Home » » Sprint's HTC Hero vs Original HTC Hero

Sprint's HTC Hero vs Original HTC Hero

Written By Hans Berger on Thursday, September 3, 2009 | 6:35 AM

Today Sprint released a press release confirming that the Sprint HTC Hero will be available to order on October 11 for $179.99 (after rebates). What took a lot of HTC Hero fans by surprise is that Sprint has changed the design of their HTC Hero. Below is a picture which shows how Sprint's HTC Hero looks and how the original HTC Hero looks.

Sprint HTC Hero vs Original HTC Hero

HTC Hero vs Sprint

The hardware and the software of both HTC Hero's are the same. Both have the HTC Hero Sense UI, and same specs. If you were planning on getting the HTC Hero, will the new design change your mind?

September 3, 2009 at 6:54 AM

I liked the original design better. :P

nozz
September 3, 2009 at 7:46 AM

The Sprint design is kinda ugly.. Better get the original one.

almyz125
September 3, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I like the sprint design although i think they kinda stole it from the magic and my touch 3g, but i guess thats why i like it more than the original hero design, i like the look of the htc magic and the sprint design looks very similar. in the end i will have to stick with my my touch though because i will never go over to a cdma carrier, any word on what type of network the original design will be for, hopefully a gsm carrier?

Disorderlydj
September 4, 2009 at 2:50 AM

The new design is awful. Half of getting the hero was the hardware design for me. I could live
with a different design, but I just don't know
about the brushed metal. Maybe if it had
a Blackberry Storm black button layout it
would be a thousand times better.

I have sprint and I was holding out for this
phone from switching service or getting an
Iphone. I might just get an iPhone and buy the original Hero when it gets a little cheaper.

Paul
September 4, 2009 at 10:26 AM

I actually like the design. I liked the original, but I think this looks more refined, less blocky, more thought out. how can you say they "stole" the design both the my touch and hero are HTC, they just styled it similar. I like it and it comes out the same month that I'm eligable to upgrade. Woo-hoo.

Mindy
September 4, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Does anyone know if the htc hero is the same size as the mytouch for tmobile? because you can have ultimate customization on shells for the mytouch and I am hoping they are the same layout and such so I can order a customized shell! I don't want to switch to tmobile!

ipwtech
September 4, 2009 at 4:55 PM

The new design looks horrible. First it comes out on Sprint and now the design has changed. I could care less about the software. Software can be modified and ported over to other phones, but the design of the original Hero is what I wanted. Now I am not so sure if all the waiting I did for the Hero was worth it… Thanks for nothing Sprint. I might as well just go buy a G1.

firebladekid
September 6, 2009 at 6:18 AM

Why the hell did they mess up with the h/w design? I finally thought there was a phone that looked like a mans peice. It was Jay Leno if the phones....it was different and pleasing which is a tough combination to find these days. I was gonna switch to sprint for the phone...but not any more. I`ll buy the original one.

Mike Hawke
September 6, 2009 at 1:13 PM

WTF people ? The original design was ugly as HELL !! The new Sprint version is 1,000,000,000,000 times sexier !!!

Lannie
September 7, 2009 at 2:33 PM

If purchase the original HTC hero will I be able to use it with Sprint? I don't like the Sprint design.

September 7, 2009 at 10:59 PM

@ Lannie,

No, the original Hero uses the GSM network, whereas Sprint's new phone (and all of their phones) use the CDMA network. The two are incompatible with eachother. I personally hated the redesign at first, but it has grown on me. I just think that they both look good, and I just happen to be getting the Sprint one because I have Sprint (I considered switching, but Sprint's plans are absolutely the best deal around, and their 3g coverage is awesome). I will be staying with them now...

Lannie
September 8, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Thanks OlyLifter. I will wait to see and play with the phone at the store before I make a decision. Hopefully, it will grow on me. I love the android system just not the design. Thanks again for the info, take care.

jon
September 10, 2009 at 7:04 PM

I was gonna get it, until I saw that ugly thing sprint made.
lol why would they kill that really nice look and completely remodel it?
ahh.. sprint fails.

ziggy
September 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM

If the sprint is anything like the magic then it will feel cheap and nasty, I had it before my hero and did not like the look of the chin, but it fits nicely in the hand, stops the screen from touching the desk etc and it does grow on you as its different from all the other clones out there....

if the os is the same and has been updated then you are in for a treat, my 3gs went straight to ebay after a week on the hero, so much better ui, better integration, better customisation (none on the iphone apart from move a couple of icons around).

Love the Hero, I was looking at the samsung i7500 but even with the amoled screen it was lacking a few esenntials, a track ball (works great in games) no search button and a finger print magnet.

Its so nice to have a phone that stands out from the iphone fashion victims (used to be one), the hero is way more usable and enhances your daily life.

