Home » » iTunes 9.0.1 update still blocks Palm Pre

iTunes 9.0.1 update still blocks Palm Pre

Written By Hans Berger on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 | 5:22 PM

Palm Pre: iTunes 9.0.1

Apple recently released the iTunes 9.0.1 update which fixes a lot of bugs that were present in iTunes 9.0. When I found out I just had to download it and check if it worked with the Palm Pre.

After updating to iTunes 9.0.1, I plugged in my Palm Pre and was not surprised when I found out that my Pre got PWNED by Apple again!  When Apple released iTunes 9.0 on September 9, they had blocked the Palm Pre. Palm had originally planned on releasing their new webOS 1.1.2 update a day before the release of iTunes 9.0. For some strange reason Palm delayed their release of the new webOS update. I'm pretty sure iTunes 9 was one of the reasons why Palm had to delay the release of their new webOS 1.1.2 update.

I have nothing against Palm, but I'm happy that Apple blocked the Palm Pre in their new iTunes update and I hope Apple continues doing this. Palm will continue making different webOS devices, including the Palm Pixi which will use iTunes for syncing. Instead of using iTunes, Palm should create their own software. In the end Palm will have to do that, but I hope it's not too late until they realize this.

Nymphilis
September 22, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Ya stupid palm trying to "bum a smoke" off apple...make your own software

pregeek
September 22, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Yea you people are very smart. Palm should make their own software and add to tens of media players that we are already forced to use by different companies for different purposes. Why should I as an Apple iPod Touch and Palm Pre user have to install several different media players to sync my music that I paid to purchase DRM free from iTunes Store ?

chaase
September 22, 2009 at 11:42 PM

its 1.2.0 they were planning on releasing.

guest
September 23, 2009 at 12:43 AM

The author of article is an idiot.
First, for expecting Apple to fix sync with the Palm Pre in the iTunes 9.0.1 update and, actually checking if it worked. Palm would have to release an update to WebOS to even possibly enable it to work again.
Second, for pretending to know Palm's release schedule of WebOS updates and being upset that they didn't hit the date he 'heard' on the internet.
Third, for not understanding that iTunes is not the only sync solution in town for transferring media.
Fourth, for thinking that Palm should create and support their own media player for multiple PC platforms when there are already many other options out there that sync perfectly with the Pre. Palm will probably not create and support any software that installs on the desktop. This is why they don't have their own desktop sync for data. At best, Palm would partner with a 3rd party who would create a plugin or other software solution to allow sync to work with iTunes. This is only because of the current popularity of iTunes with the general (herd) population. In a year or two it could be something else. Many people currently just drag 'n drop and avoid a useless media sync program altogether.

O so marvelous
September 23, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Go sync it with the zune software. Not with iTunes.

Allan
September 23, 2009 at 5:12 AM

The thing is, the Pre is not focused on a Media Sync as its sole purpose as Ipods and Iphones are. WebOS is more of a cloud based online syncing device. I find the Pre more of a PIM device and it does very well at that and on the side plays music. I see no reason for Palm to make a Music syncing program in the short run for this phone. Just sync to iTunes as it only took 5 minues, then 2 hours, the second round to enable syncing . When it goes over 40 man hours to sync to iTunes, Palm will stop development for that: http://www.precentral.net/rumor-webos-121-delayed-will-fix-itunes-sync

I understand why Apple is blocking and why Palm is syncing... its just business and competition. Remember competition is good... if it wasn't for Palms new OS the iPods/iPhones wouldn't have the limited notifications and universal search that it has today. Don't say everybody follows Apple :) (BTW, I own an iPod nano, Touch, 2 macbooks, and a Pre .. and I am in no way a fanboy of either company)

Allan
September 23, 2009 at 5:18 AM

iFail when I bought my stuff on iTunes with DRM, and Apple has the decency to charge another arm and leg for taking the DRM off? I have since switched to Amazon and Media Monkey. Sooo much better !!!

Crack it
September 23, 2009 at 6:33 AM

have you seen the palm pre commerciall
"the phone that's so in sync with your life it's thinking ahead" F*** you know why cause it iseing iTunes

Allan
September 23, 2009 at 10:43 AM

@Crack no iTunes is not what their talking about sync. They are talking about syncing through the web with Cloud and merging that data efficiently through synergy on the phone. Syncing with iTunes is and was only a perk.

Allan
September 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Explained:

guestreply
September 23, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Well said. Obviously the author of this article is a Apple supporter.

CJ
September 24, 2009 at 7:03 AM

yep just keep making apple stonger and tighter palm pre...

Olao99
September 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM

If you want to use iTunes, buy an iPod/iPhone!!!!

Great Apple, blocking palm....

zunguri
September 24, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Apple should continue to try to block Palm.

Palm should continue to integrate with iTunes.

The entertainment value of watching the Apple fanboys get so bent out of shape is well worth the investment.

OlleNisse Jönsson
September 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Why shouldn´t different manufacturers work together to make a better product rather than making their own "itunes".

Personally I HATE to learn new software allt the time, and I HATE having to upgrade, upgrade, learen new, upgrade, learn new.

I want a working good software that WORKS before new functions are added that still doesn´t work.

So bring those clever heads together and make something GOOD that WORKS and will satisfy MORE users.

I just purchased an Iphone 3GS 32 GB and I am concidering throwing it out the window and buy an HTC.

WHY you say, well for one thing, when the phone rings EVERYTHING ELSE STOPS WORKING. or if I just want to make a fast check on the web.. Well ....

WouldYouLikeFriesWithThat?
September 27, 2009 at 3:19 AM

what I don't understand is why stupid apple is being such a *****. its not like people wont get the pre if it wont sync with apple. i chose the pre over the iphone because it was just a better phone. picture mail, multiple apps open at once, etc. were the reasons i chose the pre. APPLE should calm the f**k down and just let pre sync, its not gonna make a goddamn difference for them, but a big difference for people like me who rly want this syncing to work