Home » » Jailbreak iPhone 3.1 with Pwnage Tool 3.1, Mac only

Jailbreak iPhone 3.1 with Pwnage Tool 3.1, Mac only

Written By Hans Berger on Friday, September 18, 2009 | 7:16 AM

jailbreak Iphone 3.1

Apple released their iPhone 3.1 firmware on September 9, and now the iPhone Dev Team has released their Pwnage Tool 3.1 software which can jailbreak iPhone 3.1. There is no Windows Pwnage Tool 3.1, it only works for Mac. If you're a Windows user then you'll have to wait for the iPhone Dev Team to release redsn0w. If you're a Mac user, then follow the steps below to jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.

The Pwnage Tool 3.1 software only works on the following devices: iPod Touch 3.1.1 (first generation only), iPhone 3.1 (first generation), and iPhone 3G 3.1. As of right now the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 2nd generation, and the new iPod Touch 3rd generation are not supported.

How to Jailbreak iPhone 3.1 with Pwnage Tool 3.1

Pwnage Tool 3.1

1. Download Pwnage Tool 3.1 (Filename: PwnageTool_3.1.dmg Filesize: 23.1 MB).

Pwnage Tool 3.1 message

2. Double-click the Pwnage Tool icon to launch Pwnage Tool. You may get a message that says "PwnageTool is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?". Just click Open.

Pwnage Tool 3.1 Warning

3. When Pwnage Tool 3.1 launches you will see a message that says "Copyright 2009 iPhoneDevTeam. This software is not for commercial use. If you bought this software demand a refund. It is not for sale. We are not responsible for any damage this software may do to any of your equipment, BE WARNED." Just read it and click Ok.

Pwnage Tool 3.1 Select Device

4. Click on the device you want to jailbreak. I have an iPod Touch so I'll click the iPod Touch in Pwnage Tool. After selecting the device click the arrow in the bottom right corner.

5. Pwnage Tool will now attempt to locate the IPSW file for your device. If you don't have it downloaded already, here are the download links (iPod Touch download links will not be added here because they expire):

Pwnage Tool 3.1 found IPSW file

6. Once Pwnage Tool finds your IPSW click on it. If it doesn't find it then you can manually browse and locate it. Click the blue arrow in the bottom right corner of the Pwnage Tool application to continue.

Pwnage Tool 3.1 custom IPSW

7. Pwnage Tool will now show a message saying something like "We will now create an ipsw file that you can use to restore your iPod Touch (2G) with iTunes. This file will be placed on your desktop. Do you want to continue?". Click Yes.

Pwnage Tool 3.1 Password Prompt

8. Pwnage Tool will now start building the IPSW. You will be prompted to enter in your password, just enter in your password and click Ok.

iPod 2G jailbroken before

9. Once your IPSW has been buit, Pwnage Tool will display the following message: "Has your iPod Touch (2G) been Pwned before (does it have the pineapple logo)? If you are unsure click No.". Just go ahead and click No.
Turn off Pwnage Tool

10. Time to put your device in DFU mode. Pwnage Tool will guide you through the steps.

11. Once you have successfully put your device in DFU mode Pwnage Tool will display the following: "Successfully entered DFU mode! Close the Pwnage Tool application, start iTunes and restore with your custom firmware bundle." Just click Ok.

12. Now open iTunes (make sure you have iTunes 9!). If you don't have iTunes 9 then download it and install it now.

13. Once you launch iTunes 9, press option on your keyboard and click Restore in iTunes. Find the IPSW file that is named something like iPod1,1_3.1.1_7C145_Custom_Restore.ipsw. Make sure it has Custom in the name of the file and then click Choose.

iTunes extracting IPSW

14. iTunes will now restore the custom IPSW file to your iPhone or iPod Touch. Once it's done you'll see Cydia and Icy on your device! Congratulations, you are done jailbreaking iPhone 3.1 firmware.

You can jailbreak iPhone 3GS 3.1 and iPod Touch 3rd generation, but the jailbreak is not out for it yet. I'll create a guide on how to jailbreak it once the software for it is released. Stay tuned!

klm
September 18, 2009 at 7:56 AM

does this work on a G5 PowerPC or Intel mac only?

Anthony
September 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM

okay so i have a ipod touch 1g, and i jailbroke to firmware 3.1.1. Then when i try to download something from cydia, it gives me this error:

Errror:Running
Couldn't configure pre-depend dpkg for ncurses, probably a dependency cycle.

can anyone help?

Melvin
September 18, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I did this a few days ago with my intel mac. I was able to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone 3g. The only problem I have found is if you are planning to unlock your iPhone 3g is that you won't see the carrier name in between the single bar and the 3G/E icon. Otherwise everything works. No problems making or receiving call.

Firemanmike07
September 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM

If I put this on my phone will I be able to restore it back to normal if I need to.

Dan
September 18, 2009 at 10:27 AM

will this work with the ipod touch 3rd gen?

Crack it
September 18, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Dan no it will not, read the heading I states it clearly

MarkySharky
September 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Just jb my iPhone 3G 3.1, worked like a charm with an intel mac running Snow Leapard.

maan_27
September 18, 2009 at 11:46 AM

@ melvin & others
yes the dev team clarified that on their blog site, they are working on fixing it.
Hurry up with the windows version.....

jade
September 18, 2009 at 1:14 PM

hi
i have a 2g iphone that i tried to upgrade and now its showing the screen with the usb and itunes. i tried the pwnage tool and when i connected to itunes it comes up with a 1601 error.

help! is it because the sim is block or the phone is locked to a carrier? how can I get around this?

thanks
jade

Gnewt75
September 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

@kim - I tested this on a PPC Mac. It works.

@ those who who arent getting their carrier information:

There's a Youtube video about how to get your carrier signal back.

Here:

Ticat
September 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Hey,

when is the windows version?

gmcdmb69
September 18, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Has anyone noticed if they go under settings>general>about if theirs says for NETWORK "Not Available" too? Mine now says that ever since I Jailbroke the 3.1 and I dont know why is says that now. I also noticed that my tethering option under settings>general>network is gone now. Anyone else have this?

Andrix
September 18, 2009 at 3:47 PM

i have had some problems with my jailbreaking. First, after i was finally able to jailbreak, i couldnt be able to restore my contacts and all. but thats not the worst. now i dont have a signal from att. i had to restore to regular and now i have no contacts and no cydia:(.. pleease some help..

アンパンマン
September 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM

When will going to have JB for iPhone 3GS??? Can't wait...

kevin
September 18, 2009 at 4:07 PM

does it work for iphone that was already updated to 3.1 along with its modem firmware to bootloader 5.09?

abcabc
September 18, 2009 at 4:13 PM

why does it say it wont work for the ipod touch 2nd gen but in the pic ut says ipod touch (2g) ?? nd how come pwnage tool never worked for the ipod 2g ?

Yywiz
September 18, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I really appreciate the effort that the Dev Team has put in on helping other people with the firmware updates problem with apple products... In my case I'm anxiously waiting for the Jailbreak and Software unlock for the 3gs

Nick
September 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM

How do you install cydia only? I have problems when icy is installed as well.

Ravi
September 18, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Does anyone know when the iPod touch 1g 3.1.1 jailbreak will be out for windows vista?
Thanks

iPeace
September 19, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Nice work dew team thx :)

Sebastian
September 19, 2009 at 1:13 AM

anyone could tell me if I can unlock my iphone 3G in firmware 3.1

Daniel_E
September 19, 2009 at 1:16 AM

are u serious? this it was this post is about?

Daniel_E
September 19, 2009 at 1:16 AM

It says press "option" on your keyboard and press restore in itunes.
I have a laptop macbook and i cant find a "option" button and when i tried to only press restore in itunes i couldnt have the option to choose with ispw i wanted to it restored it to a basic iphone again!!? can someone help me please?

brandon
September 19, 2009 at 1:21 AM

will this work for the 3gs?

Robert
September 19, 2009 at 1:21 AM

For the 3GS Jailbreak I suggest waiting to release it till after MMS is installed. Hopefully it will work and we won't need to consider having to do anymore firmware updates to have to jailbreak again.

Trishikh Biswas
September 19, 2009 at 1:44 AM

I have iphone 3g upgraded to 3.1 Os. I have jailbroken my phone several times after each and every update since i bought the phone in january 2009. But the mechanism described above would unlock the phone and jailbreak at the same time right? I experienced it and it was not a pleasant exp for me since i was only looking to jailbreak the phone... We used redsnow to do it b4. Do we need to wait for some more time for the Jailbreak ONLY software?

tibby
September 19, 2009 at 2:11 AM

@Sebastian
Yes, this is what this guides for.

Anyone else having issues with signal? Once unlocked my phone wouldn't receive or make calls or send/receive texts so I've had to jailfix it for now.

aaron
September 19, 2009 at 2:27 AM

I'm trying to jailbreak my ipod touch 2G and i can get the custom software but when i get to the DFU mode screen in pwnage tool, the program just stops and won't give me the instructions to get into DFU mode, but when i try to get into DFU mode myself, the ipod ends up in recovery mode, only then does pwnage tool start the DFU mode process, giving me the instructions to put my ipod into DFU mode, but at that point my ipod is already in recovery mode so i have to restore it, can anyone help me with this problem?

maan_27
September 19, 2009 at 2:39 AM

@ sebastian
if u have a mac follow this tutorial but if u have windows.....wait just like me

Crack it
September 19, 2009 at 2:58 AM

hey quickPWN I noticed that when you hover over iPhone 3g it says iPhone 3g (s) and PWNage tool in the image says iPod touch 2g ???????????????!

Howard
September 19, 2009 at 3:14 AM

after jailbreaking the iphone do i set it up as a new iphone or do i pick a restore??? Right now i have cydia and icy on the phone will i lose they if i restore to a different back up??

zac
September 19, 2009 at 3:35 AM

ok so I have a 1st gen 8 GB iPod and when i tried to restore it with the custom restore it said "An unknown error occurred (1604)."

Gjp
September 19, 2009 at 3:53 AM

Anyone try the jailbreak and not have the Cellular radio turn on? I tried and I was not able to get the Cell radio to to work, just said not service. restored back to the apple firmware and all is good. any thought

That one giy
September 19, 2009 at 3:53 AM

Lol the iPhone in the picture is running 2.x.x. Hahahah

Wonderboy
September 19, 2009 at 5:10 AM

My iPhone 2G is on OS 3.0.1. Do I need to update first to 3.1 or can I just start the process without updating first?

JonT
September 19, 2009 at 5:31 AM

Ran the jailbreak for my iPhone 3G and I have t-mobile, it installed fine, then I ran ultras0wn and after I get a "No Service" message, so what do I do now? Is ultrasn0w not working for the 3G once you upgrade, should I down grade back to 3.0.1, and how do I do that? HELP!! PLEASE!!!!!

LA91
September 19, 2009 at 5:34 AM

The exact same thing happened to me. The phone wouldnt detect my sim card and when I went to settings there was no carrier option. Any thoughts on this?

dominic
September 19, 2009 at 6:07 AM

i just followed everything you post here trying to jailbreak my Iphone 3g and right at the last part where u said press option and restore......i did use the custom ipsw file but in the end it said error and now i cant even do anything to my phone now!!!! u sure this work on iphne 3g???

Amer
September 19, 2009 at 7:52 AM

It's the same as the alt key.

abdo
September 19, 2009 at 8:29 AM

just click alt then left click

abdo
September 19, 2009 at 8:42 AM

i have just trided it and it worked reaply for me

ecd
September 19, 2009 at 12:30 PM

when is pc jailbreak coming out anyone know?

