.1 and there's no quick pwn software for that??? >.< i need help

mike
March 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM

amazing! love it =)

JASSAR
March 12, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I didn't do jailbreak before. Is it possible to achieve it on Mac OS 10.5.6????

Porkupine
March 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM

How do you get it to work? I downloaded the patch (or at least I think I did, I got a file called LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.patch) and I don't know what to do with it.

ped
March 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM

i keep getting the 1% error help!!!!!!!!!!!

Drunkdaddy
March 12, 2009 at 10:58 AM

FINALLY!!!!!

*Cries tear of joy*

But according to this, the dev team tried to hold off the update till the new firmware came out...

Meaning the jailbreak was completed a while back.

Whatever, I have it now!!

adam
March 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Yes!!!!! Finally! I tried redsn0w lite and it didn't work, but finally, there is a reliable jailbreak out! GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!

Ozzy
March 12, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Omg YES! lol Thanks Guys! U Guys freaking rock!

Dbad
March 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Ah, i've waited patiently for this =D
I hope it's worth what everyone says it's worth [:
can't wait to dl o.O I'm still too pussy so i'll wait for my friends to do it first xD

Jericho
March 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I swear to god, I'm crying right now :,) I love you all!!!

Umair
March 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM

thanks, did anyone had problems with it?
does it work fine for you guys?

Jd
March 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Tell Me plz... Does it Work??

Vivi
March 12, 2009 at 1:41 PM

You guys are amazing! Thank you all so much!

Joey
March 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Awsome!! Any ideas when it will be released? Using some tethered version tomarow to hold me over. Nothing else I've tried has worked. !!!!CANT WAIT!!!!

Haro
March 12, 2009 at 2:17 PM

when i have to restore it it just reboots it and nuthing happens

shylo
March 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM

ok, so how do i get the firm ware?

isabellanewbie
March 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I need help! This sounds great and I really want to Jailbreak my iTouch 2g but can I do it on a Macbook?
I don't understand how to do it, please help me.
Thank you!

stealthy777
March 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM

hellz yeah.....thats great....g/j guys thanx workn hard on it

mattthewhite
March 12, 2009 at 5:07 PM

how bittersweet
my imac is down and the 2gTouchPod jailbreak is up
when i figure out whats going on with my imac my girlfriend will be happy to have a proper jailbroken ipod
great work all around, 3g jailbreak was flawless and im sure this will be too

seb
March 12, 2009 at 5:39 PM

where do you get the 2g ipod touch 2.2.1 jailbreak file from

alex
March 12, 2009 at 8:47 PM

i download quickfreedom installed everything but the program does not create firmware. it does not stop or crash just not creating.
any1 has any tip?

BK
March 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM

this is awsome, first i heard rumours about jailbreak for 2. gen coaming out in january/feb and it did not come. Then i was so tired that i just jailbreaked it with a jailbreak helper that jailbreaked my ipod, but i had to reboot each time i wanted to turn it on after off...

Finaly i can turn it on/off when i want to. thanks to dev team :D

Hexion
March 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Thank you so much for provide the googlecode link...it so much faster...n thanks to the develop also....

Version cool (required)
March 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM

success!!! be patient... Hello guys please help regarding ssh this any body knw how to put ssh? i have already cydia and installer but no ssh package why?

Lolbongbong
March 13, 2009 at 12:19 AM

After the J'B my Wlan doesnt work !
whats wrong ??

Zinj
March 13, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Just one question really: "When? :'( "

jake
March 13, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Wheres the link to jail break the ipod 2g?

migui
March 13, 2009 at 4:10 AM

Thank you from Spain!

Jessica
March 13, 2009 at 4:14 AM

When's the next software release?

Jericho
March 13, 2009 at 5:19 AM

I've downloaded the patch....and don't know what to do. I'm lost....

T
March 13, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Great news! When is the next QuickPWN/PwnageTool release?

Thanks

Coonez
March 13, 2009 at 8:06 AM

I can't get past the DFU mode part it won't pick up my ipod in DFU mode

Paul Wilkerson
March 13, 2009 at 8:15 AM

You guys suck. You need to give clear instructions on how to jailbreak an iPod touch. I cannot jailbreak my itouch because of you guys. Thanks a lot.

March 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but if...
"This patch will always make your iPod Touch 2G jailbreakable no matter what firmware Apple releases."

Why was this [below] their reason for holding off all this time?
"The Dev-Team were originally planning on holding on to this exploit until Apple released the next version of the iPhone so that Apple wouldn’t patch it up..."

Again, I am probably just confused, ha. I'm not trying to call anyone out, just trying to understand.

