Home » » Enable AT&T iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS MMS Update on iPhone 3.0/iPhone 3.0.1

Enable AT&T iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS MMS Update on iPhone 3.0/iPhone 3.0.1

Written By Unknown on Friday, September 25, 2009 | 7:40 AM

Enable MMS iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS 3.0 or 3.0.1

A lot of iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS users are still using firmware 3.0, due to the fact that a Windows jailbreak has not been released for iPhone 3.1 firmware.  AT&T released MMS for the iPhone today, and many jailbroken iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS users still want MMS on their iPhones but don't want to update to 3.1 until there is a jailbreak released for it. Thankfully this can be done! I've added the AT&T 5.5 carrier profile download which AT&T released today. Follow my guide below to learn how to add it to your iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS.

Note: If you are on iPhone 3.1 firmware, follow my Enable iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS MMS update through iTunes instead.

Enable MMS on AT&T iPhone 3G/3GS 3.0 or 3.0.1 using Mac

Quit iTunes

1. If you have iTunes open, then right-click and click Quit to close iTunes.

Open Terminal

2. Go to Applications -> Utilities and open the Terminal application.

ATT IPCC Command in Terminal

3. Copy and paste the following command in to Terminal: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

Return key

4. Press Return on your keyboard.

AT&T US IPCC

5. Download IPCC file (this IPCC File is the latest 5.5 file that AT&T released in iTunes today, right click this link and save it as ATT_US.ipcc).

Open iTunes

6. Connect your iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS to your computer and open iTunes.

iTunes Update

7. Press Option on your keyboard and at the same time click on Update in the iTunes window.

AT&T iTunes IPCC

8. Locate your ATT_US.ipcc file you downloaded in step 5 and click Choose.

9. Time to reboot your iPhone. Hold down the top button of your iPhone until the "slide to turn off" message appears, slide and turn your iPhone off. Turn your iPhone on again and it should have MMS on it!

Page 2: Enable MMS on iPhone 3G/3GS 3.0 or 3.0.1 using Windows

Enable MMS on AT&T iPhone 3G/3GS 3.0. or 3.0.1 using Windows

Command Pompt

1. Open Command Prompt (it's in Program Files -> Accessories).

iTunes command

2. Copy and paste the following command and press enter:

cd C:\Program Files\iTunes\

If you're using a 64-bit operating system use the following command instead and press enter:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\

iTunes IPCC command

3. Copy and paste the following command in Command Prompt and press enter:

iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

ATT IPCC file download

4. Download IPCC file (this IPCC File is the latest 5.5 file that AT&T released in iTunes today, right click this link and save it as ATT_US.ipcc).

Open iTunes

5. Connect your iPhone to your PC and open iTunes.

iTunes Check for Update

6. Click Shift on your keyboard and at the same time click Check for Update in the iTunes window.

iTunes ATT IPCC file

7. On the right-hand side there should be a drop-down, click on it and select "iPhone Carrier Configuration files (*.ipcc)", find the ATT_US.ipcc file and then click Open.

8. Reboot your iPhone. MMS should now be working!

September 25, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Doesn't work for me. I get iTunes error message.

September 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Rebooting now, let's see...

David
September 25, 2009 at 8:01 AM

So this is to do it with iTunes 8 on a 3GS?

Rico
September 25, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Great thanx now how bout doing this on a computer most normal ppl own like a windows? XD

Hans
September 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM

The Windows guide is on this page.

September 25, 2009 at 8:08 AM

WE HAVE SUCCESS!!! WELCOME TO THE uh... FUTURE OF uh.. umm.. yeah.

Hans
September 25, 2009 at 8:08 AM

You must use iTunes 9. This guide is for those 3G or 3GS users that are on firmware 3.0 or firmware 3.0.1.

sway
September 25, 2009 at 8:14 AM

this command shit dont work wtf

Michael
September 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Success!!! Easy stuff. Thanks for the tutorial

tavella
September 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I'd try the AT&T 5.0 profile for the jailbroken 3GS. You keep MMS, tethering, and VVM. @musclenerd has instructions. AT&T profile 5.5 removes tethering.

Still have the red ! after patching? Call AT&T. They had to remove and readd my messaging plan.

Veronica
September 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I have the previous installed carrier updaye 5., whats the difference between that and 5.5??

Rico
September 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Sweet I love u (no homo) :)

Flatline
September 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Just updated it in iTunes 8 on windows. iTunes 9 isn't necessary.

Rico
September 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Wait no... That's the link to this same page! I take my love back till I get a real windows link hah

q
September 25, 2009 at 8:44 AM

works great thanks!!!!

Daniel
September 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM

The update worked on my jailbroken 3gs on OS 3.0, but when I send a picture message the progress bar almost completes in sending it but doesn’t. Then says message send failure. Is it something wrong on my phone or just AT&T is crashing?

Doug
September 25, 2009 at 9:04 AM

getting an error in itunes when I try to upgrade the carrier settings. help? itunes 9, 3gs on 3.0.1 jailbroken.