Dave
September 19, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Same problem happened to me.."No Service." Any updates on this??

kissladague
September 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

@Daniel E

hold option on the keyboard and then click restore in itunes. that will bring up a window that you can choose the .ipsw file

ohitsme
September 19, 2009 at 2:06 PM

ok. i did all these steps but right when i got to hit options and restore.. it says that the iphone "iphone" could not be restored because the fireware is not compatible. what do i do now?!?!!?

maan_27
September 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Ok guys i dont think there will be a MMS update from apple itself! Since MMS is more in carrier protocol, meaning the MMS update will be a carrier update & not a firmware update(theres NO 3.1.1 MMS update that i mentioned in some posts).
I am very certain of that because i 3G at 3.0 & i have MMS! Since my carrier etisalate(dubai) provided an update thru itunes.
Now i dont understand what the dev team is waiting for.......hurry up with redsn0w!

Daniel_E
September 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM

I have the same problem with the new jailbreak so i had to restore it to normal :(

Daniel_E
September 19, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I also have the same problem. Cant send sms's or call

Daniel_E
September 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Hans. Maybe u should look into the problem with the call and sms problem that many people has after the new jailbreak. I have read in many forums now and its alot of ppl with this problem. including me :)

Arnold
September 19, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Hey I just updated my 3G to 3.1 , when I try to jailbreak it with Pwnage tool it just does not find the .ipsw file ... :(
I've tried to put it in the same place where the Pwnage tool .dmg file is, and I also tried to put it on the desktop, but nothing.
I read the instructions and followed everything, I am sure i have the right .ipsw file, I just do not find how to select it manually because at step 5 and 6 you say I can select it by my self if Pwnage tool does not find it.
And also, it freezes at the .ipsw file selection, I don't know if it is the reason but I have to force it to quit..
I have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard, and everything, including iTunes is closed when I run Pwnage tool, to avoid bugs, but stil...
Anyone can help ? Thanks

Shane
September 20, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I found the carrier fix, download 3.1 with iTunes 9.0. enter dfu mode, Then u must use the restore hack WITH iTunes 8.2.1, once completed you can use iTunes 9.0 with no errors for me

Shane
September 20, 2009 at 1:53 AM

If u need a copy of iTunes 8.2.1 which will fix all errors email me at shane4web@gmail.com

dominic
September 20, 2009 at 2:56 AM

finally on my second attempts on jailbreaking my iphone 3g after i didn't get any cellular signal...... i redo the whole process after i restored it back to the factory settings on OS 3.1 ...... i click on "yes" when it asked me have i got a contract with itunes (something like that)...... then after every same steps till right at the last which itunes ask if u want to restore it back to when you backed up your phone last time or set up as a new phone...... i choose set up as a new phone......"I GOT THE CELLULAR SIGNAL BACK WITH THE CARRIER NAME TOO",and of cos i can make calls and sms too!!! that's the difference i did compare to the first time!
i'm not sure how u guys gonna get all the data and Apps back but i'm just gonna sync it to my other computer which is a PC instead of a MAC to retrieve all my data and Apps.
hope this work out for all of you out there who lost the signal after jailbreak.

flirtsquirt
September 20, 2009 at 5:27 AM

i think the call/sms issue is ultrasnOw. i did a jailbreak and lost carrier SIM connection, i then uninstalled ultrasnOW 0.91-1 from my 3G 3.1 and can now make calls again. will hold on unlock feature till this is corrected i guess?

Cotti323
September 20, 2009 at 7:00 AM

so i jailbroke it and when i went to restore the custom ipsw it gets about halfway through the restore process and then it tells me the iphone cannot be restored due to an error (1015)

any ideas?

mxzlmar
September 20, 2009 at 7:21 AM

I had the same issue. After a 2nd install, the cell service work! Now the internet over 3G wont work. Works fine on wifi.

jason
September 20, 2009 at 8:08 AM

the option key is to the left and right of the space bar next to the command buttoc

Ahmed
September 20, 2009 at 8:55 AM

when the pwnage tool 3.1 for windows because i have iphone 2g and i want to unlock it

anonymous
September 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM

@ JonT, you must have upgraded to 3.1 without a custom baseband, or does this not really work?

Ryan
September 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM

'option/alt' button on your macbook most probably the 3rd button on the lower left (between 'control' and 'command')

Ryan
September 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM

you can pick a restore, and all your data will be back on the phone, cydia and icy will still be there after the restore.

Dominoc
September 20, 2009 at 1:09 PM

The Internet over 3G Is working fine for me after the second attempt...... Actually is working better then B4.

BathedInBlood
September 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM

The beginning of the write-up states that it will only work with iPod Touch 3.1.1 (1st Generation), but later in the write-up it says iPod Touch 2G and the software is telling me 2G. It won't recognize my IPSW file because it's for 1G.
Now what am I to do?

tony
September 20, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Ok ive gotten everything right all the way up to step 12. I quit itunes and then relaunch it, press the option key, (dont know if something is suppose to pop up, am I suppose to hold the option key?)click on my iphone and hit restore and it does the factory restore. Where am I going wrong here?

Hans
September 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM

It's 1st generation (1G) but for some reason PwnageTool shows it as 2nd Generation (2G).

Joe
September 20, 2009 at 3:20 PM

I did follow the procedure listed and complete the restore 3.1 to my iphone 3G. When iTune 9 try to link up with the Apple website, it came up with a message "there have some problem on my iphone, please contact Apple for further information .... some what like these"

Any solution????

Brian
September 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Any idea on when this will be available for PC? I need to unlock my 3G to use with TMobile.

Amir
September 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM

What about windows users?

