Home » » Jailbreak iPhone, Jailbreak iPhone 3G, Jailbreak iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2firmware

Jailbreak iPhone, Jailbreak iPhone 3G, Jailbreak iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2firmware

Written By Hans Berger on Friday, December 25, 2009 | 3:59 AM

Today is Christmas, and at this time of the year many people receive Apple iPhones as gifts. If you just got an iPhone, you will definitely want to jailbreak it. See our jailbreak post for more information on what jailbreaking is, and why you should do it and then follow the guide below.

In this post we will be using a free software called blackra1n to jailbreak your iPhone 3.1.2. Please note that jailbreaking voids our warranty, and we are not responsible for anything that happens to your iPhone as a result of following this tutorial.

Warning: If you have an iPhone 3GS it will be tethered, meaning you will need to connect your device to your computer and run blackra1n again every time you reboot (turn off and turn on) your iPhone.

Jailbreak iPhone, iPhone 3G, or iPhone 3GS

1. Download the free iPhone OS 3 toolbar (on Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari) and install it.

2. Click the Downloads button and click on the Download blackra1n RC3 link to download it.

3. Connect your iPhone to your computer and open the blackra1n application.
blackra1n make it ra1n

4. Click the make it ra1n button.
blackra1n recovery mode

5. blackra1n will now put your iPhone in recovery mode and display the above image of Geohot. While in recovery mode, blackra1n will jailbreak your iPhone.
blackra1n screen

6. Once blackra1n is done jailbreaking, your iPhone will reboot and you should see the blackra1n icon on your iPhone screen.
blackra1n iPhone app

7. Tap the blackra1n icon to open it. You have the option of installing either Cydia, Icy, or Rock. Select the applications you would like to install and then click the Install button to install them.
Slide to power of iPhone

8. Once you've installed the applications, restart your iPhone. To do that, just hold down the top button until the Slide to power off message appears. Slide the button, and wait for your device to turn off. Turn on your device and you should now see the applications you selected on your iPhone.

What now?

iPod touch succsessfully jailbroken

Congratulations, you have successfully jailbroken your iPhone, give yourself a pat on the back! Now you have access to a lot more applications and modifications that you will never see in the App Store. We will be covering a lot of cool jailbreak apps in future posts, please subscribe to our newsletter if you found this tutorial helpful. If you liked this, feel free to pass on this information to people you know!

December 26, 2009 at 7:29 AM

The best Installation ever worked purfect, thank you so much, you have Helped me 100% because i wat strugerling With it, but now its just fabb... Thank you. :D X

glenn
December 26, 2009 at 3:22 PM

help. did this and now i get recovery mode on my iphone and it shows me the usb and itunes sign when i turn my computer back on. i get it every time and so now i am stuck. help!

ashvin
December 26, 2009 at 6:29 PM

simple and clear!
thanx a lot

Ash Kulu
December 26, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Wonderful man.. userfriendly tool and the easiest that i have used so far..Will recommend this to all my friends..Kewl..

N3tGh0st
December 26, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Go through and run Blackra1n again and don't turn off your computer or phone. Just let the app do its thing.

Bruno
December 27, 2009 at 6:48 AM

After a few times it still stucks there... i cant turn off my phone away from my pc

dan
December 28, 2009 at 12:08 PM

why does it install a contact named "ike" ?

jash
December 29, 2009 at 2:08 AM

Wow... what a wonder! :D

Many many THANKS.

John
December 29, 2009 at 6:11 AM

Because your iPhone 3GS was made after November and Blackra1n can't perfectly jailbreak it.
Just use the PC, re-jailbreak it every time you shut-off your phone. Leave it and don't forget to charge it.

Ashton
December 29, 2009 at 7:48 AM

just be careful if youre running all this on a mac. its a little different but its all there

kevin
December 31, 2009 at 5:48 PM

used blackrain and now have a weak signal and dropped calls. apparently the software still has issues since no one has been able to explain how to fix or adjust this permanently.

Adam
January 1, 2010 at 2:51 AM

Spent hours trying to find the right app the right files. In the end it was just headache after headache. I found this on quickpwn.com gave it a try easiest thing in the world. Save yourself trouble and time just follow the directions!! You will thank the heavens!

Fero
January 3, 2010 at 6:57 AM

Does it work für iphone 1G?!
Thanks!

Fero
January 3, 2010 at 9:10 AM

It is the best Software ever :-))))) MANY THANKS!!!!!!

princesg
January 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I'm stuck. I was able to jailbreak the phone and i see the app but when i open it to download cydia,,,all it states connection error. What am i doing wrong?

princesg
January 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM

When I open the blackra1n app the cydia isnt there but the option to uninstall. What have I done wrong? It say please check your internet conection

Mo
January 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Help please, I went through the installation guide until the point where the iphone is supposed to restart, well mine didnt, it just shut off. I turned it back on and it wont go past the apple icon, it gets stuck on the apple icon a couple seconds and turns off, plz help

tom
January 3, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Same thing with mine it wont load

michelle ortiz
January 4, 2010 at 4:50 AM

how to free open line how to do

Red
January 5, 2010 at 5:33 AM

I liked this app for half an hour then I realized that I will not be able to completely turn off my iPod. bah! so now I'm in the excruciating process of restoring it. :(

kevin
January 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM

im just pissed i cant get signal with the program installed. everything worked fine untill i couldnt make calls and if i did they were dropped momentarily.

duece
January 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM

can you jail break 2.2.1 with this?

Cezar
January 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM

This tethered jailbreak with blackrain is very exciting, easy and fast on one hand, but on the other hand it leaves you with no phone for the whole day, if you do not have a computer to run the blackrain. I have to say that my 3GS rebooted by itself once per 3 days, so I could never know when it will catch me the next time. I was going to work with iphone USB cable :) Funny ...
And one more thing, jailbreaking is releases your phone! After the jailbreak and some tweaking, it became twice exciting than it was before, every one was shocked from the features and things it could do after the jailbreak.
Unfortunetly I decided to restore to the apple default, since at the bottom line it is a phone and it has to be reliable when I need to make a call.
What I want to say, is that after restoring I am suffering twice :) Since I have experienced the released iPhone, and now stuck with the "jailed" one! Hopefully the permanent jailbreak will be released soon!!!
So think again, whould you like to go to work with the USB cable, or you will revert back like me, `cause reverting back is awfull :) :) :)

kevin
January 7, 2010 at 4:41 PM

i also restored my phone after the jailbreak, to be honest im pretty damn aggrevated i cant run the jailbreak and still be able to have full signal strength and make calls. why cant they both just get along.

Nard
January 9, 2010 at 4:05 AM

Fuckin Awesome.....Best Download Ever...Soo Simple...Thnx Alot

jaci
January 15, 2010 at 1:04 PM

too easy!! Thanks heaps!!
can anyone suggest some good apps??

January 16, 2010 at 1:40 AM

I just jailbroke my iphone its working great but for some reason my wifi no longer works. the wifi no longer sees networks. it will not join networks even if i try

RIFKI
January 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM

you just have to find a wi-fi

Steve
January 18, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Crashes for me on Win 7 64 bit. Is it just me?

rjaw
January 20, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Yep for now you are just the only one.
works great for me, til now!

Jayy
January 21, 2010 at 8:58 AM

i'm scared to death to jailbreak my iPhone, everyone has told me that if you mess up on jailbreaking it then it will shut your phone down.. is that true?

Ty
January 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM

yeah it's possible, but this is definatly the easiest way to jailbreak it. I did mine yesterday, and I was scared to also. But it's so badass, trust me bro, it's foolproof. haha

nono
January 22, 2010 at 1:52 AM

not true, if it crashes or anything, restaure it and all gone to normal again

nono
January 22, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Not working for me...this is my 3rd Iphone... 1st time it's not working...
The jailbreak works (RC3), but once i install Cydia, i see no cydia icon...
I did it again, then cydia icon was there, but impossible to open cydia, it would close immediately after i click on the Cydia logo...
I have firm 3.2.1
Iphone 3G
Itunes 9.0.2.25
Any ideas?
Thanks

jer
January 24, 2010 at 2:58 PM

You are my hero!!! in-*******-credible

Peckle
January 24, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I have an iPhone 2G, 1.1.4 which I jailbreaked 2 years ago. I'm sick of the Installer and I want to use App store, so I decided to update my iPhone. However, I heard that If I update it from iTunes, I won't be able to use my iPhone anymore. So, will this jailbreak thing work for me? (Please answer me, I will update it from iTunes than follow the steps in this tutorial. Will it work?) Thanks ...

New User
January 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM

I had my old iphone 2G sitting around so i decided to unlock and jailbreak it, which worked great for me. I did the most stupid thing and upgraded to 3.1.2 via itunes which bricked my phone but i found a way to unbrick it and then jailbroke it but i am unable to unlock it. every time i put a TMobile sim card, it asks me to connect to itunes. Does anyone know who to get my phone to unlock again?

Simon
January 26, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Hi just go into general reset then press reset network settings then turn your iphone off then on =)

Anonymous
January 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Every time I use blackra1n on my iPhone 3G it installs itself and allows me to download rock but not cydia. Is this something to do with my phone or with blackra1n and can I fix it?

Missgreen
January 26, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Hi,
I have the same problem with my iPhone. Cydia is gone! Did you solve it? If yes, please, tell me the walkthrough.
I jailbroken and restarted it many times and nothing happened.
Please, helpl!
Thanks.

Abeee
January 28, 2010 at 6:30 AM

Ok i've done up to step 6. However, when i click the blackra1n icon on my phone under 'please select package(s)' it says 'Please check your internet connection. (Err...

