Home » » Downgrade iPhone 3GS 3.1 to iPhone 3GS 3.0

Downgrade iPhone 3GS 3.1 to iPhone 3GS 3.0

Written By Hans Berger on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 | 4:08 AM

Downgrade iPhone 3GS 3.1

With the new iPhone 3.1 update, iPhone 3GS users can no longer downgrade from iPhone 3GS 3.1 firmware to iPhone 3GS 3.0. Apple wants users to stay with the most current firmware. There is no way to jailbreak iPhone 3GS 3.1. No custom firmwares are able to be added on iPhone 3GS either. Fortunately, Saurik, the creator of the Cydia application has come up with a solution. It only works for the few that were able to use Cydia's "on file" system and "hash" their ECID (ECID is the unique chip ID that each iPhone 3GS device has). If you were one of the few, read on below to find out how to downgrade iPhone 3GS 3.1 to iPhone 3GS 3.0. If you were not one of the few, then you are still lucky. iPhone 3.1 can still be jailbroken, but you'll need to wait until a full jailbreak solution is out. I'll post the guide here once it's out.

How to Downgrade iPhone 3GS 3.1 to iPhone 3GS 3.0

If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to run Notepad as Administrator and then locate the hosts file and edit it. Then move on to step 4.

1. Press Windows + R on your keyboard or go to Run.
Run hosts file

2. Type in the following: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.

Select Notepad for iPhone 3GS hosts file

3. Click OK. You should now get an Open With window. Click on Notepad and then click OK.
Hosts file in Notepad

4. Your hosts file will now open in Notepad. Make a new line below 127.0.0.1 localhost and copy and paste in the following:

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

5. Click File - > Save in Notepad. Where it says "Save as type" make sure you select All Files and then click Save.

6. Download iPhone 3GS 3.0 (iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw) and save it to your desktop. If you haven't already, download iTunes 9 and install it.

7. You must now put your iPhone 3GS in Recovery mode. Connect your iPhone 3GS to your PC. Hold down the top iPhone 3GS button and the bottom home button for 10 seconds, let go of the top button but continue holding the bottom home button until iTunes displays the following message: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone 3GS before it can be used with iTunes." Your iPhone 3GS screen should be black.

8. Open iTunes, press shift on your keyboard and click "Restore". Locate the iPhone 3GS firmware 3.0 file you downloaded in step 6 and iTunes should now begin restoring it.

Troubleshooting

• If you get unknown error (3002), it means your Cydia on file system was not hashed. You cannot ever downgrade to firmware 3.0. Just stay on iPhone 3GS 3.1 firmware for now and wait for the iPhone 3.1 jailbreak to be released.

Fyrmed2
September 16, 2009 at 4:36 AM

If I downgrade 3.1 to 3.0 will I still have 3.1 features?

Hans
September 16, 2009 at 4:39 AM

No! This tutorial is just to show that the downgrade can be done if you need to do it for any reason. I recommend you stay with 3.1 and just wait for the jailbreak. 3.0 still has the vulnerability that Apple fixed in 3.0.1.

JMitch
September 16, 2009 at 4:48 AM

Thanks for this. Will this work with 3G as well? Will give it a try..

I don't care for the new features of 3.1 with the anti-phishing.. I just want Cydia back and iBlacklist! :)

BigBoy
September 16, 2009 at 4:54 AM

i get error 3002.

What should i do?

Hans
September 16, 2009 at 4:56 AM

That means you cannot downgrade (as I mentioned in this post). Just wait for the iPhone 3GS 3.1 jailbreak to be released. I believe it won't be longer than 2 weeks or so. :)

maan_27
September 16, 2009 at 5:10 AM

What about us 3G'ers?
2 weeks is a long time guys...try speeding up the process & good luck!