Nick
September 25, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Same issue as daniel...any ideas?

jun
September 25, 2009 at 9:05 AM

will this undo my tethering hack?

guy
September 25, 2009 at 9:07 AM

i get an error in itunes

Nick
September 25, 2009 at 9:25 AM

I got to the last step #7 7. where I need to click the right-hand side to select “iPhone Carrier Configuration files (*.ipcc)“, howerver the only item in the drop down is Ipod/Iphone software files (*.ipsw) how else can I get the IPCC file on the phone? Im running Itunes 9.0.1.8

jun
September 25, 2009 at 9:25 AM

just found another very useful site that told me that you can just activate mms using the following setting and still keep your tethering hack intact in att profile 5.0 and 3.0.1

APN: wap.cingular
Username:
Password:
MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 066.209.011.32
MMS Max Message Size: 614400
MMS UA Prof URL:

bestshipment
September 25, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Hi

I just tried this on my iPhone 3GS 3.0.1 and it is NOT working for me. I didn't get any errors but the MMS thingy in your SMS box is not there. Do I have to change any of the settings?

rmoran
September 25, 2009 at 9:36 AM

"An unknown error has occurred".
3GS 3.0.1. iTunes 9.0.1.

perry
September 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM

wtf i dont know if im dumb or not. i have itunes 9 running windows vista and typed the cmd line in as instructed line for line case sensitive and all. it finally went through after a zillion tries and then itunes opened up on its own. so held shift and clicked update and window pops up but the ipcc file aint showing and also the drop down list only has the option ipod/iphone software files (.ipsw)

what am i doing wrong????

waLIEN
September 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM

This works perfectly on a 3.0.1 jailbroken 3GS. I tried the other hacks all day and most of them were utterly rubbish. I haven't tried tethering yet, though.

wes
September 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM

works like a charm!!!!!!

September 25, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I get thru it no errors......but when i send a message it stops and say connot send message. 16gb 3G os3.0........hmmmmm? and suggestions? I have the family unlimited texting.....

September 25, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Hi. I just tried these steps and iTunes does not prompt me to supply a path to the update file. It only asks me if I am ready to install the update 3.1. Should I try to use an older version of iTunes?

I am running Vista 32 bit

Rawland
September 25, 2009 at 9:45 AM

everything worked - except it lags at the end of the send process and then doesn't send photo. Any ideas?

waLIEN
September 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I also forgot to mention that visual voicemail is still working and I used iTunes 8 to install this carrier file.

Nick
September 25, 2009 at 9:51 AM

September 25, 2009 at 9:57 AM

OK I found my error. I was looking for a "Check For Update" button and there wasn't one.

There was an "Update" button because I had already download 3.1 for when the jailbreak is released and was hesitant to click that due to not knowing if that would immediately start an update on my connected iPhone. It did not and prompted me to select an IPCC file. Whew! :)

Thanks for all of your hard work and patience for people like myself !

KK

Michael
September 25, 2009 at 10:00 AM

bestshipment - Have you rebooted your iphone?

For the rest of you with issues... It sounds like the command line didn't take. Run through those steps again..

Ron
September 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Same as Daniel and Nick above. :(

Santi
September 25, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I wanted to keep my 3.0 JB so this little trick works perfect until DEV TEAM gets out the JB for!

scooby
September 25, 2009 at 10:23 AM

ran through, was able to complete all steps...said updating carrier file no errors. Reboot iphone and it says I am still runing carrier 5.1 on my iphone info. It also will get all the way to very end of the send bar but then it errors and fails to send.

Gnewt75
September 25, 2009 at 10:30 AM

To those wo are getting the red balloon with the white exclaimation point :

Turn off your WIFI and turn on your 3G.

According to the rep at Apple, EDGE doesnt work. ONLY 3G will work best to send MMS.

Djworld
September 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Would this work on iTunes 9.0.1?

Smmysd
September 25, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Work super fine for me. Nice :-D

Lane
September 25, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Ok s is anyone having the issue that you are unable to do the shift+lft click? When I do that nothing is happening, should I sinc first?

James
September 25, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Worked great for me...just follow the steps.

c00ldaddy26
September 25, 2009 at 10:57 AM

THANKS!!!! I followed the instructions as you have them and successfully upgraded my carrier! The first mms didn't go through, probably the networg being all bogged down. I tried to send a couple more and they worked like a charmed. YAAA HOOO I'm still jailbroke and have MMS. There is good in the world.

September 25, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Just tried sending multiple MMS msgs and now I am getting the Red exclamation ! . I tried turning off WiFi and only having 3G on...Hey the WiFi trick just worked !..If this is the case I am wondering how is this going to be feasible considering how many WiFi networks there are out there and that most people have WiFi at their homes...but that will be a different area of discussion I suppose.

Thanks again for all of the hard work and patience !

KK

Jerry
September 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I am using 3GS with 3.0, I was able to installed the update and I'm able to view the option, but when I try to send a picture stay forever in sending and I received an exclamation sign with the error message "Your message was not sent. Try again to send this message"... Any suggestions?

I really appreciate all your work...

jl
September 25, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I did everything it says and it is still stalling at the end or sending an mms and giving me the red exclamation bubble, even shut off wifi. Anyone figure out how to fix this?

tavella
September 25, 2009 at 11:42 AM

If your running 2.0 it 3.0.1, use the carrier AT&T 5.0 file. OS 3.1, use the AT&T 5.1 carrier file. Do a Google search for it if you cannot locate it. I setup one 3GS on 3.0.1 and had to call AT&T to make MMS work due to the red !'s. One 3G on 3.1 worked perfect and a 3G on 3.0.1jb worked perfect ad well using carrier 5.0. Reboot after loading the .ipcc. Verify the version is installed under settings ) general ) about.

