Home » » New iPhone 4G Release Date: Verizon iPhone or Sprint iPhone possible

New iPhone 4G Release Date: Verizon iPhone or Sprint iPhone possible

Written By Hans Berger on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 | 10:18 AM

new iPhoneThe new iPhone 4G release date is in June 2010, and the picture above is an iPhone 4G. iPhone 4G means iPhone fourth generation, not 4G network. Gizmodo, a tech news site took this photo of the iPhone 4G before returning the prototype back to Apple. A Verizon iPhone is possible, but it is more likely that it will launch in 2011.

A Sprint iPhone seems to be more likely to launch this year because Sprint already has their 4G network ready, and they plan to launch their first 4G phone, which is the HTC Evo 4G in June. If either Verizon or Sprint get iPhone, I'm switching right away. What about you?

MacOren
April 22, 2010 at 1:39 AM

I will not switch from AT&T. I took for granted that I could surf the net and talk on the phone at the same time until I saw the commercials about it. Just to comfirm, I asked Verizon users about it. I'm a multitasker. Verizon is NOT an option for me. As far as Sprint goes I used to be a subscriber. I vowed never to go back to them unless they make some serious changes. The Iphone has been a wonderful smart phone to own. I will get the the newer version when it comes out.

Chase Edwards
April 22, 2010 at 3:52 AM

it better be for sprint cause im tired of seeing everybpdy with an iphone with at&t and sprint is way better

Ike
April 22, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Your speculation about Sprint getting the iPhone is based on nonexistent info or is completely misinformed. The iPhone 4G is not designed to be compatible with Sprint's type of WiMax 4G networks. Also, even Verizon may not be getting the iPhone because Apple is still exclusive with AT&T and uses a completely different cellular technology (GSM) while Sprint/Verizon use CDMA. And, Sprint does not have the kind of market prestige and leverage to attract Apple. And I say that as a loyal Sprint subscriber who likes their service and doesn't care for the iPhone -- just being honest.

Kenzy Jones
April 22, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I am sick of seeing all these people walk around with an iPhone acting like they are better than the people that don't have one. If sprint comes out with one this June I will be buying one in a heartbeat.

Jack
April 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Ike, you may be a little off on your facts. Yes, until June At&t has an exclusive on the iPhone, but come June that agreement is over. Verizon is in active talks with Apple and they are currently working to release an iPhone for the Verizon network. Verizon and Sprint use the same type of network "CDMA" - So it is very likely that an iPhone for Sprint could be in the foreseeable future as well.

rusty
April 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Do about 1 min of research and you will realize that this is completely wrong or half wrong. Gizmodo has taken a good look at the phone, on the right side there is a micro sim card slot. Now take a look at the iPad 3g there is a micro sim card(link below). To begin sprint, verizon don't use sim cards at all. At the time of the release, AT&T was the only one who supports micro sims(T-mobile claims to bring support for micro sims)

So the conclusion is there will be an AT&T iPhone 4g. As for a verizon or sprint iPhone we will all have to wait and see. As for me, I am with AT&T and do not want to switch, verizon (at least in my area) is nowhere near AT&T.

Owen
April 23, 2010 at 5:19 AM

Actually a CDMA iPhone will be available summer 2010 in South Korea for KTN customers, and guess what.. KTN also runs a WiMAX network, so it is very likely that Apple could introduce that exact same iPhone with Sprint once the exclusivity agreement runs out in June. Not saying its going to happen, but if you're Apple and you've already spent the money to develope/test the device why not sell as many a you can???

Kenzy Jones
April 23, 2010 at 1:59 PM

@Ike...
If you had done your research, you would know that the iPhone 4G IS built with CDMA so it will work with either Sprint or Verizon. Sprint doesn't have the kind of market prestige to attract people? Come out of your cave Ike Bin Laden! Sprint has a very loyal customer base, and in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't matter who Apple were to decide upon. Customers will flock to whomever has the new iPhone.

April 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

If sprint gets the iPhone, I'm hopping on it. I like the phone, but don't like AT&T. I pay for three lines compared to two lines my brother has. Even he likes my phone (Palm Pre) which multi-tasks madd things....aka: different applications at once (games, internet, music, pictures, camera, video record...etc), just by the swiping of the application to the side.... That's the most def. difference maker for me!

April 25, 2010 at 5:55 AM

yeah all sprint phones even blackberrys have the card slot that dont mean anything.

John
April 27, 2010 at 5:43 AM

ATT signed a new contract extending with Apple until 2012 late last year.

Hubert
April 27, 2010 at 6:51 AM

All the comments from you guys and the article is just speculation. The reality is we don't know. Its funny how some of you speak with certainty or "did your research". The fact is we don't know what apple is doing. They can be working They can be working on phone for both networks for all we know.

Only time will tell!

johnboy
May 13, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Well, my sources tell me the iPhone on Sprint is a done deal, so your honesty is appreciated, but simply incorrect. Also note that the article explains its not a 4G Network phone, its a 4th version of the iPhone.