Home » » BlackBerry outage: BBM, E-mail, and Internet down

BlackBerry outage: BBM, E-mail, and Internet down

Written By Unknown on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 | 2:21 PM

BlackBerry outage

Today is a bad day for  both Research In Motion (RIM) and BlackBerry users. BlackBerry users around the world are reporting that BlackBerry Messenger (BBM),  e-mail, and Internet are all down and have been down for many hours. This is not the first time this has happened., it happened last week on December 17 as well. None of the carriers are responsible for this outage, RIM is.

A spokesperson from RIM says that they are working on fixing this problem, but there is no estimate as to when it will get fixed. BlackBerry users are getting really frustrated and venting their thoughts on social networking sites.

Is BlackBerry down for you? What is working, and what is not working? Share any thoughts you have about this in the comments!

Scott
December 22, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Oh, I look at it as a break from being connected. As much as I like and am addicted to my BlackBerry, the break is nice and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.....except for RIM of course.

lala
December 22, 2009 at 2:35 PM

yeah its been down for hours, cant live without my bbm!!

Fifty-Two-Eighty
December 22, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I've been down for almost six hours now. Curiously, though, while I have no Internet service using the BlackBerry browser, the MediaNet browser is working just fine. In fact, this comment was posted from my BlackBerry.

Fran Hayes
December 22, 2009 at 3:04 PM

I have only received a couple of emails on my BB in the past week. Outage began for me last Tuesday, Dec 17. Thought it was my handset. AT&T store employee consulted IT yesterday (Monday) and they said I needed a new SIM card. That didn't work. It was only when I got home to my laptop that I searched and discovered the outage. I don't remember having any email problems earlier in the year.

cj
December 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM

please dont yell at your providers reps its not our fault :( were goin through same thing..even president obama has a blackberry!

December 22, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Pandora works, and so did the apps for Kayak, TripCase and Worldmate until I uninstalled them thinking that they were the problem. I had installed them all, last night, which was the last time I had used the BB internet services. I wish I'd bothered to turn on the laptop to search for outage reports. Now, I'll have to reinstall these apps.

I never had problems like this with my Windows CE mobile devices or with my Palm devices. I switched to BB because I thought it would be better for mobile email, since in my business I live in email, but now I am rethinking this. I am big on GTD, so I have a well thought out process of dealing with all aspects of work. It depends upon immediate access to email. My Xmas gift to myself may be a new Windows CE smart phone.

Scott
December 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Peyton, give your BlackBerry more time. RIM has not had these outages often at all. I've been using a BB for 6 years now and I think this is the third outage. I've used every device known and if you want the best for email, you've got it. If this becomes more regular, then you can rethink this but I wouldn't be ready just yet to jump ship.

Roxxanne
December 22, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Phone and texting are all that are working for the last 3 hours (I am on PST) All apps are down, browser, bbm and most important Ubertwtter!!

girllll
December 22, 2009 at 4:20 PM

my boyfriend and I bbm each other. right when i left him i almost got in a car accident so i had typed "wow i almost just got hit" (enter) "good"... on his end, he said "i love you" and only got the response "good"... RIM sucks butt

Nelson
December 22, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Yes, it is still down, and the original reports made it seem like this was not a big thing. Now, it's worldwide. So sad, we have no recourse for their mistakes.

December 22, 2009 at 5:23 PM

THIS IS BS!!! MY INTERENT,TEXT,BBM,AIM,UBERTWITTER IS ALL DOWN!!!!
MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!

SaddidyDre
December 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM

MY BBM JUST CAME BACK UP !!!!

rhona
December 22, 2009 at 11:55 PM

lost my daughter in Manhattan yesterday....... counted on the service working and for the second time in a week, a let down. sending bbm's and thinking she was being irresponsible..... well - it wasn't her who let me down!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick
December 23, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Question for everyone: For the problem related to browsing, how specifically is that problem showing up? For me, I can get to the "first level" (home page, etc.) on a site using my Go To function but then, when I click on links on the page that comes up, I get nothing. Is this what others see as well?

tawny
December 23, 2009 at 4:56 AM

bbm has been down here in bc for 24 hours. This is ridiculous!

December 23, 2009 at 5:05 AM

Internet has been down since last night. Worked for a few minutes this morning, but then down again. This is getting annoying, shouldn't we be credited with the time it wasn't working?