Home » » iPhone 3.1: iTunes Update

iPhone 3.1: iTunes Update

Written By Hans Berger on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 | 5:48 AM

iPhone 3.1 updates message

Today Apple has finally released the iPhone 3.1 update that many iPhone users have been waiting for. This update fixes a lot of bugs that were present in the iPhone OS 3.0 firmware released in June and also supports the new Apps Management feature in iTunes 9.

How to update to iPhone 3.1

1. Connect your iPhone or iPod Touch to your PC.

2. Launch the iTunes application and click the Check for updates button.

3. iTunes will show you the above window saying: "iTunes will update your iPhone to iPhone 3.1 software and will verify the update with Apple". Click on the Update button.

iPhone OS 3.1 software update

4. An iPhone OS 3.1 software update window will show up, click on the Next button. Read and and accept the license agreement. Once you've done that your download will start.

5. The file size of this update varies depending on which device you're updating. Once the iPhone 3.1 firmware update is done downloading it will start the installation process on your iPhone.

iPhone 3.1 Download Links

If you are having trouble downloading the iPhone 3.1 firmware through the iTunes Application then you can directly download the appropriate firmware for your device using the below links:

Note: Don't use Safari to download iPhone 3.1 IPSW files, instead use another browser. Safari downloads this as a .ZIP and iTunes is not able to recognize the firmware that way.

iPhone 3.1 Jailbreaking information

It is still possible to jailbreak your iPhone or iPod Touch on iPhone 3.1. I will update this post once I've posted the iPhone 3.1 jailbreak guide up.

Bmk
September 9, 2009 at 5:54 AM

Is it safe to update on a jailbroken iPhone?

josh
September 9, 2009 at 5:54 AM

do you just update normally even if u have a jailbreaked device

Srini
September 9, 2009 at 6:02 AM

It's not worth to jump right away for the new upgrade if you have a jailbreak handset. Wait untill next week when it's official that u may download the upgrade.

Jmontero
September 9, 2009 at 6:04 AM

Yeah u can update with ajailbroken device without any trouble but if you want to jailbreak back you will need to wait for a jailbreak compability upgrade

September 9, 2009 at 6:04 AM

[...] the iPhone 3.1 update was released to the public. This update fixes a lot of bugs that were present in the iPhone OS 3.0 [...]

Bmk
September 9, 2009 at 6:09 AM

What about iTunes 9 update, is that safe? I know that when they released 8.2 we needed to hold off on the update but that was a whole different story from OS 2 to 3...

Chris Jones
September 9, 2009 at 7:02 AM

It is safe to update to iTunes 9 if you need to downgrade I will post a video on how to downgrade your iTunes so do what they say and ENJOY!!!

Jmontero
September 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM

The only thing u should worry about is that if the ipjone can be jailbroken again cuz we still dont know if the new update will block the jailbreak function

Brian
September 9, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Do not update to 3.1 if you want to jailbreak without having ECID and SHSH on file as 3.1 may be impossible to jailbreak.

September 9, 2009 at 7:38 AM

[...] the iPhone 3.1 update which was recently released, jailbreakers will need to jailbreak their devices again. This update [...]

Jmontero
September 9, 2009 at 8:17 AM

I have a question yesterday cydia install by itself the ECID and SHSH can someone explain what is that and if its harmful for the device?

dude23
September 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I have 2 important doubts:
1: i have a jailbroken ipod touch 1G1 with installous and caracked apps (from installous); if I update from 3.0 to 3.1, can my ipod get blocked or something like that? what happens with jailbreak and the installous' apps? please send a detailed post about this, because many of us have this doubts.
2: Is my itouch 1G compatible with microphones/voice app/voice control? am I doomed to not being able to use microphones for apps like skype or music/recording apps?
thanks.

Cris
September 9, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Dont upgrade to 3.1 is a trap. Automatically diseables tethering and mms. And i try to downgrade. There is no way back!!!

[...] Make sure you install the iPhone 3.1 update and iTunes [...]

Randy
September 9, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Thank You for the heads up. I could care less about jailbreaking but I can't do without my tethering hack :)

Crack it
September 10, 2009 at 5:42 AM

Hey you are not going to belive this got teathering hack working on 3.1 download hack on 3.0.1 then restore and upgrade it is still there

Richmondyayarea
September 10, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Now show us how to downgrade it lol. I want 3.0.1 again

Cris
September 11, 2009 at 4:39 AM

You can't downgrade there is no way back until now

Crack it
September 11, 2009 at 8:44 AM

yep, no way back now 

September 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM

If you have jailbreak application "Categories" watch out, you will not be able to find your apps or re-install them until you install "Categories" again.

Before upgrading remove all your apps from "Categories folders".

***Thanks quickpwn for the awesome software that gives us access to excellent applications!***

Cheers

Josh Moura

charly62
September 23, 2009 at 6:06 AM

Is there a new private patch to re-enable tethering?

charly62
September 23, 2009 at 6:10 AM

So if you upgraded to 3.1, if you download 3.0.1 hack, restore and upgrade iPhone to 3.1, will it work?

ben
October 4, 2009 at 5:46 PM

i have the same situation...so wat should i do or wait and wai and wait ???

Savanhnaly
October 8, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Omg! Do not upgrade to 3.1 it's sucks my phone always freez at least twice a day, and also it's mess up my my jailbreak 

Ahmed
November 25, 2009 at 6:35 AM

I do have trouble downloading the iPhone 3.1 firmware through the iTunes Application then I download it through the download link appears at this website and I save it at the desktop, My question how can I use this to upgrade my iphone? what exactly should I do? please help

Priscila
December 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Hi! I upgraded to 3.1 firmware and now my Iphone is locked, just emergency calls, could you please help me?

sally
December 23, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I have the same problem i have now downloaded it from this website but don't know how what to do with it - my phone has still not upgraded - how do I get itunes to restore it?

sally
December 27, 2009 at 6:38 AM

found the answer - hit shift and update key at same time and it allows you to browse folders so you can upload from whichever folder you downloaded the update

Carol Lehtonen
March 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM

I have the same problem! My iphone is completely locked; I can only make emergency calls on my sim. I tried my U.K. sim to see what would happen and all is fine using it, but it is a Pay As You Go sim,and I only have £7 remaining on it.
Can anyone help? I wish I had never upgraded. I'm heartbroken that I can't use my iphone anymore. Do you think T-Mobile will be able to help? They are my carrier.