Home » » Gmail 502 Server Error

Gmail 502 Server Error

Written By Hans Berger on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 | 7:37 AM

It's true, Gmail is down right now. I'm getting the 502 Server Error while browsing Gmail. I tried browsing Gmail.com on my Palm Pre, on my web Gmail 502 Server Errorbrowser, and even asked a friend to try it on his connection. It appears to be down! It's very rare for any Google service to ever go down.

I'm sure a lot of you rely on Gmail to access your e-mails as well. Thankfully, I have a copy of all my e-mails saved offline on my e-mail. It doesn't matter to me that Gmail is down right now, but I do hope it's back up soon. How many of you are trying to access Gmail right now and are frustrated about it? Rant about it in the comments.

paul
September 1, 2009 at 7:47 AM

Yeah, I noticed this a half hour. Definitely the first time i've had this happen since I started exclusively using gmail in the last six months. I can only hope it's back up soon.

September 1, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Time to find another mail service

Jbov
September 1, 2009 at 7:49 AM

I'm glad it's not just me! This is frustrating; google controls too much to just go out of service. Any ideas about when they will be back up?

david
September 1, 2009 at 7:51 AM

502 error in China. Gmail is a f*cking joke and should be advertised as a childrens only email service.

pat
September 1, 2009 at 7:51 AM

maybe the government is running a test right now to see if they can control the internet.

September 1, 2009 at 7:52 AM

[...] right now Gmail is down and has a 502 server error message when you try to access it. We’re not sure what the problem is, but this is not the [...]

pete
September 1, 2009 at 7:52 AM

maybe something to do with the fires in Los Angeles?

Varun
September 1, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Hi,
I'am getting the same 502 error.. I dont have any backup. Some net surfing informed me that this has happened with some user before this. Can someone tell me how long do i expect to be blocked out of my acount.........

Nancy
September 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I'm also having trouble with gmail. The Google talk pops up with a quick summary, but I can't seem to access the inbox anymore. It has been over an hour and I'm very disappointed. I've cleaned out history in both Google Chrome and in Internet Explorer. What do I need to do now?

Amanda
September 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Yes, gmail is down for me too. I too have my emails saved elseware, but I need to SEND emails, like asap. Any word from Google how long it will be until gmail is back up? This is ridiculous!!!

Lee
September 1, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I just signed up for gmail this week, deciding finally to stop using aol. Not very happy that it's down, I may just go back to aol because it's reliable.

me
September 1, 2009 at 7:55 AM

OH I AM SO FREAKING BUGGED REFRESHING !!!.... ITS BEEN BLEDDDDDUHEEE AN HOUR!!

September 1, 2009 at 7:56 AM

This is driving me crazy, I have work to do! I'm going have to hook gmail up to a client where I can save emails now. I've counted on gmail so long I don't know why I thought they were infallible!

September 1, 2009 at 7:56 AM

yeah ofcourse! Its down for the last half an hour. I have been trying .......

darkvanilla
September 1, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I've been trying to access it all morning (it's the 2nd of Sept here) and nothing is working that is gmail related! Although it is working on my iphone and other google services are also up and running except for gmail!!!

tersyxus
September 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Gmail and related services are down in Europe too. I'm trying to reach it from Hungary. This surely won't enhance Google's reputation. I could ask a friend working at Google in Switzerland but I doubt he would give me any kind of information. Those guys must be working hard at the moment to fix it ASAP, though.

Amy
September 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

My gmail is down as well, but I can access it from my iGoogle home page (within the page, but not in a new window).

James
September 1, 2009 at 8:02 AM

This is Straaaange!!! I hope it's not something major. I've never seen this happen before.

Dustin
September 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM

I am having the same error but it seems that you can access g-mail through iGoogle.

terry
September 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Considering it's a free service, and it's worked more reliably than my corporate email account, I'm inclined to be forgiving of a rather long outage (four hours at least).

hey
September 1, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Hey! Gmail works for me if I use Igoogle! Not a perfect solution but its something at least...

tersyxus
September 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM

No way. Gmail's servers are distributed all over the world. They have regional data centers in almost every developed country. In Europe we cannot reach it either.

enrique
September 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Not sure why, but although I cant access gmail through the browser, I can still access it through the iphone mail app.

dave
September 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM

was working on a very important email...guess i should've drafted it offline in Word or something first. not happy about this! i wish i had more info than "502 server error" and "try again in 30 seconds." it's been over an hour now!

VoodooGuru
September 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Why don't you people use mail2web.com or some other web service that will "pop" your inbox?

September 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM

"This is ridiculous!!!"

Get a grip ! a service like Google is entitled to go down some time. patience and let them work on bringing back Gmail... or maybe you could ask for a reimbursement!
LORD!

September 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Waiting on a very important message!! Hope it gets back up working soon. It is really frustrating.

M Werner
September 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM

It's still down. Though it's working fine for any IMAP client.

Megan
September 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Nancy, there is nothing that we can do on our end. I just hope it comes back soon.

Sheara Camacho
September 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM

:'( NOOOOOOOOOO, why? why?
Lol yup sadly I am in the same predicament :(((

James West
September 1, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Same here in New Zealand.... Wait, I speak too soon! all better for me. Lets hope it stays that way!

lee
September 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM

It just started working for me a few minutes ago.

Sheara Camacho
September 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM

:'( NOOOOOOOOOO, why? why?
Lol yup sadly I am in the same predicament :(((
....
WAIT
it's working again...
whoohoooo

Belle
September 1, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Like everyone else, I'm upset with this...have business contacts waiting to hear from me. Lesson learned: establish a backup account and notify my contacts. Hotmail, here I come.

September 1, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Any idea what the ETA is for fixing this? Did anyone get a word from Google?

sam
September 1, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I can't wait for the news stories to start popping up. THE END OF THE WORLD: Google outage.

Me
September 1, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Then, use POP or IMAP to access your mail.

Mike
September 1, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Strangely I seem to be getting it to push/fetch on to my iPhone. I tried sending an email to my gmail from another of my email addresses and my iPhone got it. On top of that I checked my IM+ Lite app and I can see my Google Chat contacts there. Mind you I tried contacting a few friends on it and they haven't replied yet...I know, I know...

But I hope it comes back soon, this is my main email these days too and I'd rather be using it on a regular computer than on my iPhone.

mjs
September 1, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Try using iGoogle or your cell phone (my iPhone has access).

Jeremy
September 1, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Finally! Back up! Hopefully for everyone. I ran into a suggested trick that may or may not have actually helped, but worth keeping in the back of your mind: try http://gmail.google.com instead of mail.google.com. Don't know if it was pure coincidence or not, but that got me in. See http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/163839-gmail-502-server-error/ for the source, though there's nothing else earth-shattering there.

Lauren
September 1, 2009 at 8:26 AM

It's finally working again. Thank god. My whole life practically fell apart for a moment there lol

tersyxus
September 1, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Wohooo. It came back in Hungary. Hope it's gonna work from now on.

Keunes
September 1, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Had the same problem last our, but it's fixed now (NL)