Home » » Beware of Exploding iPod Touches!

Beware of Exploding iPod Touches!

Written By Hans Berger on Sunday, August 2, 2009 | 7:23 PM

One month ago Ken Stanborough of Liverpool, UK dropped his 11-year old daughter's iPod Touch.
It made a hissing noise,” he said. “I could feel it getting hotter in my hand, and I thought I could see vapour”

Mr. Stanborough made a wise decision and threw his iPod Touch out the back door. 30 seconds later there was a pop and a big puff of smoke and the iPod Touch went up 10 feet in the air. Fortunately Mr. Stanborough and his daughter were not injured. You can read the rest of this story at Times Online.

This is not the first case of an exploding iPod Touch. Earlier this year, a 15-year-old boy's iPod Touch (second generation) which was switched off exploded in his pants, melted his underwear and burned his legs (read the full story on CNet).

I don't know what could have caused these iPod Touches to explode. Perhaps it was the battery. Whatever it was, I just want to make this post to alert other iPhone or iPod Touch users that their iPhone or iPod Touch, although it is rare, can explode at any time if you're not careful with it! You've been warned. Get a Zune.

Exploding iPod Touch

[via Techmeme]

Steve
August 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM

The last sentence was not required... there's no need to bring in competitors and spark up another debate.
This is a warning post/public safety announcement, so let's stick to that.

Daniel
August 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I would laugh if the comment above was Steve jobs patrolling jailbreaking... Tbh mr Steve is a intelligent man he's the one who with his father made the first personal computer (not Microsoft) but also he brings himself down by making stupid rules and regulations about what we buy. That's why it says "get a zune"

Now to the point

exploding touches and iPhones don't suprise me anymore the battery / processor has no way to ventilate and it may be bad battery design afterall!!!
Now mr jobs u should let us exchange batterys on our own without voiding warrenty...

maan_27
August 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM

And i just think this is an another attempt to defame apple!

Sixpounder
August 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I'll LOL when someone loses a nut over it. I wouldn't mind getting burned on my leg or something, nice lawsuit. I'm tired of working 80 hours a week.

Jeremy
August 2, 2009 at 11:34 PM

check this out

Ganava
August 3, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I don't think you quite understand the concept of trolling....

applewillnotmakeit
August 3, 2009 at 12:11 AM

No, he's right........get a zune.

Projectzro
August 3, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Wow I think this is carma, I love apple but they got too cocky and smug between the FCC investigation for regecting a google app that is lower grade than skype and exploding iPods. I think jobs needs to get the stick out of his ass and stop being a queen, I would rather wait an extra month for a device that has a battery life longer than a day and is safe than one that dosent.

Dodds
August 3, 2009 at 2:06 AM

iPhone explosive.... There's an app for that.

I don't know if they could have made the battery in the iPhone in a short time. But I think this exploding feature is a new thing in the 3.0 update.

Jomir
August 3, 2009 at 2:08 AM

Maan_27 im agree with you this is another fake to difame apple!!

cat
August 3, 2009 at 5:06 AM

a zune huh? hmmm...

August 3, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Why the fuck would we want to downgrade to a Zune? Seriously.
That last thing you said in this article should have gotten you fired or killed.

acenima
August 3, 2009 at 7:49 AM

why would we get a zune? they explode just as easily and is like getting a downgrade

caleb
August 3, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Ok.. Shut up on the whole advertising palm pres and zunes. We dont care about them. we come here for "zeh hackz for zeh iphone."

steve
August 3, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I'd rather my iPhone blow up on my face every day than use a Zune

John
August 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM

IT GETTING KINDA ANNOYING WITH QUICKPWN JUST ADVERTISING ZUNE,WINDOW MOBILE , AND PALM PRE WE DONT CARE Most people are here for jailbreak iphone/itouch

bert
August 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Hehe,

lame... something goes wrong with an apple product for once, and now everybody needs to switch to a ****ing zune...
why not just admit that apple makes the best sh*t and not try to get some cheap advertisement for a zune this way.

what the hell is a bloody zune anyways? something from the 60ties?

