Home » » Motorola Droid X and Android 2.2 Froyo Bug

Motorola Droid X and Android 2.2 Froyo Bug

Written By Unknown on Sunday, September 26, 2010 | 6:15 AM

Droid X: Froyo 2.2 Update
Motorola Droid X users got the Android 2.2 Froyo Update on Wednesday, September 22. Many Droid X fans were really excited to see this update, but unfortunately there were some annoying bugs in the Droid X Android 2.2 Froyo Update.  The most annoying bug involved the way text messages were handled on the Droid X phone.

The Droid X Froyo 2.2 update has changed the order of text messages. The most recent sent text message appears at the top, and received text messages appear wherever that conversation happens to be in the list. Notifications are not appearing in the notification bar consistently.  The Droid X phone also pauses or hangs whenever entering text messages from the standard keyboard (you can use Swype for now if you want to avoid this).

The only thing Droid X users on Android 2.2 can do is just wait for Motorola to issue a software update that fixes the bugs. Motorola is aware of this issue, and Matt from Motorola Droid support forums mentioned that the engineering team are already on it and they are working on fixing up the bugs. Unfortunately no ETA has been announced, but we'll let you know as soon as the update is released.

Danh Tran
September 26, 2010 at 7:42 AM

The media player is not working either. It's not reading any mp3 files.

Greg Martin
September 26, 2010 at 8:00 AM

What about the media player ( MUSIC ) not working

Fuck u droids
September 26, 2010 at 8:36 AM

HahahahhaHahaha buy an iphone lolololol

David
September 26, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Can we finally get emoticons, too?

kyle
September 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM

hahaah yeah I haven't had any problems with my iphone.

Chris
September 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM

My iPhone 4 texting works perfectly. Oh and the iPod is amazing ;D

Master
September 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM

iPhone 4 rock!!!!!

Rob
September 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM

This is why locking down the bootloader was such a retarded move on Motos part. Koush would have had this fixed quickfast.

blam
September 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM

what about the droid x sticking at the M upon bootup after upgrade? this is far worse then a CEO telling me how i should hold my phone.

iLosers_are_entertaining
September 26, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Mine works fine. Glad to see the iLosers have "droid" tagged in their news feeds. The minute an article comes out they are all over it. Losers always provide great entertainment.

kyle
September 26, 2010 at 3:31 PM

the droid is crap, i tried it out and horrible. the droid cant do it how the iphone can. pure simple, faster, easier and can actually get the task done. lol

Master
September 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Droid sucks!!!!

oliver2833
September 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM

i use handcent for texting and i have not had any problems what so ever and my phone is functioning perfectly ...

September 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

what will be the name of the new phone which has no bugs?

Android 2 iOS
September 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I came from android to ios and i like ios but i miss my android. Ios is missing some major customization options that i just love to have. These bugs are a shame but at least motorola is listening and taking action. If it was apple you'd be screwed.

jonathan
September 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM

The new update doesnt let u put the phone on silence just vibrate. I cant have this. Im planning on taking the phone back is doesnt doesnt get fixed

CWD
September 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Yeah - your iphone works great for everything BUT making phone calls!!!

Woodsidekid
September 27, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Even if they fix all many problems with the Droid it will never be an iPhone. A manufacture can make the greatest phone possible with all the bells and whistles but it will always be missing one thing, THE APP STORE. It would be like having a Ferrari with no tires. What good would it be then

rizz0rainmaker
September 27, 2010 at 7:43 AM

I just got the droid X. Sooo glad I got rid of my blackberry. Its easier to type on this than on the iPhone. If at&t actually got service here i'd prob b on the iphone boat. But I think the droid definitely has potential as long as they cut the shit with releasing bugged updates. Glad my media players not the only fucked up one though.

seasideviewer
September 27, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Who ever said motorola, LG, Samsung, and the like want to be the iphone? You know what's more important than an app store? It's SIGNAL. So enjoy your Ferrari with tires, if it doesn't have an engine at least you can push it down a hill for a thrill or two. You're post would have been more competent had you just said, "igive Steve Jobs ijobs in back ally's". Make sure you hold your phone properly.

Jonathan
September 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I had this issue on my droid x as well, for me though, if i power down the device and remove the battery for 10 seconds or so and then power it back up the mp3 files work again. I have to do this daily after I charge the phone, its a pain, but it has my music working again.

