Home » » Droid does

Droid does

Written By Hans Berger on Sunday, October 18, 2009 | 9:37 AM

Droid Does: Verizon
Verizon recently aired a Droid Does commercial during the Yankees-Angels game on Saturday. This commercial does a good job of making the iPhone look bad. I really liked this commercial, and I hope that the Droid Does commercial pushes Apple to improve their iPhone and make it more open! Obviously Verizon hasn't heard of jailbroken iPhones, because if they did then they would know that we can already get most of the features by jailbreaking. You can watch the Droid Does commercial here.

Droid does: No Verizon iPhone

I am kind of disappointed about this commercial because it means that the iPhone will not be coming to Verizon any time soon. I do look forward to seeing what Verizon comes out with. Anyone else excited about the Verizon Droid? It really does have the potential to be an iPhone killer, especially since it's being launched on one of America's most reliable network.

Verizon Droid Features

Here is a list of some features of the Droid that Verizon has listed on their website.

• Video

• Tunes

• 10,000+ Apps

• The Network

• Multitasking

• High speed

• Hi-Res

• 5 megapixels

• Android 2.0

• Speech Recognition

• Notification Panel

• Directions

You can sign up to be notified once Verizon launches the Droid. No release date has been announced, the DroidDoes.com website just says "Coming Soon".

Rockarz
October 18, 2009 at 9:42 AM

It's does nothing, it ant out yet lmao

October 18, 2009 at 9:45 AM

AT&T has already replied to this commercial on their website.
Here are some images of both...

d@n13l
October 18, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I feel sorry for verizon because those rumors that people said about iPhone going over to verizon won't be happening anytime soon. When apple sees the commercial they will make some big changes to the iPhone & the iPhone firmwares.

AB
October 18, 2009 at 10:26 AM

an official verizon advertisement on google indicated the droid will be available Nov 6. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Chris
October 18, 2009 at 10:53 AM

AT&T sucks...their EDGE does too...3G isn't anywhere as large as Verizons...VZ rocks AT&T and I hope this phone kills Apple because they sux too...iNUTZ in Mac users' faces.

josh
October 18, 2009 at 11:40 AM

vz sucks. apple is at the front of the line along with at&t

Gerry Ashlock
October 18, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Verizon and AT&T are completely different mobile services. Verizon is all about being here and has the largest coverage. AT&T has the iPhone which means it has the best smartphone to date.

And to comment on the response of AT&T:
1) AT&T has the iPhone which immediately puts it at the head of the smartphone race.
2a) My Blackberry loads webpages just as fast as my girlfriends iPhone does. People want coverage not slightly, if even, faster speeds.
2b) Who in their right mind surfs the web while talking on the phone?
2c) Most Americans stay in the United States. I don't care if my phone works over seas. I want it to work here the states thank you very much.

I am hoping this phone can at least match the iPhone. I was personally hoping that Microsoft would do something right for once and make a Zune phone and bring it to the Verizon network. But after looking over the specs for this phone (or at least what is out right now) I am excited for this phone. I just hope the keyboard is sturdy and I hope the apps for this phone will be as plentiful as the apps for the iPhone.

Jae
October 18, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I meant hire

Jae
October 18, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I surf online while talkin. It can be usefull when researching something away from the computer. iPhone is okay but they need to stop trying to block certain things and higher the jailbreakers to make their phone unstoppable. Norotation customizing everything and more.

DJ
October 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM

"input your email address and droid will notify you when compromise has been deactivated"

The first thing that they need to do is fire whomever in the marketing department came up with that.

I have eagerly looked forward to many new products, but I have never had to for a compromise to be deactivated. I'm not sure how one would deactivate a compromise.

Imitating the iPhone is most piss poor product development plan. Focusing on your competitors product is a sure-fire way to never beat them.

I'm sure that the droid will roll out with tons of neat features, and have several capabilities that the iPhone doesn't have. Filling in check boxes on a feature chart is meaningless, if the user experience is poor.

The gorgeous interface, and fantastic user experience are what keeps the iPhone head and shoulders above any other mobile device on the market today.

The terrible user experience, and poor UI is why Samsung has continually failed to make a decent high end phone.

Perhaps the droid will have a great UI, I'm skeptical of that (especially given this terrible website).

