Home » » Jailbreak iPad

Jailbreak iPad

Written By Unknown on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 | 7:07 AM

Jailbreak iPad

Apple announced their iPad tablet today and a lot of you may be wondering whether or not it is possible to jailbreak the iPad. The iPad currently runs on iPhone 3.2 OS which will only be available on the iPad, and not on the iPhone or iPod touch. There are many different teams of iPhone hackers which I am sure will attempt to jailbreak iPad once it's released.

The problem is that Apple has been changing their hardware and software and trying hard to patch software exploits that are used in jailbreaks. This was apparent when the 24kpwn exploit was patched when Apple released a newer iPhone 3GS and iPod touch model. When Apple patched the 24kpwn exploit, users were required to jailbreak each time they rebooted their iDevice (also called tethered jailbreak). Is it possible for Apple to completely block the jailbreak in the iPad? I doubt it because there has always been an exploit that the iPhone hacking community have been able to find and use. At the very least we should be able to get a tethered jailbreak on the iPad. I'm pretty sure Geohot will be the one who can get us an iPad jailbreak as he is very skilled at this! We'll just have to wait and see because the iPad won't be released until about 60 days from now.

Wes
January 27, 2010 at 7:33 AM

I doubt Geohot will be interested, he's playing with the PS3 right now. Hopefully the Dev Team or Chronic will try to crack it, but I imagine it will take quite some time.

Donsen
January 27, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I got to say it . What the hell !! The ipad looks like a over grown itouch . You can't shove it in your pocket and go with it or hide it. It looks like it needs to stay at home cause it can't come out and play all that time maken that you could not shove a camera in a ipod touch come on a waste of time . I could understand if the ipad was a computer but it's not and yea it can last 10 hours longer cause it gots a bigger battery .

January 27, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Don't really like this new iPad.. Looks more like an iPod Touch than a computer.... Maybe for those that want a Netbbook is gonnabe nice; not for me really,.. better an alienware with dual boot w7 and Debian..

iHail
January 27, 2010 at 9:13 AM

yes i agree with Donsen. I was expecting an iPad that ran Mac OS X 10.6! I rather stick with my iPhone cuz it will do what the iPad does plus it is jailbroken...i might work on jailbreaking this which should be interesting. Chronic and Dev Team prob wont get it done til GeoHot. My guess is when GeoHot is done with the PS3 he will be the first to jailbreak. iH8sn0w can find some holes to along with me so my only interest in the iPad is to Jailbreak it that would be it!

neuronite
January 27, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Where there is a will... there is a way!!!

zed
January 27, 2010 at 9:52 AM

cant wait i read books sports and games, stuff the net , its perfect i have macbook AND IPHONE 3GS IPAD ITS GOING TO BE NEXT IM THINKING JUST GETTING WFFI THE 3G IT WASTE OF MONEY I COULD TETHER THUR MY IPHONE ITS JAILBROKEN

January 27, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I think he should focus on an untethered jailbreak for the late iPhone 3gs first.. it was promised at the end of last year, and we're still waiting.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing.. but it would be better to get to those people first.

michael
January 27, 2010 at 10:28 AM

dude ive had an untetheredjailbreak for months... i have an iphone 3gs white 32 gig

tony
January 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM

how u no hes on ps3? and wat is he trying to do on ps3

BigMacBook1300
January 27, 2010 at 1:25 PM

im wondering how will it play along with my macbook & i think its the future of all computers. ? wondering if you can hook up some sort of cd burner. I have the G3S jailbroken the works im wondering if you can & I think its going to be a 3G type of phone device bluetooth and all. also if I can get any of my mac programs like Final Cut Pro or Propellerhead Reason/Record if this is possable Apple just took a crap on the whole electronic smartphone internet browsing computing world and im going to get me 1 even if i got to stand in the mall all day!!!!! Apple Rules

wizdude
January 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM

if you've had a untethered jailbreak for months, you obviously have a 3GS manufactured BEFORE Apple changed the bootrom. anything manufactured before 2009 week 40 should be fine.

that's why cheese man said "the LATE iPhone 3GS" ... he means NEW 3GS's that have to be tethered since Apple removed the 24kpwn exploit.