Good luck.

Ben
September 25, 2009 at 11:54 AM

dude! or dudette! i fully am now enjoying the awesome ness of mms, on a jailbroken 3g running 3.0. THANK YOU so much!

Bd..

September 25, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Can I do this with windows or only wt mac os

Karson
September 25, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Which "update" am I supposed to click while I hold the "option" key? I clicked on the "check for updates" inside of iTunes under the Apple. Is there another "update" button that I am missing?

Thanks,

K~

CodeSmoke
September 25, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I just tried with a 3G on 3.0 and everytime I try to load the ATT_IPCC file it gives me an error. any ideas?

Mike
September 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Hans,

just to add this:

If you're still on 3.0.1 the button in the iPhone screen (that you have to SHIFT CLICK) will be called "UPDATE" and not "CHECK FOR UPDATES"...

everything else works as described... ;)

3G with 3.0.1 MMS working with WiFi enabled...

Thanx so much !!!

robert
September 25, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I've updated to 3.1 and restarted 3Gs and still have no mms

Howie
September 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Picture message takes 30-60 seconds to send. Quite longer than normal text messages, but you could expect that. But I did get it to work for me. Everyone else getting these errors must have done something wrong. Because I have a JB 3.0 iPhone 3G and it is working perfect on edge. :)

+1 Quickpwn

moose
September 25, 2009 at 1:26 PM

what version of Itunes is required to do this? I tried doing the shift+check for update (which is located under the help tab in my version of itunes) I'm using itunes 9.0.8

NAVIN
September 25, 2009 at 1:49 PM

THANKS SO MUCH! works fine. =D

Query
September 25, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Having problems?

Check the path you entered on the command line:

iTunes.exe /setPrefInt 1

You must type it like that. As they say, copy/paste it. Lower/upper case matters.

As for the others who are having problems, read the directions.

Trucidus
September 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Well, I can do everything but the drop down menu only has one option which is for ipsw not ipcc =/. Any help?

Mankato Ben
September 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Just applied to my jailbroken 3Gs, haven't been able to send an MMS, just red exclamations.

Trucidus
September 25, 2009 at 2:16 PM

My bad, it works perfectly : ).

September 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

didnt work for me. i followed the steps all the way through. at first i didnt see an option to send pic in the messages. so i went in the settings/messages i had to turn it on and went back to test. i have the option but it didnt send. so i went back into settings/general/network/cell data ive added and changed some settings

mms settings
apn: wap.cingular
mmsc: mmsc.cingular.com
mms proxy : 66.209.11.32

everything else stayed the same. tested and work sent a mms to myself

redgirl
September 25, 2009 at 2:37 PM

yay! it worked! thank you sooooooo much! i was so sad thinking i was gonna have to give up my jailbreak. you rock!

Fattyboombatty
September 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Sweet... got the red !'s for a time or two, but kept re-trying and it works!

September 25, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Well, it appears to have worked for me, but I'm stuck. I can still send SMS just fine, but SMS messages keep giving me that stinkin' red exclamation point. :-( Any help would be appreciated. I have a jailbroken 3G with 3.0.1 firmware.

@Kalocho:
I was wondering the same thing at first, but then I noticed this article has two pages: The first page for Mac users, and the second for Windows. ;-) Good luck!

aggro
September 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM

error message:
The iphone "blank's iphone" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (0xE800003D).

I'm using itunes 9.0.1.8 with iphone firmware 3.0.1 and obviously is JB. I'm also trying to do this using windows 7

Damn it!

Jose
September 25, 2009 at 3:04 PM

It's not working for me.
This happens when I try opening the ipcc, http://i36.tinypic.com/kyhkk.jpg
Can anyone help me out?

Don S.
September 25, 2009 at 3:11 PM

When I try to send mms w/pic I get the red! with Your Message was not sent, you can retry in MobileSMS.
Any Ideas? I tried turning off WIFI no luck there! I am just about out of ideas and ready to give up for good.

Shadow_9
September 25, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I followed the steps and I got MMS working but my carrier only went to 5.1 not 5.5 I haven't had any problems either with the MMS so far

Lane
September 25, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Ok so anyone having an issue with shift+click?

I am unable to choose the update?

wind0083
September 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Hay just a quick question I am having trouble because I downloaded the file get to the part were I hit shift check for updates it just checks for the download of the ipone 3.1 software & I dont want that want to stick with the 3.0 so I try to hit shift restore that seems to work but but the update dosnt show up even if I put the update directly in that folder still dosnt show up if someone could help me you have my thinks

Joe
September 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM

when I update the carrier file, it gives me an error... is anyone else getting this?

wind0083
September 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM

ok i figured it out lol but now just having a new problem I did everything it says it updated ther file I see the carrier virshion is 5.1 now I re booted iphone but still no mms icon in messaging thanks once again

September 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Yes me 2 i have the same problem with my 3g Iphone with 3.0 version

Nycjoc
September 25, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Thanks !!! Works great!!!!

jj
September 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM

I am also not seeing a message "Check for Update" mine only pops up with "a new iPhone software version (3.1) is avail... Would you like to DL and install?"... Just click cancel and do the shift click on the "Update" button..