Phantom Wraith
September 16, 2009 at 5:43 AM

This only applies to the 3GS, the 3G should still be able to downgrade freely. Though this does meen that us 3G, 2G, and original users will have to wait for redsn0w a bit longer than normal

kenny
September 16, 2009 at 5:49 AM

my 3gs crash after do reset all setting. (os 3.0)
now i just want restore to normal (3.0) but not!!!
the iphone on and sync with itunes but only apple logo on screen, and restart itseft every about 10 minutes.
anyone have any idea to fix ?
should i go 3.1 and down to 3.0 ?
or stay on broke 3.0 and find the way to fix

Nymphilis
September 16, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Lol, the jailbreak for 3.1 will apply to all 3.1 users 3gs or 3g or 2g, but for those who don't care about antiphishing features, good luck with having bank account information as well as eBay, amazon and paypal being hacked, that is if u do not use the applications provided...but still the faster sync is nice now it doesn't take half an hour to sync my phone

3GS JB OS3.0 User
September 16, 2009 at 6:26 AM

Try force it to power off. (By pressing the power & home button)
Put your iphone in DFU mode. (if you don't know, google it)
Note: in DFU mode, screen will stay black.
Jailbreak again with Redsn0w 0.8
It should be find after the jailbreak.

Brendann
September 16, 2009 at 7:30 AM

cann u downgrade the same way with the ipod touch 1st generation?!! and any idea of when the 3.1.1 jailbreak is gonna come out????

Brendann
September 16, 2009 at 7:32 AM

also, i dont get why this about the 3gs not being able to be jailbroken, but then they said to jus wait for the 3.1 jailbreak... which in the post it said that it couldnt be jailbroken...

Troy
September 16, 2009 at 7:32 AM

I did all the steps here after black screen it shows its trying to retort i see this "Verifying with iphone restore with apple" after that it goes to "The Iphone could not be restored . this device isn't eligible for this requested build.

No error code was giving ... did i do something wrong or is it just not able to go back to the 3.0.1?

September 16, 2009 at 7:46 AM

i get error 3002.
What should i do?
--------------------------
just leave it and open purplera1n Jailbreak it.
Done.

Alan
September 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I placed a 3g sim in my jailbroken and unlocked 2g phone as I was looking for unlimited internet access. (I never thought to check if it was 2 or 3g sim as I got the card from a shop) I upgraded the firmware to 3.1 as the sim was from the assigned network in the UK and then my phone bricked. Now I have serious problems! Any suggestions?

Troy
September 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM

(A) If you get unknown error (3002), it means your Cydia on file system was not hashed. You cannot ever downgrade to firmware 3.0. Just stay on iPhone 3GS 3.1 firmware for now and wait for the iPhone 3.1 jailbreak to be released.

Next time read everything the man types.

(B) Give up and sell your iphone

ferikci
September 16, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Can this be done to iphone 3G (not 3GS)???

Zguy
September 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Hey guys ,,, I managed to downgrade my 3.1 3gs to 3.0 and jailbroke it . My problem is , I have no wireless AT&T phone service ? Had to restore back so I can use my phone ........can someone please let me know what I did wrong ?? Thanks guys

dan
September 16, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I have my ECID, so is it still possible for to give this to Saurik to put into his database? Why has the option to upload the hash gone from Cydia?

Tony
September 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Anybody know if tethering will work once the JB for 3GS 3.1 comes out? Does it work now for those that have downgraded 3GS from 3.1 to 3.0 or 3.0.1?

Bgdenny
September 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I have a 3GS running 3.0. Yesterday I was installing some apps from Cydia, and my phone crashed during reboot. I tried everything, (except restoring to 3.1), and what wound up working was to re-jailbreak with redsnow 8.0, and that was it. I was able to restore the information from Itunes after that with a previous sync from 1 day before. I hope this helps some of you. BTW, Good Luck!

Eric
September 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I did everything correctly to downgrade my 3gs 3.1 to 3.0 fw .......can someone help me get my AT&T wireless service to work ?!? Thanks

iCizzle
September 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

well since att is allowing MMS on the 25th this month i wouldnt expect a jail break till the update for MMS is put out otherwise itll be unnecessary work for the dev team and i just never updated to 3.1 so im still jail broken on 3.0.1 so im happy for now lol

HELP
September 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

WHEN I PASTE 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com BELOW THE THING AND I TRY TO SAVE IT ,,IT DOESNT WORK IT SAYS CANNOT SOMETHING PATH WTF

