Home » » Google down, Gmail down, and Adsense down

Google down, Gmail down, and Adsense down

Written By Unknown on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 | 12:48 PM

As of this posting, Google is down, Gmail is down, and Adsense is down. Thankfully YouTube, and Blogger are still up. I'm wondering what happened. Did someone hack in to Google.com? It is unlikely for Google to ever go down. Every second they are losing a lot of revenue, and making many people disappointed with their services. A lot of my online activity involves Google, but now that it's down I  actually have to get up and do something else.

If you want to search, I recommend you use Bing. Go to http://www.bing.com and search! Hopefully Google comes back up soon.

Update: Google was only down for Comcast users, but it's back up now.

Update #2: Google and Gmail services are still down for RCN users.

Update#3: Are you on RCN and still having these issues? Follow the guide below to learn how to fix it. Credit goes to Ben Stewart for this solution!

1. Open your Control Panel.

2. Click on the Network and Sharing Center icon.

3. Find the name of the network you're connected to, and then click on View status.

4. In the Networking tab click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties on the bottom-right corner.

5. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses:" and enter in the following:

• Preferred DNS server: 207.172.3.16

• Alternate DNS server: 208.59.89.21

6. Click OK. Open your web browser, and Google/Gmail and other Google services should now be working. If this doesn't work then call 800-RING-RCN and get help from RCN Tech Support.

GreezyG
October 20, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Uh, my gmail is working as I type. 8:52pm central time.

Brad
October 20, 2009 at 1:15 PM

not mine. can't get to a login screen. tried 4 different computers with three different ISPs. the people i know that can get into gmail are automatically logged in, however i have yet to hear from anyone that can access the login screen. also, don't log off to test this. earlier, when we thought we were having internal network issues, people who were already logged in (using what we thought were unaffected servers) logged off to let others use their computers. alas, no one could access a login screen and now they too are shut out. this began around 10am central and has yet to let up. mobile e-mail and outlook seem to be working fine.

Hans
October 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Open Command Prompt and enter in ipconfig /flushdns. Let me know if that works for you.

Patrick
October 20, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Ya, Google is "loosing" revenue. I tried to use Google a little while ago and it was down then.

Jorge
October 20, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I am on RCN and still can't get to gmail.

Hans
October 20, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Fixed! :D

Brad
October 20, 2009 at 1:32 PM

"Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cashe"

Alas, "The server at www.google.com is taking too long to respond."

i appreciate the help nonetheless

Brad
October 20, 2009 at 1:33 PM

i'm on RCN right now as well and no gmail for me. tried earlier on comcast and at&t and got the same results

Patrick
October 20, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Thank you. Very timely post.

Gabriel
October 20, 2009 at 2:04 PM

i have been trying all day to get onto gmail and cannot. suck. it is apparent now that i need to have some sort of backup email everything gets forwarded to. hey google, fix your shit!

October 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM

hi, I'm from Brazil...

On last morning Google change the IPs in DNS... and it take some time to refresh in DNS Servers...

Now, I'm reading the QuickPWN's mail from my Gmail Account... and Google is working normal here...

Bye

jct
October 20, 2009 at 2:39 PM

my gmail is still not working. chicago, 10:39 central time.

jct
October 20, 2009 at 3:21 PM

it says: the requested operation requires elevation. what does that mean?

Hans
October 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Right-click command prompt and select Run as Administrator.

jct
October 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM

thank you! it didn't bring gmail back, though, guess i'll have to wait til tomorrow to read my email!

Ismail
October 20, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Hi jct,

I'm having the same problem in Chicago for some 5-6 hours and I'm using RCN. Yahoo mail and hotmail are working fine now, this gmail makes me crazy..

Roma
October 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Yeah... the same problem - Chicago, using RCN...

Josh
October 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Almost midnight here in Chicago on an RCN connection. Still no gmail. Makes you realize you can't completely rely on someone even as big as Google to handle your *important* communication needs.
But what else can you really do to access data inside your gmail account?

tzigi
October 20, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Ya, the RCN DNS servers are messed up in Chicago - I called the RCN support and they said they new about the problem and working on it (it was like 4 hours ago and I still cannot access the gmail now). I suggest to call them - talk to the tech support and complain - it might speed up things (I am not sure what takes so long update of 4 ips addresses in a database on the DNS server takes well with a coffee and a donut max 10 min. I guess they have to find somebody in India who can do it write one-line SQL statement (the only people working for RCN I dealt with were Indians) and then a translator.....
TOM

benpstewart
October 20, 2009 at 4:04 PM

The QuickPWN admin says he's going to post this solution from my Twitter on here shortly - but for now (and for this thread), this is the solution RCN tech support gave me:

It seems like a DNS problem of some sort on their end, probably with some of their servers, since they're hardwiring people into other servers. I heard a report that someone else got different manual DNS server IPs, so who knows. Anyway, I hope they fix this so I can go back to automatic DNS, but for now... hey, I have email again!

(FYI, I am a RCN user in Chicago)

BetaBuster
October 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM

It may be a peering link down. All of the big ISP's have peering with Google. Saves $$$ on bandwidth, and makes it faster.

RCN-Blows
October 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Changing the settings worked for me. I can't stand RCN. It's one thing after another with them.

Ganesh
October 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I too am on RCN and it has not worked since yesterday 8/20 5 p.m. I am trying the DNS settings change now.

Ganesh
October 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM

The fix works like a charm. Thanks.

October 20, 2009 at 11:19 PM

As of 7:18 AM central time Google and all of its aps are still down for RCN users, at least here in Chicago. Am now also having some trouble accessing my WordPress platform.

Hoo Mi
October 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM

While you're at it replace one of RCN's servers with one from OpenDND for redundancy:
208.67.222.222 or
208.67.220.220

pooch
October 21, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Call RCN and they will walk you through how to connect to a different DNS by changing the IP address. It worked.

October 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM

i was on google all day today and yesterday and it hasnt been down.

Hans
October 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM

It was down for only Comcast/RCN users for a certain period of time. :)