Mike D.
September 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM

To disable vibrate, go to settings, sound, vibrate then select never. You'll now have a choice of sound and silent!

Andres
September 27, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Im rather impressed with 2.2 except for the bugs mentioned above. Another thing, why is it that every Droid or Android post, forum, etc I go to, there are iPhone people claiming droid and android sucks. No one cares what you think.

E
September 27, 2010 at 1:20 PM

All you have to do is go to settings and sounds....Turn the vidrate off and it will go into silent mode...

rangbacon
September 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM

The iPhone is a piece of crap. Everything it could never do and will never do, android already can and has surpassed. Maybe you should tag your own phone in news feeds and you'll figure that one out. Or you could try to use it...

rangbacon
September 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM

No App Store? We have an open app Market. All the apps you have that we don't are being developed for android as we speak. And guess what.. most of them are already there. So, we can use our phones to play games AND makes phone calls. That's just crazy talk, huh?

Scary
September 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Hmmmm... Original Droid 2.2 Shadow Rom with 900mhz overclock, free wireless tether, FULLY customizable hasn't let me down yet. Keep your Droid X, 2, RIM, and definitely keep your Apple iOS. I will take my true multitasking, Flash, Exchange email, Gmail, Google Voice integration, VPN access, Remote Desktop, Free Turn by Turn Nav, and 100's of extra apps. I know you Apple guys like your 1/4 million apps, however, I rarely use all of my 30 downloaded apps... Why run a swimming pool sized bath, when all ya need is a tub?

JakeMacaluso
September 28, 2010 at 5:03 AM

yea handcent is baller, better notifications and automatic reply option...fully customizable colors and backgrounds too if you are into aesthetics

Ivro1
September 28, 2010 at 7:01 AM

All the functions eg: multitasking etc. except flash the iphone all does and better. "true" multitasking will never be practical for phones because the screen is too small. i do have an iphone, and i love it. i also think that android is a good idea, but i dont have it because of the same reasons as the above: glitches bugs galore. apple made a mistake with 4.0 for 3g and i suffered for it. now i have 4.1, and my iphone cant disappoint me, even when i have the multitasking enabled. i understand why people like the android platform cuz of all the customization, but hey, who needs all that i need is a phone, ipod, and all the apps appstore has...dont even try to bring up "wawawa you cant phone" hell ya i can..better than most of the phones i have had in the past...if i had not bought an iphone first, i might be part of the android crowd. but i bought an iphone so it would now be a downgrade for me cuz im used to the smoothness/ease of use of the iphone and i cant trade it for anything. my friend got the new galaxy s phone..screen broke the first week of use. my cousin has the htc aries..hes disappointed with the build quality. my other cousin got a nexus 1..had issues with it..hes now waiting for a galaxy s but im pretty sure he'll not like it soon.. my point is that im glad i have an iphone cuz it fricken works..thats all i need.

deeny
September 28, 2010 at 9:32 AM

iphones sux ass ok let u all know that ok your phones dont do the have of what the droids are capable of so chill

Ivro1
September 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM

give me one thing of importance that a droid does that an iphone cant..i dont mean 'yay i can put different colors for stuff and yay i can put widgets woohoo' thats just silly

Herpaderpa
September 28, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Jailbroken iPhone > Everything.

jay
September 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Droid sucks! its still behind iOS4. Froyo still has less app pages/folders and still behind Ios4. Facetime kills every video chat droid has. No droid can touch the retina display!My iphone 4 has great reception. I know at least over 20 others with the same iphone4 with no call reception issues. That whole thing Deathgrip thing was bogus.Every single critic on the web has iphone4 beating all droids in every faceoff. The bells and whistles kill all of droids. They really need to mix the best of evo/X/incredible just to compete with the iphone4.

September 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM

We need a Dev to build a cross platform app that would let an IPhone user and a Dud oops I mean Droid user connect their handsets with a cable or wirelessly, then each phone starts trying to crash the other one by flooding it with data processes. Or we could just take this to IRC and settle it once and for all!!!! Lmao.
My iPhone 4 hasn't dropped a single call yet. That's like an over exaggerated urban myth. There was like 50 phones from the first production run that were F'd up. Think they had some Droid parts in them. Once that was fixed....

