Home » » Windows 7 for $29

Windows 7 for $29

Written By Hans Berger on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 | 1:35 PM

Windows 7 for $29
Microsoft is officially releasing Windows 7 tomorrow, and I'm sure there are people here that are planning on buying it. If you're a college student and have a .EDU e-mail address then you are in luck! Microsoft is holding a promotion where you can get Windows 7 for only $29.99. You can chooser between the following Windows 7  editions:

• Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit/64-bit)

• Windows 7 Professional (32-bit/64-bit)

Don't know which one to choose? Let me make it easy for you. Windows 7 Home Premium provides a great media experience and is intended for home use, while Windows 7 Professional edition is intended for Office use and has additional features like Windows XP Mode and Domain Join. If your university requires you to Domain Join, then you must get the Windows 7 Professional edition.

If you qualify to purchase Windows 7 for $29.99, you can purchase it from Win741.com.

October 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Hmmm... Didn't apple offer it's new operating system for the same price WITHOUT a student discount?!

Joe
October 21, 2009 at 3:34 PM

@Allen isn't it only $30 if your upgrading from leopard to snow leopard? I think people upgrading from tiger have to pay over $100. Don't know the exact amount but I think it was like $130 for the snow leopard box set

BogartOfElCajon
October 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM

@Allen, I'm not taking side between Apple or MS, but reading your post is like reading a monkeys opinion. So what, if your NEW Snow Leopard is $30 only. DO you expect this MS people to follow what Apple did? Your 10.6 OS should not even be called NEW, its a damn SERVICE PACK! You just bend over whatever Steve Jobs sells you. Grab banana or something.

almyz125
October 21, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Hmmmm if I rember right the last time I upgraded Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.4 it was free : -p

thirupathi
October 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM

hello
sir ihave windows vista supporrted laptop but iwant change to windows 7 this is possible not possible please reply me

Makiitnes
October 22, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Thirupathi...It is possible to upgrade a few different ways...if u r a student & are registered w/ @ least .5 credits & have a school email address that ends in .edu, u can upgrade & download for only $29. That is what I did & it worked. I had vista home premium & now have windows 7 premium. If u r not a student then ur laptop may be eligable for a free upgrade. If u bought it after June 26th 2009 & had vista pre-installed u can upgrade for free. If u bought it before then u would have to purchase. 1st thing to do is download windows advisor to check the compatability & go from there. Check this website for the download or go to windows 7 website. Good luck!

DarkkMan
October 22, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Joe,

The Box Set was Snow Leopard along with iLife and iWorks for $130. You could pick up the FULL Install version of OS/X 10.6 for $29 at ANY Apple Store. I know, because I did it before I even owned my MacBook Pro in order to make my Hackintosh legit and legal.

Windows 7 isn't bundled with MS Works and a bunch of other useful apps and utils for doing everyday things, so you really can't compare things the way you are trying to. An OS plus a bunch of useful apps cannot be compared to a plain OS sale. Would you compare XP with Office 2007 Home and Student to Vista SP1 or Windows 7 without any additional software just because that puts the price into the same range? I don't think you would, so wy would you use that same logic on the MAc OS platform?

I am a PC guy (work in IT) and have been for >20 years. I also now own a 15" MacBook Pro and a 17" PC Laptop with a Core2Duo T7300 processor 4G RAM, 500G HDD running Windows Vista x64, XP SP4 and now Windows 7. For a little while the Widnows 7 partition was a Mac OSX partition running Leopard 10.5.4 in a Hackintosh configuration.

DarkkMan

maan_27
October 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Windows 7 minimum reqs are as follows:
- Processor atlest 1.5 GHZ
- RAM atlest 1GB
- HDD atlest 10-15GB for OS installation
- Grafix RAM atlest 256 MB

If your laptop/PC meets these reqs....you can easily go ahead!
And i would personally recommend all vista user to switch over to windows7 BECAUSE VISTA WAS A FAIL!
I still use XP & will switch as soon as its available in Dubai.

Jeff
October 25, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Yes!! They did.. and joe your wrong!! i am a mac, and they offered mac os x snow leopard for $29 for anyone, and $9 for anyone that bought a new mac within a couple months before snow leopard was released.

Smirch Heliac
November 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM

You purchased OSX so your hackintosh would be "legit" can you even read, Apples EULA states it is illegal to install it on any "hardware" that is not theirs. That is how they are able to legal put it out there without serials and still get people who are nubs like you muahaha

secretxax
February 18, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Just get the Windows 7 disc. Then during installation, choose "Upgrade" or "Fresh install". If your laptop or desktop can run Vista, then it can definately run 7! Win7 is MUCH faster than Vista.

Devilz Reign
March 24, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I followed the link to get the Windows 7, and it said for $64. Is this legitimate and is this to order an actual disk? I couldn't find the one for $29, but I am a student and would like to upgrade my laptop I use for school.

thanks to any1 that can help me