PatrickJ
September 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM

I was having trouble with this too. The drop down box didn't show the .ipcc option. I looked back, and the "/" before the second command is facing the other way. I changed the slash from \ to / and it works now. Hooray!

KEVKEL701
September 25, 2009 at 4:53 PM

WERE IS THE UPDATE IN ITUNES

AHuynh
September 25, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Yeah. 3GS 3.0.1, jailbroken. Update to AT&T 5.0 carrier file.
First, it did not work.
Then Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.
Pix & video sent ok. Long video more than 2 minutes failed.

Stephen
September 25, 2009 at 5:30 PM

So i have tried to enable my MMS on my phone several times. I get an error code (0xE800003D). I tried the install on both a Mac OSX and Windows 7 64bit. Any help will be great.

-Stephen

James
September 25, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Yeah Me Too! I opened Itunes then I clicked on Help then shift + check for updates, but no dice, what gives?

September 25, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Sending Pics And Vids .. and my phone is still hacked!!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!
HUGS AND KISSES MAN!!!

LOL

PS. abuuuu cuzin (inside joke)

chris
September 25, 2009 at 6:34 PM

yea i did the command prompt shit but when i hold shift an go to help > check for updates it tells me i can upgrade my itunes i hit cancel then i can update my phone to 3.1 i hit cancel then thats it...i cant select the ipcc i just downloaded?

chris
September 25, 2009 at 7:06 PM

wait i got it! dont go to help > check for updates go to your iphone in itunes and hold shift while you click the check for updates on the phone itself and the menu will pop up!!!!

September 26, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I was able to do it just fine. If it helps, I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 and iTunes v9.0.1.

September 26, 2009 at 12:26 AM

UPDATE: Last night I mentioned I kept getting the red exclamation point after attempting to send an MMS message. However, my mom said she still received the picture I sent. So check with the recipient of your message if you're getting the (!) 'cuz they might actually be going through just fine.

(I realize this could be old news by now since it's been nearly 12 hours since I posted last night--haven't read any more-recent comments elsewhere--but I still wanted to let everyone here know.)

Mike
September 26, 2009 at 12:35 AM

I didn't do anything I just updated my iTunes and took my iPhone out now I have mms but I get the red ! Everytime I try to send a pic, I am on iPhone 16gb white 3g what do I do to get mms working? Mu iPhone is jailbroken. Do I call AT&T so they fix it or what?

Karan
September 26, 2009 at 12:55 AM

I did not get 'Check for update' in the itunes. I got 'Update' directly. Should I click on shift and 'update'?

dc in Chicago
September 26, 2009 at 1:05 AM

I just used it on my iPhone 3G running the 3.0 software and everything is working fine! :) YAY!

Ian
September 26, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Easy as pie and worked perfect. Running 3gs jailbroken on 3.0
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skooter247
September 26, 2009 at 1:30 AM

When I try to update it, it says an unknown error occurred and gives me a number (0xE800003D). I am running 3.0 0n a 3Gs, jailbroken with Redsn0w. anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it? I am also running the newest version of iTunes I think it is like 9.1 or something.... I just updated yesterday.

Chloe
September 26, 2009 at 1:52 AM

When I am entering the second command, it is saying that it itunes is not recognized as an external or internal command. Any suggestions

moooboy
September 26, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Wow this worked great!! thanks!!
Iphone 3gs 3.0 jailbroke and unlocked, now have MMS!!!

scooby
September 26, 2009 at 2:01 AM

still not working, I have tried to do it like 6 times now. Everything goes as it should, says updating carrier with a progress bar...finishes then I am still at 5.1...any suggestions?

moooboy
September 26, 2009 at 2:32 AM

if your jailbroke i had to go to settings and scroll down to messages and enable MMS.
otherwise mine didnt work either. Im not sure what jailbroke program i have that put messages in my settings but that worked

Gino
September 26, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Help! I have an iphone 3gs on 3.0.1 jailbroken. I keep getting an error: " The iPhone "Gino's iPhone" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (0x8E00003D)." I have called Apple and they said that this 5.5 iPhone Carrier Configuration file should work with my 3.0.1 but I am not having any luck. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Javier
September 26, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Works great!! Thanks dude!

beezelbubba
September 26, 2009 at 3:22 AM

I follow everything directly and when I get to a point where I should be selecting the ipcc file, it will not let me select the file (iTunes 9.1, OS X 10.5.8)

gummby85
September 26, 2009 at 3:23 AM

ya I'm having the same problem. When I open iTunes I'm unable to choose to update.

hackedup
September 26, 2009 at 3:23 AM

Ok. I went thru this step by step on 3 different computers and I keep getting an error after I pick the carrier. I tried 5.0 and 5.5. I'm on a 3g with 3.0.1. Is it something wrong with my phone?

