Home » » Comcast Internet Down Right Now? Here's a fix!

Comcast Internet Down Right Now? Here's a fix!

Written By Hans Berger on Sunday, November 28, 2010 | 12:56 PM

Comcast

I just got a call from a friend claiming that his Comcast Internet service was down. Luckily I use Verizon FIOS, so I wasn't affected by this. I did a quick search on Twitter and saw that many users were experiencing this problem as well. Apparently this problem is mainly affecting Comcast users in the east coast. The Comcast DNS servers are down, and that's why Comcast users are unable to access any websites.

Thankfully there are alternative FREE DNS servers that can be used to access the Internet. If you are a Comcast user, you can use either Google DNS or OpenDNS. Just change your DNS server IP address to 8.8.8.8 to use Google DNS or change it to 208.67.220.220 to use OpenDNS. Your Internet should start working again.

For a step-by-step guide on how to change your DNS, read on below:

1. Open your Control Panel.

2. Click on the Network and Sharing Center icon.

3. Find the name of the network you're connected to, and then click on View status.

4. In the Networking tab click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties on the bottom-right corner.

5. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses:" and enter in the following:

• Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8

• Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4

6. Click OK. Open your web browser, and your Internet should start working now.

UPDATE: It appears that Comcast DNS servers are back up now. You can stay with the Google DNS servers or  you can switch back to Comcast's DNS servers by following steps 1-4, and in step 5 switching back to Obtain DNS server address automatically.

November 28, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Great article genius, how are you going to send them this info? Smoke signals?

Hans
November 28, 2010 at 12:59 PM

A lot of people have Internet on their mobile phones too.

Justin
November 28, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Tethered cell phone, dick.

Jay-Z
November 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Thanks! Helped a lot. Found this info on my phone and followed the instructions.

November 28, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Wasn't trying to be a dick, just very clear on what i found to be a major flaw with this article.

But i guess if it helps 1 person it has served it's purpose.

tim
November 28, 2010 at 1:31 PM

woo hoo! thanks!

Dan
November 28, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Thanks! That fixed it.

Christine
November 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Any instructions for mac users? I found the DNS section of network preferences and added every number you suggested to DNS servers and got nothing =[

Emmet
November 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Thank you, I found this article on my cellphone and it worked like a charm.

Nothing like calling comcast over and over for 2 hours waiting to get through and never succeeding, only to find a solution using my cellphone and a search in 30 seconds.

THANK YOU!

Algo
November 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I disagree, you were definitely trying to be a dick. Trying so hard you missed the obvious in fact. Your fail is my entertainment. Thank you fool :)

Derek
November 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Thank you! A perfect temporary fix. Set the DNS to 8.8.8.8, bypassed my router for now with the Ethernet and it worked immediately. Much appreciated.

greg
November 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Don't be a dick remco, many people browse the net through their phones.

In fact I viewed this solution on my phone and managed to fix my internet connection, so thanks to the author, this was very helpful.

Hans
November 28, 2010 at 1:40 PM

1. From the Apple menu, click System Preferences, then click Network.
2. If the lock icon in the lower left-hand corner of the window is locked, click the icon to make changes, and when prompted to authenticate, enter your password.
3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
* To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, select Built-In Ethernet, and click Advanced.
* To change the settings for a wireless connection, select Airport, and click Advanced.
4. Select the DNS tab.
5. Click + to replace any listed addresses with, or add, the Google IP addresses at the top of the list: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
6. Click Apply and OK.
7. Test that your setup is working correctly; see Testing your new settings below.
8. Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.
SOURCE: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Hydro
November 28, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I guess I never noticed because I use Googles DNS servers.
You did make a mistake though. The alternate DNS server for Google is 8.8.4.4.

Hans
November 28, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Fixed! Thanks for pointing this out. :)

dusty
November 28, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Actual this worked for me. Surfed on my phone and found it. Remco is not very bright

Justin
November 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM

If you weren't, you wouldn't have been a snarky asshole. "genius"? "Smoke signals?"

Next time use your brain, genius.

KJS
November 28, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Thanks for the tip. Worked like a charm.

karin
November 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM

this was great thank you so much. One question, do I need to change anything when comcast is back up?

InvestInMules
November 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Thank you for taking the time to post this!

Eric
November 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Worked mint. Thanks.

L
November 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM

If I do this change and then later restore my settings to obtain dns server automatically will it go back to comcast then?

Sean
November 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Nice... I'll have to give this a shot. Fortuntely, I've got a 3G iPad while it is down... I have had some success getting Google up, but it is very slow and don't last. Very curious as to what's wrong

November 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I find it very conspicious that only minutes after I made my comment there are multiple people that claim they found this website by using their phone. It's just all a little bit to much of a coincidence.

I'll stop posting about it now though, good luck with you guy's internet connections.

p.s. It's always smart to use a different DNS then your isp's since they are more reliable most of the times.

karin
November 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM

What a great fix. Do I need to change anything back when comcast is up again?

