Home » » PS3 3.0 Update now available for download

PS3 3.0 Update now available for download

Written By Unknown on Monday, August 31, 2009 | 5:31 PM

As promised, Sony has finally released the PS3 3.0 Update for Playstation 3 users. This is just in time for the PlayStation 3 Slim 120 GB which was PS 3 3.0 update - Playstation 3officially released in the US today. Go to System Updates from your XMB to download and install the PS3 3.0 update.

What's new in the PS3 3.0 update?

Read below to see the list of new features in PS 3 3.0 firmware:

• XMB has been slightly redesigned

• The info board has been replaced with "What's New". It will come up as first thing when you start up your PS3, and will be updated regularly.

• The Playstation Store icon has been added in the Games section.

• There's a video icon that will take you to the video section of the Playstation Store.

• There are sparkles bouncing on the background. If you don't like the new look of the XMB, you can switch to the old classic look in the Theme section.

• Upper right hand section of the screen has avatar, friend icon and number of friends online, and a piece of mail if you have any messages waiting from any friends on the Playstation Network. Underneath that you have a ticker showing the latest news from the Playstation Network.

• Ability for developers to create dynamic themes. You'll see a lot of these coming out in the Playstation Store in the next few months.

• A tremendous amount of free and premium avatars will be available through the Playstation Store.

• And more...

If you downloaded and installed the PS3 3.0 update, feel free to share any new features you find in the comments.

maan_27
August 31, 2009 at 5:56 PM

hmmm...........i still love my xbox360!

abid
August 31, 2009 at 6:18 PM

love the sparkles!!!

Captain Obvious
August 31, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Hmmm..... Your still a ****** ***!

freddyb
August 31, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I HATE THE NEW UPDATE! U CANT LISTEN 2 MUSIC WHILE ON THE INTERNET!

August 31, 2009 at 8:00 PM

i can play and listen to music while on the internet

chiffmonkey
August 31, 2009 at 8:14 PM

What video link to the store? and the game one does the same as the normal one. Copy paste is useful but wheres these custom themes and new avatars sony?

August 31, 2009 at 8:24 PM

i like that boom boom boom yea boom boom boom KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

August 31, 2009 at 8:26 PM

XBOX is gay and OLD yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea

August 31, 2009 at 9:22 PM

this is a sick update

Jason
August 31, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Does anyone know a site where can i donwload the new update because i have wirless and it will take me ages to download it from my ps3 ???????

Jafo
August 31, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Still no real integrated e-mail client?

Wald
August 31, 2009 at 10:44 PM

360 already has all this stuff?

James Fisher
August 31, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I only got my playstation 3 on August 9, and already i am completely in love with it, even more so now the update has come, it contains bbc i player, and loads of other cool features.

Fanboys R Morons
August 31, 2009 at 11:06 PM

You really took the time to come here and be a "my system is better than yours" troll? How sad, sorry, and lonely you must be.

Hector
August 31, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Xbox 360 crushes ps3 it's only good for a blu ray player

Funkychopsta
August 31, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Captain obvious yr a ******. It's only an opionion for f**ks sake.

360 is a way better online experience than psn.

As a owner of both (and I'm not a Microsoft fanboy before any of u Fu**ers) start)

the 360 is way more interactive with better features, usability and content

LAW
September 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM

@ Funkychopsta

You are just as bad as Captain Obvious by acting the way he did. No need for immature language and scoffs.

Now on the 360 is better than PS3......nope
PS3 kills 360 in every aspect. The only feature worth mentioning on the 360 is Netflix.

I own 360, Wii, PS3, DSi, and PSP

Mazyod
September 1, 2009 at 1:31 AM

LOL, I was eagerly waiting for the 3.0 update... like WOW !! Three point O, it took my iphone to a completely different level, what will sony do?!

....

......

sparkles? LOL, so much for a MAJOR update..

USELESS!! xD

but still waiting for uncharted 2, totally awesome :D

Colin
September 1, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Gotta love the damn 360 fanboys coming here...

I own both a PS3 and a 360 and while I use my 360 more for gaming I also love my PS3. The only thing I'm really waiting for on it is the ability to watch Netflix Instant Watch which is supposedly coming in November.

