Home » » SHAtter Jailbreak: Jailbreak iOS 4.1, 4.2, and ABOVE for LIFE

SHAtter Jailbreak: Jailbreak iOS 4.1, 4.2, and ABOVE for LIFE

Written By Hans Berger on Monday, September 13, 2010 | 8:14 AM

SHAtter jailbreak

A new exploit called the SHAtter Jailbreak will allow all iOS users including iPhone 4, iPad 3G, and iPod touch 4G to jailbreak their mobile devices for life. This is BIG news for those that jailbreak their iDevices. With SHAtter, the jailbreak community will always have their jailbreak. Apple won't be able to patch the SHAtter jailbreak exploit, and the cat and mouse game with Apple and jailbreakers will most likely end.

According to a page on The iPhone Wiki (Google Cache), the SHAtter jailbreak is the first exploit in the S5L8930 that will allow unsigned code execution to create a tethered jailbreak for life, and as an initial vector for all new untethered exploits to come. The SHAtter jailbreak vulnerability, exploitation and payload were created by pod2g and posixninja. No release date for the SHAtter jailbreak download has been announced yet.

If you want to jailbreak iOS 4.1, stay tuned. We will post more details about the SHAtter jailbreak as we get them. Feel free to follow @QuickPWN on Twitter for the latest news on the SHAtter jailbreak.

Moon
September 13, 2010 at 8:22 AM

OMG! I am so excited! I can't waiiiiitttttttt~~~

ZinNyZinZin
September 13, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Jailbreak almost here when will shatter jailbreak be released?

ZinNyZinZin
September 13, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Can shatter hacktivate iPhone 3GS cause I have one and it's just an expensive paper weight please and ty

Choco
September 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM

I'm so excited!! I can't wait!!! How much longer?????

Mkay
September 13, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Wow, you make us wait 5 days, then give us news that we already knew because we were forced to seek news elsewhere. Come on man... You have people that hang I'm your every word, but you're letting them down.

Jaytie
September 13, 2010 at 9:11 AM

so damn good news! cant wait!!

taras91
September 13, 2010 at 9:19 AM

wow i need this like yesterday. im stuck on 4.1 and need a jb and unlock now. thanks.

netmancer
September 13, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Quickpwn is a tease.. I saw the headline I was all excited thinking it was released..

I can't wait, have to keep my childlike impatience in check.. :)

awsomer
September 13, 2010 at 9:22 AM

If its not relesed this week it will definitly be relesed sometime within the next two weeks. I do not speak for any of the devteam this is just my opion

Woodsidekid
September 13, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Bring it on!!!

cbffs3308
September 13, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Heck yeah. Can't wait for this jailbreak. Anyone know how it works exactly? Like with the whole hardware thing? I can't wait to finally get rejailbroken, i had to take mine to apple to get it fixed and forgot to save my shsh so i can't downgrade.

jayson
September 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM

when does this come out?!

WHM
September 13, 2010 at 10:35 AM

So much for jailbreak for iOS 4.1 is eminent. I don't believe this jailbreak for life stuff. Sounds like hype to get you to this site.

September 13, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I really love You guys so much u put so much effort and work in this jailbreaks.... that's what everyone wants Apple devices are good but at the same time pretty bad because of having a limit on device which is brought expensive but thanks to you guys all has changed devices are more fun and worth the buy. So want to thankyou u guys so much for all this work not just from me but everyone I hear people speaking about it all the time. So once again thankyou guys.

Mick
September 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM

So should we still not update to 4.1? I don't mind loosing my jailbreak for a week or two for the sake of getting the proximity sensor fix, but don't want to wreck the possibility of jail breaking in the future...

Negi
September 13, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Yesssss SHAtter, it'll give me my 3G like features on my 2G iPod touch, one question though will there be an untethered version and is the jailbreak restorable in case something happened? 4.1 improved speed on my touch 2G,

Muhammad
September 13, 2010 at 11:47 AM

You guys... The publisher doesnt state if this exploit will work on iPod touch 2g or 3g.

BOMB
September 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM

ya'll are the bomb!i love my jailbreak on 4.0.1 cant wait for the new one!

Lybby
September 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM

@taras91 I am in the exact same boat, I upgraded to 4.1 on my 3G not even thinking and now I cannot use my iPhone because it needs to be Jailbroke and Unlocked for use on the Telus contract I have instead of the Rogers network where I bought it. @Mick if you have to Unlock I seriously suggest waiting for SHAtter.

