Home » » Oleophobic Coating on iPhone 3GS

Oleophobic Coating on iPhone 3GS

Written By Hans Berger on Sunday, August 9, 2009 | 1:52 PM

While I was looking at the iPhone 3GS specs on Apple's website I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. The new iPhone 3GS Apple introduced in Oleophobic CoatingJune has a finger-print resistant oleophobic coating, unlike the other iPhone and iPod Touch models that don't.

What is Oleophobic coating?

If you have oily fingers and you touch a touchscreen smartphone, your fingerprints will appear all over your screen. With the oleophobic coating your iPhone 3GS is supposed to be fingerprint resistant.

Oleopohobic Coating Wearing OffOleophobic Coating Wearing Off - iPhone Overheating

I did a search and noticed that in July there was a report of someone's oleophobic coating wearing off. Apparently this person left his iPhone 3GS out in the hot weather for a long period of time and that caused the oleophobic coating to wear off.

How to protect your Oleophobic Coating from Wearing Off

Apple advises that you don't put your iPhone 3GS in a car where temperatures are in the  -20C to 45C range.

How to Clean your Oleophobic Coating

Apple explains this in their user guide:
Simply wipe your iPhone’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands and face.

[via Apple]

junix ledesma
August 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM

does exposing your iphone to cold temperature for a long period of time (overnight in an airconditioned room) have the same adverse affects?

Andy
August 9, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Furbs
August 10, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Would a screen protector damage the coating??

Josh
August 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I have the Zagg invisableshield on mine will it get damaged?

john
August 11, 2009 at 8:24 AM

can i buy a can of oleophobic at walmart and spray my phone. lol

keitan
August 16, 2009 at 4:19 AM

bullshit

iTim87
August 19, 2009 at 4:33 PM

iTim87
August 19, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Does jailbraeking help the overheating problem?? email me @ tgillahan2008@live.com

maan_27
August 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM

LOL

Rhemler
August 31, 2009 at 9:56 AM

A nice feature or what ever you want to call it, but it's just another thing to go wrong. Coatings don't last forever.

Alex
November 10, 2009 at 6:36 AM

The heck u talking about one guy in july 1 case 1 this 1 that. bullshit do ur research theres tons of people whos coating is and has came off. my coating came off too here email me ill send u all the pics u want 1066799@gmail.com and i didnt leave it in the car or in the hot sun so quit the crap. its a coating its not permanent it comes off just like anything else its called "wear and tear". does your wax on your car always stay there. no.