HELP
September 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM

ALSO IT DOESWNT LOOK LIKE YOUR SCREEN MINE SHOWS A LIST OF NUMBERS

skrood
September 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Hi
i am in the same boat, 3.0 jailbroken, crashed after doing the "erase all settings".
Now trying to get it back to 3.0 by doing another jailbreak like u did but now i keep getting stuck on the "Activating" stage with the pinapple picture !?
any help guys ???? i dont want to upgrade to 3.1

maan_27
September 16, 2009 at 10:54 PM

So what your saying is on 25 comes out the MMS update(3.1.1 maybe)?
Then the dev team starts to work on JB, taking atlest 2 weeks, so its 17 today & HOPEFULLY we will have a JB by 10 october?
Thats almost a freaking month!
They should start working now on 3.1 & when the MMS(3.1.1) update is released, we should be able to JB it by pointing it to the 3.1 ipsw just like 3.0.1 to 3.0 since MMS is not a major update that would mess with the baseband.
What do you think? Just a thought...

carson32
September 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM

I had cydia before I upgraded. How can I get it back?I was at 3.0 now its 3.1.

iCizzle
September 17, 2009 at 3:51 AM

Ya i c ur point but u know how spiteful apple is if the dev deam releases an official update apple will make it to where it cancels the JB, but i dont think it will take tht long for the dev team to work it out they prob just wont release it for 3.1 and test it on the new update (possible 3.1.1) but this is all just my theory but MMS is for sure to come out the 25th it was a post on here at the beginning of this month or the end of AUG

hip2bfit
September 17, 2009 at 4:41 AM

You're in the same boat many of us are. As it says in the article, unless you were lucky enough to have your info on file with Cydia - you'll have to wait until the Dev team figures out how to Jailbreak a 3GS running 3.1 - If you have a 3G however you can jailbreak - there are several articles out there already on this - available on this website or iphone-hacks.com - hope this helps.

September 17, 2009 at 7:26 AM

why can't I jailbreak IPhone/IPod Touch 3.1 ? must i downgrade it ?

william
September 17, 2009 at 8:05 AM

i get message in itunes stating that this phone cant be rebuilt protocol 22 list item 4678
wtf????????????

Crack it
September 17, 2009 at 8:28 AM

if you were wondering how to get your tethering for your iPhone once you put it to 3.0 download teathering hack then open up iTunes it will probolly say there is a new update do not dowload and update just download then click restore iTunes will say there is an update then update and restore when it finishes restore ing use a previous back up to restor to.... once you are done when you go to setting>general>network it will be there 

Crack it
September 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM

also if you go to settings>general>usage scroll to da the bottom it will say teathering data do I'm not so sure if AT&T will charge if you were wondering how I found this out when I updated it my idiot friend unplugged my cable my iPhone was In dfu so I did a restore and update and when I checked it says teathering even after I turned It off it was still there and I found this out by accident 

wildchilly
September 17, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Did you not read any of the article before? You can't get it back unless it was backed up and read on if you did.

Nomad
September 17, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Thanks for the tutorial. It didn't work for me but it was worth a try. I just got my iPhone last Sunday and had it hacked for a few days until today it froze up and had to be restored. It's SUCH a better computer/phone with it jailbroken so I can't wait to have it back to that state. Thanks for all that you guys do. I'll keep checking back for the newest hack.

maan_27
September 17, 2009 at 11:25 AM

@ crack it
Okay do i try tis with or without unplugging the cable while iphone is in dfu mode? I mean can unplugging possibly have a effect?

September 17, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I keep getting an error code (20) can anyone help

September 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM

hi, any help would be greatly appreciated 3gs 3.01 was jailbroken etc and did transmit ecid etc through cydia on my phone , i updated ( yeah i know silly bugger ) as i wasnt too concerned about losing jailbreak until the new one came out , now noticed have lost tethering ( dont go down this track i have a formal complaint lodged with aus govt telco ombudsman etc ) and the profile to install doesnt work so hence i followed downgrade instructions , it gets right through to the end and comes up with unknown error and yes phone is definitely in dfu mode not recovery , i tried with 3.01 and it basically just stops within a second and wont do downgrade but with 3.0 it gets basically all the way to the end and then comes up with error ................any help / info would be greatly appreciated

That One Guy
September 17, 2009 at 1:11 PM

HEY! I just downgraded from 3.1.1 to 3.0 on my iPod Touch 1g. I subsequently Jailbroke. I downgraded on a vista x64 and jailbroke using redsn0w on a mac. I just did a shift+restore and selected a 3.0 firmware I downloaded off of rapidshare. Easy. None of that stuff required.

