Home » » Apple looking in to reports of exploding iPhones and iPod Touches

Apple looking in to reports of exploding iPhones and iPod Touches

Written By Unknown on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 | 4:42 AM

Caution: iPhone will explode soonThere have been at least three cases of exploding iPhones and iPod Touches this year. A 15 year old boy's iPod Touch exploded, melted his underwear and burned his leg. An 11 year old girl's iPod Touch exploded, and Apple offered her a refund but required her to keep quiet about it. The most recent case was when ateenager in France was playing with his girlfriend's iPhone, and it exploded.

A spokesmen from Apple Europe Ltd said that they will examine the exploded iPhones or iPod Touches and try to find out why they exploded once they receive them. Stay tuned, I'll be making a post once Apple has examined and reported more information on the exploded iPhones/iPod Touches.

[via Reuters]

Diamondshark
August 19, 2009 at 4:51 AM

It's about time they look into this. My theory is that one of the 3 battery cables are coming loose and tubing against another wire.

Zebracakes
August 19, 2009 at 6:48 AM

I agree with diamond shark.. But at the same time I think it has to do with 3.0.... There have been overheating issues with this update as well as the 3gs. Something to do with that is a possibility or even imporper use. Some of this could still be a bunch of horse crap people are making up. Regardless if mine
blows up I'll just demand a new one and a full refund to keep quite haha.. Maybe a new car. Who knows.

Devres
August 19, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Now it's only a matter of time before either apple looks bad or these people who say their iPhones blew up look bad..either way I'd like to see the outcome of all this

THE_SE7EN_SINS
August 19, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I think it could be something with 3.0 I mean I've never heard of an iPod touch or iPhone melting going nuclear at all, maybe with the fix of push data and the over all speed might be too much for them, I've seen people over clock their computers processors which maybe them burn up. Maybe that's what's going on here, over clocked processors, a lot of incomeing data, would make a fine bomb.. But honestly if my iPod or iPhone explode.. I'll be in the Apple Store in a heart beat.

Peanut
August 19, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Well..aha, that's if your heart is still beating after it blows up! But seriously, if my iPod Blew up..i would sue apples ass! Demand an iMac, a unreleased version of their 3rd gen iPod..and maybe an iPhone!

juan
August 19, 2009 at 1:28 PM

they better not give them more than a refund, cus then evryone will want their device to explode and you know what that means...

Jim
August 19, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Melted through his underwear? I've never heard if cloth melting before... Why is this 15 year old boy wearing rubber underwear?

maan_27
August 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Where exactly did apple release these statements???
I demand a link to a trusted site, is this info available on apples website? If there are no concrete proofs then this is just a hoax!

dtn151
August 19, 2009 at 11:47 PM

@ maan_27
I have proof of iphone explode in the following link http://kenh14.vn/c31/t7/2009081204175667/iphone-phat-no-tai-viet-nam.chn
Because it happened in Viet Nam so the news in vietnamese not English. Have some pics thou. Hope you enjoy :D

Penut is right
August 20, 2009 at 3:15 AM

penut is right i would sue apple and demand a iphone and a unreleased ipod

Kiz
August 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM

It was a planned US attack :D

Curt
August 24, 2009 at 6:15 PM

our iphone are bombs.. world war 3 is upon us.
our pockets are lined with mini deathstars..

maan_27
August 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Okay very much concrete, but i still think that the explosion could be due to some other factor, a NON-APPLE FACTOR. I mean someone could have tried to burn it up or was messing around with it.
If its a hardware or even a software problem.....shouldn't all our iphones/ipods be exploding then?

Sorry for the late reply, was out of country.
Thanks alot for the link. Appreciated!

Rushdan
August 27, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Damn! I'm callin' the bomb squad, man... had 'em prep and ready coz l think my iPhone 3GS gonna explode anytime! Help me, mother of Jesus! Help me Allah! Spare my soul Jehovah! I ain't gonna walk thru' the valley of shadows in Israel, I'm scared to be mistaken as those Arab suicidal bombers!

Maclin
August 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Aculy my iPod touch has been getting really hot latly after 3.0

Andrew
March 16, 2010 at 8:56 AM

My 4 week old iphone 3gs 32gb screen wobbled then went blank. started getting hotter and hotter, to the point i had trouble holding it. I had heard previous peoples Iphones poping so got a bit paniky and ripped it apart, as it would have burst with the amount of heat it was producing. Lo and behold, because I took it apart, apple don't want to know. Idependant checks have identified the problem as one of the battery wires coming loose and shorting out the phones battery. I still have the pieces and am in process of sueing apple. The sunday mirror are also going to do an article on the iphone soon, so watch this space