Apple released their iPhone 3.1 firmware on September 9, and now the iPhone Dev Team has released their Pwnage Tool 3.1 software which can jailbreak iPhone 3.1. There is no Windows Pwnage Tool 3.1, it only works for Mac. If you're a Windows user then you'll have to wait for the iPhone Dev Team to release redsn0w. If you're a Mac user, then follow the steps below to jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.
The Pwnage Tool 3.1 software only works on the following devices: iPod Touch 3.1.1 (first generation only), iPhone 3.1 (first generation), and iPhone 3G 3.1. As of right now the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 2nd generation, and the new iPod Touch 3rd generation are not supported.
How to Jailbreak iPhone 3.1 with Pwnage Tool 3.1
1. Download Pwnage Tool 3.1 (Filename: PwnageTool_3.1.dmg Filesize: 23.1 MB).
2. Double-click the Pwnage Tool icon to launch Pwnage Tool. You may get a message that says "PwnageTool is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?". Just click Open.
3. When Pwnage Tool 3.1 launches you will see a message that says "Copyright 2009 iPhoneDevTeam. This software is not for commercial use. If you bought this software demand a refund. It is not for sale. We are not responsible for any damage this software may do to any of your equipment, BE WARNED." Just read it and click Ok.
4. Click on the device you want to jailbreak. I have an iPod Touch so I'll click the iPod Touch in Pwnage Tool. After selecting the device click the arrow in the bottom right corner.
5. Pwnage Tool will now attempt to locate the IPSW file for your device. If you don't have it downloaded already, here are the download links (iPod Touch download links will not be added here because they expire):
- iPhone 3.1 download (iPhone1,1_3.1_7C144_Restore.ipsw, 241 MB)
- iPhone 3G 3.1 download (iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Restore.ipsw, 242 MB)
6. Once Pwnage Tool finds your IPSW click on it. If it doesn't find it then you can manually browse and locate it. Click the blue arrow in the bottom right corner of the Pwnage Tool application to continue.
7. Pwnage Tool will now show a message saying something like "We will now create an ipsw file that you can use to restore your iPod Touch (2G) with iTunes. This file will be placed on your desktop. Do you want to continue?". Click Yes.
8. Pwnage Tool will now start building the IPSW. You will be prompted to enter in your password, just enter in your password and click Ok.
9. Once your IPSW has been buit, Pwnage Tool will display the following message: "Has your iPod Touch (2G) been Pwned before (does it have the pineapple logo)? If you are unsure click No.". Just go ahead and click No.
10. Time to put your device in DFU mode. Pwnage Tool will guide you through the steps.
11. Once you have successfully put your device in DFU mode Pwnage Tool will display the following: "Successfully entered DFU mode! Close the Pwnage Tool application, start iTunes and restore with your custom firmware bundle." Just click Ok.
12. Now open iTunes (make sure you have iTunes 9!). If you don't have iTunes 9 then download it and install it now.
13. Once you launch iTunes 9, press option on your keyboard and click Restore in iTunes. Find the IPSW file that is named something like iPod1,1_3.1.1_7C145_Custom_Restore.ipsw. Make sure it has Custom in the name of the file and then click Choose.
14. iTunes will now restore the custom IPSW file to your iPhone or iPod Touch. Once it's done you'll see Cydia and Icy on your device! Congratulations, you are done jailbreaking iPhone 3.1 firmware.
You can jailbreak iPhone 3GS 3.1 and iPod Touch 3rd generation, but the jailbreak is not out for it yet. I'll create a guide on how to jailbreak it once the software for it is released. Stay tuned!