David
September 26, 2009 at 3:55 AM

Hey, when i clicked on the update carrier settings file , it says an error has occured and cannot update carrier settings? HELP ME

September 26, 2009 at 4:00 AM

After reading what happenned to other people with this update i decide to do the following first:

1 - Turn off WiFi
2 - Turn off Location Services
3 - Turn off any password
4 - Do a hard reboot to free up memory

Then i update the iphone with new carrier 5.5
Have someone MMS you first and then sent one yourself.
All went well for me and is working perfect

September 26, 2009 at 4:07 AM

I am using firmware 3.0 on a Jailbreak phone
with a Winterboard theme and no freezing

also note that when i applied the update to my phone it did not show any sync or any bar while loading to the iphone. it happened very fast 1 sec, but all worked perfect just as i did above. I have done this to 9 phones already

Michael Davis
September 26, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Not working for me, I keep getting an Unknown Error messege. Help? Tried uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes. Still same problem.

Brian
September 26, 2009 at 4:20 AM

This is a FIX FOR iTunes Error when trying to update

If you are recieving an ERROR when updating the ipcc file the reason i have found was because of the ATT Cumstom Carrier LOGO via Cydia. I removed that and rebooted and WORKED! Perfect.. Don't forget that MMS will not work if your wifi is on..

CodeSmoke
September 26, 2009 at 4:33 AM

Well at least I'm not the only one having this issue. I have tried a couple of ATT carrier files and they all come up with the error after it tries to load telling me it could not be updated and had an unknown error.

If someone figures this out please post back here so we could get our MMS on with 3.0 and jail brake.

little help
September 26, 2009 at 4:33 AM

If your a little confused about the "check for updates" button it is also the "update" button above "restore" in the iphone window of itunes.

joey
September 26, 2009 at 4:38 AM

You know u will still need a mms plan for you iphone .... maybe that is why some of u are having a problem

Darryl
September 26, 2009 at 4:48 AM

Hey, this worked great on my iPhone 3G 3.01 software. You can see the settings under messaging. other sites show it under network. I just got a message from AT&T before doing this that advised that MMS is now available. thats what made me try it. Maybe the message i got from them lets me know that they enabled MMS on my plan.

Brandon
September 26, 2009 at 5:04 AM

Working here in Roseburg, Oregon... a bit slow... but working.

Cwest
September 26, 2009 at 5:09 AM

So my carrier is now at 5.5 but I dont even have the option to send mms. Any ideas?

Stacey
September 26, 2009 at 5:16 AM

Thanks for the guide it worked perfect for me (3G-3.0 firmware, on windows vista). I had one issue and it was the command prompt I think. I had to open itunes and then send the command. The first few times I tried it, it didn't work. I only got the choice of updating the firmware. When I did it with itunes open and it worked the medu added the MMS update format to my choices. I chose it and rebooted and all is working 100%. Jailbreak fully intact. Will let you know how my friends do they have 2g's, and 3gs mac and windows.

junjie
September 26, 2009 at 6:20 AM

MMS installed perfectly fine on my 3G 3.0.1 but i get this error OxE80003D on my 3GS 3.0.1 any solution to this error

Dale
September 26, 2009 at 6:42 AM

I got the same problem

art
September 26, 2009 at 6:49 AM

my itunes does not have check for update! i says update only when i plug my iphone any ideas?

jared
September 26, 2009 at 7:56 AM

when i push shift and check for update it pulls up the right box.
but only excepts .ispw files. so what do i do?

Jwane
September 26, 2009 at 8:43 AM

you have to go to settings->messaging-> mms on

September 26, 2009 at 8:52 AM

works perfect with windows vista , and to the guy whol said it only says update on your itunes , its the same thing as check for updates, just hold shift when you click the button.

lounatic66
September 26, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Thanks for the info. Mine is working. It's a little slow but working.One thing that I notice though that when I go to the carrier,it still says AT&T 5.1. Is this normal?

Daggo
September 26, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Smooth!!!!!!!!!!

Adam
September 26, 2009 at 10:36 AM

works like a charm. Should be noted though, that you click on "update", not "check for update". Minor detail, but it may throw someone off a bit.

christian
September 26, 2009 at 10:40 AM

welll it worked perfectly fine for me... i have iphone 3G running on 3.0.1 firmware

i followed the cmd prompt things

then downloaded the file and installed it via itunes... (by clicking shift + update)

rebooted phone... and i didnt even need to turn on MMS under setting > messages

i did receive an error message after it rebooted and didnt allow me to connect to itune... but that was fixed by unplugging and replugging my phone

touche fellas XD

STOP_B
September 26, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I'm having the same issue any fixes yet?

art
September 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Thaks!

Da_sh0
September 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I have windows xp(32bit)... on the drop down menu it doesnt let me search for any other files that arent .ipsw when i shift click update... also, step 3 didnt work for me. any ideas?

iphone 3g 3.0.1(7a400)

Da_sh0
September 26, 2009 at 12:10 PM

looking around i realized that everyone elses carrier is 5.1/5.5.. i have 4.0. could this be the problem?

art
September 26, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I played for some time and finally i got everything, the symbol of camera at the message field exert message does not go through and i have big red exclamation sign right next to the picture, meaning it does not go through. Any ideas, please!

art
September 26, 2009 at 1:03 PM

and my carrier is still att 5.1. help please!

wulf
September 26, 2009 at 1:20 PM

worked perfect! i updated my itunes before doing this. held shift and clicked "update" on the iphone page in itunes.

