...Today is Christmas, and at this time of the year many people receive Apple iPhones as gifts. If you just got an iPhone, you will definitely want to jailbreak it. See our jailbreak post for more information on what jailbreaking is, and why you should do it and then follow the guide below.
In this post we will be using a free software called blackra1n to jailbreak your iPhone 3.1.2. Please note that jailbreaking voids our warranty, and we are not responsible for anything that happens to your iPhone as a result of following this tutorial.
Warning: If you have an iPhone 3GS it will be tethered, meaning you will need to connect your device to your computer and run blackra1n again every time you reboot (turn off and turn on) your iPhone.
Jailbreak iPhone, iPhone 3G, or iPhone 3GS
1. Download the free iPhone OS 3 toolbar (on Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari) and install it.
2. Click the Downloads button and click on the Download blackra1n RC3 link to download it.
3. Connect your iPhone to your computer and open the blackra1n application.
4. Click the make it ra1n button.
5. blackra1n will now put your iPhone in recovery mode and display the above image of Geohot. While in recovery mode, blackra1n will jailbreak your iPhone.
6. Once blackra1n is done jailbreaking, your iPhone will reboot and you should see the blackra1n icon on your iPhone screen.
7. Tap the blackra1n icon to open it. You have the option of installing either Cydia, Icy, or Rock. Select the applications you would like to install and then click the Install button to install them.
8. Once you've installed the applications, restart your iPhone. To do that, just hold down the top button until the Slide to power off message appears. Slide the button, and wait for your device to turn off. Turn on your device and you should now see the applications you selected on your iPhone.
Congratulations, you have successfully jailbroken your iPhone, give yourself a pat on the back! Now you have access to a lot more applications and modifications that you will never see in the App Store. We will be covering a lot of cool jailbreak apps in future posts, please subscribe to our newsletter if you found this tutorial helpful. If you liked this, feel free to pass on this information to people you know!