Nemock
September 17, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I don't buy that the 3GS can't be jailbroken. It is not a hardware issue, as 3.0.1 has been jailbroken on the 3gs, and 3.1 has been successfully jailbroken to other devices. At this point it is a matter of time to figure out the direct process of circumventing any measures that apple has put in place. Unless someone has tried every possible method under the sun to jailbreak 3.1 3GS, I won't buy that it is impossible. Someone out there is working on it as we speak, and we just need to wait for them to figure it out.

BusterDublup
September 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM

after completing step 8 I get a message in itunes that says "The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build." Is there anything i can do?

That Other Guy
September 18, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Hahahah! People like you make my day. This post is about the iPhone 3Gs. iPod Touch 1g, iPhone 2G, have NO PROBLEM whatsoever when it comes to unlocking, jailbreaking and all that crazy stuff. Once you go to second and third generation iPhone/iPod Touch you get into a little more trouble with jailbreaking. I think Apple should be dewormed ...

some one
September 18, 2009 at 1:20 AM

what about mac users ?!!

@switfranc - twitter
September 18, 2009 at 2:13 AM

will jailbreak 3.1 ever gonna released, i am really want it right now, thank you

really scare that it will not released!

DALTON
September 18, 2009 at 2:58 AM

That One Guy-----------I hop u realize that this tutorial is for the IPHONE 3GS, NOT an IPOD TOUCH!!!!

September 18, 2009 at 6:47 AM

My iPhone got stuck in recovery mode after downgrading. I used iRecovery to make it boot properly again. Also make sure that your backups don't get overwritten. I had backed up with 3.0, then updated to 3.1. When it synced again with 3.1, I was not able to restore form my 3.0 backup once downgraded.

funkyone60
September 18, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I cannot get the restore mode to not come up without the itunes and usb cable showing (not black as suggested) what am I doing wrong?

Dumb guy
September 18, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I can't believe I so carelessly upgraded to 3.1. What was I thinking! I was just starting to really enjoy my jailbroken iphone. Oh well, Live and learn.

ukbsktbll
September 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Any news on jailbreak for 3.1. Upgraded without thinking about it messing up the jailbreaking I had done.

harry
September 18, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Greetings,

I jailbroke my iphone 3GS 3.0.1. but i have a problem, i'm not saved my ECID file through Cydia
before my iphone in the situation "stuck in apple logo looping". before that, i replace accidentally the file "mobileinstallation" with others (patch), n i dont have the backup. n now,my iphone wont boot n stuck in apple logo looping. and i cannot restore to 3.0 using saurik method either.

is it restoring the original file will bring back my iphone to "live"? if it yes, can anyone please kindly send/copy to me "mobileinstallation" that is in your iphone 3GS, please i really need it. thanks in a bunch for your help.:) so i can save my ECID file through Cydia, and do the restore thing if this problem happen again..

using iFunbox or iphonebrowser or DiskAid, browse to
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileInstallation.framework, copy the file mobileinstallation and send to me. sentosa.hariadi[at]gmail.com

alaa
September 18, 2009 at 3:53 PM

what about mac users

scorpi
September 18, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Hi there
any way to get my ECID to Surik server to Cydia? Thanks

D.or
September 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I did it but I don't get any reception. It seems like me phone is activated. When I restore back to 3.1 I get reception. Why is that?

gpooba
September 19, 2009 at 3:37 AM

did you ever get the fix for error 20 i have the same error

D.or
September 19, 2009 at 5:36 AM

Nope I got that error of like 1520

Phantom Wraith
September 19, 2009 at 6:37 AM

You guys do know mms will be a carrier update not a firmware update -- pwnage tool 3.1 is out, we just need to eait for redsn0w.

I 've had MMS on my 3G for about a week. On 3.1.

I just miss cycorder, winterboard, and installous -- the only apps I use regularly.

Psypha
September 19, 2009 at 7:18 AM

I have an iphone 3gs 3.0. I want to jailbreak it. Do i have to go through these steps before i can do that so i can have a clean 3.0 restore? With the new 3.1 out i cannot restore to 3.0 or 3.0.1. My OS is 3.0. Someone pleas help me.

Phantom Wraith
September 19, 2009 at 8:32 AM

No, you can use tje latest redsn0w and eon't have any trouble.

dustin w
September 19, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I got the error message 3002 on my iphone 3gs 3.1, is there a way to get out of the activation screen to use it like an ipod until redsn0w is out for windows? Will the upcoming redsn0w work on a 3gs?

maan_27
September 19, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Phantom wraith is right MMS will be a carrier update since its NOT apple/firmware protocol.

