Home » » Jailbreak Day: Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, or iPod touch is now100% LEGAL

Jailbreak Day: Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, or iPod touch is now100% LEGAL

Written By Hans Berger on Monday, July 26, 2010 | 1:50 PM

Jailbreak Day

iPhone hackers rejoice, this is the moment we have all been waiting for. Today is the day jailbreaking software has been made 100% legal. I hereby officially declare today Jailbreak Day, if you are on Twitter, please click here to tweet this (help #JailbreakDay TREND)  also share/like on Facebook, and remember to follow @QuickPWN if you aren't already. You can legally jailbreak iPhone 4G (no jailbreak available for this new phone yet), iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch.  Now it was never ILLEGAL anyway, but Apple was trying to make it illegal. Thanks to the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) for sticking out for the iPhone hacking community, jailbreaking and unlocking any iPhone is completely legal.

Don't confuse this with the iPhone EULA (End user license agreement), jailbreaking still voids the warranty on your iPhone. For those that don't know, see the full jailbreak page to find out what jailbreak is.

You won't be able to jailbreak the new iPhone 4 yet, but you can jailbreak the older iPhone. Just see our jailbreak iOS 4.0.1 post for more info if you are interested in jailbreaking.

diamondshark
July 26, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I had a dream, that one day all the apple users in the world could sit in one conference, with jailbroken phones. My friends, today is that day! haha. :)

jessica
July 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM

how does this help me ? i have a ipod touch 3g with 4.0 version update how and when can i jail break it its a MC model also

Eli
July 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

downgrade to 3.1.3 and u can jailbreak for now

Harry
July 26, 2010 at 4:22 PM

If i update 4.0 through itunes will my iphone get locked currently using 3.1.2 help!

Sudip Sigdel
July 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM

This is the morning brilliant news for me

Sudip Sigdel
Nepal

saawan
July 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM

AM SURPRISED WHEN I SAW THE MSG ON MY SCREEN FROM THE IPHONE TOOLBAR SAYING "TODAY IS THE JAILBREAK DAY" ..... AT LAST FINALLY........... HAPPY JAILBREAK DAY...

Dogzday
July 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Oh no, wait for 4.1 later this summer. I'm 75% gauranteed 4.1 will release this summer, unless it's confirmed somewhere else I don't know about.

Romeosince87
July 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

U can jailbreak with blacksn0w like I did

martin
July 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I'm afraid I'm not technologically astute but if I know jailbreaking is a good thing, yet I don't want to risk Apple punishing me whenever I sync my iphone 3gs to iTunes and find I can no longer sync my applications, music, etc. Are there any side-effects to jailbreaking my phone. I am one of those folk who want to improve my phone operations but I'm stuck with two bars when other phones have more because they have better service and better applications.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Scott Westall
July 26, 2010 at 9:40 PM

How does this help? Jailbreakers have already decided they are going to jailbreak regardless of it being legal or illegal. I have an iPhone 4 4.0 software and a 3GS running 4.0 with the new bootrom. (MC) never been jailbroke before. I am waiting for the day I can jailbreak either one of them!

mawson
July 26, 2010 at 9:40 PM

if only apple lets people jailbreak...

July 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM

The bottom line is that this day will be in history as the day when all iPhones got finally FREE

RANDSTIEN
July 27, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I remember when I waited for some guy named Geohot to post a jailbreak for my iphone.I don't wait anymore.I'm on Verizon with a DROID INCREDIBLE WOOT WOOT

Gregoriy
July 27, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Good morning all.
How and when would i be able to travel with my iphone 4 32GB???
any word on when is it going to be unlocked???

July 27, 2010 at 2:04 AM

I have a 3gs that has old bootrom according to mac sysprofiler while in DFU mode, iBoot 359.3. But i get Error 1600 when trying to restore, diffnt user accounts, diffnt usb ports, etc...any ideas? it is running iOS4.

V.Jones
July 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I can't wait for a Newer Jail-Breaking software to come out. Maybe Spirit, i hope.

Bryan
July 27, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Just so you all know. Its not iPhone 4G.

steve
July 28, 2010 at 11:20 AM

now people i meet wont look at me like i am a hacker criminal when i happen to casually mention i have a jail-broken iphone. it's happened so many times i stopped talking about it unless others said first

Brian
July 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM

This is pretty ambiguous news.

What exactly made it legal? Was there a court ruling? Did Apple state they won't pursue locking it down? Was there an EFF announcement?

Reference(s) please?

Eno1
July 28, 2010 at 3:57 PM

That's because iTunes is signing, direct it to cydia and it should fix!

stephen
July 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM

HI Martin. If your using a Iphone 3GS dont worry about Apple punishing you etc.. You can still sync all your apps with ITunes, even the free ones you download.
All you need to do is from Cydia (the app that you get the free stuff from) download Appsync.. This will allow you to sync all your apps, paid for or not with ITunes and Apple wouldnt know any different.

Hope that helps.

Hans
July 29, 2010 at 7:09 AM

See http://www.eff.org.

funkysy
July 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM

all 3g on 4.0 and 4.01 can be jailbreak with redsn0w

V.Jones
July 29, 2010 at 7:48 PM

IOS 4.1 05.14.01_BL01 Baseband is "Not Unlockable".
Avoid this Update If You Want the Unlock.

bannanadk
July 30, 2010 at 3:56 AM

sniff'... im so confused ^^, finally the jailbreak day has ben released!

bannanadk
July 30, 2010 at 3:58 AM

itsnot legal anymore :D

Sunny
July 30, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I have 3GS & 3G don't know how to jailbrake and unlock both of them. Please help i use windows 7 computer.

sfdg82
August 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Is there any other method to jailbreak 3Gs 4.0.1 except jailbreakme.com.