Luiz Morales
September 20, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Dear All,

I didn't read all the comments here because I am in a hurry. So maybe I am repeating something that someone else has just posted, and I appologize for that. I've jailbreaked my iPhone 3G yesterday, two times. In thr first try I had the problem with no signal. For the second try, I went to the Expert mode of the PwnageTool and after chosen the firmware, I entered in the General option and UNCHECKED the iPhone Activation (or something like that, as I am using the french version of the program. This time, after the jailbreak, I had signal and everthing, the phone was working fine, but the name of the mobile operator (I mean, AT&T for US, Orange in my case in France) was not appearing just beside the bar signal. This was bothering me, so I did a standard recovery process using iTunes, THEN I jailbreaked using again the Expert mode of PwnageTool, unchecking the Activation of iPhone, etc. Everthing is working smoothly now. Thanks to allow us to jailbreak our iPhones, and sorry for the english... Luiz

Annie
September 21, 2009 at 7:13 AM

I'm having the same problem right now - how do I choose the custom file? Nothing pops up when I click option. Did you end up figuring it out? If so, how?

Bill Belanger
September 21, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Thanks a million. My son downloaded 3.1 from iTunes and locked up my iPhone. We don't have AT&T in our area so subscribing with them is not an option, we have to unlock the phone. Your instructions were perfect and I'm back in business. Thanks ever so much.

Antoniel
September 21, 2009 at 7:30 AM

whats that password? anything i make up?

T
September 21, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Hold the option key and click restore... you can choose the file from your desktop or wherever you saved it.

Reed
September 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Hold the 'option' and 'apple' keys down when clicking on the 'Restore' button in Itunes. You'll be brought to a screen that will let you choose the .ipsw file you downloaded. :)

BathedInBlood
September 21, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I concur with Antoniel - what would the password be?
I'm attempting to tunnel in through Fugu and I need to know the password.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

September 21, 2009 at 11:59 AM

yeah so i jail broke the 3.1 and hey no cell service, idk what is wrong with it

Bman
September 21, 2009 at 12:55 PM

After the message in itunes about the iphone in recovery mode. Click OK. You just hold down the option key while clicking on restore button.

Berto
September 21, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I have iPhone 3GS bought in the USA. It had the 3,0 and unlocked in Brazil. It was functioning normally when I brought up to date in the Itunes with the 3.1. It blocked again. What I make?

amine
September 21, 2009 at 7:31 PM

hi
you have to :
1. downgrade it to 3.0 and then unlock it again.
or
2. USE a Mac to unlock the 3.1, only with a Mac.

@

j
September 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM

The above method worked to jailbreak the phone, but have no carrier option in the settings now, phone functions do no longer work :(

coyote
September 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Where can i find the iPod Touch 1G 3.1 firmware ? I have one website but when i click for download it appears some sort of code type of thing and it never download.

also im receving some error on cydia for 3.1 when downloading release data base, theres anybody else receving those error ? And how can i search for the bad source ? Thank an advance

Shane
September 22, 2009 at 2:36 AM

SSH tunnel
The username is root
the password is alpine

Matt
September 22, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Any one know how to get iPhone tunnel for mac

September 22, 2009 at 5:59 AM

I can confirm this worked for me. Thank you!

iPhonefan
September 22, 2009 at 6:49 AM

after I jb the iphone 2g and installed the ultrasn0w, why I still can't install cr@ck appz to the phone.
any idea?
anyway, does anyone know how to get cr@ck appz to work on firmware 3.1

danil
September 22, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Anyone know is redsn0w included in this IPSW after pwning?

September 22, 2009 at 9:57 AM

please any body knows how to jail break iphone 3gs 3.1 let me know thank u

Eduardo
September 22, 2009 at 10:26 AM

For when the redsnow for windows have the iphone 3G updated to 3.1?

riding
September 22, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I want to jailbreak my iPhone 3g solely for the purpose of canceling my data plan... has anyone been able to successfully use the method detailed above to do this?

Berto
September 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Amine, I already had unlocke here mine 3gs in brasi. When I brought up to date it installed the 3,1. now does not function. This telephone I bought in the USA. He came with the 3.0.1. Has as to give one reboot?

jarred
September 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM

i tried to jailbreak my iphone 3G it was working till i plugged it into my itunes and restored it with the custom 3.1 software but half way through it failed??

can somebody please please help me !!!! :l

jeffrey
September 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Heyho! What's about the iPhone 3gs? There's furthermore no availability? when it will be expected? I'd like to use 3.1 but if the dev-team writes down it will be released @ december this year, I have to downgrade to 3.0x
pmb jeffrey

artur
September 23, 2009 at 4:24 AM

Hi,

Or you can install iAtkos for x86 pc's if you don't have any mac and jailbreak your iPhone.

Shane
September 23, 2009 at 4:36 AM

Appsync 3.1 allows hacked apps back

JIM
September 23, 2009 at 10:01 AM

what the password and the user name for pwnage tool?????

Drelavon
September 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I tried to do this step by step and it didnt work. it says Iphone can not be restored because of an error. Any suggestions?

Drelavon
September 23, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I got it to work. I wasnt holding down the option key when I hit restore. It worked!!! Thank you. I didnt mean to upgrade in the first place, but Im glad that this fixed the problem.:)

rob
September 23, 2009 at 2:37 PM

When I choose options and restore in Itunes its say "iphone can not be restored because firmware file is not compatible.

Running
Iphone 3.1
itunes 9

Vishal
September 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM

appsync for 3.1 is not available.

2G frustration
September 23, 2009 at 4:36 PM

trying to do an itouch 2G V3.1.1 keeps saying wrong fimrware bundle used
The ipsw is direct from Library/Itunes/ipodsoftware update

What am I missing?

Thanks for then help

Melvin
September 23, 2009 at 7:13 PM

If i have pwnage on my windows computer why can't i use that to jailbreak my iphone 3g for os3.1

artur
September 23, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Hello,

I'm having big issues with updating, after PwnageTool builds a custom firmware that I'm going to use in iTunes, I get an error from iTunes: "error code 1600".

What the hell is this?

Arnold
September 23, 2009 at 8:43 PM

not with iTunes
i want to select the .ipsw file with Pwnage Tool
because it does not find it
and it freezes at that step

artur
September 23, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I have solved my problem with 1600 error, but now I'm getting 1604 :(

WTF?

September 23, 2009 at 10:47 PM

for me too error code 1600!! someone could help me, thank's

javon
September 24, 2009 at 12:08 AM

do you know when there will be one coming out for windows will it take months

Debone
September 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Does anybody now when or if the 3.1 jailbreak is getting close or eta and also is there a way to put themes on a 3gs with out jailbreaking anyway I have windows vista I have atat and it is jailbroken please help

matt
September 24, 2009 at 8:39 AM

you cannot put themes in without winterboard on springboard but you say your phone is jailbroken now but not on 3.1 if it is jailbroken go to cydia and install winterboard

matt
September 24, 2009 at 8:41 AM

are you jailbreaking with itunes 9.0 and without sim card in iphone

ineedhelp
September 24, 2009 at 9:08 AM

My iphone 3g 3.0 was jailbroken and working fine with iTunes 9. I have a legit O2 account (in the UK). This evening I attempted to jailbreak to 3.1 using the files and instructions on this page.

It all seemed to go smoothly, however now I have no carrier, so I can't use the phone or 3G. It's not just that there's no carrier name, there's actually no carrier listed in my settings, and it doesn't know its own phone number (iTunes 9 does though) etc. I can't make calls.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? On another forum it suggests that the ipsw file you use should be different if you have a legit carrier (AT&T, O2 etc.) to if you unlock the phone to another carrier. To this end, I downloaded sinful's ipsw for phones on licensed carriers, but pwnage tool tells me "wrong firmware bundle selected"

Help! I've no idea what to do. Should / can I downgrade back to 3.0? I'd be very grateful for any guidance please. Surely I'm not the only person who's run up against this?

Thanks

ineedhelp
September 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM

ok. I figured out that I checked a box saying "activate" which I shouldn't have done. So now that I've worked that out, my next question is, given that my phone is now in a "carrier-less" state, can I now jailbreak again using the 'non-activated' option, and get O2 back as my carrier?

Thanks again

Debone
September 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM

My phone is fully jailbroken on 3.0.1 I am running winterbored with my atat sim card it is jailbroken

QUESTION
September 24, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Hey Guys, the tool worked great, but at the end, itunes prompts me to restore again by "setting up as a new phone", or "restoring" to the last sync...does it matter which I choose?

-this is after i did the custom restore...

matt
September 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM

than you have to be jailbroken to put in themes and theres not a jailbreak out for the gs yet in 3.1 firmware it wont be long they have one out for 2g and 3g but only with a mac pc they always come out with mac first so keep your 3.0.1 for now your not missisng anything with 3.1

Artur
September 24, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Hello,

I have fixed my problem, actually the problem was me, I was not putting my iPhone correctly into DFU mode. Now, everything works just fine! :)

For anyone who doesn't have Mac PC (I also do not own one) install iAtkos v7 and start jailbreaking your iPhones. (That's what I did, I was tired to wait for the Windows solution).

!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone who wants to install the iAtkos OS should read very carefully all the instructions!

ineedhelp
September 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM

For anyone else who has the same problem as me, it IS possible to subsequently re-jailbreak using a 'non-activated' ipsw file, having originally jailbroken using an 'activated' ipsw which caused loss of carrier. It all worked fine, and my phone can see the network again. Phew.

Next question... I have now got a jailbroken iphone 3g on 3.1, and iTunes 9. I have 5 items in my dock and 5 columns by 5 rows on my screen. What's my best bet with regard to managing apps through iTunes? Should I simply deselect all apps in iTunes, and just stick to managing them on the iPhone?

Thanks again

artur
September 25, 2009 at 5:07 AM

Hello,

Today I have bought another iPhone, now it's a 3G version and I've upgraded it to 3.1 version.

After I've upgraded and Jailbreaked my iPhone now I see that I'm having NO DAMN CARRIER.

What should I do?

Thank you!

Paul
September 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Also have NO CARRIER. Tried 3x.

I upgraded to 3.1 via iTunes which upgraded my baseband. I did the jailbreak on here... I understand this cannot be unlocked, but why can't it work with my ATT SIM ?

kamikazim
September 26, 2009 at 4:04 AM

man, i really need your help, how'd you do it?

DaRin
September 26, 2009 at 9:10 AM

When will this be released for windows users?

ZIK
September 26, 2009 at 10:53 AM

HEy i got my phone jailbroken as well but i have NO NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!
there are no signals anywhere and when i went to settings and looked under my phone.....it said number UNKNOWN!!!

Michael luketic
September 26, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Any info on the windows jailbreak ????? Is it coming for sure

armonwilson
September 26, 2009 at 1:20 PM

if i do this will i lose my carrier??

john
September 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Got my friends 2g Phone, Ran Pwnage tool and it asked me to download an ipsw file, did that... it's a 3.0? also asked me to dowload a .bin file bl46... did that. It says everything went fine and to let iTunes restore the phone... did that and it all went fine... phone restarted fine but iTunes still wants to ACTIVATE the phone? What did I do wrong? Or is this correct? can't seem to get the phone to do anything without activating it? Don't see anything on the iPhone except the USB to Itunes screen. Thanks for any advice

Tony
September 26, 2009 at 7:56 PM

I went through all of the steps, but when Itunes went to restore the IPhone it didn't have a selection for a custom restore. What could the issue be? With the version of Itunes?

Jacques_deH
September 26, 2009 at 9:49 PM

@ ineedhelp
Had the same problem, exactly (I have a legitimate account with Swisscom), I restored thru iTunes with the standard 3.1 firmware and carrier/phone/etc. work OK now. Uuuf.
But ... I'd like to jailbreak, though ! Where is this "activate" box I shopuldn't check ??
Thanks, Jacques

Alice
September 27, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Am not able to restore the custom file, says the file is not compatible.

Terrance
September 27, 2009 at 3:03 AM

When will the jailbreak Iphone 3GS OS 3.1 will be release???? Waiting for so long...

September 27, 2009 at 1:32 PM

hey guys! i just want to share a solution to this.

last week, i was tempted to upgrade my iphone 3G to OS 3.1 and when i restore my phone using 3.1 firmware the phone get locked. I've been trying to downgrade and try this solution many times but no luck.

What was wrong with the upgrade of 3.1 is you can't normally jailbreak the iphone by merely following the steps mentioned here when you already upgrade your iphone to 3.1, the steps mentioned here will work if your iphone currently has 3.0.1 or 3.0.

If your iphone was upgraded to 3.1 already, and want to downgrade or to successfully restore a jailbreak custom firmware just follow this step;

1. downgrade the iphone using the redsnow 0.8 jailbreaking plus the 3.0.1 or 3.0 firmware. Note that it will not proceed due to hang with a busy logo. Force it to turn it off by pressing sleep button + home for 5 seconds.

2. turn it on then plugged it your pc/mac and open your itunes, then restore (press shift(win)/option(mac) + click restore) it using your custom firmware made by pwnage 3.1 either from download or using 3.0.1 or 3.0 firmware for downgrade. it will take a while but it will proceed.

3. after that, it will reboot then you have now your 3.1 jailbreak OS with cydia in it. Then you can now install appsync 3.1 for your jailbreak apps.

NOTE: based on the forums, there's no ultrasnow or any software in cydia to unlock your phone for your network signal. The only way is to factory unlock (a technician will open your phone and will remove a device in it, they will reprogram it and put it back to your phone) but it's your own risk. Your phone will never be locked each time there's an update.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Dan
September 27, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I do not understand step 13. When I click the restore button it does not give me an option to choose and ispw file. How do I do this?

Dan
September 28, 2009 at 12:01 AM

I'm having the same problem. When I choose restoring to the last sync Cydia does not show up on my ipod.

J.D.
September 28, 2009 at 2:09 AM

I have a 3G iPhone, which was updated to the OS 3.1 firmware. I went through all the jailbreak steps listed above. At the end, iTunes recognized the device as being in recovery mode and prompted me to begin the restoration process. However, at the point when I should have been able to select the newly created IPSW file as the file to restore with, that file did not appear in the drop down menu. The IPSW file was created and added to my desktop, but I was not able to select it in iTunes 9 to restore my phone. Thus, my iPhone is not jailbroken at the moment. Any thoughts?

September 28, 2009 at 2:34 AM

I have iPhone 3gs with 3.1 can I use this jailbreak

peter
September 28, 2009 at 4:48 AM

I am getting the 1604 error on a 1st gen ipod touch using this method. Anyone have a solution

joglo
September 28, 2009 at 5:20 AM

please dev team PWnage for Windowssss

R G
September 28, 2009 at 6:33 AM

Same problem for me - go through the steps just fine but iTunes gives no option on alternative restore and the official restore then goes through activation with the locked carrier - a real problem as I am about to move from S America to Europe....

If anyone has solved this I'd be grateful to hear how. Is there a way to locate and replace the .ipsw file or does iTunes perhaps now do a checksum or something else to verify?

NoT2sMaRt
September 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Like Peter, on my iPhone first generation keeps getting the 1604 error message. I took out my SIM card, a solution I found on the internet, but same problem. Any ideas?

Jacques_deH
September 28, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Hey guys, ineedhelp says above he wrongly checked an "activate" box during jailbreaking, and that caused a "carrier-less" state after jailbreaking.
I have the same problem; I can't find that "activate" box that shouldn't be checked - does anyone know where it is ??
Thanks !

gec
September 28, 2009 at 5:21 PM

tom reply to people who can't direct iTunes to the right ipsw;

to be able to browse for custom ipsw u have to keep option key pressed while clicking on restore button.

now about the problem. i'm getting 1604 error. the restoration does not even start. picture of connect to iTunes shows in the phone. it just won't go to DFU mode.

normal restoration works ok. only custom 3.1 trid to build it my sel and to dl the ones from other people.

Jorge
September 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Hi. Same behavior that the one that J.D. described. The IPSW can't be selected. I HIGHLY RECOMMENDED DO NOT FOLLOW THIS PROCESS. I supposed something changed since this software piece was released. By the way, the utility is awesome until you faced this very last step.

Enlight please!

Steven
September 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Has anyone actually got his iphone jailbroken to 3.1 without any problem?

Jammer
September 28, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I have a Workaround to the restore issue in itunes 9 (no directory offered):
Move the iphone1,1_317c144_Custom_Restore.ipsw from the Pwnage folder to USER\Library\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
then do the restore in itunes,
I tried this on my iphone 2g and works great.

Hope this helps!
Jammer

Bazuzu
September 28, 2009 at 6:22 PM

How I've solved "1600 error".
I removed SIM, deleted ultrasn0w, created custom_restore.ipsw once again and left it on desktop.

Jammer
September 28, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Forgot to add one thing, in the directory
USER\Library\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

There was already a file there - iPhone1,1_3.1_7C144_Restore
which i renamed to: iPhone1,1_3.1_7C144_Restore-orig

Not sure if it makes a difference but itunes could still pull it up instead of your file you want: iphone1,1_317c144_Custom_Restore.ipsw

wanted to tell you in case....

hoppa
September 28, 2009 at 7:29 PM

p.s., I've seen on other sites that it states that the iPhone 3Gs and 2G/3G iPod Touch are not supported, but in the application, it shows that they are. hmmmm...anyone get this to work yet?

welshdan
September 28, 2009 at 8:05 PM

When you're asked to restore in itunes 9 just hold down the shift button on the keyboard, whilst clicking on restore. This will give you access to your local drive, where you can choose your chosen FW version. Hope it helps!

September 28, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Hey,
Did you manage to solve the problem?? I done it last night and was quite easy.
All you need to do is to remove the ipsw. file in the iTunes folder and replace it with the one you downloaded.

Make sure you Quit iTunes before you start with the procedure and follow the Onscreen commands.
When you see the pine apple on the screen,you will know all is well and you can continue.

The first time I done it, I forgot to quit the iTunes and it didn't do the job properly.

I later install all the other music and pod casts and all is running smoothly.

You can contact me at henning.ras@gmail.com when you are in Europe like London.

Kind Regards

Henning Ras

September 28, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Forgot to mention,
Go to User or name of Mac,Library, Itunes,iPhone Software Updates and then replace the ipsw. file with the one you downloaded or they built for you.

Normally it will be saved on the desktop.Copy it and paste in above folder as I mentioned.

My UK Number is +44 7763 113535

I have the OS 3.1 and still managed to do this.............

Marcos
September 29, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Hey,

Does this work with windows ?
If yes please write the steps

Thanks in advance

TSW
September 29, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Before you click on Restore in iTunes, hold your option key down on your keyboard and then click Restore. This will bring up a window for you to choose what file to restore.....

I did the same thing as you the first time...

Mike
September 29, 2009 at 5:52 AM

U must hold the "option" key when you click restore. Then it will give you the menu where u can find ur restore file on the desktop.

dvs
September 29, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Can we get an update on the 3gs situation?? I'm very curious to know when I can use my iphone again.. Thank You

nancy
September 29, 2009 at 10:29 AM

help??? I keep getting an error that reads: error occurred 1600 any tips of how to solve this issue?

tounf
September 29, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I got it working but my signal is at 0 bars... any suggestions?

Antonio
September 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Hey i got the new iphone software 3.1.1 and i did the same jailbrake as this told me win i had only 3.0 and win i got my phone done with the steps i had no service on my phone i had cydia but no bars :( help

rich
September 29, 2009 at 6:23 PM

um, i did this and now i can only make emergency calls? i have the latest itunes, did everything properly and the restore worked 100% fine, the pineapple shows up when my phone boots but i can't do anything except make an emergency call! someone please help.

Antonio
September 29, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I got it working but my signal is at 0 bars… any suggestions?

stucker bill
September 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM

WHEN WILL THE 3GS VERSION COME????

PLEASE I NEED IT!!!

roslee
September 30, 2009 at 2:29 AM

i try to install and jailbreak on my 1st generation iphone and they prompt me- no bootloader 3.9 file found. what should i do

Patsfan
September 30, 2009 at 2:38 AM

My phone was not reading my sim, because it is for a different company, and I tried restoring but Itunes kept telling me my sim is invalid. So I used Pwnage Tool 3.1 so now I have the pineapple on my Iphone, but itunes still tells me I am using wrong sim

Should I take out my sim ? Should I leave it in ?
I am using 3.1 3g iphone

rookie
September 30, 2009 at 3:29 AM

Oh, sorry forgot to mention:

I used itunes 9 to jailbreak:
1st time - went well till the restoration part
2nd time - error 1604
3rd-5th time - same error

read some forum said to downgrade to itunes 8 so after downgrading:
1st time - jailbroken and restoration succesfully. Everything came back beautifully for me except as mentioned previously, my carrier logo went missing, but I din reali miss tat part much. Been using it for almost 2 weeks and it's working fine =p

Some posts I read posted here earlier in the month mentioned that they flashed their phone a 2nd time and it resolved the carrier logo problem. I'm about to try it tonight.

z
September 30, 2009 at 3:43 AM

i did it all...it worked correctly..but i could not dial or use the phone part..i have the 3g...it seems like it disabled my communication with ATT towers or something

roslee
September 30, 2009 at 4:16 AM

help me. i was doing this jailbreak and finish the procedure and then restore it. Now my phone is in emergency mode. Help me..its urgent

blindfiber
September 30, 2009 at 4:35 AM

I am facing this problem with itunes 9. When i connect my ipod touch and while holding shift key press restore it does not open a browsing window instead it says it needs to connect to the apple website to find a restore file or something like that. I have downloaded the 3.1 update file. How do i update my ipod touch now? And how to I manually update thru itunes 9?

ollie
September 30, 2009 at 5:44 AM

it is because this jailbreak is for 2nd gen touch only

dany
September 30, 2009 at 6:39 AM

i did all this with iphone 3g i updated to 3.1.cant get no service with tmobile help me if u can

Nick
September 30, 2009 at 8:29 AM

hi e1 i need some help .....i can't open pwnagetool i mean launch pwnagetool...i do not why...when i open it with bittorrent then i can not do anything els...can anybody help me ...thank

nick
September 30, 2009 at 10:32 AM

you need to be in "expert" mode when you create your IPSW. once there, the "activate phone" checkbox is the first screen under "General"

roslee
September 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

help me...urgent....my phone is lock now coz during that process, when connect to itune after DFU mode, i did not press ALT key to sellect the restore files and instead press restore on itunes. now my iphone in emergency mode...please help and write mail to roslee7@yahoo.com.sg

Jacques_deH
September 30, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Thanks :-)

ollie
September 30, 2009 at 11:31 PM

before you click build click on general and uncheck the iphone activation box and you wil have signal and it will work

bob
October 1, 2009 at 9:52 AM

My phone is in emergency mode I did not get prompted by itunes for the ipsw file. Please help

Encompass
October 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM

You guys with the no signal can't call out problem its because when quickpwn asks you if you have an account that is activated through itunes and you have AT&T you have to click on yes. If you guys have a 3G with at&t and click on no then you will have no signal. It happened to me and I had to redo the quickpwn on the firmware so I know.