I am very certain because i have 3G at 3.0 with MMS, my carrier etisalate(dubai) provided a carrier update thru itunes couple of days back.
Theres NO 3.1.1 MMS update as i mentioned above....i am sorry for that.

Psypha
September 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Dont i have to do a clean restore first? because if i do, you know itunes will not let me, unless i update to 3.1. If i use redsnow normally witout restoring it first will that cause problems, because in procedure they say Restore is preferred as it won't create any wasted space on your iPhone. i just wanna clear things up before i jailbreak. Thanks

Note: I have an iphone 3gs with 3.0 os

kry
September 19, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Will this work for iTouch as well or just the iPhone???

Eric
September 19, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I can not save the file as "all files" even though I have complete access as an admin. I am using Win7 but when trying to change compatibility it tell sme "Compatibility modes cannot be set on this program because it is part of this version of Windows"
Am I missing something here or is there another work around method.
Thanks

Crack it
September 20, 2009 at 4:04 AM

all it ment was my updating got interupted so still on 3.0 I had to restore so it has no different effect ...

Nk
September 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Hey I tried to pasting the host link to the host notepad file. But somehow my computer wouldnt let me do it. It said cannot create the file and it also said make sure the path and file names are correct.

P/s: I tried to download the iphone 3gs downgrade. But it appeared the page of apple and said the link was invalid. I dont know why this happen. Was that because i didnt follow the correct procedure or did it happen due to the itunes and some apple sofeware that i downloaded in which they're prevent me from getting to those sites.

daclicka
September 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

How do I do this on my macbook?

danang
September 20, 2009 at 2:37 PM

i have error 3014..

how can i downgrade my iphone 3gs 3.1 to 3.0

tq

nikkelblack
September 20, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Does this work with a White iPhone 3G on 3.1? or only on the Black ones that are also 3G and have 3.1?

Can you tell me how to go about this with a locked at&t phone (White) 16GB with mostly itunes music and some apps, running with overclocked processor and haxored video chip (thanks nitroz!)

culua
September 20, 2009 at 5:33 PM

wow it worked!!! out all steps i used this is far simplest 10 fo u

TGCLEADER
September 20, 2009 at 9:27 PM

its because once it downgrades after its finished you must first activate it thru iTunes THEN JAILBREAK it if you just downgrade then jailbreak it then try to activate it thru iTunes it wont give you a signal that has happend to me many of times until I figured out what the problem was. Hope this helped Cheers :-)

TGCLEADER
September 20, 2009 at 9:31 PM

well no there wasent a jailbreak for 3.0.1 so if you use readsn0w when it asks for your firmware just use the 3.0 firmware which is 7A341 and it will say it successfully matched your firmware or whatever it says I forgot. But thats what quickpwn said to do. But make sure you install icy along with Cydia cause I did that on 3.0.1 on my friends iPhone and it couldnt detect his firmware on Cydia but Icy worked good.

madmaxpro
September 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM

ME TOO I I KEEP GETTING THIS MESSAGE AND IT SAYS I HAVE TO RESTORE IT. ANY IDEAS? IM ALMOST POSITIVE MY HASH IS ON FILE BUT IT JUST WONT COMPLETELY RESTORE.????????

madmaxpro
September 20, 2009 at 10:39 PM

SORRY I MEAN ERROR "1015" ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS????

Imacellist
September 21, 2009 at 2:29 AM

I downgraded successfully from 3.1 to 3.0 on the 3gs. I jailbreak it and when it is almost done it freezes. I did it like 5 times and the same thing happens each time. Can anyone help?

Imacellist
September 21, 2009 at 3:20 AM

If you get error 20 it means you did it wrong. I did this many times before realizing the problem. You are doing it in restore mode not dfu. If there is anything on your screen you did it wrong. Ok start with the iPhone on and connected to iTunes. Hold down power and home button til phone shuts off. Then let go of power but hold home still. iTunes will say iPhone in recovery mode after about 10 secs. You can let go at anytime now. The screen will NOT be on or active at all. Now when you try the restore you should get error 1510 if I recall the numbers correctly

george
September 21, 2009 at 3:46 AM

i need to restore (not downgrade) iphone 3gs 3.0 firmware. i tried the process above but it won't work. any ideas on how to do this?

pj12345
September 21, 2009 at 9:51 AM

note pad dose not let me modify the host
how do i do these as administrator

Hans
September 21, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Open the Accessories folder, then right-click Notepad and click Run as administrator.