CPT. Obvious
September 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM

IOS 4 is utter garbage on any device besides the Iphone 4, I don't care either for releasing an "urgent" update that merely cancels out jailbreaking. I own one, sure, but it's worthless without a jailbreak.

droid
September 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Hey, I came from the iPhone, I had the 3g, 3gs and the iPhone 4, but android does one million things iPhone can't right out the box, there are no limits whit android. I have the HTC evo and the epic4g and this two phones cam take Amy iPhone down Any time in any task.

ChrisU
September 28, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I have a JB iPhone 4. I have to support a number of various phones at work - VPN and email support, including BB and Droid. I have carried all of them and bottom line - some of the Droid phones have better hardware (better cameras, removable batteries, memory cards, larger screens). iPhone 4 is faster performing, better quality screen, and things, well, just work. It's like Linux years ago trying to emulate Windows. It could be made to kinda do it, but not really. Droid will be awesome once the apps hit and the OS matures in 2-3 years, but where will iPhone be then. I have yet to find a single thing any Droid can do that I cannot do on my JB iPhone. I can find a few hundred things I can do that Droid cannot. BTW, we have had users turn in their Droids for iPhones. Never had an iPhone user go Droid.

iPod fan
September 28, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPod and it 10,000x better once you jailbreak it. (btw flashing your rom doesn't even come close to what jailbreaking can do, and every flashed droid I've seen is on a rom that pretends to be an iPod). That being said, I don't see what you iPhone idiots are talking about.
1. SERVICE 2. Screen size 3. HDMI output 4. 7mp camera 5. The droid store has 90% of the apps the apple store has, and about 500 more apple wouldn't think of letting developers market. So their new update is shitty, in a month it'll be fixed. Your iPhone however will never get service outside of major cities. So that doesn't make your iPhone much better than my iPod does it? Oh wait, I don't get raped by a contract to have my iPod, so it's worse isn't it?

Jason
September 28, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I love both phones! Otherwise I wouldn't get the entertainment of reading comments from adolescences saying, "you suck", "no, your the one that sucks." LOL

GetALife
September 28, 2010 at 10:36 AM

All of you need to seriously get a life. Who gives a crap what everyone's opinions are. Buy what you like and want and move on. You won't change a Droid user's opinion anymore than you'd change an iPhone user's opinion. Every one of you need to get off the damn computer, go outside and enjoy fresh air once-in-a-while. Oh and stay in school because some of you seriously can't spell worth a damn.

Dankula
September 28, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I don't know, I haven't had a single issue with my X since the update at all. I've had both and just my opinion, but the iphone pales in comparison to me in just about every category. I had nothing but problems with not only the iphone but the itouch as well. There are some things like some text selection across some apps I'd like to see, but even my blackberry did that better than the iphone. Other than that I think the selection is neither better or worse in normal browsing and such. Like I said though it's preference for me. AT&T sucks, might even be worse than Sprint now, Verizon doesn't. I've had it since launch and an more impressed everyday while the iphone in any iteration never really impressed me at all.

Efrain Coronel
September 28, 2010 at 10:47 AM

all about the iPhone 4!!!!

Chris
September 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM

You know there are I think 2 comments on here. I love both phones. I have an iPhone 4, my brother has a Droid X. We both love each others phones. They are the tops phones. Please stop with the one over the other. Of course since I have the iPhone 4, I prefer it. But the droid X has it's ups over iPhones too.

droid
September 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM

If Apple gets a brick and put their brand on it and call it ibrick you I lovers will call it the best brick ever, lol, get your own life. Stop praising apple, praise God! He will pay you back for praising him, Apple won't

theblackpearl
September 28, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Both phones are great and both have their pros and cons, just accept that!

iPhone to Droid
September 28, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I switched from an iphone to the Droid. Don't miss the iphone at all.

DJ
September 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Haha. All this crap talking. That's why you have to "ROOT" a Andorid device to take a screenshot.
What else? That's why most of your phones looks like something from NASCAR. Droid X has Motorola on it. Then Google. And then Verizon over it. The iPhone only has Apple. Not all that Bullshit. So no, your Droid is not better, let alone better looking.