Joel
September 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM

of the mac, i can not find the "update" link. I only see the check for update link. can anyone point me to that?

Michael Davis
September 26, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Got it working; I had to disable ALL Winterboard add-ons, then re-installed update per instructions. MMS works perfectly, no more Red!. Thanks!!!

Joel
September 26, 2009 at 2:04 PM

I don't know what is going on... but where in the world is the "update" button on the mac itunes??

art
September 26, 2009 at 2:17 PM

i disabled all winterboard addons. nothing helps, I've even went through 3 6 packs of Buds!!! frikking thing still does not go trough!

john
September 26, 2009 at 2:43 PM

o thank you so much... now I can be more patient with DEV team... still would be nice to use itunes to move apps but I'm freakin good now

Iphoneking
September 26, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I did it on winDows . It was flawless very easy instruction ,, if u have a exclamation mark( red ) make shure 3g is on not wifi and go to settings SMS and make shure mms is on ,, reboot hope it helps , make shure on dos promt u all spaces and caps

Iphoneking
September 26, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I failed to mention I own 3gs jb purpleRa1n rc1 and was scared to update cause we all don't want to loose our jailbreak and upgrade to 3.1 this tutorial is easy and didn't loose anything mms was install cydia still there,, with first purplera1n installed ,,no problems here!! Still on 3.0

ShadowDTX
September 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Great!!! Thanks!!! Worked like a champ!!!

elijah
September 26, 2009 at 5:34 PM

yeah it works, just follow the directions

nicole
September 26, 2009 at 5:55 PM

how do i do it on windows ?

September 26, 2009 at 6:13 PM

All Worked for me by doing the following BEFORE I STARTED THE UPDATE:

1 - Downloaded the newest itunes 9.0
2 - turn off wifi
3 - turn off location services
4 - disable any winterboard app running in background
5 - i did a HARD reboot to clear memory "very important"

6 - Then i started the update process !!
7 - i had a friend text me first then i sent a text message back

note1* when in the command prompt use the right mouse button to paste not the ctrl+V command

note2* click on your iphone icon under itunes to show your iphone and then ( Hold the shift key and click on Update on the right panel)

note3* i did this in Windows 7 with a Jailbroke 3.0 iphone

note4* when it updated there was no load bar or sync message it happen in 1sec... very important so your not wondering

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GUYS ...Good Luck
i have done 11 phones and all worked perfect
MMS is a little slow but remember they just rolled out this service

jl
September 26, 2009 at 6:42 PM

woooooo, i did this to my phone and my gf's, and like I said earlier I got the red exclamation bubble, so did she, just tryed agian after a few hours and it works fine =}

JBryan
September 26, 2009 at 10:56 PM

iPhone 3gs. 3.0 firmware, jailbroken, not unlocked, iTunes 9.0.1 or whatever the newest version is. MMS working. Same as others. Seems to work only on 3G signal so far, but I don't have a strong edge signal at my home. I used the ipcc file provided above and had no errors anytime during the 5 minute
process. I was using Vista 64 bit. Have sent numerous picture messages already. My tethering hack is also still showing up in settings but have yet to test it.

joey
September 27, 2009 at 12:34 AM

i followed every instuction and everythin went smoothe until it just gave me an error message right at the end it says an unknown error occured could not be updated =*(

spencer
September 27, 2009 at 2:23 AM

1. plug iphone into computer.
2. open itunes.
3. click on the iphone icon in the sidebar to the left.
4. hold option, then click the update button.

Shinigami
September 27, 2009 at 3:24 AM

I get the following error on both my Windows computer and my Snow Leopard computer..."The iPhone xxxx's iPhone could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (0x800003D)." Yes I entered the terminal command on both computers and I do have firmware 3.01 and it is jailbroken. It is an iPhone 3GS...Please help!!!

Billy
September 27, 2009 at 3:40 AM

I am skeptical about pressing shift and update. The update button is involved with updating my phone to 3.1 and we all know we don't want that. :) I have read previous posts about just doing it, but no one specified that the update button was associated with the 3.1 update. Maybe i'm just looking for more reassurance that it will NOT update my OS.

Throwed
September 27, 2009 at 4:31 AM

Mine works for me and my wife, thanks guys, MMS bayba-baaaibaaaaa...

elizabeth
September 27, 2009 at 4:33 AM

I have the same problem, there's no "update" button on itunes that we can press, I thought I was the only one with this issue

art
September 27, 2009 at 4:49 AM

Dudes! I now have ATT 5.5 as carrier. It says in sends but no one receives a pictures.... may be it is just me... sad.

September 27, 2009 at 5:08 AM

Has anyone experienced this. Followed Mac directions for getting carrier update on 3.0.1 3GS jailbroken phone
when sending mms, my Att and signal bars disappear and starts searching for network and loses itself. It then finds Att , 3G and bars come back but if I send another mms, all goes away and loses all signals again
anyone help?

Forte_pr
September 27, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Hi, I follow the steps no problem, but when I create a TXT message it dosent have the camera button to sent picture. I download the carrier modififcation here but on the iphone shows 5.1

Any Ideas?

