The iPhone 3.1.2 update that Apple released last week required users of jailbroken iPhones or iPod Touches to wait for a new jailbreak software to be released before updating. There was no jailbreak available until Geohot released his new blackra1n 1 click jailbreak software. The blackra1n software is available for both Windows and Mac users, but it only supports iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch. blackra1n does not support the iPod Touch 3rd generation 8 GB models that have a MC in the model number. Many iPhone 3G users reported having a problem with blackra1n on iPhone 3G, if you were one of them please leave a comment telling us what problems you encountered and how you solved them. I will be making a blackra1n troubleshooting guide to help users that have any problem with it. You can jailbreak iPhone 3.1.2 with blackra1n, but you cannot unlock iPhone 3.1.2. To unlock iPhone 3.1.2, you must use PwnageTool 3.1.4 which the Dev-Team recently released.
If you want to just jailbreak iPhone 3.1.2 I recommend you use blackra1n, but if you want to unlock then you have no choice but to use PwnageTool which only works with Mac. If you haven't already downloaded iPhone 3.1.2 or updated, the download links for it are below.
- iPhone 3.1.2 download (iPhone1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw, 241 MB)
- iPhone 3G 3.1.2 download (iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw, 242 MB)
- iPhone 3GS 3.1 download (iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw, 306 MB)
Note: Do no't use Safari to download iPhone 3.1.2 IPSW files, instead use another browser. Safari downloads this as a .ZIP and iTunes is not able to recognize the firmware that way.
Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.2 with blackra1n
1. Download blackra1n
2. Click the make it ra1n button.
3. Your iPhone or iPod Touch will reboot once blackra1n is done doing it's thing and you should see the blackra1n icon on there. If you don't see the blackra1n icon, go to the last page on your iDevice and you should see it.
4. Install your preferred aplication from the blackra1n app. You have the option of choosing Cydia, Icy, or Rock. I don't recommend you to install them all at once, because that may cause problems. Install them one at a time.
Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.2 with PwnageTool
1. Download PwnageTool 3.1.4 (only works with Mac!)
2. You will be creating a custom IPSW and then restoring it through iTunes. If you don't know how to do that, read my jailbreak iPhone 3.1 with PwnageTool post which gives step by step instructions.