Update: This tutorial does not install Cydia, in other words you must wait for iPhone Dev Team to release the new redsn0w software. When I saw the successfully jailbroken message on the screen I thought Cydia was installed and in all the excitement I decided to post this up for everyone else. Please wait until the new redsn0w is out. Bookmark this site and I'll make a tutorial once it's officially released.
With the iPhone 3.1 update which was recently released, jailbreakers will need to jailbreak their devices again. This update fixes a lot of bugs that were present in the iPhone OS 3.0 firmware, has anti-phising built-in and other cool features. In this post I will explain how to jailbreak iPhone 3.1 using redsn0w.
Note: This tutorial will be using redsn0w version 0.8. There is no redsn0w 3.1 out yet, but this worked for me on 1st Generation iPod Touch 3.1. It may not work for iPhone. If this does not work then don't complain! I recommend you wait for the Dev Team to release the next version of redsn0w (which may be some time this week). I'll make another tutorial once they do.
If you unlocked your iPhone and you want to keep your unlock, then don't update to iPhone 3.1 otherwise you won't ever be able to software unlock again (iPhone 3.1 updates the baseband permanently).
You must update to iPhone 3.1 first (if you have an unlocked iPhone you must not update yet as this will permanently lock your iPhone). After updating, either locate your iPhone 3.1 IPSW file or download it using any of the links below. Do not use Safari, instead use Firefox or Internet Explorer to download otherwise this will download as a Zip file!
- iPhone 3.1 download (iPhone1,1_3.1_7C144_Restore.ipsw, 241 MB)
- iPhone 3G 3.1 download (iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Restore.ipsw, 242 MB)
- iPhone 3GS 3.1 download (iPhone2,1_3.1_7C144_Restore.ipsw, 306 MB)
3. Follow the jailbreaking guide below.
- redsn0w only recognizes iPhone 3.0 firmware (not 3.1 yet!), although you are running firmware 3.1 you must still download iPhone OS 3.0 firmware for your device.
First you must download redsn0w for Windows, Mac, or Linux from here.
redsn0w 0.8 might work for Phone 3.0.1, iPhone 3G 3.0.1, iPhone 3GS 3.0.1, iPod Touch 3.0, and iPod Touch 2G 3.0.
1. Download the iPhone OS 3.0 IPSW file for your device and save it to your desktop. Here are the file names for each device, make sure you have the right one:
- iPhone 2G - filename: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw [download link]
- iPhone 3G - filename: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw [download link]
- iPhone 3GS - filename: iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw [download link]
2. Open the redsn0w 0.8 application to jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1.
3. Click the Browse button.
4. Locate your device's IPSW file that you downloaded in step 1 and click Open.
5. The redsn0w window will have the "IPSW successfully identified" message. Click the Next button to continue.
6. redsn0w will ask you to "Please select which options you would like to have". Make sure the Install Cydia box has a check mark and then click Next.
7. redsn0w will ask you to make sure your device is both OFF and PLUGGED IN to your computer. Make sure you plug in your device in to your computer and then turn it off. Click Next once you have done this.
8. redsn0w will now ask you to connect your device in DFU mode, you must do this properly to jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1.
- Hold down the Power button for 3 seconds
- Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (bottom center button) for 10 seconds
- Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button for 30 seconds
- If you don't do this properly you will get a DFU Mode Failed message and you'll have to go back to step one.
9. Once your device has successfully entered DFU Mode, redsn0w will show the following message: "Please wait while your device is being jailbroken. Waiting for reboot." Your device should reboot after this. If redsn0w is stuck on Waiting to Reboot, unplug your USB cable quickly and plug it back in. The jailbreaking process should continue after tha.
10. Once your device has rebooted redsn0w will start uploading the RAMDisk and kernel.
11. After everything has been successfully uploaded to your device, redsn0w will have the "Done!" message. Your device will now reboot and you should see the Cydia app on your SpringBoard. Your iPhone is now jailbroken!