Appu
September 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

i cant wait for the jailbreak to come, i just bought an iphone 4 and i need it to be unlocked and so far im just using it as an ipod touch and its pissing offff

Stugats
September 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM

This was Bonerriffic news about 4 days ago

Brent
September 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I want to know HOW this works.

My assumption is that it uses the same protocol that iTunes uses to pretty much telnet the iDevice, then removes whatever hardcoded protocol for the device to only respond to iTunes. So that new versions of iTunes and new protocols will be useless.

Steve
September 13, 2010 at 2:23 PM

It hacks the hardware chip this time, not the OS

princesskitty
September 13, 2010 at 2:26 PM

hurrryyy up with this jailbreakkkk

ienstien
September 13, 2010 at 2:36 PM

OMG!! I want I want I want. Ha take that Apple

Flaming Panda
September 13, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Shiiiit I cant wait.

September 13, 2010 at 2:58 PM

This is great news no more saying you have to wait til new hack is available.
Is it ready now? were can i get it?

CrackPipe
September 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Really Must people Beg for this i have been waiting patiently for this and everyone is Begging for this to come out, just relax and it will come out just give them time and all the time they need.

ThatGuy
September 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Can u jailbreak a 3GS even on the 05.14.02 baseband?

Omar
September 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Sounds too good to be true. I'll believe it when I'm finally able to jailbreak my iPhone 4. 4.0.2. (bought with updated software). I'll be on it when released.

genesis
September 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM

yeahh!!! At last the new jbtool is coming...

Daniel
September 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Hurry Up! Please i need my phone :(

Edwinator
September 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I upgraded my iPhone 4 from 4.0.2 to 4.1 and I was able to keep baseband by using tinyumbrella... Can't wait for the JB/unlock... My iPhone 4 is patiently waiting.

tyson
September 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM

i like this "coming soon" announcement better than the last three.

Alex
September 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Hey, What about iPod Touch 2G and 3G? Yes or No?

September 13, 2010 at 5:34 PM

hardware hack? i see a potential for a permanent bricking if something goes wrong

Newbie
September 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

hi.actually i would like to ask something.
1)if i had jailbreak for iOS 4.0.1,can i update to iOS 4.1 through iOS 4.1 ?
2)if i had jailbraek for iOS 4.0.1,when the jailbreak for iOS 4.1 has come out,how m i change my latest jailbreak to iOS4.1 jailbreak ?
Please help me.thanks

Dean Hughes
September 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I agree Tyson hopes up looking good.. Smack in the face coming soon ;)

jali
September 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I have been update my 3g to 4.1 and it seen a lot of fix than 4.0 (i try 4.0 in ipod 2 1/2 G 8 gb) but without JB it just a phone not Iphone, hehhehe. Right now i back to 3.1.3. Please send the JB link. Thanks alot

Mochan
September 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Sounds like nonsense hype to get you to follow them on Twitter. That none too subtle plug at the end is a dead giveaway. Lame.

Ben
September 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM

me too... I don't think it's during too long any more! Waited long enough :-)

Ben
September 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Don't forget to backup your SHSH files with tinyumbrella! It will keep your baseband on 1.59

Twinsen
September 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM

It also means your warranty is gone if you jailbreak for life? Apple will surely void your warranty if they know it is a JB device.

Negi
September 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM

You guys keep begging stop it allow them to release an efficient tested proven 4.1 jailbreak.

September 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM

This will be great news for all of the people that have had new iphones that shipped with 4.1 sw. Just hope it's stable enough and there is no risk of a total hardware brick. At least at the moment they are nearly always recoverable.

Woodsidekid
September 13, 2010 at 10:17 PM

All of ya quiet down I'm trying to sleep. It will come when they are done.

Jakob
September 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Well I bet shatter will come out soon but I'm gonna wait a while longer because remember NOTHING was compatible 4.0

Agnel@London
September 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Backgrounding for cydia??

sera
September 13, 2010 at 10:44 PM

come on cant wait for shatter jailbreak

absodonkers
September 13, 2010 at 11:33 PM

finally a man who can speak sense. totally agree with you mate.

iPhone4breaker
September 14, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Im waiting for it also cuz i got stuck with the 4.0.2 version iphone 4 but i updated to 4.1 without upgrading my babseband so i can still unlock wen its available....... But i believe its GreenPois0n thats gonna do it website is up just not available yet

Ayya
September 14, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Come on doods and doodies. hold on your horses for while. Be humanitive and stand in Q until it reaches you. Be happy, don't worriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!.