Felix
September 21, 2009 at 1:14 PM

For Mac where I modify Apple servers with Cydia servers ( what are steps for modify ) ? Thank you !

Hans
September 21, 2009 at 1:16 PM

You can search for the Hosts file in Mac and modify it.

Rick
September 22, 2009 at 1:28 AM

when setting the itunes for restore i hit shift key nothing happens wht else do i need to do during step 8 to restore

elliot
September 22, 2009 at 2:14 AM

mine just says this device is not elegible!! help wont let me downgrade, this is soo annoying all i want is to go back to 3.0 from 3.1... some well help me downgrade my iphone 3gs 3.1 to 3.0 !!!

cheo
September 22, 2009 at 3:42 AM

What about if you have windows xp?
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Bryan
September 22, 2009 at 4:27 AM

Hi, i read your info about downgrading iphone to 3.0, however the link you supply for the jspw file is not available what to do?

jgm
September 22, 2009 at 6:45 AM

I follow the steps but at the end Ireceived a message saying that: "The iPhone could not be restores. This device isn't eligible for requested build."

Any ideas?

Brandon
September 22, 2009 at 8:07 AM

If you cant modify the HOSTS file in notepad you need to right click the file and go to "properties" un-check READ ONLY... This will allow the file to be modify the file. =) Hope this works

tom
September 22, 2009 at 1:15 PM

i just got my iphone 3gs 3.1 last week, and 'stupidly' upgraded to the 3.1 firmware, apparently without doing homework and realizing i would lose out on jailbreaking

now i really want a jailbroken iphone badly.

is there any way i can get an email telling me when there's a jailbreak solution for 3gs 3.1

or, is there a URL i can keep checking to see?

Snigga
September 23, 2009 at 12:35 AM

“The iPhone could not be restores. This device isn’t eligible for requested build.” What should i do next !! some help plzz

alefox
September 23, 2009 at 3:01 AM

MY FRIEND, AND ON THE JAILBREAK of whom have 3GS 3.1 AND THE TIME OF DOWNGRADE BASEBAND GIVES ERROR 3002 ... what we can do??

webdev
September 23, 2009 at 6:12 AM

Damn I need tethering for 3GS with 3.1 bad!!!

Steven
September 24, 2009 at 5:28 AM

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, I THOUGHT MY 3GS WAS DONE FOR

Imacellist
September 25, 2009 at 4:48 AM

It sounds like you downloaded the wrong firmware.

Imacellist
September 25, 2009 at 4:50 AM

My phone freezes everytime I try to jailbreak it after restoring it. Yes I do it twice but it still freezes. Am I doing something wrong? It freezes near the end of the jailbreak process. Thanks

Jatinder
September 25, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I phone could not be restored unknown error occured (1015)

Shandee
September 25, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Mine does the same, just give it about 20min to an hr....it will come to.... plus if your trying to jailbreak it and is 3.1 good luck! if it happens to work, pls pls pls let me know!
thanks

BenHum
September 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Worked for me - many thanks. Those with 3002 error are the unfortunate people who didn't get stored ECID hashes - too bad, wait for a 3.1 crack. I had the 1005 error, did it again, got the same error, then I applied PurpleRa1n and bingo, a downgraded 3GS. One word of caution - this DOES NOT downgrade your baseband, only your phone OS version, so it allows Jailbreaking, but does not allow for unlocking.

harold
September 26, 2009 at 12:59 AM

i was in a hurry right now, and i want to know if you guys work on downgrading on iPhone 3GS or not? I really want a jailbreak which and i need to upgrade to 3.1 that time, because my digital compass was not working.

