Home » » Bar Code: The logo you see on Google today

Bar Code: The logo you see on Google today

Written By Hans Berger on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 | 6:28 AM

Bar Code on Google homepage

The logo you see on Google today is a bar code! The homepage of Google in USA and many other countries have this logo. Why did they do this? On this day in 1952 the first patent for the bar code was issued. Google wanted to recognize this so they replaced their whole logo with the bar code.

iPhone users can try decoding the Google logo by downloading a bar code scanner iPhone application (I believe there is one called Cardify). Android users can use the Barcode Scanner application to decode the logo. I went to DataSymbol.com, and used it to decode the bar code logo online. Of course, it was decoded as "Google"! For you geeks out there, the Bar code uses Code 128 encoding.

The Google homepage of many other Google homepages also has the bar code logo! Below is a list of Google homepages that have this logo, and their translation for the word "bar code". Have a scan-tastic day everyone!

October 7, 2009 at 6:34 AM

VIDEO Google barcode actually scans!!!

Ron
October 7, 2009 at 8:59 AM

3.1 3gs jailbreak for windows anytime soon?? Lol sorry im impatient

Dan
October 7, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Hahaha, funny Ron! I'm with you... I'm not checking this website everyday to see what Googles picture of the day is.
I'm not pushing, I'm just checking. I appreciate the Dev team's genious and hope to have somethingsoon for my 3gs too.

Dave
October 7, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I'm with you Ron in wondering as well... just got my 3GS iPhone today. I suspect this is the answer, it'll be ready when its ready.

Larry
October 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM

your not the only one bro.lol

October 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I was amazed after hearing that the barcode logo actually scans

Madmaxpro
October 7, 2009 at 9:43 PM

This is the not news a 3.1 3gs jailbreak entry would be great! Anyone?

Ron
October 7, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Really come on. I dont want to know about barcodes. A jailbreak is needed right now for us redsnow users!!

January 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM