Home » » iTunes 9 download Pwned the Palm Pre today!

iTunes 9 download Pwned the Palm Pre today!

Written By Unknown on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 | 8:39 AM

iTunes 9: Pwns the Palm Pre

Apple released the iTunes 9 download along with the iPhone 3.1 update, but guess what? iTunes 9 blocks the Palm Pre from syncing. This means that Palm Pre users will need to stick to iTunes 8.2 and wait until Palm releases an update that will once again work with the new iTunes.

It is not known whether or not Apple intentionally blocked the Palm Pre this time, but Apple also broke the Palm Pre Syncing when they released iTunes 8.2.1. Palm acted quickly and released a webOS 1.1.0 update which fixed the syncing.

I'm sure Palm was aware that the iTunes 9  update was going to block the Palm Pre, that's why they held off on releasing webOS 1.2 which was supposed to be released on September 8. Smart thinking Palm! I look forward to seeing the iTunes fix in the webOS 1.2 update.

anonymous
September 9, 2009 at 8:44 AM

well then, that wasnt a nice move on apple's part if it was intentional

David
September 9, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Not nice?! Why the #*%! should Apple's program support a competing phone? If there is some legal way to go about it, the next release of iTunes should brick a syncing palm prē if it's possible.

Joshua
September 9, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Apple is protecting there product and Palm should be sued for trying to use iTunes with there product. If u want iTunes support purchase a iPod r iPhone.

September 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM

i totally agree, sprint sucks so bad

MacM
September 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Well if palm clamied to have the iPhone killer, they shouldn't depend on apple software in the first place.

slack
September 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I can understand not wanting to support a competing phone, but c'mon Apple. This is just another example of how locked down they keep everything. It would be like if Google said there only going to support phones running Android from now on. No more GMAIL on the iPhone, no more google maps or earth. Think about it. Apple and it's cult like customers need to open there minds a bit more.

slack
September 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM

There not depending on it but they supported it realizing that a huge majority of the consumers unfortunately use iTunes for the media management. iTunes is so locked down and does far to much under the hood away from the end users awareness that I refuse to ever use it again and I'm a iPhone 3GS user.

Matt
September 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Apples messed up

Edgar
September 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Yeah. I do like the fact that I CAN use itunes, I mean it works great on my mac, but Palm should really find another method instead of depending on itunes. I understand why it would frustrate Apple. Reenabling itunes syncing on the pre was cool the first few times, but its gonna get old and seem immature.

Panos
September 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM

The pre doesn't rely on iTunes, it just supports it for the people who rely on iTunes. The pre supports all major media managers.

And iTunes just a media playing program, it shouldn't be blocking anything. Damn apple fanboys

CJ
September 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM

apple should try to sue palm pre for using their software and charging for it (service, activation, and monthly plan) and apple isnt getting a cut. even with apps in the app store apple gets a 20% of the profit. and since apple and sprint and apple and palm arent association thats a violation of the terms and agreement because they are charging for service with freeware.

Phil
September 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I had iTunes long before I owned anything apple. So, I don't think it's a proprietary apple device only software. And doesn't apple make some money off the content?

Knowledge
September 10, 2009 at 2:55 AM

Think of it like this apple supply a program for music sharing like Windows media Player or real player do they stop any media device let alone mobile connect to it?

now think about law yeah your right it's against the law but not for palm but for apple based on the software they have created... Remember this isn't a mobile based software it's music orientated first, I-Tunes was around only for MP3 type devices.

anonymous
September 11, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Hey David why don't you bend over and let Apple shove their phone right up your ass.

anonymous
September 11, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I use Serrato with my itunes and it works fine. I also use my ipod with itunes. So what if I want to sync a playlist, library, or photos why should apple care? I still would purchase music via the store. I think it's bullshit personally. As a longtime Mac/iPod/Palm user, I am offended they would go to such lengths to stop me from using my hardware with their software. I think they want some kind of licensing fee or something. But Winamp/Windows Media Player both allow multiple devices. This seems very reminiscent of something Microsoft would have done back when they were facing Anti-trust lawsuits.

Adam
September 22, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Seriously. Palm prē is gay. And the cult lookin girl from their commercial supports that. Apple made iTunes. iTunes runs on apple software. Who puts out updates for iTunes? Apple. Nobody else. So screw palm prē make your own damn software. Oh ya. Left this with my IPHONE.

blakskorpion
September 22, 2009 at 11:05 PM

to all those who think apple making itunes ipod-specific, grow up. microsoft lets every other mp3 manufacturer sync their hardware with windows media player. they just make them pay for it. if apple were really smart, they'd simply draw up a similar agreement with palm and get on with their lives. personally, i could care less about the issue. all that means is that to sync my pre i have to stick with 8.2.1 until palm brings the new os update. til then, screw apple. if they want a cut, they should demand it. it's not my fault the pre is a better phone than the iphone (not to mention that sprint's service is both better and far less expensive than at&t's). i've had both. i'm sticking with my pre. damn paying $150 a month just because i want the nicest phone. at&t is on the verge of losing a lot of customers. working at radioshack, i have personally taken customers from at&t (not to mention verizon and t-mobile as well) to sprint, pre or no pre. the service is just better. and by the way, google doesn't have their nuts in a bind since the pre has google maps. google seems to have grown up. what's apple's problem?

MacBook1300
September 23, 2009 at 4:31 AM

That's right why should apple open the doors for competing smartphone Companys if I were apple I would be yelling mad about this issue at hand. Plus the apple iPhone in my personal use is the best out there hands down and with the jailbreak it's like having your personal mac or pc in the palm of your hand. Apple rules thanks.

[...] Apple first released iTunes 9 during the September 9 event, they blocked the Palm Pre from syncing with iTunes. This is not the first time Apple did this either. Apple keeps blocking the Palm Pre with each and [...]

Rik
February 18, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Palm Pre is Gay? Wow...devastatingly, insightful, analysis that really gets at the heart of the issue.
Thanks so much. Why didnt you just say you're an blob with missing DNA.
I use iTUNES with my ipod and have a huge library I dont want, and shouldnt have to, dup for my Pre. I paid for the iPOd, Itunes is free, whats it to apple if I use it on the Pre as well? Cant be money cause they were not ever getting any more from me anyway.

[...] out that my Pre got PWNED by Apple again!  When Apple released iTunes 9.0 on September 9, they had blocked the Palm Pre. Palm had originally planned on releasing their new webOS 1.1.2 update a day before the release of [...]