Now, it goes fine but i feel nothing with iphone not jailbroke
So just want to know people's opinion on this, if its work or not

or should i wait for iPhone 3GS 3.1 Jailbreak? If i should, when will it come?? I also heard about greenpois0n, is it true or not

maybe this is too much question, but thanks lol

iphone3gsuser
September 26, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I am sure I had a this Ecid thing, but cannot restore it yet.
Is the file deleted if I restore it to 3.1 and dont upgrade it because I have had a problem with IPhone. (cannot start, apple come and device turned off)

Funk
September 26, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Is this works on Windows XP? I try this last night, no problem yet, but only the note pad part the writing is different from the one featuring above

Madmaxpro
September 27, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Downgraded 3gs 3.1 to 3.0 and jailbroke but no AT&T service either! Any suggestions???

jumi
September 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM

wah. i cant find (iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw) file.
does anyone here able to save it? can you re up it pls?
thank you.

Alejo
September 28, 2009 at 1:54 AM

This does not work!!! I used the proper ipsw and my iphone does have an ECID on file with Cydia. However, I don't know what changing the the host file has to do with any of this. If it is supposed to trick the phone to get the ECID from Cydia...it didn't. I changed the hostfile as per the instructions. In case I did something wrong please let me know.

joker123
September 28, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Must this work only in iTunes 9
If it is, will Purplera1n be able to work on this?

lonk!!!!
September 28, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Seriously, when will the Jailbreak for iPhone3GS 3.1 come?

Mag
September 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I didn't try it yet, even, I'm scared :(, I guess, that I have done the backup, but, I'm not sure what backup it was, just, I found Cydia suggested that it will be better so, I agreed :):) I'm still new to IPhone esp. the 3Gs version, but, I want to clarify something, the hosts file is important for redirecting requests, I mean, when you write www.google.com so, this domain name (google.com) must be translated into an IP address, and the system (windows/mac) do check this file first before querying the DNS server, and the IP address which is provided in the Article is just an IP address of Cydia domain name :), so, whenever ITunes want to authenticate your restore file, it connects to Cydia instead of Apple.com :), and Cyida will handle the response with your file.

That's all, I hope it's clear, and I hope I could have the carriage to do it and I'll let you know.

All the best for every IPhoner :)

Mag
September 29, 2009 at 8:37 PM

To let you all know that, it didn't work for me, the Cydia backup was corrupted :(, it's very unpleased, and I guess, the Iphone will be used as a racket till we find a jailbreak for the 3.1 :)

Regards,

Ron
October 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Ok i downgrade and i succesfully jailbreak using Redsnow. But for some reason i dont have any service or any signal. What is the solution? I hAve tried to do the process so many times but still no good.

olu
October 2, 2009 at 2:17 PM

mistakenly updated my 3GS to 3.1, just after a week of use. Now ive been exposed to the world of the Jailbreakers, freezers, brickers, Chosen ones!! What do i do? Get another phone or wait for the downgrade... Will it ever come? someone tell me it will come. Im desperate. Its an amazing phone!!

Kar
October 2, 2009 at 11:16 PM

That is so unfortunate that I am the few who bought an iPhone 3GS (White 32GB) still unbreakable. I would like to pay for the sofware but I also want to test them before purchase. Please let me know if there is any solution to JailBreak the Ver. 3.1.Thanks in advance.

Sal
October 4, 2009 at 2:57 AM

When is the new jailbreak coming out for OS 3.1? Its been over a week now and its driving me crazy not having my iphone jailbroke. Give us some answers or at least some updates on when this will happen.

Dude
October 4, 2009 at 6:09 AM

there is a 3.1 jailbreak with pwnage tool for people who did not update with itunes

remesh
October 18, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Did you find any solution as yet for your phone?
I have a similar problem. The phone is everything else but a phone.

If you get help, please let me know.

Hawzin
October 20, 2009 at 4:50 AM

e hi, i have a problem with downgrade 3.1.2 to 3.0 iphone 3gs i think i try everything i could all ways i get a same error (Thiphone could not be restored This device isn't eligible for the requested build) now i need help please thanks ..

Addison
October 21, 2009 at 4:37 AM

Me too. Not eligible. Any ideas?

UpstateChris
October 22, 2009 at 6:02 AM

My 3GS died (ya, OK...FINE! So I screwed with it until I bricked it...you happy?) It was at 3.0.1, and it DID in fact have the SHSH files at Cydia. Unfortunately it was toast in such a way that the only way I was able to revive it was an official "Restore" - which of course made it 3.1. I have found several variations of the above instructions online. From what I have learned (through about 20 failures and 1 success) is the following:

Use this value in the HOSTS file: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com - some videos and instructions mistakenly give you this: 74.208.105.172 gs.apple.com

Use DFU mode - NOT recovery mode. If you see the happy cable coming up from the bottom of your screen to plug into iTunes logo then NO, YOU ARE NOT IN THE RIGHT MODE. In DFU mode the screen is completely black. If you don't know the difference might I suggest a new tool known as Google?