RaRayTheJetPlane
September 1, 2009 at 3:24 AM

I like the "Whats New" screen, still checking it out.

I have both systems and must say the PS3 is more versitale, better graphics and has never locked up, cant say the same for the XBLOB.

maan_27
September 1, 2009 at 5:41 AM

I tried the PS3, i am not saying its bad but i prefer 360.
Anyways how come apple doesn't have a gaming console? Or is there one which i have no clue about?

doink
September 1, 2009 at 6:57 AM

maan_27 ps3 is way better then 360

mjdied
September 1, 2009 at 6:57 AM

the ps3 is way better then the xboxx360

Cj
September 1, 2009 at 7:09 AM

Xbox is very inferior to ps3 is just that xbox got more resources to fiddle with thats the only highlight of the 360

September 1, 2009 at 7:24 AM

[...] the new PS3 3.0 update, Sony has added PS3 Dynamic Themes in the PSN store. Currently there is only one dynamic theme [...]

September 1, 2009 at 9:18 AM

oh great news really great! I'm downloading it now! i was surprised about the update. I haven't heard the news. The last time I logged in in my PS3 was August 30, I never tot it has an updated after a day. Nice... so nice! :)J

LYNX-79
September 1, 2009 at 9:34 AM

cant listen to music while on brower!! its a down grade!

Turn
September 1, 2009 at 11:13 AM

PS3 is way better, the Xbox is already obsolete and needs to go away. The PS3 is Waaaay more reliable

dislodge
September 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Sure you can, I'm doing it as I type this on my PS3 with the new update.

Adrian
September 1, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I am a bit confused about Sony's understanding of major update. How much time do you guys spend in the XMB? Anyone having a ps3 probably knows what each icon does already, descriptions for each? Is that a major improvement? How much time does one spend looking at his own avatar? How about the sparkles? Theme? I watch movies, play games and watch online TV. XMB is about 1% of the time I use the ps3. So Sony just improved 1% of my experience? How delightful!

The ONLY feature I find useful is the ability to output audio on both optical and HDMI at the same time. I can now listen to online TV (monaural) through my TV instead of the unneeded 5.1 theater.

Thanks,
Adrian

Drew
September 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM

The new 3.0 update is thoroughly underwhelming. Like the above poster said, I use the PS3 to watch movies, play games, and listen to music... the 3.0 release improves none of these activities. What it does do is give me a much more cluttered interface with two added PSN store icons and extra-extra large fonts and icons to make getting to my movies, games and music a little less sleek than before. I'd much prefer something like a decent web browser or a more nuanced music player app than useless stuff like sparkles and animated wallpapers.

buszuj
September 1, 2009 at 6:06 PM

you just need to change the music output frequency in settings to 48 kHz.

Settings -> Music Settings -> Output Frequency -> 48kHz

brianv
September 2, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Im sorry but if you think the ps3 has a better interface. then you are funny! I can easily find what I want to download on my xbox 360 more then I can on the ps3. XMB is cool and I like it on my bravia display but it just not good enough. And xbox live kicks psn ass when it comes to online play. And Its not like Im going to dies paying 50 a year for a superior online service. I have both consoles and a wii.

fool
September 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM

THANK YOU!!! i was totally pissed when i couldn't check my msgs while listening to music... or do ANYTHING while listening to music.

fool
September 2, 2009 at 2:42 PM

wurd.

chelseaash
September 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM

very pleased with the update.
most of the xbox fanboys say about how XBL is better than PSN, the biggest reason to why they complain is because Playstation network seems harder to win for the 360 players this is because it is mostly for hardened gamers. and not people like bill gates :L jk.

But 3.0 does look nice in 1080p.

iamyourmaster
September 2, 2009 at 7:05 PM

i am better then both of the consoles

September 3, 2009 at 5:28 AM

obsolete? In what way? With its voice messages, anywhere part chat, no installations on demos... I could go on...