Stewart
October 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I don't understand what you mean by vz hasn't heard of jailbreaking. That is the whole reason that I hate my iPhone, because I have to jailbreak it to make it even somewhat useful plus I am tired of the cat and mouse game with having to jailbreak everytime they update the firmware, it's not worth it anymore. What features does jailbreaking offer that are as good or better than ones from android or palm, and anyone who thinks backgrounder is true multitasking you have never used a pre or android phone the iPhone cannot multitask even with jailbreaking, I just hope AT&T comes out with the pre or an android phone so I can ditch my iPhone and sell it for $500 to some one. One more note, vz and AT&T are not that much different I used vz for 6 years and I don't see any difference between the two and I travel pretty frequently they are both really good networks.

Stah
October 18, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Since the beginning of time nothing has proven better than the original. But what better way to show superiority than thru imitation.

jack
October 18, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I love my My Touch. and I loved my G1 even more. Only thing I like more about the iphone is the screen size.

And I dont know what all the at&t vs verizon talk is. If you dont live in the sticks, T-mobile is the best service. hands down. I live in seattle. and everyone hates ATT and VZ. but maybe thats just our area. (unlimited data, voice, text, for $75 a month. AMAZING!! A+ to t-mobile!!

Dave
October 18, 2009 at 1:22 PM

What are all the corporation groupies raving about loving Verizon and hating iPhone? Ridiculous! iPhone already set the standard which is why Microsoft and it's shoddy products ("Check out the Zune dude!" Yeah, let me trade in my iPod for that piece!), or Motorola etc. have nowhere near anything like the iPhone. Am I an Apple groupie then? No, and if "Droid" is truly a new level I'd switch. But bashing the best doesn't prove the bashed is better: Show me!

Leeroy Jenkins II
October 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM

You ain't seen nothin' yet. Google is slipping in under the radar. The Chrome OS (not a simple browser OS) will be a Windows and Apple Killer. Let's talk about free apps and storage in their cloud. Let's talk about lower cost computers with kick a$$ video (they have revamped Linux video to be better than anything known in the past) built around an Ubuntu OS.

Google is basically turning this world back into a terminal based model with some processes and most storage in the cloud.

The REVOLUTION IS COMING!!!

Gerry Ashlock
October 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM

I do not have a problem saying iPhone is the best, because simply, it is. Nothing has come close and as most people expect, the Droid won't match up either. I actually love Apple with a passion. I believe that Windows is the problem with Microsoft, Xbox 360 is an example of pure genius. I am absolutely in love with the iPhone but I am currently on the Verizon network and where I use my phone, Verizon has the best service.

An iPhone with Verizon would almost be godsent haha

October 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM

[...] I saw the Droid Does commercial, I just had to look for Verizon Droid pictures. Usually pictures of new phones are [...]

Jaffers
October 18, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I liked the iPhone, after it was jailbroken. I hate AT&T. Verizon's service beats them hands down. I was let down that AT&T got the iPhone. Guess they needed some kind of edge. Hope the new Droid is at least as good as the iPhone, and I'll be more than happy.

JusticeKnuckles
October 18, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Well of course iPhone isn't coming to verizon anytime soon. More likely ever, Microsoft has large amounts shares with verizon and due to this iPhone cannot exist on verizon without losing the microsoft shares in verizon.

October 18, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Don't care if verizon comes out w/ a phone that walks my dog,washes my car,cooks me dinner and can even finish wipin my butt case I missed some. Had them for 2 whole weeks back b4 I bought my g1 and I have to say I've never come across a more rude customer service person in my life. Vowed NEVER to deal w/ them again after I returned their phone. Even now they think I owe them $78.00 for the 13 day usage in which literally I made 3 phone calls....on its way to collection...haha,good luck w/that verizon.....

Cookie1
October 18, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Ok, which are you saying you like then?

October 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM

[...] The Verizon Droid phone will be released on October 30,2009. You can find that out by going to the Droid Does website (www.droiddoes.com) and decoding the timer at the bottom of the page. You can also enter in [...]

