Home » » iPhone jailbreaking increases from 8.00% to 8.43%

iPhone jailbreaking increases from 8.00% to 8.43%

Written By Hans Berger on Friday, August 7, 2009 | 10:13 AM

Apple recently posted a document on their support site and tried to scare away people from jailbreaking. According to an iPhone analytics company, Pinch Media, the percentage of unique users using jailbroken iPhones went up from 8.0% to 8.43% in the week of July 26,2009. The percentage of sessions from jailbroken iPhones also increased from 6.2% to 6.65%.

Last week Apple removed the GV Mobile App,  rejected the official Google Voice App, and banned all other  Google Voice Apps from the App Store. The developer of GV Mobile, Sean Kovacs was not happy about this so he decided to add his application for free on Cydia. I'm not sure if this caused the increase in jailbroken iPhones last week, but I wouldn't be surprised.

You can take a look at the graphs Pinch Media published in their recent newsletter below. Did you jailbreak your iPhone because of Apple's rejection of the Google Voice app? Leave your comments below.

Unique Users by Jailbroken Status

Sessons by Jailbroken Status

[via Just Another iPhone Blog, and Pinch Media Newsletter]

Matt
August 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Yeah, more like 1% decrease. Now don't get me wrong, I love my Jailbroken 3G but when it disentangle work they way I would like it to, I get frustrated. And flustered. Thank you.

Kurt
August 7, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Well that's quite a Percentage. Considering there are 20 million iPhone out there being used

Mario
August 7, 2009 at 10:58 AM

haha damn..... jailbraking rules!! im glad more people are getting their iphones jailbroken! its not that im against apple, but the iphone sucks if it aint jailbroken! GO HACKERS!!

PeeCee
August 7, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Be interesting to know the percentage of unlocked iPhones too! Mines jailbroken and unlocked because I do not agree with the monopoly O2 has in the UK with the iPhone thus allowing them to keep their tarrifs high.

Raul grijalba
August 7, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Man **** apple i hate those **********

Tavis
August 7, 2009 at 11:05 AM

That's exactly why I jailbroke mine :).

Beluga-love
August 7, 2009 at 11:11 AM

It's just sad to see those kids jailbreaking iPhones thinking they are 'sticking it to the man' when in fact they already pushed apple $600 up Apple's ass (unless they mugged somebody else for it) and the the only people who will feel the pinch are the developers whose games have been cracked. Way to go bozos…

spoonforknife
August 7, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Jailbreaking increased by 18.6%. Failure.

18.43-18 = 0.43
18/0.43 = 18.6%

spoonforknife
August 7, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Are you so ignorant to think that jailbreaking is solely for cracked applications. It's far from it.

TonyP
August 7, 2009 at 1:00 PM

When I had my WinMo device (an HTC Wizard) I had it both application unlocked and SIM unlocked. I loved the ability to customise it and missed this when I got my iPhone. After Apple's recent actions though, I took the plunge so that I could use Google Voice. I would have gladly paid for the app but felt I had no choice. With the HTC Hero being released Android is looking better all the time.

Psychoboy1964
August 7, 2009 at 1:48 PM

The Iphone isn't worth it till it's jailbroke! Now it's my phone the way I like it.

prostovanka
August 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM

My iPhone Has been broken since July of 2008. The new 3G|S is J.B'n also. Apple iPhone is a Powerful Tool and has Great potential. Imagine if your Mac or PC couldn't or sorry wouldnt be permitted to install what ever you wanted on it to have more functionality. I think If I buy a Civic and if Honda tells me I cant put new RIMS on it I would give them the FINGER and get me nice new shiny Rims.

Corprate @$$ Holes can Suck on it.

No dout we do thank them for making iPhone happen but as far as telling us what we can or cant do well im sorry but as the Jr. High Phrase goes "You're Not my Mama."

Besides that I encourage every one that has an iPhone to JailBreak just because there are soo much things that your phone has the capacity to do but isnt allowed.