AppleFreak
September 14, 2010 at 1:55 AM

can be unlock iPhone 3G ios 4.1 with 05.14.02, some times soon ?
can jailbreak but can't unlock.... :-(

Konstantin
September 14, 2010 at 2:57 AM

lol indeed my friend indeed

Tim
September 14, 2010 at 3:31 AM

I Hope it Works in iPod Touch too

Ahdktd2InK
September 14, 2010 at 3:37 AM

Extremly late quickpawn very disappointed...n am a fan!

Qban
September 14, 2010 at 5:40 AM

No updates today? Any progress going on

Haack16
September 14, 2010 at 5:43 AM

This work on ipad? And will it be untererhed? I think this is great news!!!!

Jane
September 14, 2010 at 5:56 AM

HOw did you downgrade it?!

September 14, 2010 at 7:30 AM

Hi,

When may i come back here ?

I'm really waiting this Jailbreak, good job boys

Ghey
September 14, 2010 at 8:25 AM

This is so gay.

Gabriel
September 14, 2010 at 8:25 AM

When shatter will be released

Ak47313
September 14, 2010 at 8:32 AM

OMG finally. I just bought my iPhone 4 like around August 16 and it came with iOS 4.0.2 fuckk. I need jailbreak hurry !!!! Plzzzz

Mike
September 14, 2010 at 9:03 AM

I hate my Iphone, jailbroken, it still sucks. gimmee BB anyday (3gs 32g) not enough user options, apple make it too simplistic

September 14, 2010 at 9:25 AM

This sucks! It's a tethered jailbreak!

Enmanuel
September 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I cant wait for it to be released

Jakob
September 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I bet it will come out within a week two at the most

xdata
September 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM

高人你什麼時候放出SHAtter Jailbreak 的軟件啊.

You're a Great Master, When will you Put out SHAtter Jailbreak

Kaos2269
September 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I can't wait for this to come out. I already updated to 4.1 Huge difference in speed and usability on my iphone 4. Now all I need to do is unlock it's full potential and allow me to use my phone how I see fit. For one thing FACE TIME ON 3G!!!!!! Everyone else is doing it... Also would like to say thank you Jailbreak people... I hate coding so I know I won't be diving into that and you guys do it for free and post it at no charge for everyone. Poeple that bitch should f - off or send over a paypal payment to you. Then they have the right to complain...

Gabriel
September 14, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Like february 21?

Mike
September 14, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Yup sounds to good to be true, maybe just a bluff by the dev team to see how much money apple can give them. Nothing like this should be done for free. But I will wait like everyone else for it to jailbreak my iPod touch 4.

[...] is no iOS 4.1 jailbreak out yet. I previously posted about the SHAtter jailbreak, which will purportedly jailbreak all iOS devices for life. Greenpois0n is a jailbreak tool by the [...]

Gabriel
September 14, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Sorry. September 21

Nick
September 15, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Legit, it will come out when it's done.

If they rush it, there could be millions and millions of bricked iOS devices world wide because they missed something small.

So have a little patience for once. It's ridiculous that 65 of these comments are "OMFG HURRY UP" or "when iz dis comin out?"

Seriously, calm the fuck down.

Gabriel
September 15, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Ok,. Sorry

ITcrowd
September 15, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Maybe they should wait till iPad 7 inch version or iPhone 5 is released. SHAtter is such great exploit without possibility to patch by Apple firmware release. It would be pitty to loose it for next gen iDevices, especially if it turns out to be untethered.
For now some other userland exploit or something else could be released = giving Apple chance to fix.

nela
September 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM

hi, WHEN WILL THIS COME OUT .. PLEASE GIVE THE DATE

Hitea
September 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Im not think so can jailbreak for life, apple team is genius as well.

September 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Incorrect. Exploits found in the Bootrom _CANNOT_ be patched without a full hardware update. Just ask anyone with the iPhone 3G or iPod touch 2G (non-MC of course), Redsn0w will be able to jailbreak their devices forever on..

September 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM

sure it might jailbreak for life but will it also unlock the Subscriber Identity Module card

clint
September 17, 2010 at 12:34 AM

sorry to say but from what ive read if you already updated to 4.1 then you are pretty much screwed because its a trap from apple that you can never jailbreak your device http://www.quickpwn.com/2010/09/ios-4-1-jailbreak-ios-4-1-update-is-a-trap-stay-away-for-now.html

iOS 4.1 Jailbreak: iOS 4.1 Update is a TRAP, Stay Away For Now
If you want the iOS 4.1 jailbreak, stay far away from the iOS 4.1 update for now as it may compromise your iPhone or iPod touch jailbreak permanently. Most of you already know the drill, so help out those who don’t and click here to tweet this also share/like on Facebook...

check it out hope you're not screwed man good luck

Jared2k
September 17, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Cant wait for my iphone 4 4.0.2 to finally be over with!

Wake Up
September 17, 2010 at 5:56 AM

please wake up...Apple manufacture their own hadware...what do u think will happen???
it would only become harder for all future iphones to be jailbroken.
Everyone other there know Steve Jobs hates the likes of the dev team this will only force his hand to go the xtra mile. if this occurs its bound to get a device that would be almost impossible to jailbreak. as they say Never bite the hand that feeds you.

praneet
September 17, 2010 at 9:19 PM

it can be jailbroken but will take time............... n after this jail break some hardware changes will be made to block this jailbreak...................... it has been only been 10 days bee paitient....................

Nato
September 18, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Hi

I have an ipod touch 2nd gen mc model. I am just wondering if i could jailbreak it

Kaveh
September 18, 2010 at 8:19 AM

There is absolutely nothing Apple can do but leverage jailbreaking as something positive vs. negative as many here think. The reality is that any software you write is never perfect, featurefull, bugless, etc. As a result, you can spend your life trying to make is secure from coders who can and always will be able to get passed the gate keeper for binary liberation from it's creator.

Simply said... "there's a reason your front door locks came with keys" The only way Apple could prevent any jailbreak for any future update or other OS based product, would be by making the OS inaccessable to themselves written by themselves to be used by nothing.

Apple could care less about whose getting what for free... they know it's there, they know it's not going away, nor do they want it to. hacking or in this case jailbreaking gives apple an opportunity to continually improve their systems so they can continue to sell the products they do.

The hackers are the locksmiths of the world and Apple is it's number one customer!

Zmoz
September 18, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I want dis so badly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Person
September 19, 2010 at 4:52 AM

I can't wait :) frash FTW!!!

Marc
September 19, 2010 at 5:57 AM

I messed up and accidentally got my iphone 4 updated to the 4.1 version 2.10.4 version. What can I do to either J/B and unlock or go back to the previous version 4.0. I have no previous backups whatsoever. Have only the current one with 4.1. Am I making any sense?
Can anyone help or give advice?

September 20, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I think that warning was for phones that are already jailbroken, but better safe than sorry.

Lacie
September 21, 2010 at 5:17 AM

Hey I also bought a iphone 4 in september that had the firmwire 4.0.2 already installed and I need to back up my shsh with tiny umbrella? My baseband is 01.59.00.. And I’ve never used tiny umbrella so I may do it wrong? Cause my phone has never been jailbroken... Im going nuts trying to find out if my phone will be jailbreakable I’m not worried about a unlock or anything… And I’m also waiting on the jailbreak for 4.1 to come out so I can update my phone to 4.1…Cause I know there wont be a jailbreak for 4.0.2 =) For anyone who replies to me thank you for your time and answers

AxJaL
September 23, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Is this ever happening?? No updates for ages now. And if it is out could someone please tell me where I can find it for iPhone 4.

MACAPPLE
September 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM

YOUR SCREWED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manuel Garcia
September 25, 2010 at 3:24 AM

depends what firmware you are running. anything under 4.1 should be a breeze to jailbreak.... give it to a smart friend or watch youtube. that's where i started and now i have my own jailbreaking business. i've already made over $100 off this shit

AryaIssac
September 27, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Its only time that Apple should take it easy with this Jailbreak stuff, even allow Flash player in the bloody phone.

Because i believe i am addicted to Apple devices, but if in future i can find something from Microsoft or Google that looks like iphone, works like iphone or better and its jailbreakable or yet better i will definitely switch to some other phone.

And about feeding thing, I believe we are the ones who are feeding them and all of their share holders, we are the ones who are buying these stuff, with out us there wont be APPLE, they are not giving it for free.

I still love my (i) stuff, but I am not going to stick around if I can find something better and easier.

SO I THINK THIS SHOULD BE A WARNING TO APPLE STEVE JOBS TO READ TOO.
AND LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS AND NOT AT&T OR SIMILAR.