That's it. No cydia or icy or whatever. There is nothing wrong with my internet cinnection at all. Can anyone help?

gyuki
January 29, 2010 at 2:54 AM

Hi Guys,
I have done all the steps several times, but my iphone always boot to the recovery mode after applying the steps bellow.
Have you any idea how to fix this?

yassky
January 29, 2010 at 3:59 AM

gyuki.. i have the same problem,,, this is such a funny jailbreak,,, not proffessional like the redsnow,, it was much accurate...
i am still stuck with an unusable 3gs .. no jailbeak no unlock,, it just sucks..

jimd
January 29, 2010 at 2:25 PM

can this procedure be used if I want to restore my 2G iPhone and update to 3.1.2; re-unlock/jailbreak? I’ve been running my unlocked iPhone on 1.1.1 for two years now (used anySim to jailbreak/unlock) and would really like to update it.

dan da man
January 30, 2010 at 2:57 AM

this was so freaking easy i couldn't believe it

krystal
January 31, 2010 at 12:38 AM

i have the same problem, can anybody please help

January 31, 2010 at 12:47 PM

ok but u have to jailbreak it again when u turned ur fone off!!!

Derrick
February 3, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I have a Iphone 3g version 3.1.2 (7D11) modem Firmware 5.11.07 I have ran Blackra1n six times and nothing happens phone reboots, no new applications were created please help

Milo
February 7, 2010 at 4:35 AM

This is the third time i've used this hack and it works so well it's scary. But this time, I forgot to install cydia or icy before I uninstalled the BlackRain package. When I run BlackRain again to get the option to install cydia , I get the 'let it rain' and the phone restarts but blackRain icon doesn't show. My phone though is still jailbroken and unlocked. Can I put cydia on somehow without doing a restart?

cbag12
February 19, 2010 at 6:59 AM

having trouble plz help!!!!downloaded and clicked rain on button then when finnished restarted phone but nothing happened

ally
February 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM

on step three, where it says to open the blackra1n app, where is it? probably a dumb question but i cant find it.

Peckle
February 23, 2010 at 1:32 AM

I have an iPhone 2G, 1.1.4 which I jailbreaked 2 years ago. I’m sick of the Installer and I want to use App store, so I decided to update my iPhone. However, I heard that If I update it from iTunes, I won’t be able to use my iPhone anymore. So, will this jailbreak thing work for me? (Please answer me, I will update it from iTunes than follow the steps in this tutorial. Will it work?) Thanks …

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER PLEASE!!?

ally
February 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM

i jailbroke it fine, and it just says "done, wait for reboot"
am i just being impatient? been sittin here for 20 min it wont reboot :/ can anyone help?

February 25, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Same thing no blackrain app please help....fazeL

February 25, 2010 at 7:26 AM

I did the unlocking jailbroken the fone but no
blackrain app..any help...but still works awesome
pity bout the wifi

Willy Ftb
February 26, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Can u jailbreak iPhone 3gs? Can u turn it off when jailbroken?

stefan
February 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM

same here....
Please help.....

joe
March 10, 2010 at 11:36 AM

do it again, or do it on a intel leopard mac..

di
March 15, 2010 at 2:31 AM

ALL OF THE FIXES AND RESETTING NETWORK SETTINGS, ERASING SETTINGS AND DATA, DO NOT WORK
I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND IT STILL SHOWS NO WIFI JUST GREAY AND CAN'T ACCESS IT.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADD THE LINK FOR THE DOWNLOADS NEEDED AND DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS AS I HAVE SPENT 4 HOURS GOING AROUND IN CIRCLES ON THE NET WITH NO DIFFERENCE TO MY IPHONE 3G

PLEASE HELP AS APPLE JUST WANT TO MAKE MONEY OUT OF EVERYONE AND CHARGE TO FIX IT AND THAT' SIF IT WILL ACTUALLY BE FIXED IF THEY DO IT.
THIS IS THE 2ND IPHONE I HAVE HAD THE IST ONE WAS A LEMON AND THIS ONE IS NO BETTER.
APPLE HAVE LOTS OF WORK TO DO ON TESTING THEIR PRODUCTS BEFORE THEY SELL THEM AT SUCH A HIGH PRICE WHEN THEY DON'T WORK
ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED THANKS DI

ahmed
March 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM

After step 4 my phone dosent display any pictures its just a balck screen and it dosent reboot!
Any help?
Please?!

Belle
April 2, 2010 at 1:56 PM

When i go to open the blackra1n file after download, its says the file failed to start because ASL.dll was not found.. The 'make it ra1n' button still appears but when i click it, it says 'blackra1n.exe has stopped working'... Any idea on how to make it work??

peach
April 11, 2010 at 2:46 AM

evnetually got this to work- had to follow links through to blackbreeze (thank you) as i was receiving mulitple errors re dll & icuin not being read.
super quick once working cheers :)

Anonymous
April 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I updated from itunes, it works normal, it isn't a big deal, but i want to jailbreak, i install and it's not working, i don't know how...

Anonymous
April 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM

me too :(

Ajay
May 10, 2010 at 3:12 AM

i jailbroke it finally.and thank to this website which helped me a lot
thnx a lot

January 7, 2014 at 3:47 AM

@New User

To unlock an iPhone the remote unlock service would be a better option because, you need not give your mobile to someone else nor do you have any chance to enter the wrong unlock codes. To get such an unlocking service for your iPhone 2G (iPhone) approach Superunlockcodes.com and by submitting the country and network to which the mobile is locked to you will be able to remove the restriction from the respective network. This will be a permanent unlocking solution.