1. Free Ringtones: Straight from your phone.
2. Five Icon Dock
3. Winterboard : Themes
4. Video Recorder for the 3G and the 2G iPhone
5. 3GUnristrector: Tells Programs like Skype/Nimbuz/App Store that they are on WiFi even when they arent so that we can Call over 3G etc.
6. GV Mobile: Really Great Application for GoogleVoice service.
7. Just Google "why should i jailbreak my iphone" Good Luck and every one Enjoy ur Phone.

Btw you can also download Torrents etc if u JB :P

prostovanka
August 7, 2009 at 2:09 PM

"My iPhone Has been>>>JAIL<<<<< broken since"

Sorry skipped Jail when i said broken. So no my iPhone is not broken and never was.

Hans
August 7, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Fixed. Thanks!

Beluga-love
August 7, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I never said that 'jailbreaking is solely for cracked applications'. It just happens to be used for it and in effect it requires it. But that was of course not the point I was making. So, sorry mate, fail, try reading again.

August 8, 2009 at 2:33 AM

how the hell do u know how many ppl jailbroke?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Rob
August 8, 2009 at 7:06 AM

I swear, if 1 more person uses the words fail, failure or epic fail as plural again im going to shoot a small kitten in the face...

-__-

JohnnyB
August 8, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Fail. Oops a kitten just died!

Alex
August 8, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Time has changed. Apple is forbidding iPhone users to install Google Voice app on the device. They decided to take it off App Store. Why? Just because.
This smart phone is essentially a computer with operating system and an ability to install third party software like any other computer. When I called Apple, tech support representative informed me that Apple does not have to explain why they are forbidding me to install Google apps after I purchased device planning to use it with Google Voice. She also informed me that App Store is like any other store has right to choose what they put on their shelves.
Well, I respect their choice, but the last time I checked in my neighborhood mall none of their stores are FORBIDING me to use products from anywhere else but from their store. Does Apple respect my choice? Communist China government did not dare to make Lenovo give me a list of software I can install on my laptop. Lenovo respects my choice because they know what will happen with their laptops if they would try to deny this choice to people in free world.
Just imagine what would happen if Microsoft make an agreement with Comcast and set up a list of software you are allowed to install. What if they allow you to connect to internet only through Comcast? What if Comcast decides they not like some software and a week later Microsoft would FORBID using it without any meaningful explanation? That would definitely be considered mafia-like behavior and nobody would tolerate it.
We are not tolerating this behavior neither from China, US government, Microsoft, nor from Comcast. For how long are we going to tolerate this behavior from Apple? I erased my iPhone, I smashed it with hammer and I will send it on Monday to Steve Jobs, c/o Apple 1 Infinite Loop Cupertino, CA 95014
Time has changed.

Love iPhone Hate Apple
August 8, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Apple is breaking so many US laws about restricting people from unlocking their phones. Phones come unlocked in other countries, why can't these billion dollar conservatives allow people to use the products we purchased as we want?

A YeTr
August 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I know the costs of the manufacturing of my device has already well been recuperated by Apple due to contracts with the wireless provider. I know that I am also giving even more money to my wireless provider to continue to use the forcibly locked service.
What I will like even more is if/when I go to another wireless service, or decide to do something else with the phone other than what is currently allowed, ie: create/install other 3rd party apps that for some reason, Apple has deemed not worth of availability via AppStore. It should be my choice what I want installed on the device which, for all extensive purposes, is my property. I really do wish apple and their wireless affiliates in their respected geographical locations didn't make it so challenging to do as I please with my iPhone. But ehh, there is always someone else who wants to do the opposite.

Your hammer is a tool. It can install and remove nails, thats what it was more or less designed to do. That won't stop someone from using it for another purpose. Sadly, some of those other possible purposes are detrimental to society. And there will always be someone who uses it in an immoral way.

Flaming Llama
August 9, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Hey where's the quickPWN jailbreaking thing!? J want to jailbreak my iPod but I can't find the quickpwn thing! Help!!!