Teddy3indc
January 27, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I don't think that I will get one of these in the near future, unless it meets two of these conditions:
1. Jailbreaking
2. Mac OS x software instead of the "baby" software
3. (Just for Me) Ability to plug it into my car somehow. Either as a carputer type of thing, or a Ipod like plugin

It really does look like an overgrown touch. I already have a macbook pro, iphone, and ipod. I don't know if I need a needless catch all for these. My Pro is great and fits all my computer purposes. The iphone is great for the pocket uses. My ipod is permanently in my car as a media source. What could I use this for? Oh and I already have a Sony ebook reader, which is great for reading.

Christian
January 27, 2010 at 8:56 PM

They should have put the mac os on it.. I would have snatched one up but I don't have much use for a giant iPod. Hopefully the untethered 3gs jailbreak exploit you guys are hiding can work for this too?

joe
January 28, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Tony you are are slow moron. you follow nothing and need to be kicked out of this form u faget. geohot unloclked PS3 it was on the news idiot

jacob
January 28, 2010 at 3:46 AM

i agree with teddy completely

cobalt
January 28, 2010 at 4:16 AM

@Joe

Did you forget your meds this morning? That was totally uncalled for. I guess since you are the source of all human knowledge you won't mind someone talking to you like this the second you don't know something. Nothing worse than an asshole with a little knowledge trying to look down his nose at someone.

Chroma
January 28, 2010 at 6:53 AM

lol joe...
U GOT PWNED
little idiot trying to look cool with a knowhow of a dog

michael
January 28, 2010 at 10:17 AM

is there a difference in the actual phone?

moe
January 29, 2010 at 5:42 AM

for real joe ur a loser for sure. get a life.

Spencer
January 29, 2010 at 1:59 PM

According to my friend... all ipods that you can put apps on have the un encrpyted software which allows them to atleast be edited in... so aslong as there is publicly made apps on the ipad there will be a jailbreak, so all that apple can do is patch the software, and when they do that they can work around it. so im pretty sure you will be able to jailbreak

john
January 30, 2010 at 12:47 PM

like the concept... too bad the os sucks and they'll release a better one by next summer and a better by the next summer... what retard would by the crappiest one? i might get once it goes to the 3 gen phase... but now its just an oversized ipod touch. iPhone 3GS kicks that iPad's ass

DeOneFour
January 31, 2010 at 6:55 AM

I got a hp 2133 it would pwn the ipad any day

timmm
February 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM

same. I jailbroke my 32g 3gs with blackra1n early on. i can shut down reboot and let the batt die all i want with no rejailbreak required. (retardations permitting^)

iHope
February 1, 2010 at 2:40 PM

i wanted to buy a new laptop, but when i heard of the release of the ipad i changed my mind completely. sure its an oversized ipad, but bigger is better in my opinion. well have more finger space to do more. lager screen never hurt anyone. though with osx it would of had more of a hype. but with the iphone os we have access to 140,000+ apps. if it ran osx itd prob need more processing power to rum in full detail and most programs. so unless theyll upgrade the hardware later on; this version seems very descent and i look forward to its release. though ill prob wait for confirmation of jailbreak. the announcement of apples A4 chip sorta makes me think if itll be harder to crack.

jame
February 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM

This is gonna suck if i try to hide this in school listen to music

Robben
February 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM

I think it's stupid Apple is even trying to block it. If I were them I would want people to know so more people would get it

Chad
February 5, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Wow... you have to be a really insecure person.

Drew
February 6, 2010 at 4:29 AM

Yes. The program in the bootrom has been changed.

With the new (Post-2009 week 40) 3GS bootrom, the iPhone goes into an unusable recovery mode after every reboot. You need to re-jailbreak it with blackra1n every time you reboot the iPhone.

My 3GS was the older one, so it has an untethered jailbreak.

My dad wasn't so lucky, however. His newer iPhone 3GS had to be re-jailbroken after every restart.