Version 3.0.1 (7A400)
Carrier AT&T 5.1

Dlin
September 27, 2009 at 7:08 AM

I'm running 3GS with 3.0JB(purplera1n). Followed windows instructions and I updated the new firmware. 3G is on, wifi is off, and everytime I try to send a pic to myself to test it out, I'm having the same problem everyone else is having. It gets to about 90%, sits there for a minute then I get the red !. Any ideas?

Dlin
September 27, 2009 at 7:09 AM

When you hold shift and press update it opens up a window for you to pick what file you want to update. It won't just update automatically.

Forte_pr
September 27, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I forgot to enable the MMS on the messages area. up to now its working great..
i downgrade to carrier 5.0

joey
September 27, 2009 at 9:31 AM

i got the exact same msg, any suggestions??

Iphoneking
September 27, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Try to reset Network in settings , if you are having trouble with mms after the carrier update, it should help

Winii
September 27, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I have an iPhone 3G running 3.0.1 and iTunes 8.0 and it worked Great. I can send to other carriers! Thanks so much.

chief
September 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM

when i click check for updates(while holding shift) i dont see the ipcc file that i saved to my desktop. can anyone help,pls?

Nate
September 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Hey Guys im using Windows Vista and an 3GS with 3.0.1 and when I want to select “iPhone Carrier Configuration files (*.ipcc)“, after I do the shift and click update theirs no drop down for it, can any1 help?

raandom
September 27, 2009 at 9:05 PM

im running Windoze XP with iTunes 9.0.0.70, iPhone 3G 3.0 (7A341) on AT&T, jailbroken. i had background winterboard programs running at the time and had no problems with the upgrade. i was happy to not have needed to restore and jailbreak again. Many thanks to Hans for this!!

September 27, 2009 at 9:07 PM

I actually had to restore mine to a new iphone on 3.0.1 (yes it can be done with iTunes 9.0 as long as you use shift+restore or update and use iphone 3.0.1 .ipsw) for it to actually stop giving me the error and whatever code it was giving me when i'd try to install the att carrier 5.0. Got it working fine and rejailbroke it but lost all my contacts and info :(

Kevin
September 27, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Thanks! I have a 3.0.1 jailbroken iphone using ultrasn0w 0.8 - and following this tutorial I now have a jailbroken phone still with the MMS update. So I highly recommend this to other users who do not want to update to 3.1 yet.

smoke20
September 28, 2009 at 12:51 AM

When I tried similar steps from another website, I kept getting that same error. I had a carrier logo changed using cydia - once I uninstalled that, the carrier update worked fine. Then I went back to my carrier logo mod and reinstalled it - everything worked fine. If you have a carrier logo mod on, uninstall it, reboot your phone, try this trick again to update carrier file, reboot phone, redo carrier logo mod, reboot phone - everything should be working fine.

kevin
September 28, 2009 at 1:39 AM

when i get to the step where you press command and hit update in itunes it prompts me for the 3.1 updat which i dont want cuz im jailbroken. what am i doing wrong?

John Woods
September 28, 2009 at 1:47 AM

I dont have a "Check for Update" button in the Itunes window. Where do I find this button???

elizabeth
September 28, 2009 at 2:37 AM

Is not working I clicked on the iphone icon and nothing comes up.

KevinVW
September 28, 2009 at 4:48 AM

This was extremely helpful as it solved the issue I had. Thanks a million!

se7en.ate.nine
September 28, 2009 at 5:31 AM

Works like a charm!! easy 2 min update for the iphone!! sending and receiving a pic with the iphone takes longer than updating!!

Obersturmbannfuhrer
September 28, 2009 at 6:19 AM

I dont have Check for update box either.. When i click dropdown menu and click check for updates it dosent bring up file selection window, instead takes me straight to update button.. Running win7 iphone 3.0 / i tunes 8.0 (for PDAnet to operate correct) Anyone got solution for this?

stanmanh
September 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Thanks. Works perfectly

stanmanh
September 28, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I had the same issue. When you have iphone connected to Itunes (you see the iphone on the left hand column with you apps., songs, playlist). Go to the Iphone set-up page (it displays, applications, podcast, photos, how to sync). There you will see the "Update Iphone", hold the shift button and press update. This worked and allowed me to update carrier settings. After that you need to do a hard reset on Iphone (hold home button and power button until apple icon shows up). It works and my MMS functions correctly.

stanmanh
September 28, 2009 at 8:14 AM

I only updated the Carrier settings NOT the update to 3.1 OS.

jeremy
September 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM

i have the same problem it doesn't show carrier configuration files (*.ipcc)

Qu33nb33
September 28, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I get message in the command prompt box during the first step. "too many parameters" what does this mean??

Matt
September 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM

FIX FOR UNKNOWN ERROR!!!

I was having the unknown error problem and fixed it by removing my custom carrier icon. Rebooted and the update went through perfectly. tested it and works.

September 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM

This is great! It took me a min. mostly because im not real tech savy and it went just as explained. for some reason it wouldnt show up in my drop down menu, so i put in the file name and it showed up and I hit ok and it was so quick I didnt know if it transfer to my phone. Once I rebooted and went to my texts there it was! Thanks a bunch! Wanted this but was not willing to loose my jailbreak for mms. Now I have all I want so now I can wait patiently for now for the new Jailbrk for 3.1! Thanks again! W@W!

