Home » » iPhone MMS is coming to AT&T today on iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS 3.1

iPhone MMS is coming to AT&T today on iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS 3.1

Written By Unknown on Friday, September 25, 2009 | 2:17 AM

iPhone MMS update coming to AT&TAT&T promised that they will bring iPhone MMS to the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS today. They have not announced any specific time, but they have said that it will be at late morning, Pacific time.

Many people are looking forward to the launch of MMS. I've searched on Twitter and there are a lot of tweets that people are posting about iPhone MMS. It's amazing how so many people are looking forward to this service. Of course, MMS is FREE.

iTunes 9.0.1

To prepare for the iPhone MMS update, download iTunes 9.0.1 and make sure your iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS is using iPhone 3.1 firmware. The iPhone 2G or 1 G will not get an MMS update! If you still cannot wait for AT&T to release the update, you can enable MMS on iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS 3.1 with a hack, but it may or may not work.  Do you think AT&T will be able to handle the iPhone MMS traffic today? Will you be using MMS a lot on your iPhone? Let us know in the comments.

September 25, 2009 at 2:23 AM

I think AT&T will crash,..

Dave
September 25, 2009 at 2:33 AM

Yeah I'll try to send a few mms messages just to show those of my friends that I haven't been able to send mms messages to, that I am now able to. So when everybody updates, I'm ready to have a dead iPhone. Cause I really believe the service could not get any better than it is now. Which now to me is considered piss poor. So down the toilet goes my service. But I look really cool with an iPhone lol. yeah right

Zack
September 25, 2009 at 2:33 AM

I agree... If it doesn't then we sure as hell can expect crappy network performance for a day or so...

rocjarz
September 25, 2009 at 2:35 AM

we all use to send mms when we didnt have the iphone, so really the iphone relaxed there system , ti think it can stand up to this anyways

Db
September 25, 2009 at 2:38 AM

I think they should be able to handle the traffic with all the delays of the release, if not them AT&T is going to have a serious problem with it's subscribers so I would imagine they prepared for it

kash
September 25, 2009 at 2:40 AM

it may crash or be incredibly butt slow, or it may not... I think its gunna be slow for today, i cant wait tho

Weeb
September 25, 2009 at 2:41 AM

"late morning, Pacific time"

Which means 11:59am pacific.

Apple needs to drop this outfit now.

AT&T's ineptitude hurting Apple's sales.

Derek
September 25, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Ya know for a phone as capable as the iPhone to have no mms for this long is really absurd. I understand it had to with at&t more so however to not upgrade your network when you have an exclusive with this popular of a phone seems odd.

dj10024
September 25, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Plus, how many people would just send it as an email instead of MMS which typically shrinks a pic to lower size/resolution? I know I've forwarded via email a full size pic from my ATT/Iphone to my Verizon/Storm to then MMS to someone who doesn't get email on their phone.

It's kind of ridiculous to think that ATT's network cannot handle MMS. What about tethering? The company still sells data cards and just because they enable a feature doesn't mean everyone is going to use it.

With technology, I just don't understand why MMSs wouldn't even just queue, as they do go through a "proxy".

I guess this is why people are fed up with ATT and prefer to unlock their phones and move to a service provider that doesn't limit the capabilities of their devices.

September 25, 2009 at 2:44 AM

[...] AT&T iPhone MMS Update is still coming today, as AT&T promised us. Our inbox has been flooding with a lot of questions [...]

KickNine
September 25, 2009 at 2:45 AM

Yeah we all used MMS before the iPhone, but how many people switched to AT&T specifically for the iPhone? I know I did. AT&T can't handle it. They never provide enough. They have provided quality service like the Titanic provided enough life boats. It just doesn't cut it.

September 25, 2009 at 2:47 AM

People at Apple say today that if AT&T cant handle MMS just like they cant handle the Iphone 2G/3G network then they will change to a new carrier by the end of this year - Apple

dodge
September 25, 2009 at 2:49 AM

I've had mine working this whole month!!! i put the att 5.0 on and its worked

Matt
September 25, 2009 at 3:05 AM

Bout time. The phone that's supposed to do everything can finally do what my old Nokia flip could do! Haha. But in all seriousness I'm pretty stoked about this.

Shehan
September 25, 2009 at 3:15 AM

Y late coming jailbrake os 3.1 for iPhone 3G S????

EVula
September 25, 2009 at 3:24 AM

"The iPhone 2G or 1 G will not get an MMS update!"

Um... the what? There is no 2G; the "G" isn't for "generation." There was the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G, and the iPhone 3GS. The 3G is going to get the MMS update, as it's still a phone that is actively being sold (as opposed to the first gen iPhone).

peter
September 25, 2009 at 3:45 AM

Do you have to sync your phone to get the update?

September 25, 2009 at 3:56 AM

Yeah 2g stands for edge service only basically. So the first generation iPhone was only edge so they call it 2g.

September 25, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Actually "3G" does mean 3rd generation, but you're right, it doesn't mean 3rd generation iPhone. It just means it's the 3rd generation of wireless technology. So in reality, you can call the original phone 2G, but only because it has the older technology and not capable of 3G speeds. Otherwise the first iPhone would really be the 1G iPhone!

September 25, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Yeah nothing here on the east coast in Upstate NY. Just wanted to see what it was like to do something that's been done for years, on my iPhone...

rolexking
September 25, 2009 at 4:15 AM

its out

Rome
September 25, 2009 at 4:16 AM

YAY! Mine is already up and running and it works really good, images and audio are in good quality however the videos are not so great.....FYI you don't have to be on 3.1 to enable MMS, you can stay on 3.0 or 3.0.1 and still make this work so if your phone are jailbroken waiting for the 3.1 or just don't want to update yet then no worries it will work regardless. Enjoy...

mykid
September 25, 2009 at 4:38 AM

@Weeb: No No. For AT&T late morning Pacific time would be 3PM PST.

steveoo
September 25, 2009 at 5:20 AM

the updAte was already release

Peanuttt
September 25, 2009 at 6:04 AM

My MMS for my iphone 3g is working now..

Joe
September 27, 2009 at 6:03 AM

it is not working for the 1st generation

collin
September 27, 2009 at 9:30 AM

i just updated my iphone 3g yesterday and it was working fine today i tried sending it and it will never send! it always say that exclamation point next to the picture i really want to use MMS a lot so can ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Jordan
September 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Haven't got the update yet but I can't wait!!!!!!!! Ive had and iPhone ever scince they came out which when I was 9 and now I have the 3gs