HeywoodFloyd
September 28, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I'll say what I've been telling all my friends: THE IPHONE IS THE ONLY THING APPLE HAVE DONE RIGHT! Everything else apple just blows. There were times I felt like tearing my hair out trying to use my mac to do the most basic things, but apple love to complicate things so rest assured you'll need to run an app to do anything and everything on macs. This is why I hate everything else they've done. Now I got this iPhone 3GS as a gift from my sister and the moment I JB it I fell in love. The apps are cool, the iPod does the job and so does safari. On the other hand I love my windows and Microsoft so I adore my friends HTC and after playing around with it and using my iPhone I felt like I was downgrading when I saw the screen size difference. That being said they both have their advantages, each phone suites the type of person you are and how you like to roll. I see the HTC as a more professional, technical persons phone while the iPhone is an all round solid phone for the layman. Oh and the coment about apple selling a brick, my friend and I were joking about apple lunatics I mean fans loving anything apple branded. If apple released feaces-in-a-box with the apple logo on it, rest assured the crazies will get in line to dish out their money and bask in the glory of apple's crap. Pun intended.

Clevername
September 28, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Put simply both platforms are great I own a nexus and an iPhone 4 and live them both but quite honestly the iPhone is way better. Flash on 2.2 wasn't ready for mainstream. Widgets and customization is great but to truly do things the iPhone can't it needs to be rooted. But a jailbroken iPhone can do everything a rooted iPhone can. When it comes down to it their pretty even but an iPhone does provide a more enjoyable experience. And to those that say android apps equal iPhone apps that's bs. Far from equal. Android can't match the high quality games like chaos rings, modern combat, madden, nova, real racing, haws, and plenty of others. Nova is a great exple ofthe many console quality games. BUt the best example would be EPIC games(yes gears of wars epic games) citadel. Right now only the demo os out but the graphics, especially on the iPhone 4's HD screen match the 360. Maybe not the best 360 games but some. Don't believe me YouTube it. It's mind-blowing it runs on a phone. And the controls are tight as well. THAT won't be done on android. So sure android is getting a lot of new developers but apple still pulls the big boys.

HeywoodFloyd
September 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM

@Clevername. I can vouch for Epic Citadel being incredible. Even on my iPhone 3GS it blows everyone away I show it to. I describe it as 'visuals on par with Oblivion on the Xbox 360' and it truly is! I haven't seen what the droid is capable of so I won't comment on that.

Clevername
September 29, 2010 at 4:43 AM

@heywoodfloyd that's the example I was looking for, oblivion. Not to say no other phone can match this. But that the iPhone can run unreal engine 3 so smoothly with no hickups is amazing. This isn't some parted down unreal lite. This is the same engine gears 3 runs on. Maybe the x can maybe not, I think it could, but it's more than just power, it's about architecture. The galaxy s with it's hummingbird most likely can, but my point is that the big devs still know the place to be is cuppertino.

Al
September 29, 2010 at 10:36 AM

A few hundred? Name 5.

Al
September 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM

You don't have to root an Android to take a screenshot. However, it is unnecessarily complicated.

Al
September 29, 2010 at 10:43 AM

The droids are less refined, true. But there is no way to argue that they aren't more powerful in the hands of the right user. It is just that folks like you aren't skilled enough to use them. Think about it, everyone's granny can use an iPhone: that means Apple has made all of the choices already so that people can't mess up the phone. That also means you have fewer choices=less power.

Eric
September 29, 2010 at 3:42 PM

So, what do I do if the update never came across my phone? Do I have to complain to some tech support guy here on the web or take the phone in to a Verizon Store and have some guy behind the counter make me look like an idiot because of something i did ( or didn't do) to let the download come through?

Ese
September 29, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Yu all suk iPhones rule that is all

World vs apple
September 30, 2010 at 5:36 AM

yes the iphone rules, it rules all ifans who think that anything that has an apple is the best thing out, even if the product dodoesn't do nothing .lol!!!!

eayala
October 4, 2010 at 7:12 AM

It also freezes up a lot more than before
I

iPhone 4 Man
October 9, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I'm sure they're equally as good. LOL JK! IPHONE 4'S KICK ASS! And if someone wants to customize their iPhone, jailbreak your iPhone and get winterboard. I'm sure the iPhone can do everything a droid can do, and like a million more things. I've never tried one, I'm not saying they're bad, but after reading these comments, iPhone is looking way better, and I have one :P