September 3, 2009 at 5:31 AM

lmfao, everytime I get on PSN the lack of skill surprises me. Explain why Major League Gaming never considered Playstation... because all the pros prefer Xbox

chelseaash
September 3, 2009 at 7:50 AM

paid*

chelseaash
September 3, 2009 at 7:50 AM

probly cause they get paind by microsoft.

Shercham
September 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM

To all those clowns bashing the playstation 3 and it's network must be out your goddamn minds. I own all three console and there's no way that the xbox 360 can shine a candle to the ps3. The xbox is great, does it have a web browser? Can you copy movies wirelessly to it from your computer? When I think about how versatile the ps3 its xbox conterpart I would shudder to think given a choice someone would buy that error prone xbox. I own one because I love me some halo and gears.

Chris
September 3, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Apple *DID* have a console. Called the Pippin..

WAY ahead of it's time, but did have flaws.

RYAMIX
September 4, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Please stop this whole wars nonsense! It's kinda retarded! We both play games.
............
LMAO
ps3 kicks ass!
Naw jk!
I wouldn't know cuz I don't own a 360
but if you own a 360 and not a ps3, STFU!
and "I played it at my cousins house" doesn't fucking count!
Also vice-versa for the ps3 fans!
I wanna know which is better from an educated mind who has experienced both consoles well enough to reach a decision.
Not some 360 owner who's a Microsoft geek who went to his cousins house then noticed he had a ps3 then bashed on it the entire time!
Btw I like the information board better. The "what's new" is kinda confusing
can sum1 explain what the 3 sections are for?
Also can sum1 explain what cross game-chat is?

zippyonline1
September 4, 2009 at 2:34 AM

ok you can now see your internet speed under network setting
2. you can use Rigth stick for super slow on dvds blu-rays
3. if you get yol then just press start till you hear 3 beeps you'll find a new screen where you can then reboot
4 you can now copy & paste (hold X down and move over a word to copy it)
5 you can save screen shots
6 your xbl goes darker at night
7 your games load faster eg no more ps3 logos on loading

September 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM

i have both and they both have good points.

Ben
September 7, 2009 at 4:13 AM

3.0 is okay, not much added that would really make you say "wow."
I herd some rumors when it first came out that it was causing some games to crash. Never had a problem . . . until today.
The rumor ARE true, some games will crash on you and make you have to turn your system off and the on again.

@man_27 - I don't think Apple needs a system, while there are already 3 major system fighting for their lives out there.

Kyle
September 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM

Uhm you consider those highlights ? The voice message sounds interesting , but we have actual rooms on the ps3 that can hold up to 6 live cameras and obviously voice - not partial - as long as you wish. It's also available Person to Person in Home , and in the Apartments it's proximity based voice chat free - did I mention that it's all free. Everyone is Platinum (lol) PS3 Member when they go online. We too have movies just not with the brand name Netflix - which is a purchase by purchase basis none of that monthly billing you'd find on 360 - The best audio converter and depending on where you put the sound to be played the best sound, blue disc player often thought as an add just for high definition movies - PS3 uses BluRay on it's disc based games :) oh yeah. You can upload photos there's software to make your photo's look like Picasso or like a Yearbook photo - A WEB BROWSER (Hi, I'm visiting with my PS3 right this instant as I listen to my music I have over 500 tracks uploaded so far...Need I go on?

joey
September 9, 2009 at 4:01 AM

Biggest thing they have done which not all will realise is that subfolders are now supported. So if you have folders within folders you can access those files within them. not sure how far deep the subfolders can be, but before they wouldnt even let you go down once. Now all my Photos can be in the same filing system as my pc.
Best bit, for me anyway.

tech trogieee
September 11, 2009 at 2:54 AM

so.....u tell me....i think the ps3 is a more powerfull system...why??? blu-ray...more info....where and which developers of games have soooo....much more room 2 play with...its all most like having a BLACKHOLE for information but with a threshold some were....

mac
September 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM

The 3.0 or 3.01 doesn't leave a problem to my ps3.. its gives upgrade and more detailed to the game graphics actually..I just hope the next update on ps3 continue gives game on ps3 a more smooth,detailed, and realistic to the graphics other than other consoles..because for me graphics and game exclusive that's makes ps3 a next gen and also a future gen gaming and entertainment home consoles..