Ynaled
August 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM

i say zunes are WAY!! safer than ipods. REAllY! have you heard of any ZUNES exploding?!?! nope.. ZUNES RULE!!

Dj xcite
August 3, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Zunes can do shit but play music wait zunes dont even have sms zunes = a piece of crap

lbc slayer
August 3, 2009 at 7:18 PM

i dont think zune has the feature of blowing up so apple wins lol

Dodds
August 4, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Nobody has zunes like everyone say how many people u know that have zunes. Me one.. And he returned it in a week for an iPod

maan_27
August 4, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Honestly all the hype about the exploding ipod or iphone is just all over the internet & NOT ON T.V??? i mean if its a real deal, then the global news media has something to talk about....since apple is not your some everyday joes company BUT A MAJOR GLOBAL EMPIRE!
AND NOTHING IS HAPPNING!
The exploding ipod or iphone could as well be the Chinese copy! Seriously i stopped at one of the shops selling them just to find out the difference and believe me, the exterior is as EXACT copy! You would be very easily fooled! It has almost the same material, the logo, the writing and everything!
IT COULD BE VERY EASILY BE ONE OF THOSE FAKES! DONT YOU THINK BIG FIRMS LIKE APPLE WOULD TEST THEIR PRODUCTS BEFORE PUTTING THEM OUT TO THE PUBLIC???
.......AND I THOUGHT THIS SITE WAS DEDICATED TO IPHONES/IPODS.....STOP MARKETING ZUNES & PALMS!

August 5, 2009 at 3:34 AM

the zune is a big piece of crap ill stick with my iphone if it explodes F it ill get another one idc

August 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Can you make sure your Ipod is safe ?
Check the game

bagg
August 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM

i just got an iPod touch......my mom had told me something about iPhones and iPod touches exploding. is it because they are the new ones? -or- because the battery life on the new ones stink? idk!?!?!?!?!? but if it explodes i am getting a FULL refund and buying something else!

Anonymous
August 14, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I think i suspect atleast 1 thing why they're exploding; ****** WITH THEM, jailbreaking/unlocking, i do it also but i was lucky the 3Gs was sold out. Destiny calls ;P

Yo momma
August 15, 2009 at 1:14 AM

think about this, the iphones in britain, and the uk, its because other countries use different watts, so mayb they charged it and the battery exploded! It could be people on vacation or just lying, or maybe because of the watts. I had mine for almost a year and its perfectly normal, and i'm in the us baby! I think its international ipod touches and iphones, not us. Besides, ZUNES SUCK DICK! IPOD AND IPHONES ROCK!!!! Who knows if it really exploded -.-

Ravi
August 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Well it's whole lot of shit about iPhones and iPods crashing. A mere way to distract people from buying Apple products.

Lastknight
August 16, 2009 at 3:33 AM

Let's face it! I got 4 words. Zune sucks, iPhone rocks. Simple concept that everyone should be able to follow. It has been proven time & time again that even with the so called "exploding" iPhone, the Zune just doesn't have the features that can even compete with the iPhone or touch. If you're going to trade apples then trade apples for apples, not lemons.

Roark
August 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM

The boy was from Ohio(USA). The girl was from Liverpool, UK. The articles about the exploding iPods do not specify if they were made in China or if the firmware was 3.0. Sometimes an iPod is made too quickly and wires might be touching other wires. It could have had a short-circuit. It could have had a broken charger.

Roark
August 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I typed this message on an iPhone 3G 3.0 firmware that is a REAL Apple iPhone. I have been using it for 1 year with no problem.

Yewdiel
December 30, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Oh, come on. Zune isnt that bad. At least, it doesnt explode in your head. If what you want is a phone, get a phone. If wht you want is a touch mp3, get the zune hd.