Home » » Will AT&T be able to handle iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS MMS traffic on Friday?

Will AT&T be able to handle iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS MMS traffic on Friday?

Written By Hans Berger on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 | 5:03 PM

AT&T: iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS MMS

Tomorrow AT&T will be releasing Picture/Video messaging aka MMS to iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS users. According to AT&T's Facebook page, MMS will be enabled on late morning, Pacific time, on Friday.

AT&T will be issuing a carrier update through iTunes (not a firmware update) in order to enable MMS. A carrier update file will only be a few kilobytes so it won't take long for iPhone users to add MMS functionality. Many of our readers have been lucky enough to already enable MMS on AT&T iPhone 3G/3GS 3.1 using a guide I posted a couple of days ago.

Millions of users are expected to be using MMS on their iPhone tomorrow. While many AT&T users are excited about MMS, there are some users who are not excited about this for fear of AT&T's network slowing or possibly going down. Will AT&T be able to handle all the MMS traffic, or will they go down? Let us know how you feel about MMS coming to the iPhone tomorrow, and whether or not you think AT&T will be able to handle all the traffic.

Ron
September 23, 2009 at 5:32 PM

I wish they wouldn't release it officially. I've had mms on my iPhone for a while now. Come friday, nothing will change for me in a good way at all.

GreezyG
September 23, 2009 at 5:32 PM

MMS seems to be active here in Austin, TX. We got about 6 people at work going. Later in the day we noticed it taking much longer to send and then receive the MMS.

nathan
September 23, 2009 at 5:57 PM

@tim dude quit being a dick. GreezyG said it fine. you just want to feel like a man by pushing others down. you fail sir.

Shadraak
September 23, 2009 at 7:13 PM

But is there going to be a 3.1 jb for windows by then?

Seigo
September 23, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I think it will be cool.if they couldn't Handel it then they should have came up with a way to relese it diffrent. And if it don't work they should shut mms down(for users that do t have it) and have a update sent to cells in the order of peoples numbers. Kinda like when ya get a stimulas by ssn.I dint know I think tomorrow might have some ups and downs.....

Vitaliy
September 23, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I doubt it that AT&T could handle it. They forgot about iPhone 2G that are jailbroken could add a patch to have MMS functionality. So from Friday, it won't be just iPhone 3G/3G[s].

>>Gothom
September 23, 2009 at 8:27 PM

AT&T will be just fine. They have prepared for this day for months if not longer.

Ericb
September 23, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Will it work on a 3.01 jailbroken phone?

hookemhorns
September 23, 2009 at 9:20 PM

mms will work on 3.0.1 i have 3g 8g on 3.0.1 and 3g 8g on 3.1 both jailbroken working fine. everyone will need to be patient come release day you will experience slow transfers depending on where you live.

David
September 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Does a phone have to be running 3.1 for this to work? Cause I'm keeping my 3.0.1 jailbroken until there's an official 3.1 3GS jailbreak.

flirtsquirt
September 23, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I don't get the MMS frenzy. You can email the pics n video without it already.

Patrick
September 23, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Mms is working for me and I'm on 3.0.1 jailbroken .

Patrick
September 23, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Well what I mean to say is mine just started working for me this morning . I do have a question though. Will the carrier update effect our vvm because I got my hack from sinfuliphone and my vvm is still jacked .

Phantom Wraith
September 24, 2009 at 12:05 AM

It says carrier update so 3.0, 3.0.1, and 3.1 will all work.

AT&T Sucks
September 24, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Okay, AT&T will be down. Watch the people who don't want to f*** around with MMS but still want reliable data (oh wait... AT&T is not reliable) will be fu****d while jack*** will be MMSing poor jokes and spam across the AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint networks from iPhone 3G/3gs

Richmondyayarea
September 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM

@Flirtsquirt theres a big difference, lets say you wanna send a picture or somethinf to
your girlfriend, what is she does not have an email, or a phone with that capability. Its just a benifit.

Richmondyayarea
September 24, 2009 at 12:45 AM

And i hope AT&T can handle it, because if not, AT&T blows

Phantom Wraith
September 24, 2009 at 12:47 AM

I'm wondering if the 3g can send video, only one way to find out. We can edit video (3.1) it saves to the camera roll.

Phantom Wraith
September 24, 2009 at 12:51 AM

I've gad MMS for several weeks now, i just hope the reliability is the same.

Rico
September 24, 2009 at 1:29 AM

What I wonder is how iTunes is gonna let u do a carrier update without upgrading to 3.1 cuz I don't want 3.1 till I can jailbreak 3gs on windows hopefully this can be done without going 3.1 does anyone know for sure?

September 24, 2009 at 1:29 AM

If ATT is this scared they should release it by time zones or something. We've been without it for a couple years, I don't think waiting an hour or two longer than "Joe" will kill anyone if it promises good results.

September 24, 2009 at 1:55 AM

I have always had Verizon service, but with the Iphone on AT&T it is just insulting to Apple the crap US AT&T customers put up with. Verizon's network could handle the traffic

Joey
September 24, 2009 at 2:17 AM

I want to someone to tell me how to Jailbreak this freaking phone.

Joey
September 24, 2009 at 2:17 AM

I am pretty sure it will slow the network, but AT&T has to know that will happen. In other words, I think they will be able to resolve the issue fairly quickly. If not, the new MMS release will be pointless and disappointing.