February 8, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Damn yes completely pwn'ed people like that should really consider seeing a specialist

JB Ipad
February 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM

do you think that since the ipad supports other file formats you could use one of them as an exploit in the filesystem i think i might look into this when i get my hands on one.

felkip\edbefkibefbe
February 13, 2010 at 9:41 AM

well, i think u shud shut the freak up.... it may be big( donsen ) but think about it... u cud put it in a book, pretend to be reading while watchin a video or sumthin... DUHHRRR!!!! then ull feel all bad/cool like joe did..... but u'll actually bb cool... yea, joe.... u got caught... nd when are u gunna come out of the closet? yea.. thtz rite... i knoe about ur gay affair wif robert

james
February 15, 2010 at 2:29 PM

yeah tony you are an idiot. i cant believe the rest of you idiots either. tony is a complete fool.

xbrad
March 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Yea, only one problem. They've stated "the ipad will NOT be able to be tethered with the iphone"

So you'll have to wait till its jailbroken or something....:/

March 15, 2010 at 1:15 AM

hey people id realy like to know what the jailbreak does and to to create one just get in my iphone files and fool around see what i can find, what do i need to do this? just normal ssh or a more complex thing and if i want to get in my xbox what do i need?

Mikitukka
March 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM

how are you planning to connect it? There are no USB Ports!

IPAD=WASTE
March 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM

The thing Apple doesn't know is that people are buying Ipod Touches mainly because you can jailbreak them, but their to stupid to realize that so they keep and trying to patch it. If i would ever buy an ipad it would only be if you could jailbreak it and it had flash. Apple missed way to much on the ipad : CAMERA, USB PORTS, FLASH, MULTITASKING, ACTUAL OSX (a limited iPhone OS is installed)

March 19, 2010 at 1:43 AM

fk all of yous lol ipad will be broke as all apple devices have been. losers get a life

March 22, 2010 at 7:32 AM

your a gay homo jailbreaking stuff for free games... just pay for the fun apps. also DONT find a way to jailbreak the ipad please if you do i will find out how the jailbreak works and apple will permanently fix the hardware... BTW i am aswell apart of apple corperation. Thamk you have a nice day

iAnthony
March 22, 2010 at 11:02 AM

In George we trust, he's the #1.

cody
March 22, 2010 at 2:55 PM

jailbreaking an ipad would be the shit
u are all gay if u dont agree

Ipod User
March 23, 2010 at 1:49 PM

you do realize you can't even spell the word "Thank" right, correct?

fastlane
March 28, 2010 at 2:35 AM

I didnt jailbreak for free games as you put it.. I did it so I could customize my device.. if apple made it possible to customize on its own there wouldnt be a need for jailbreaking... IMO

Brian
April 1, 2010 at 7:33 AM

hey andrew..go suck a dude off

JBIPD
April 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Just jailbreak the thing.... who cares, btw, andrew do wat Brian said, go suck a dude of and for freak nut, go grow some nuts and suck a dude off.

macAbuzer
April 4, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Apple Employees are restricted from blogging. Re-observe your company policies.

newzealand jailbreaker
April 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM

andrew maybe if the public had more freedom with apples devices we wouldnt have to jailbreak not everyone jailbreaks for free apps dumbass

chris
April 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

andrew you arent a part of apple, you're just a douche

April 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM

what are you gonna do about it MF!!! like you are gonna make a difference... go ahead we still going to jailbreak it and have fun with it

@andrew
April 5, 2010 at 1:57 AM

I didn't know Apple recruited dyslectic people.

Mathew
April 5, 2010 at 7:05 AM

Andrew

You're lame. I seriously hope you are not a part of Apple. If so, they just dropped in my eyes significantly. Other then your poor spelling and grammer, your diction sucks. Like stated earlier, not everyone jailbreaks for free apps. I won't resort with the homo attacks and childish tactics as you initially did, I'll just say that you are obviously just a bitter sad little person.

Grow up man.

titanshooter
April 5, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I bought the wifi ipad, in conjunction with a jailbroken iphone using mywi, I'm able to use the iphone as a hotspot and therefore use the 3g I'm already paying for from AT&T - its pretty slick to have others think I somehow have a pre released 3G device when they see this unit in action :-)

Kieran
April 6, 2010 at 3:20 AM

I got an iPad and I want to jailbreak it solo bad. But is still beast without it.

Zdarton
April 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Wow y'all are some Internet thugs

scottyb
April 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Im using the iPad with a jailbroken iPhone and mywi. Works great.
I was going to sell my wifi model for a 3g model. Dont need to know and dont need to pay ATT twice. Sweet. Super easy.
get mywi for $9.99 from cydia. (no rock version) easy purchase over the iphone. Connected in less than 20 minutes.
Loving the ipad, cant wait to jailbreak it too.

April 7, 2010 at 8:43 AM

What's wrong with jail breaking????

andrew sucks
April 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM

someone who is a part of the apple corporation would misspell so many words and use such vulgar language.