JUSTAGUY
March 13, 2009 at 8:31 AM

the quickfreedom tool does everything fine but after i select the firmware in itunes i get the error message 1604 after a while

Cristian
March 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM

hey can some one post a link to the new patch for the itouch 2g? Please help!

brandon
March 13, 2009 at 10:05 AM

corrpupted file...lol never had that happen before

Braulio
March 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM

did you use quickfreedom or how did you jailbreak your ipod because i dont know how to jailbreak mine

Jericho
March 13, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Sorry for leaving 3 different messages. I have a question. What is LibUSB? I downloaded that last time and it put a virus on my computer. Are you sure this will work. I'm just afraid to have another virus on my computer

ipt2g owner
March 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Libusb-win32 is a port of the USB library libusb to the Windows operating systems (Win98SE, WinME, Win2k, WinXP). The library allows user space applications to access any USB device on Windows in a generic way without writing any line of kernel driver code

TYle
March 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Every time i download LibUSB it cripples my computer. mouse and keyboard dont function. HELP?

Alec
March 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM

hey i downloaded the patch and the LibSUB and well everything worked until the end. It would reload the ipod patch at the end.

pablo
March 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM

brother...don;t worry...is not a virus trust me...i have mi itouch with jail...LOL!!...god bless u

chino001
March 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM

do it works i swear it does and it rules dude

FESTIZEO
March 14, 2009 at 12:16 AM

THIS IS THE BEST AY OF MY LIFE SINCE BIRTH AND I AM 32yrs old

Harrison
March 14, 2009 at 2:50 AM

sorry lol
OMG I JUST JAILBROKE IT ITS AMAZNG!

ipodfan567
March 14, 2009 at 3:23 AM

i cant wait till it is packaged

March 14, 2009 at 3:45 AM

For now you can download QuickFreedom to try jailbreaking your iPod Touch 2G. If you get stuck on any part you can ask for help in the forums.

March 14, 2009 at 3:47 AM

Click here to download QuickFreedom. Join the forums if you encounter any problems or need help.

March 14, 2009 at 3:49 AM

You can download it from here.

March 14, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Please post your problem in the forums for help.

March 14, 2009 at 3:50 AM

There are ways to do it on a Mac but please post on the forums and I'm sure someone will be able to help you there.

March 14, 2009 at 3:51 AM

You can download QuickFreedom here to jailbreak it and you can also download the firmware 2.2.1 here if you don't have it.

March 14, 2009 at 3:52 AM

I've been hearing good results in the forums, it works!

March 14, 2009 at 4:04 AM

Rumor has it that Apple will be releasing a new iPhone some time in the summer. Now the iPod Touch 2G exploit is similar to the one in the iPhone. Once Apple sees that they could patch this exploit in the new iPhones.

March 14, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Please join the forums to get help.

March 14, 2009 at 4:10 AM

Search for OpenSSH in Cydia.

March 14, 2009 at 4:13 AM

It's almost completely automated. Just download the software from the link in this post and the program will tell you what to do.

March 14, 2009 at 4:14 AM

You can try the automated QuickFreedom jailbreak here and follow the instructions in the program.

March 14, 2009 at 4:14 AM

You may need to run the software again until it gets past that 1% error.

March 14, 2009 at 4:17 AM

The program is completely automated and tells you what to do in there. If you need help you can always ask in the forums.

March 14, 2009 at 4:19 AM

You can either wait for the iPhone Dev-Team to release a QuickPWN or PwnageTool release for it or you can download the QuickFreedom software here to do it. It shouldn't be hard to use QuickFeedom since it's automated and tells you what to do.

March 14, 2009 at 4:35 AM

Yes it's possible. Follow this tutorial at iClarified.

March 14, 2009 at 4:39 AM

You can subscribe to our feeds or check back at the iPhone Dev-Team blog.

jake951716
March 14, 2009 at 5:49 AM

It does work, but you have to re-load all your contacts, music, videos, podcasts, and apps. Don't restore it, it will undo the jailbreak.

mark
March 14, 2009 at 6:32 AM

this only for mac or does it work for windows???

bobby jo
March 14, 2009 at 6:58 AM

tyler
March 14, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Does quickfreedom work with vista?
Cause I'm having problems installing libSUB

Jericho
March 14, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Will this work on Windows Vista Home? Maybe that's what caused my computer to crash. BTW I still haven't tried the jailbreak so can anyone confirm this?

kelvin
March 14, 2009 at 8:59 AM

bobby jo says: March 14, 2009 at 1:58 pmi did quick freedom and it gave me my custom firmware so i restored my ipod with the custom firmware and my ipod came back on and nothing had changed exept that there were only the original apps on it.