CJ
October 18, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I wonder do some of you know what the 'Driod' is? It is Motorola's 2nd ever Andriod device and their first ever(possibly only) one on Verizon. It must be somewhat impressive if Verizon has decided to trump this phone over the Storm 2, HTC Imagio/Touch Pro 2, and Samsung Omnia (all Verizon premier smartphones). It will be one of the few phones that will run Andriond 2.0..which is supposed to be a huge improvement over the current version. Fact is, next year many more(and better) phones will be running 2.0 as well...I guess Verizon wants to put this out front and center before that happens. Other than that it's isn't as unique a device as the Palm Pre or iPhone. But it's supposed to have an impressive build quality...I'd be willing to give it a try.

Dale Gendary
October 18, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I have a 3Gs, and I love it, but I hate the restrictiveness of Apple, and the craptasticness of AT&T. So far, all smartphones that have tried to be iPhone killers have failed miserably. Will this one do the same thing?

I left Verizon to come to AT&T, just to get the iPhone. I've regretted it ever since (except for the fact that I have an iPhone)
I really want Verizon to get the 'next big thing' so I can ditch AT&T

October 18, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Release date is October 30th 2009 just like the above guy said (Decode the Image)!

there are few images there of the Droid!

open60
October 19, 2009 at 2:15 AM

The iphone was never going to Verizon, it wouldn't work on the network. You iphone phans need to understand that Android is a better system, you just have to know how to use it. With upcoming OS changes and new hardware and system upgrades (like T-Mobiles Project Dark), the smart phone game is changing forever.

October 19, 2009 at 7:31 AM

I applaud motorola for taking apple's marketing head on. Rather than trying to say that android is 'as good as iphone' (i.e. G1, Pre)

TheReal007
October 19, 2009 at 12:04 PM

All you iPhone haters LOL. Everyone is trying to put out an iPhone Killa, Instinct, Palm Pre...LMAO. Face it if Verizon is so savvy why did they turn down the iPhone in the first place. I have had AT&T since 2004 with no problems. My coworkers in Washington DC can't even get 3G in our office, what a joke! They have BB Storms! iPhone is here to stay get use to it.

Matt M
October 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM

how did you figure the release date i went to the site and couldent figure it out lol??

Xenonmagnum
October 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM

The only real reason why iPhone isn't on Verizon is b/c verizon wanted to put their crappy interface on it like they do on all of their phones. Not to mention all if their phones have the same operating system, yet they have the best coverage. One other thing too; you may want to take a piss at apple over always jailbreaking your device, not offering flash etc but think about it this way. Apple's devices operate and work within the realms of what you actually need. Do you really need to run more than three apps at a time? What if you forget you had one running and keep opening up apps. Next thing you know you phone is sluggish & slowand possibly a few glitches problems relayed to the massive drain on memory (this is just a representation). Apple makes their products so that they are user friendly and especially polished, so you don't see all that ugly code and very rough edges you would on a PC. Heading back to the topic; whatever phone verizon is planning on dropping won't beat the iPhone. Plus, this phone doesn't actually do anything new, based on the info I saw above and various sites I researched this phone the iPhone does everything and lots more plus it only offers 10,000 apps compared to Apple's massive 75,000 apps and growing.

October 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM

[...] important feature that Verizon forgot to include in their Droid Does commercial is that the Droid phone does support Flash while the iPhone doesn’t! Earlier this [...]

October 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Jason
October 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I dont see Wi-Fi capability listed. If it doesn't support 802.11 wifi then i will not be buying one. I can't stand how you are forced to use verizons data plan for all of their other smart phones.

Andres
October 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM

It comes out November 8. Its fairly easy to decipher the countdown.

October 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM

[...] I checked the XML file on the Verizon Droid Does website and noticed that the XML file had a countdown timer to October 30,2009. I thought that this [...]

Luke
October 19, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I have had every iPhone. EDGE, 3G, 3GS. All amazing. I have never looked at another phone. An iPhone is the greatest phone on the market. Apple will always be on top. Everyone that's hates on the iPhone is either mad because AT&T tried to stiff them on a 1,000 dollor phone bill or whatever. Sh!t happens. That's all computers that have counted your mobile web minutes up, and then people that worked for AT&T had to sort that crap out, don't blame them. I live in the city so 3G is always working great. I do drive alot. (that's my job) even when I'm in the middle of nowhere I still have 3G. If I do slip down to EDGE it's always reliable. You can't beat the REAL touch screen that works off of the electricity in your body.