Luis
September 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Anyone else haveing problems with voicemail? Visualvoice isn't working after the mms update.

joey
September 29, 2009 at 3:38 AM

this worked perfect!!!! thanks i been trying for days to figure it out lol

Fox801
September 29, 2009 at 5:05 AM

I was having the same problem and I'm running iTunes 9 on Windows XP Pro. But I closed out of iTunes and then ran the command for the carrier update (itunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1) and it was able to find the file when I opened iTunes and did the Shift + Update and the option was in the drop-down menu. Thanks again.

Obersturmbannfuhrer
September 29, 2009 at 12:03 PM

CHECK FOR UPDATES not available choice... anyone have this similar issue? I imagine SOMEONE out there is encountering them... File selection box not appearing after clicking CHECK FOR UPDATES in dropdown menu.

Hackedup
September 29, 2009 at 1:24 PM

For those people on windows looking for a "check for update" button, it's the same button as "update" right on top of "restore" in iTunes.

For those looking for the .ipcc file that doesn't show up, when pop up window comes up after holding shift and restore. Go to the destination on the pop up window where you downloaded it to (desktop,downloads,etc...) and on the bottom drop down menu select ipcc file and it should show up. Then select the carrier file on the dropdown menu on top of that one.

Thejuice
September 29, 2009 at 10:58 PM

I entered the first command (cd C:\Program Files\iTunes\) but when i enter the second command (iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1), i get the message "Itunes.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program, or batch file."

Any suggestions?

Obersturmbannfuhrer
September 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Oh okay its the UPDATE button not CHECK FOR UPDATE (??) this is crazy, but it twerks!!! thanks guyshers!

MMJ
September 30, 2009 at 3:29 AM

Ok, i have followed the instructions step-by-step, i have uninstalled the FakeCarrier App thru Cydia, i have restarted my Computer and my iPhone multiple times but i still get the error when i try and do the update of MMS thru iTunes. Running Windows Vista, iPhone 3.0.1, iTunes 9.1 or whatever the latest version is.

Any help whatsoever will be highly appreciated.

thanks.

Brad
September 30, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Damn. I swear I've tried everything under the sun to get this to work and no luck. I get the big red exclamation mark. I'm running a iPhone 3g jailbroken running OS 3.0. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

hydraking
September 30, 2009 at 9:23 AM

same here

hydraking
September 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM

i have iTunes 9 everything worked fine the carrier updated but i rebooted and mms still doesn't work

Matt
September 30, 2009 at 10:49 AM

There is no "CHECK FOR UPDATES" button in Windows iTunes (at least if you have a 3.0 or 3.0.1 iPhone. The button is labeled "UPDATE" and is on the first screen when you select your iPhone in iTunes. It is NOT in the "Help > Check for Updates" pull down menu. Hold "Shift" and click the "UPDATE" button. Hope this helps.

Matt
September 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM

There is no “CHECK FOR UPDATES” button in Windows iTunes (at least if you have a 3.0 or 3.0.1 iPhone. The button is labeled “UPDATE” and is on the first screen when you select your iPhone in iTunes. It is NOT in the “Help > Check for Updates” pull down menu. Hold “Shift” and click the “UPDATE” button. Hope this helps.

Matt
September 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I use iTunes 9 and tethering with PDAnet works just fine. The carrier update did not affect this.

JRA
September 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I updated IPCC on a 3G with a custome 3.1 ipsw. My carrier now shows AT&T 5.5 but it will not complete the send of a picture message. It will complete a regular text.
I also noticed the ipcc file is 32.2 KB and not 59.1 KB as the tutorial sugests.

JRA
September 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM

The custom ipsw is jailbroken using the the 3.0.1 baseband

chief
September 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM

how do you enable mms in the messages settings? pls help.

Monkeytoes
September 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I just did the update for the Apple carrier settings in Windows Vista. It worked like a charm! I am on 3.0 with iTunes 8.2, and won't upgrade until the new redsn0w comes out so this works out well. Thanks!

Jesse
September 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Did this the day mms came out on a jailbroken iphone 3g s on 3.0. Everything worked fine except ive noticed today ive been having trouble receiving sms and calls. Anybody else have this problem. Or maybe know whats wrong

ober
September 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Thanks! work perfectly.

Yank
September 30, 2009 at 2:21 PM

IT WORKS!!!

Art
October 1, 2009 at 2:44 AM

I've written a few times before, just to want to let know that my MMS is working, thanks to every one who contributed. Just follow the instructions and be patient.

Eric
October 1, 2009 at 4:32 AM

I have the same problem. I have a jailbroken 3gs with a firmware version 3.0.1. I follow step by step the instuctions posted in this site and still not working. I can only send text messges. If I try to send a picture the big exclamation mark appears next to the photo with a "message send failure" message. I verify the carrier (settings/about/carrier) and indicates AT&T 5.1 not AT&T 5.5 that supposed to said.

dell
October 1, 2009 at 5:12 AM

it totally works. i am running 3gs with 3.0.1 jailbroken but not unlocked. it worked as simply as following his directions. thanks bro !!!

pepito
October 1, 2009 at 5:47 AM

thanks much, worked like a charm. I did not want to upgrade to 3.1 you saved my hide. keep up the good work.