All you need to do next is the SSH and your Mobileinstallation changes.
you know how it goes or just browse for more help.
But did u find the Cydia & Installer on the ipod ??

tyler
March 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM

when using quick freedom. does libUSB need to be installed??

Dbad
March 15, 2009 at 3:08 AM

I just jailbroke my 2g yesterday, the QuickFreedom application is very user-friendly, and prompts you exactly what to do. It even includes built-in links for installing additional software that you'll need, including the 2.2.1 firmware. I believe that anyone with the slightest bit of common sense can use this thing. Thanks very much. One more thing though, i find myself using Cydia 100% of the time, the Installer that comes with this is different from previous installers, and i find it harder to use (i'de say it's pretty useless =[ ...), but maybe i'm just noob >.<

Kasey
March 18, 2009 at 8:23 AM

im not sure if it works or not with vista but yes quickfreedom is having problems with libUSB. The problems occur after downloading libUSB. After you download libUSB it says you havent installed it? if that is whats happening to alot of people. (includeing me) there is nothing you can do eccept wait for quickpwn's incrediable software to make an autamated one... or try and fix the stupid software quickfreedom uses.

Padro
March 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Im here to tell u that I just rescently hacked my ipod touch 2g, if
u cant wait for the dev team to make a quickpwn or pwnagetool just use quickfreedom , its perfectly safe and incredibly simplistic :), the process takes abou 7 minutes and its actually kinda fun .

April 2, 2009 at 10:54 AM

for some reason everytime i try to install the custom firmware on Quickfreedom an error pops up saying: an error occured during process!
does anyone know why

April 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM

For those of you with vistas, you must go into the quickfreedom folder, go into the Files folder and right click on InstallLibUSB, go to properties, click the Compatibility tab and change the "Run this program in compatibility mode" dialog to Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Without doing this, LibUSB will not be installed correctly. Enjoy! :) the jailbreak works wonderfully

April 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM

yeah it does work

April 18, 2009 at 9:31 AM

When will quickpwn be released? Can someone at least give me a 'about' date. Next week....month.....year....?

April 24, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Yea it does cuz i used quickfreedom to jalbreak 6 ipod touchs on vista. What u have to do is....
1. right-click on libUSB
2. click properties
3.and click the compatibility tab
4.then check/click the box "run this progam in ompatibility for" and make sure it says Windows XP Service pack 2.
5.click apply and thats it. It should work now.

May 5, 2009 at 11:15 PM

hey guys, i used quickfreedom and i fuked up my ipod touch 2G. Now my ipod touch screen is black with no apps in it. the only thing i see is the picture with USB and i tunes. Also i was trying to restore but did not work because i got the ERROR 13 message everytime i restored my ipod. SO PLEASE HELP!

May 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Once you install libSUB your computer will begin to mess up.As sonn as you restart your computer you will have the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH so dont do it.

May 6, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Try asking for help in the forums.

Riddick
May 6, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Yea that libusb file gave me the blue screen of death too once I get my computer back up and running I think it should work fine though. Thanks for the posts!!

May 6, 2009 at 11:58 PM

The same thing happened to me this morning; I unplugged it, held down power and home for a few seconds and it came back on with all my apps in place.

May 9, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I have downloaded Quickfreedom and have installed LIBUSB. I cannot find the firmware so I am currently downloading it from your site. What next? Am I going about this all wrong? Please help!!

May 10, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Try using RedTool instead from http://redtool-dev.org.

May 14, 2009 at 8:36 PM

I used QuickFreedom and succesfully jailbroke 3 iPod Touch 2G (mine and my friends'). When i installed LibUSB the first time on my vista computer the USB drivers didn't work, i got around this by reinsalling vista and installing libUSB in XP compatibility mode. QuickFreedom works great - it is much easier to SSH movies o my ipod and to watch them with iFile. Also: you should try which is free and enables you to access data on your ipod through the USB cable, which is faster than SSHing.

May 29, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I have an iPod 2nd Gen using 2.2.1 firmware. I just successfully jailbroke it! Here is a step by step guide to what I did.

I am not sure if my files were erased on purpose. I remember reading somewhere that files would not be lost during this process. Any info would be much appreciated.