OK, the HOSTS file thing is confusing to many people (based on comments on like 50 sites). I understand not everyone is an I.T. geek, so I will explain this. iTunes verifies that your phone can be restored with the version you are trying to use by contacting a particular server at Apple (named "gs" in this case). When iTunes goes out to get approval it looks up the IP (that is the actual address) of the server, gs.apple.com (gs is the hostname, apple.com is the domain). All workstations will look at their local HOSTS and on Windows LMHOSTS files first - then go to DNS servers next. By adding this one line you are basically tricking your machine to go to the Cydia server instead of the GS server to check for the certificates/permission to perform the upgrade. There seems to be a lot of people with security concerns here - which begs the obvious question, "Why the hell are you jailbraking your phone with untrusted software in the first place?" If you trust enough to Jailbrake and put many, many piece of software from people all over the world (even some 12 year old in Russia) then changing one host value on your system is the absolute LEAST of your worries.

Make sure you are using iTunes 9 and the restore file: iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw - I tried others and they did not work. If you Google this file name you get hundred of hits as to where to download it so there is no need for me to post that here.

OK...this is absolutely CRITICAL. In order for this to work AT ALL you had to have had an iPhone at 3.0.x, jailbroken, connected to Cydia and allowed it to copy your SHSH stuff. Jay only had this process up for a VERY short window. It has long since been shut down and if you didn't do it at 3.0.x then it is pointless anyhow. You would know if your information is stored - you would have had to have allowed Cydia to extract it and every time you went to Cydia you would see a message that says This iPhone has an SHSH file at Cydia or something like that on the top of the screen. It you are not sure, then there is a 99.9% chance you did not have it and you just need to live with 3.1.x....deal.

Another thing that is mentioned in some of the tutorials - you WILL get an error (though there is some discrepancy as to which error) the first time you do this. After it fails, do it again. You will get an error again at the Restoring iPhone Firmware part after the recovery, but this time you have been downgraded. As per several tutorials and my experience it works the second time...sort of

After this your iPhone should be in a loop and only boot to Recovery Mode (cable/iTunes logo). There are two ways out of this - one, use iRecovery (again, Google is your friend) to get out of this, or just Jailbrake at this point - either works.

For far more information go here:

And remember to thank Jay every chance you get.

Neil Stewart
October 23, 2009 at 4:28 AM

This did not work for me either - I have tried it on 3 different PC's, although all running the newest itunes 9.0.1.8, could it be that apple is not using some thing other than gs.apple.com?

Shine31
February 4, 2010 at 3:38 AM

"I don’t know what changing the the host file has to do with any of this"

Don't post, if you don't know! The entry in the host file is to preventing iTunes from connecting to gs.apple.com and redirecting it to the IP 74.208.105.171. This is just the trick to get a allowance from iTunes to install "not eligible" firmware.

Anwar
February 14, 2010 at 5:36 AM

Hello friends, i have a problem with 3.1.2 iphone 3gs i think i try everything i could all ways i get a same error (The iphone could not be restored This device isn’t eligible for the requested build) now i need help please thanks, I tried many time to get ON my device but is is in recovery mood, I am stuck to working my phone in original position.

Chris
March 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM

it means ur baseband is updated. the restore was succesful but the frimware isnt adapted to that new baseband. just put it into dfu mode then reset it to boot normally and it will work.

simon
April 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I can not save the hosts-file after paste in the "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com". i get a message when i trying to save that says contact admin to save or something. I have one user on my pc, and then i have to be admin, but i can still not save the file, do you know what im going to do?

William Eks
August 27, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Ok, i have SHSHs save on Cydia from 3.1 to 4.0.1.
I had a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3GS running 3.0.1 but decided to give 3.1.2 a try. Turnes out the 3.1.2 blows more than having a iPad and running a fake iPhone app on it to fool your friends of having a REAL iPhone!!!

Anywho, I tried ALL ways that i found on google and guess what, none of them tell you what to do when you get an error from iTunes that says "Your iPhone is not eligible for the requested build"

Can anyone post a solution/resolution to this problem?