Matt
September 24, 2009 at 2:49 AM

1. Not everyone will download the update right away.
2. Not everyone will want to send pictures right away. Those that do have already unlocked it on their phone
3. AT&T can handle all the other phones on their network already sending mms
4. Mms has been on the iPhone for a while the US is the only county that dosent right now. They have spent several months getting it ready

Dacus80
September 24, 2009 at 2:49 AM

MMS is working on my iphone 3g now and seems to be fine! I updated the carrier settings and downloaded the IPCC file. It has been pretty much flawless for I have been using it quite a bit. Are we going to be able to shoot video on the 3g? That is my only question!!

Robert
September 24, 2009 at 3:01 AM

I think ATT gave a lame excuse about why there was a delay in enabling MMS, because before people had a iPhone they had a previous cell phone that had MMS. MMS has been available for years, long before the iPhone hit the scene.
Hopefully if ATT made real improvements we'll see better 3G performance.

Makiitnes
September 24, 2009 at 3:18 AM

I don't think they would FINALLY release it after all these years if they couldn't handle the traffic. This has been a long time comin & I'm hoping it goes smoothly or there will be a lot of turmoil AT&T will have to deal with. Don't think they would be able to handle that.

Nymphilis
September 24, 2009 at 3:36 AM

I think ppl tend to forget, over the last couple of years since the iPhone has been released, we have streamed video, emailed mass emails, texted, and ran our web browsers, all of those combined on the ATT network take so much more then mms...the data transfered for mms is about the same for a 1.5 min YouTube clip....since the iPhone formats the picture taken into a jpeg file in a small resolution, so that's around a 1mb picture maybe 5mb at the most depending on the detail....AT&T won't have a problem

Joshua
September 24, 2009 at 3:53 AM

AT&T held mms because there network is so reliable. Now is the moment of truth can they handle MMS. It will probably be as reliable as there 3G service.

TAGVoar
September 24, 2009 at 5:39 AM

I figure it isn't going to be a problem. I expect the network to be slow, but I always expect that, so I don't think there will be a huge difference. Perhaps on Saturday when more people will be out and about, especial children, sending mass MMS texts... Just my two cents.

Debone
September 24, 2009 at 5:54 AM

Do u no when the 3.1 eta is

Debone
September 24, 2009 at 5:58 AM

Jailbreak sorry 3.1 jailbreak for windows

daniel
September 24, 2009 at 6:38 AM

ive been having mms for about a week now its really simple to do

Crack it
September 24, 2009 at 7:40 AM

look we should get MMS for free because we iPhone users pay for an unlimited data plan and photo messeging falls user the catagorie of data so At&t go F*** yourselves

Hans
September 24, 2009 at 7:43 AM

MMS is free!

marcBee
September 24, 2009 at 9:18 AM

i got MMS THIS MORNING :]
EVERYTHING SEEMS SMOOTH DOESNT TAKE A LONG TIME ABOUT 5 SECONDS TO SEND

Julian Warren
September 24, 2009 at 9:58 AM

No they won't release video recording through a carrier setting update it's impossible to release that in such a small memory file

Phantom Wraith
September 24, 2009 at 10:15 AM

I was told by my ATT store that it is only 3GS users who get it free, I have an unlimited texting plan for all phones on by bill so I can't actually test this.

Joker
September 24, 2009 at 12:09 PM

I think I will n I have the iPhone 3g n I can't wait 2 send pics n if AT&T don't let out mms 4 the phone the I'll get a deff phone or I'll go loco lol

Kyle
September 24, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I think it's a bunch of bull about the Internet tethering!! They should have been preparing for that to as well! Just watch it's going to be like after Christmas or something later new years? This is what is holding me on
not canceling my home phone and home Internet and just going with iPhones. All
I need is Internet tethering!

steve
September 24, 2009 at 5:07 PM

how did you get it already?

MacBook1300
September 24, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I think as long as the pic / video file your sending isn't to big it AT&T should be able to handle the traffic oh and about time I'm still waiting for a 3gs 3.1 jailbreak any help out there thanks.

Dj xcite
September 24, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Lol sent a pic

Vyratech
September 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Hey people i just sent a mms message to my wifes verizon phone. It took about 30 seconds to leave my phone and about 15 seconds to reach her verizon network. Hopefully it stays this way jaja

Falisha Forgash
September 24, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Did you do the actual carrier update or did you do the hack?

Cris
September 24, 2009 at 9:15 PM

It's working fine. Here in puerto rico 3GS 16gb no JB

Art
September 24, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Well, it's September 25th and I just plugged my iphone in and no update.

Where do I find this mysterious MMS carrier update?

I CAN NOT WAIT until iphone goes to Verizon. I will be one of the first to jump ship!

Xcrash
September 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM

We should all send a mms at 10 am central time, test the mighty ATT!

Jeff
September 25, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Alright just curious if anyone knows the answer to this. I have a Iphone 3gs runnging 3.01. I am not upgrading to 3.1 until a jailbreak solution is out and the rumors of all the 3.1 problems go away. Anyhow just wondering if I will be able to recieve the MMS update without having to upgrade to 3.1 at this time? My carrier setting is AT&T 4.0 currently

rocjarz
September 25, 2009 at 2:03 AM

I installed the update that on this site , i can receive pictures now but still will not send them

Joker
September 25, 2009 at 5:43 AM

I just got mms now it fast n cool

xclusive
September 25, 2009 at 8:24 AM

mms working in chicago. no video