April 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Having worked in a retail store my self, I got sacked for blogging on a totally not known website about something totally no important but because it was about apple it was time for dismissal. My Bad. Some how they tracked me on this site.

So even if you did work for Apple.... I Doubt you do now ;)

Also they wouldn't even allow you to work for them with such bad spelling.

Regards!!!!!!! Have a nice day!

Jim
April 7, 2010 at 1:03 PM

You work for Apple and you can't spell or form a proper sentence? The next time you're in a meeting at Apple, don't spell corporation...corperation, it will just make you look bad in front of Steve. LMAO!

Cris
April 12, 2010 at 12:40 PM

You are not from the Apple corporation because Apple employees don't make mistakes and they don't say gay or homosexual. Cris

Cris
April 12, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Sorry. I was thinking of something else while I was typing… how I was going to permanently block the ipad firmware from jailbreaking!!! hehehehehe

Cris
April 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I don't work in the applestore but I do usually visit. Also I'm 10yrs old so please keep the language kid-appropriate. I have an iPod touch!!

April 16, 2010 at 1:25 AM

"Grow Up, Get a life, and also get your facts right! How many people jailbreak iPhone for free games?"

More then you obviously know HoMo!!

April 16, 2010 at 1:27 AM

not a damn thing :)

iPad
April 16, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Just jailbreak it using iphone/ipod jailbreak software thats what I did and it was easy.

CYDIA ON iPAD!!!!!!!

Jail Break Fan
April 17, 2010 at 5:55 AM

It is inevitable that the Ipad will be Jailbroken and Unlocked in the Spirit of Freedom.

What would the world look like if:
We had to buy gas from Ford?
Or pay our Electric bills to Edison?

Jessie
April 17, 2010 at 8:15 AM

That makes no fucking sense. Those comparisons do not work here at all...

musicfreak
April 18, 2010 at 2:57 AM

says the blackra1n maker. that proves it

doreen
April 18, 2010 at 8:45 PM

hi, can u tell me how u jailbreaked ipad with iphone or ipod software, pls help

thanks

ipad ph
April 18, 2010 at 9:49 PM

@iPad... did it work? is it really jailbroken? why aren't sny blogs/forums regarding jailbroken ipads with blackra1n used? did u use blackra1n?

Mike
April 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I have no idea what he meant by that. Maybe he was being sarcastic.

flamer
April 20, 2010 at 5:47 PM

calling someone gay is not really an insult. I second Deno's view.. you monkeys should 'grow up, get a life, and also get your facts right'. The TRUTH is apple locks down it's mobile devices to protect it's revenue stream and that of AT&T's. Tether apps cost the carriers money, cost broadband/dsl/fios companies money. Why have DSL when you get 3G included with your phone and you don't download heavily? Another Truth: people jailbreak for reasons other than stealing. Why would you buy a car with the hood welded shut? I want to mod my car, or phone, or house.. without getting permission from anyone. Once I buy something it's MINE, I do whatever I want with it. Power to the People.

John
April 24, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Your analogy doesn't make sense. Ipads should be jailbroken because people don't want to pay prices for software.

What would the world look like if:

We could just take Ford cars off the lot?
Or could syphon electricity off someone?

Don't try to make it into a "Freedom" piece. You're free to buy or not to buy.

Some people will buy, some people will be more creative and get it at a discount.

the1
April 27, 2010 at 1:09 AM

flamer, your a wise man! =D

Michael
May 1, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I think he is making fun of apples over characteristic control of all of its "children" ipod ipad.... having to always turn to apple! like if ford made it so only ford gas would work... just like the app store apple says u can only get apps that they approve from them. : ) see

Michael
May 1, 2010 at 7:02 PM

your not GEOHOT...

Michael
May 2, 2010 at 12:53 PM

You are a duesche... a 10yo duesche and apple makes mistakes all the time... thats were JB comes from... also Alot of apple employees say gay or homosexual...

TIG
May 27, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Seriously, cody, freak nut. If your going to respond to this intelligently. Try to explain your reasons instead of sounding like immature girls. 'Dis iz da shit,' or 'if uz dun liek it ur gayz' serious, STFU if your not going to post a reply which is intelligent.

Im considering getting the Ipad for general research purposes into understanding a wide range of tech. Only issue, the price tag.