[...] the beginning of this month, the SHAtter iOS 4.1 Jailbreak Exploit was discovered by an iPhone hacker that goes by the name pod2g. pod2g [...]

richard allison
September 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM

i have 4.1 i jailbroke and im unnocked i did with snowbreeze bulid ur own custon ipsw

GH05T
September 29, 2010 at 6:02 AM

greetings richard allison:

wheres is your prove??
make a video of it if you already jailbreak your 4.1 firmware man.

Alex
September 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM

ok so I tried four different ways of making your own custom ipsw and restoring and none of them worked.
my iphone would always get stuck in recovery mode or itunes wouldn't make let it work.
And don't tell me use tinyumbrella cause it didn't fix it either.

jorg
September 30, 2010 at 7:46 AM

did you jailbreake your itouch 4g???

[...] greenpois0n jailbreak software uses the SHAtter exploit which jailbreaks all iPhone and iPod touch and iPad hardware for life, and it will be [...]

guillaume
October 2, 2010 at 4:22 AM

i used snowbreeze 2.0.2 to jailbreak my ipod touch "MB" model and it worked, i have custom boot logo , multi task , springboard wallpaper, and all the features work

Adam
October 2, 2010 at 4:25 AM

It's not coming you guys have to whait sorry

chandler
October 3, 2010 at 8:14 AM

will shatter support mc models?

r2deizer
October 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Please let me know when SHAtter Jailbreak release, in Japan there is a lot of Brazilians who wants to come back to their country and unlock the iphone 4 Thanks

seth
October 5, 2010 at 1:41 AM

here you go guys, if you wana jailbreak a 4.1 version of your iphone 3g; ipod touch 2g mc or mb model

Crizzy
October 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM

I can't wait it's been too long already and I keep hearing rumors that it's coming out in the upcoming days I need it NOW!

tienhung
October 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I got tired of ios 4.1, the wait is too long as I no longer desire to use iphone 4 !

tienhung
October 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM

if possible, will change my ip4 to use 3GS iphone 3GS because Friendly with user
ios 4 use the not done stable!

apple_dc
October 7, 2010 at 10:50 AM

users may not be popular in the near ios4.1 to the difficulties created by apple

da bling thing
October 8, 2010 at 8:15 AM

is there a JB for 2G iOS 4.1 MC model?

wtfgreenpois0n
October 11, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Why did Geohot release his jailbreak 1-2 days BEFORE greenpois0n was about to come out? After all the anticipating with the dev team working on their jailbreak and taking extra time to avoid having bug issues that limera1n has, he just comes out of the blue and releases his. On the outside it just seems like he is trying to get as much attention as possible and he is just being a D-bag. Does anyone know why he did that? I heard that he was trying to save the SHAtter exploit for later so that both jailbreaks won't be patched, but form my understanding SHAtter was supposed to be an exploit that wouldn't be able to be patched. And if what he is saying is the reason he did this couldn't he save up his jailbreak instead of having dev team, who has accepted many donations from anxious fans, save theirs? I completely fail to see his logic in this situation and I want to hear other people's opinions on this matter and find out if there is some info that I am missing to see why he did this move.

RXRacer
October 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Errrrr..... Maybe because it's just human nature to be competitive. ih8sn0w, Geohot, Comex, DevTeam, etc are probably friends withing their community (or at least don't hate each other), but the fact is they're effectively competitors when it comes to Jailbreaking.

I have no doubt there was any malice or arrogance in Geohot getting his JB out first. He just got there first, and released it first. Simple as that. I think you'll find your WAY over analyzing, not to mention showing little insight into the inner workings of human beings. IE. We're competitive creatures.

On a side note, it wasn't even Geohot who got the 4.1 JB out first anyway. ih8sn0w released Snowbreeze 2.0.2 more than 2 weeks earlier than any of them. I've had my 4.1 Jailbroken since it was released on September 23. Limerain and Greenpoison weren't released until the 9th and 12th of Oct respectively.

October 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Can you guys let me know when this SHAtter has been released I've tired all other programs and they don't work for me so I hope this one does.

December 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM

@taras91

@taras91
Do you want to unlock jailbreak and unlock your iphone? First you can visit this site Simpleunlocking.com here you can get the remote unlocking service and unlock your iphone easily. Once unlock your iphone through this method . It doesn't require jailbreak process.

Using the free mobile unlocking instructions from this site Mobileunlockguide.com