Here is my guide:

Before continuing with the Jailbreak, you must first download the ff:

- QuickFreedom software
- iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Restore.ipsw

Install Quick Freedom and launch the app
1) Click on Jailbreak button
2) Install LIBUSB **there have been some issues regarding this but I did not encounter any
3) Search for the Original Firmware (the one you downloaded)
4) Click on NEXT
5) Check Install Installer... you may opt to leave unchecked the Use Custom Boot Logo.
6) Create Firmware
7) After Firware is created, QuickFreedom will ask you to put your iPod on DFU mode. **I had problems doing this since this was my first time and I am not that tech-savvy. You just have to keep trying and follow the instructions.
8) Once you get on DFU, you will be asked to open iTunes and restore to the custome firmware that was created in step 6.
9) Wait a few minutes for restore to be complete.

Your iPod is now Jailbroken!

May 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM

wher is the link to download quickfreedom for mac?

james
May 30, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Hey guys, i have realised some of you are having trouble with the libusb when using vista. you have to go to browser and find libusb (whichever folder you have saved it in after downloading). Also, when using vista for quickfreedom it says you need to be an admin. All you have to do is right click the icon (quickfreedom) and click run as admin. Then you are on your way to success. The whole process took half an hour but it pays off in the end!

kevin k
May 30, 2009 at 8:26 PM

that happend 2 me 2 u should use redsn0w 2 fix it its another jailbreak program that is very easy 2 use (infact its the only jailbreak program that i can get 2 work) it only installs cydia though but it should fix it 4 u and if it all of the sudden closes and the ipod doesnt have the jailbreak data installing pic then put it in2 dfu mode again and reopen it 2 find redsn0w just google it im 2 lazy to put the link up (be happy im helping u in the first place)

susuFOX
May 31, 2009 at 2:50 AM

I also got the Blue Screen of Death in vista and I can't use system restore...

May 31, 2009 at 6:22 AM

somebody help
i cant create the firmware
wat do i do

May 31, 2009 at 12:16 PM

When im using Quick Freedom i get to the part where it says create custom firmware. it stays on 1% forever and never makes it to 2%. is it freezing. or is my comp sucky?

May 31, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Okay i used this and it works great.... Everything was fine.... Try using the tysiphonehelp video that helped me...

May 31, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Thanks man,

June 1, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I can't jailbreak my ipod touch 2g 2.2.1 when i try it says firmware error string and i really want to jailbreak it

June 1, 2009 at 8:31 AM

...i dont understand whenever i download the lib my ipod disconnects and its connected to the computer and itunes cant find it...if not then the firmware cant be created..HELP

June 4, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I need help. I hacked my ipod touch 2g using quickfreedom and it worked great. Normally ive fixed any problem i encountered before but this one has me stumpped. It turned off and wont turn back on, I tried rebooting it and nothing, it wont charge and my computer doesnt even notice that ive plugged it in. if anyone can get back to me on this id really appreciate it :)

June 6, 2009 at 10:41 AM

hey i will send u the untethered jailbreak if you want. it DOESN'T HAVE LIBUSB.... write back

June 7, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Im stuck on how to find the Firmware bundle i have downloaded it (saved it) but cant find the bundle Help please!!!

June 7, 2009 at 7:27 AM

My Ipod wont turn on after i restored it. what shouldi do? I just have a black sreeen

Nick
June 7, 2009 at 7:43 AM

use quick freedom it works for all ipod touch with 2.2.1 did myne in about 15 min worked fine

June 7, 2009 at 8:39 AM

this is great

June 7, 2009 at 6:23 PM

THANK YOU!
id have to say that jailbreaking is the best thing to do with an itouch.
you guys are simply...amazing.

June 8, 2009 at 10:27 AM

yah i want to jailbreak my itouch 2 gen but idk if quickpwn works on my laptop (vista)
so yah is it??

June 8, 2009 at 10:53 AM

@jarrett QuickPwn doesn't support iPod Touch 2G yet, but you can try another tool like http://www.redtool-dev.org or http://www.quickfreedom.com for now.

June 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM

@JD: Ask for help on the forums.

June 9, 2009 at 9:46 AM

ok ill look at it but few of my firends have 2g itouches and there jailbroken so i was jsut wondering.
and i got libusb once for vista so i tired it and it virused my laptop :O well after long frustrating hours i fixed it by uninstalling it and then delateing form cpu then did a restore point to a few days ago( all of which was in safe mode) so im skeptical on trying anything else

June 27, 2009 at 4:28 PM

OMFG i just downgraded from OS 3.0 coz most of my apps didnt work but then i put 2.2.1 on my ipod and i wanted it jailbroken and i seracherd day and night but then i found this website u guys r Savours!!!!!!!

MG1206
June 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM

wen i did shift and restore all it said was there was a problem recovering. what do i do

chris
June 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM

i cant create firmware wat do i do. need help quick please......