I have att so I can't help the guys that are unlocked for another carrier sorry.

I don't know about original iphone either cuz I only have the 3g sorry. Good luck all.

Matt
October 1, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Will this ever work on the 2g iPod touch?

Tim
October 2, 2009 at 2:01 PM

When is the third gen jailbreak coming out on windows

Amir
October 3, 2009 at 7:30 AM

I am barely patient for 3GS windows version...plz......hurry up...
tnx

LotusTrbo
October 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Worked great for my 2g ... but had to turn off computer and rebot to get it to load. Thanks for the Jail Break !!!

jingle
October 3, 2009 at 10:04 PM

no reception ... jailbreak your iphone again it should work... it worked for me!!!
Thanks Heaps for an awsome download!!!!!!!!!

Paco M
October 4, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Man, I have an original iphone. Apple are bigger pr.cks than microsoft about containing the users experience. Maybe it is time to look at android phones

peter
October 4, 2009 at 4:25 AM

I have 1st gen iPhone. I got through all the steps but when I opened iTunes and pressed the alt/option key nothing happened apart from itunes asking if I wanted a restore. I opened my custom .ipsw file and hit restore in itunes but my phone is still locked. I'm really really bummed, can someone give help, pleeeeese.

Trueblue007
October 4, 2009 at 6:14 AM

Hi Arnold,

Same problem for me. MACBOOK PRO, MAC OS X Snow Leopard and PWNAGE freezes when looking for IPSW. Also have to force quit.

Was working fine and now it stopped for no apparent reason.

Tried to re install but this does not fix the problem.

Driving me nuts!

Jake
October 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM

When I use Pwnage Tool I scroll over to iPhone 3g, a pink box pops up and it says "Click here for iPhone 3G(S)^TM". I am trying to update my iPhone 3g, I do not have a 3GS. My two other options are "iPod Touch (2G)" and "iPhone."

Which is the right one?

Jimmy
October 4, 2009 at 9:52 AM

pass: alpine

DeNo
October 4, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Hi,

I haven't tried the Pwnage tool yet, but used Redsn0w the previous time.

Can anyone help, I have some questions:
1. While using Redsn0w I followed all instructions and lost all my data, such as high scores in games, notes in apps. etc.. Jailbreak went perfectly.
If I follow step 13 as mentioned above, will I lose all my data again? If so, how to prevent?

2. With Redsn0w it's possible not to install Icy (unstable or so).
Is that also possible with Pwnage tool?

I have a iPhone 3G, fw 3.1 (7C144), iTunes 9 and a iMac.

Please some info, can't seem to find that information anywhere...

Regards,
DeNo

MIqbal
October 5, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Jake, it means either iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS, for both select the same option. as this will work. hope its helps

Jose
October 5, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Might be a dumb question, but do we need to be on a 'legit' 3.1 (iPhone 3G) before we do this? My phone is currently jailbroken 3.0.1 and I'd rather not have to upgrade through iTunes / Apple before doing this.

Brian
October 8, 2009 at 8:03 AM

I was able to unlock a 5.11.07 3.1 version by using the 3G in the expert mode and not activating in the build of the ispw. iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Restore.ipsw was the file I used and I have a 3G. Used the right choice.

jason
October 8, 2009 at 9:37 AM

i did the jailbreak and all but after it restores the cydia and the icy but my phone is useless, i dont have service(im w att), what can i do?!?!?!?

jamarbaby
October 13, 2009 at 6:57 AM

i am so happy i have been trying for a couple of days now with different programs and yours is the only one that worked thank you

JAck
October 14, 2009 at 9:30 AM

regarding your second question yes
if u go to expert mode instead of simple mode it takes you through step a little bit more complicated but all the settings are set to what it would do if you would have done simple mode, however when you get to applications you want to intsall u decheck the icy intsaller row and that should do it

October 16, 2009 at 1:22 PM

[...] a custom IPSW and then restoring it through iTunes. If you don’t know how to do that, read my jailbreak iPhone 3.1 with PwnageTool post which gives step by step instructions. [...]

henryk
October 18, 2009 at 4:02 AM

if you have the Errror:Running
Couldn’t configure pre-depend dpkg for ncurses, probably a dependency cycle.

you need only uninstall icy or restore and not install it and if you want it install throught cydia

300
October 18, 2009 at 5:53 PM

okay i followed all the instructions on here and did everything right, cydia and icy also showed up on my phone but the problem is i installed my tmobile sim card and it doesn’t even catch the network i got nothing im confused what should i do i thought i did everything right

Floyd
October 18, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Right now I have 3.0. It is unlocked and jailbroken. Do I foillow these instructions exactly as you have here or do I upgrade thru iTunes to 3.1 first? Thanks... you rock man.

DR.Forbes
October 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Well all is okay i followed all the instructions on here and did everything right, cydia and icy also showed up on my phone know the test is That i will installed my sim tomorrow on a 3G V3.1.2 so far so good no problems

kris
October 20, 2009 at 6:00 PM

hey jason can u call me 626-524-9888 please i got cydia but its not unlocked yet please call me thanks

jacob
October 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM

okay. i got an old iphone 2g, my freind took it apart trying to replace the cracked screen. well he couldnt put it back together so now i have it. when i plug it into the wall. it charges. when i plug it into my mac. nothing. any help? thanks

sean
October 21, 2009 at 12:45 PM

whats the password??? anyone know???

Will
October 21, 2009 at 5:58 PM

just click the iphone 3g(s). they put it as like iphone 3g(s) because the parenthesis are implying that it can either be an iphone 3g or an iphone 3gS.

doug
October 22, 2009 at 3:04 AM

i have iphone 3GS 3.1, 5.11.07

all my friends gave up unlocking this thing. is it possible to use this steps?