Home » » Xbox addict dies from Blood Clot in England

Xbox addict dies from Blood Clot in England

Written By Unknown on Saturday, July 30, 2011 | 11:52 AM

XBOX 360

Chris Staniforth, a 20 year old recently died due to a blood clot after a marathon video game session on his Xbox gaming system. He spent up to 12 hours at a time playing on his Xbox.  An autopsy reveals that Chris suffered from deep vein thrombosis. Chris has no history of any bad health or medical conditions.

Chris loved playing Halo, and he collapsed shortly after he told his friends about painful sensations in his chest. Chris's family is starting a campaign to raise awareness of deep vein thrombosis and how playing games excessively can be harmful.

If you or someone you know may have deep vein thrombosis please check the symptoms here and prevention tips here and also talk to a doctor.

What are your views of this incident? Do you think video games or console systems should have some brief warning messages or limitations so users remember to take breaks? Do you exercise after gaming? Let us know in the comments.

[via NYDailyNews & Product Reviews]

Wicked
July 30, 2011 at 2:14 PM

There's no way he died from playing video games for 12 hours, when we used to have long gaming sessions, we could play for 10-20hours, with no problems at all.
We never exercised after playing, most ppl just crashed and slept.

TimeTrialer
July 30, 2011 at 2:36 PM

This is a sad story that is a result of the sad state of health our country and world is in. DVT can develop in anyone who stays stationary for too long. So get off your butts and go for a walk, ride a bike, play some ball or whatever. One hour a day will keep the doctor away!

Mike
July 30, 2011 at 5:58 PM

If all this guy did was game, then it could definitely be the reason. They called him an "addict". Gaming all day is undoubtedly not going to do anything for your health. Everyone has to be active to some extent otherwise they will become obese just as so many Americans are these days!! Lol c'mon now I'm a gamer PS3 Duty all day, but you can't just sit there the entire day every day.... Obviously. Sad to hear

jeanktool
July 30, 2011 at 6:03 PM

well shit happens, and that was sad, video games dsnt cause anything like that, it just something that must happen, is just an accident, if he died watching t.v, it is the fault, of the t.v? if you are not playing video games, we are watching tv, or on computers, even people that made sports get die in the action.

RF9
July 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

This can happen to people on long airplane flights, truck drivers, and office workers including programmers. Anyone sitting for excessive periods of time. It's not the video gaming that's harmful (obviously,) it's sitting without moving.
I don't know how people sit that long without eating or taking a piss regularly.

Bloominonion45
July 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

i believe this is not all xbox's fault the man played 12 hours of halo straight 110% his fault, its impossible that he thought that 12 marathons were good for his health

Chris
July 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM

That is very sad. A 20 year old. Image what all he did in life. I mean, video games are fun, but to develop a disorder/ life threatening issue like that by just playing video games, he must have not dome much other than the games. I hope teens and video game players realize that this is a huge issue. I know I have and I used to be addicted to video games. I've been there but finally realized it's not worth it. I was very lucky I didn't play video games for a long time. I think game systems should come with a non bypassable timed warning every time you turn the system on.

Surkhroudy
July 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM

It is very bad news, we have to do every 2 h exercie when we play games.

Balto113
July 31, 2011 at 3:29 AM

The XBOX guide has health related advices printed in it. It tells player to take frequent breaks after a certain amount of time playing.

July 31, 2011 at 4:37 AM

Hell yes, they should remind you to take breaks, and possibly to get a life too. I always liked how certain games, like Sword and Sworcery, reminded me that if I rested I would enjoy the game more later and not be so burnt out.

August 1, 2011 at 1:32 AM

does anyone know which game he played all day looooong

August 1, 2011 at 2:19 AM

omg, 12 hrs gaming!!! wtf?
he must have big cojones ,so sad!

Anthony
August 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM

I noticed nobody cared to mention, that one reason he may have stayed up this long or did these game marathons, is he also may have used certain energy drinks to stay up, and that after a certain degree of sugar intake, has anybody ever thought that could be the reason his chest was hurting, because he was pumping thick and mollasses blood through his heart, and if his parents decide to sue microsoft, i want someone to go over there and sue them for being idiots, no one put the controller in his hands put himself