Hans
November 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Nico
November 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Great article, thanks!

Remco = useless whiner. People like this stop progress.

Hans
November 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM

You can switch back to "Obtain DNS Server Address automatically" once Comcast's DNS servers are actually back up or you can continue using it as long as you want.

Karin
November 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Thanks I found your fix on my phone and it worked like a charm. Do I need to change anything back once comcast is back up?

This One
November 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM

You weren't trying but you did a good job of it. GTFO the interwebsss

Jon
November 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM

worked for me, found on my phone.

jerry
November 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Conspicuous? I just found this from my droid... Whatever, go get your tinfoil hat if it makes you feel better.

Dan
November 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Thank you. This worked perfectly! Like others, I was connected via my phone.

Jose
November 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I did follow this and it works on my computer but my wifi doesn't work on my iphone..

Hans
November 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM

You will need to use the same DNS server settings on your iPhone as well. Go to Settings -> General -> About and scroll down to WiFi Address to change the DNS settings.

Karin
November 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM

does this mean i can be comcast free?

me
November 28, 2010 at 1:57 PM

When comcast comes back, will it naturally set this back, or is there something I'll need to do? If so, olease walk me through those steos. Thanks so much for this!

greg
November 28, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Haha remco are you seriously suggesting that these people are not real, but sock puppet comments to make the author look smart? Cause that's pretty silly, you are really reaching here in an attempt to save face. First of all I don't think conspicious is the word you were looking for, perhaps suspicious? Except its not, people browse the net all the time now, and its only logical and extremely obvious they would look for a solution with their phone now.

Your attempt at insulting the author did not work, insult fail.

tobrak
November 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Same here, used my blackberry connected to laptop and got this info....THANKS for the INFORMATION!!!

Drupii
November 28, 2010 at 2:00 PM

DNS servers can also be specified in your router's connection settings if you are behind one. This is helpful when you have more than one device on your network and you don't wish to modify DNS settings for each device.

Me
November 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Nevermind, Comcast's internet seems to be working now. At least for me it is.

That info might be helpful for others, though.

Nick
November 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Great news! I might stay on the Google DNS. Return times are just slightly faster. Thanks for this. With an exam in 9 hours to study for, you're a life saver.

Nick
November 28, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Hans called me and 30 other people in a conference call and told us to come here and LOL @ Remco. ...get real, dude. Thanks again Hans. This page is actually number 1 if you google "comcast dns" right now.

Apex
November 28, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Also just in case for Ubuntu in case someone needs it.

go into the terminal,

sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf

change the name servers then save

Sam
November 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I live in Maryland, I also tried your method, but it does not work for me.

Kevin
November 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM

WiFi comes from your isp which is down now.

Debby
November 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Thank you!!! I am in Boston area and was about to list a bunch of stuff on eBay when---ooops! I tried the Google DNS and it worked perfectly.

Sean
November 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Mostly paranoia, I suspect. In this day and age, a lot of us tend to be wired. I personally have 3 providers between my home cable, AT&T for the iPad, and Sprint on my phone.

Also, not to be pedantic, but suspicious is probably the more suitable word. It describes your feelings on the subject rather than stating the outright prominence of the phenomenon. Granted, after a couple drinks too many, I'm very well blowing sunshine out my ass :)

Jimmyk
November 28, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Is google DNS safe should I not do banking?

November 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I am flying at least 10X faster than usual! I may keep these settings!
Not sure how or why this worked but THANK YOU!

This sure makes a case for switching to FIOS!

MJ
November 28, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Thanks for getting me back online. I found your post (using my phone) and the instructions got me back up immediately. I've shared the link.
PS: Ignore that jerk who made the "smoke signals" comment. Some of us appreciate random acts of kindness. :)

Joe Block
November 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I'd stick with using Google's DNS after your outage - one of the reasons I left Comcast was because their DNS was crappy. You can count on Google's to be up and configured correctly :-)

Brandi
November 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Thanks so much for this! I too found this info on my iPhone while my Comast Internet has been down. Great info!

Thank u sir!
November 28, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Thank u very much for sharing. Who doesn't grab the cell for Internet when cables down. Remco = FAIL

Marta
November 29, 2010 at 10:11 PM

I tried changing DNS but it's still not working

milo
December 1, 2010 at 6:12 PM

big thanks man, i'm in ct, it works good now

Owen Stearns
December 5, 2010 at 1:00 PM

THANK GOD!!!!!!!! Works Great!

jokie
December 5, 2010 at 1:56 PM

When will comcast internet be fixed? It is pissing me off!

lost
December 5, 2010 at 2:41 PM

how would you do it for a mac os?

Derek in Michigan
December 5, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Everyone is missing the point - be sure and call comcast and request a credit for the entire time that it has been down. They have to give it, if they won't file a Public Utilities commission complaint and/or state attorney general complaint - you will get a credit.

I would LOVE to see ALL comcast subscribers do this and once and hit their bottom line.