What I'm saying is, Apple set the bar so high they might never be topped. No one has been able to do it for years! And apple has been growing while others fail. I've had cracked screens, 20 foot drops and water damage to my old 3G and still works like new.

I'll have my iPhone till it they stop making them and it dies on me after decades of use. Or until I die. Which ever comes first.

iPhone forever!!!

craze
October 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM

It's good to see a company use advertising to make their electronic device seem like it does more than it does, like Apple does.

G-spot
October 20, 2009 at 11:24 AM

release date is october 27th at midnight or the morning of the 28th.. its fairly easy.. i got the code 07044728 on october 20th at 7:13 central time so if u count 7 days 4 hours 47 minutes 28 seconds it takes u to midnight of the night of the 27th eastern time

G-spot
October 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

totally agree wit u man the iphone cant be topped.. and my old 2g has 5 massive cracks.. not scratches, CRACKS,, 2 parts have fallen out and i pushed them back in and put a screen protector to hold the pieces in place and evry single part of the touch screen works perfect.. ive dropped it in the shower, my nephews dropped it in the toilet 3 times already and ive dropped it from my friends third floor apartment and it works 100% fine.. i got the new 3gs around 2 weeks ago and i love it.. now stupid verizon phone can top it,, oh and btw ive had 8 touch screen phones between my 2g iphone and my 3gs and no touch screen is better,, ive had a blackberry storm on att and the touch screen is garbage,, i had a mytouch on my tmobile account and dats just a joke,, its close to being good but not quiete there yet,, like it has sorta multi touch but just releases the touch... nothing will ever top the iphone,, all the iphone needs is flash but if you jailbreak it u can hack a safari plug in that plays flash,, not games in flash tho but atleast video!!

nick
October 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Verizon is just hating on at&t granted so is every other phone company apple always exaggerates what it can do so deal with it also sprint is totaly not even marketing their android phone seems to me like the only people that know is the people who have sprint and as usal verizon is taking what other phone carriers have and relising it faster oh well right?

CR
October 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Verizon has never heard of jailbreaking? I hope you're being sarcastic! Not that it matters anyway, 99.9% of iPhone users don't jailbreak their phone, so that's a weak point. Also, for the dumbnuts who said they don't want more than one app running... what are you thinking? Do you run one app at a time on your computer? I hate having to close an app just to view a text message, it really sucks and is one of the biggest complaints of iPhone users!

Mark H
October 20, 2009 at 1:02 PM

No matter how much of a fan you are of the iPhone, the AT&T network is a joke. LMFAO at an advertised 3G iPhone! The AT&T data speeds are freaking PATHETIC. Anyone who cares at all about up/down speed, which is the only thing that matters on a data network, would NEVER choose to be an AT&T customer! If you are an AT&T customer then I feel bad for your mobile internet speeds! Yes, all new smartphones should include wifi, but the iPhone HAS to have it cause of the rediculously SLOW 3G(1.75G???) on GAYT&T's network! Both Verizon and Sprint have OWNED, when it comes to data speeds, with Sprint on top. With Sprint's WiMax(4G) already in some markets and coming soon to all others, it's GAME OVER for awhile from a data speed aspect! Google Vidoe "sprint 4G speed" and see how impresive it is! 6.5down/2.5up in the middle of the street! That's SICK! You could Game on that wireless card/connection!!!!

Bottom Line, the iPhone is BA, but its on AT&T only, FAIL!!! The Blackberry Bold has been a pretty terrible release from a tech support problem view!!!!

I will take my Tour on the Sprint Network over anything out there right now, and can't wait to get 4G in Indy, with a 4G Blackberry!!!!!!

JL
October 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM

The phone looks like crap. Motorola might be using the newest mobile osm, but it could of wrapped in in a nicer package. What is this i hear that it supports Flash??? There is no mobile Flash at the moment so how can this be?

Hans
October 20, 2009 at 1:18 PM

It will support flash since it's using the Android 2.0 operating system. Adobe has stated that the webOS, Android OS, and Windows Mobile operating systems will be getting Flash. No date has been announced, but it's expected to be out early next year.

JL
October 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Cool, thanks Hans. I did not know that. Did they say anything about other os's getting Flash, or are they just moving forward with the new os's?

JL
October 20, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I think i don't need an app to find my car in a parking lot. Although the apps are cool, they are really unnecessary like you stated. What is necessary is a battery to use your device and that is why i am sticking with my bb bold. I have to charge it once every three days and i am never scrambling to find juice. Good point about the multiple apps running unnoticed especially with the battery life of the iphone.

October 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM

[...] did help Verizon with the Droid, but it’s not likely that they will ever launch their own Google Phone. Take what analysts [...]

Narhan
October 20, 2009 at 5:34 PM

IPhone is amazing and nothing will beat apple. Apple has changed everything we know about music stores. Apple has CDs by the collar beating it into submission. And if your not on board apple then your in the dark ages. That worthless advertising sat around and bashed apple and people bash AT&T. Yea my iPhone doesn't walk my dog and wipe my ass, but at the end of the day it is a phone dominating every smart phone on the market like mac is domination that worthless thing you know as a pc. Hands down the iPhone reins supreme but bring that droid out. And bash all you want, but like everything else that has fought the iPhone expect a failure in hardware and software over hype and talentless advertising. I'll pass on the starwars stunt double

jason
October 21, 2009 at 11:57 AM

this may be an iphone killer but apple already (probably) has another phone up their sleeves to publish right after the iphone killer comes out. Its just that apple is always one step ahead of the gang. Sorry verizon nice try...

GoAhead-MakeMyReplyGreyAndHiddenToo
October 21, 2009 at 1:22 PM

too bad this site greys out replies it doesnt like. This is my only post here and I bet it becomes greyed out too. Oh well I wont be back to check cause I CAN NOT READ THE HIDDEN REPLIES WHEN THEY ARE GREYED OUT

blah

Hans
October 21, 2009 at 1:38 PM

If people don't like certain posts, they'll vote comments down. We don't choose which comments are greyed out, the visitors/commentors on this site do. :D

GoAhead-MakeMyReplyGreyAndHiddenToo
October 21, 2009 at 1:44 PM

wonderful, But wouldn't it be better to leave the text color readable after a viewer chooses to click the "click here to see" option?

blah

Hans
October 21, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I might consider doing this during the redesign of this site.

matt
October 26, 2009 at 9:24 AM

yeah those polished edges sure are nice... i love it when a company creates a device that the user has absolutely no control over and is given no idea what exactly is going on behind the scenes. Gee Apple, thats why macs are so great, they give you all the programs you ever need. they know, without a doubt, what you need and want, why bother deciding for yourself. that is way to much hassle. i would prefer to have polished edges and no control over my devices any day.

NT
October 26, 2009 at 7:58 PM

it's a timer and you can figure out which digit is which from the change in the one second and ten second column. The 0 symbol will appear before the ten second column changes. From there you'll know which symbols correspond to which starting from 9 down to 0.

anne
November 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM

it's funny how people get so worked up over a cell phone. no wonder our society is going to shit.

daniel
November 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM

it's funny if you look verizonwireless webite it says droid 11/06/09?

February 8, 2010 at 6:28 AM

WOW! you really set the record straight. The only thing apple can't do is MAKE A PHONE CALL!! IT'S A PHONE AND IT FAILS AT IT'S INTENDED REASON!!

Droid
February 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I'm reading this BS about how great the ipaperweight is on my Droid ha ha guess what Droid does!!!

Kim
March 14, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I'm with you, Droid. Droid Does!

I'm getting a kick out of all the iPhone lovers bashing on the Droid BEFORE it even came out! Slightly unfair, if you ask me, just like their commercials.

I may be a hardcore Droid lover now, but I'm still an intelligent person, so if something better comes along I'll recognize it.

Also, JL, the phone is incredibly sleek. It's a DROID, so looking mechanical makes a ton of sense. I've got a rubber cover on mine, and it's thicker, tighter, and sturdier than my friend's rubber iPhone cover.

I'm not even sure that the battle is just the Droid and the iPhone anymore, though. The Samsung Moment (Sprint network & Android OS) is now said to have the best processor available...the battle will never end, therefore no one will ever win.