Randy
September 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I felt like crying the morning I saw the Hero was going to be sold by Sprint and I found out it wasn't the Hero at all.

I woke up early and on my iPod I read the news about it. Went back to sleep with a smile on my face. The smile turned to a frown after I found out that day that it wasn't the Hero I had liked. A different one. The original is Star Wars compatible and just looked super to me. I'm killing my two Sprint phones and going back to using Verizon. I'll wait for a smart phone thank you very much. Somebody will come out with a phone that doesn't look like a phone one of these days and I'll get a couple or three. This new Hero? Not on your life.

Randy
September 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I didn't wait. I was so upset about this that I just went over to the AT&T store and bought 3 iPhones for the family. I just felt like it was no use waiting for somebody to come out with smart phones that would compare favorably with the iPhone. Now I will kill the two Sprint phones and the two Verizon phones. I'll go back in two years if either starts selling phones that are attractive. For now, I'm happy. Now I could import a Euro Hero and add a fourth phone to the family plan..... But I won't.....

Randy
September 16, 2009 at 8:21 AM

September 13, 2009 at 10:22 pm

I felt like crying the morning I saw the Hero was going to be sold by Sprint and I found out it wasn’t the Hero at all.

I woke up early and read the news about it on my iPod Touch. Went back to sleep with a smile on my face. The smile turned to a frown after I found out that day that it wasn’t the Hero I had liked. A different one. The original is future SF compatible and just looked super to me. I’m stopping my two Sprint phones and going back to using Verizon. I’ll wait for a smart phone thank you very much. Somebody will come out with a phone that doesn’t look like a phone one of these days and I’ll get a couple or three. This new Hero? Not on your life.

neil
September 27, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I like the sleekness and roundness of the new design. although ive never used the chin version and heard many good things, im thinking that would bother me while its in my jean pocket...plus, if you dont want to feel the chin pushing into your leg you have to turn it around leaving that big screen open to bumps...well, these are the things i thought about when seeing the 2...practicality vs looks. but i still like sprints version too..

Laura
September 30, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I wish someone would actually read these damn comments and realize the ORIGINAL look was wayy better. I was so damn excited to get the hero! FINALLY sprint was getting a sweet phone... but now I don't know... this sucks balls...and i've never been a phone person... I've always had a modest phone...

Daniel
October 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Yo you guys that are saying the original hero looks better than the Sprint version are crazy. First of all, think about how uncomfortable it will be holding that block you call a phone in your hand while your toying around with it. Second of all the new version that Sprint made looks more compact and fits into the hands of anybody. And Lastly, I love how the buttons surround the trackball because it gives it a better look and is the center where all your commands will be.

Bob
October 8, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Are you guys kidding me? The original design was like a brick! I wouldn't want that square looking thing in my pocket. The buttons look better the whole phone design is sleek compared to squared corners. Great job on the redesign. Nobody beats sprint everything plans. Pay for overpriced att and verizon!

October 15, 2009 at 2:18 AM

I am a 40 something year old. All I need to know from this new and now generation. Is there anyone out there have any style are taste. Look at both style of Hero's the new model is far sexier. I can rock with that style clip to my tight jeans. When I took a first look at it I rushed online and ourchased it. Can't wait

incomplete
December 16, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Ronnie, I'm 52 and I'm with the new and now generation on this one, sorry bro. May I add that I'm also an artist and a designer. The original was dead sexy ... sleek angles, nice monochrome and very unique. The Sprint version has become simply another addition to a collection of generic and boring US phones. If you simply ignored the rounded corners, the design of the lower 1" is a disaster. Add in the two tone color scheme and you have all the charming interface of a kitchen blender.

I was lucky enough to have been introduced to the original while in Europe and was excited to hear that the Hero was to be released in the states, however now having seen, and held, the redesign I'll pass. Hopefully someone will step up to the plate and offer a killer design for a future phone.

Thanks Sprint.

Ryan
February 9, 2010 at 4:20 AM

I agree, the FIRST one is the best looking. I actually went to the store to get this, and EXPECTED to SEE this. I then went to the kiosk and he pulled it out "What the fuck is this?" and he explained. I would of changed my mind and waited...but I really need a phone.

Saul J
March 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM

hell yeaa original is ugly!!

Saul J
March 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Seriously people da old version looks like a dam brick!! sprint did a good job gettin da new design i hope the htc hero2 (legend) doesnt look like da big brick they are showing now because it is ugly but if it looks diferently i will totally get it!

superjuicebox
April 25, 2010 at 7:18 AM

I'm sorry but you guys that think the old one is one bit stylish are crazy ! It's one of the ugliest things i've ever seen. Whats with the disgusting lip ? Curves ? No, i'm sorry it looks like its defective, but its actually supposed to look like that ! I have the sprint Hero and it's sick, if they had the older original version of the Hero i wouldn't have given it a second look except to gag.