Home » » purplesn0w unlock is here!

purplesn0w unlock is here!

Written By Unknown on Monday, July 13, 2009 | 4:11 PM

purplesn0w

Geohot has just released his own iPhone 3GS software unlock and named it purplesn0w. Who is purplesn0w for? If you own a jailbroken iPhone 3GS running firmware 3.0 and you want to unlock it to use it with another carrier (T-Mobile only in the USA), then purplesn0w is for you. Are you experiencing wifi/battery/other unlocking problems after using ultrasn0w? Then I highly recommend you try purplesn0w. Geohot says that it's the best unlock out there.

purplesn0w patches three files:  CommCenter, lockdownd, and wildcard. It also uses tha at+xlog exploit that Oranav found. As of right now purplesn0w is in beta, but I thought I'd post it here since a lot of users here have been reporting issues with the current ultrasn0w unlock from the iPhone Dev Team. If you're using a jailbroken iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS and want to unlock, please try purplesn0w and tell us how it goes.

Here is how to install purplesn0w:

* Make sure you have a legit activated iPhone 3GS. If you have T-Mobile make sure you disable 3G in the settings.

• Open Cydia, and add http://apt.geohot.com to your sources

• Install the com.geohot.purplesn0w package

• Watch for the success output in Cydia

• Reboot your iPhone 3GS

Once you have followed the steps above, your iPhone 3GS should be unlocked! Don't forget to post your unlocking experience in the comments.

Update: Geohot has also posted technical details of purplesn0w here along with the source code of purplesn0w. He plans to release an updated version of purplesn0w with hactivation support.

[via Geohot]

Untouch
July 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Thanks Geohot for all your help!!!

deardream
July 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Good job! This's the right unlock tool what I hope! without deamon process~!

yaaroz
July 13, 2009 at 4:55 PM

does it work on 2.2.1 i tried and it didnt work

Hans
July 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM

This only works on the iPhone 3GS 3.0 firmware.

Andy
July 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Thank you so much. If I want to unlock it now will I still be able to use AT&T?

kunal
July 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Could anyone explain this to me? how is this different from the dev-team unlock?

maan_27
July 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM

will purplesn0w work for iphone 3G 3.0...?
the ultrasn0w apparently is unreliable because sometimes my phone keeps restarting and cydia keeps crashing!

Funkychopsta
July 14, 2009 at 5:06 AM

I was using ultrasn0w, uninstalled then rebooted. Back into cydia and installed purplesn0w. No network and just says invalid sim.

Using a JB 3GS with 3.0. Used redsn0w to JB. Would this still work or would I need to use ra1n to JB?

Lucky
July 14, 2009 at 5:10 AM

m too having same problem with ultrasn0w. Cydia and all apps downloaded frm App store are crashing. if i change theme frm winterboard, it takes bit longer to change the theme.

i hope you guys will find out the solution.
thanks for unlock anyway.

Drinky
July 14, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Tanks Geohot u are awsome

Meth Taylor
July 14, 2009 at 6:58 AM

Purpler1an is nice but all it dose is unlock your phone. You can't use winterboard to customize your phone. Ultrasn0w 8.0 is much better & it unlocks your 3gs phone as well as let's you customize your iPhone through winterboard. I've been on it about a week and it works great.

Ro
July 14, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Yes, with an unlocked phone you will be able to use it still with ATT or any other carrier.

Ro
July 14, 2009 at 9:17 AM

1st Attempted, I had my phone already jailbroken using purplera1n and ultrasn0w. I forgot to removed ultrasn0w when installing this and it bricked the phone.

2nd Attempt: restored phone. ran purplera1n. installed everything else as noted. cycled it. and then now no network etc available including my current simm carrier (ATT). I couldn't uninstall purplesn0w since no network available even after numerous reboots using purplesn0w.

Going to give up and restore back to using ultrasn0w. Thanks for the effort though.

kunal
July 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM

any one kind enough to explain the differences?

Ed
July 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I had my phone already jailbroken using purplera1n and install purplesn0w as instructed. It fails to startup after recycled. I see the Apple logo + the "hourglass" (the one when you showdown). It hangs there with these 2 logos on top of each other.

Lucky
July 15, 2009 at 3:40 AM

well. this is really very disappointing tht no1 is replying to issues all of us having with iphone 3.0 OS. since dev team hs changed their theme, it looks like they hv changed layout for iphone only. i couldnt find coloumn of comment even.

neway i want to know if purplesn0w works for iphone 3G too.

Rob
July 15, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Im on iphone 3g using redsn0w 0.8 and unlocked with ultrasn0w and have NEVER had problems regarding wifi. If anything my phone runs faster and feels more effitient. Just thought id share -__- if ur having problems try the newer 0.8 redsn0w! Thats what i did and now my cydia and winterboard work flawlessly man! Was constantly havin crashing issues wuth cydia but not anymore :D redsn0w 0.8 ppl! Unlock also works perfectly.

Rob
July 15, 2009 at 4:51 AM

Im on iphone 3g using redsn0w 0.8 and unlocked with ultrasn0w and have NEVER had problems regarding wifi. If anything my phone runs faster and feels more effitient. Just thought id share -__- if ur having problems try the newer 0.8 redsn0w! Thats what i did and now my cydia and winterboard work flawlessly man! Was constantly havin crashing issues wuth cydia but not anymore redsn0w 0.8 ppl! Unlock also works perfectly.

MrChima
July 15, 2009 at 6:20 AM

can purplesn0w unlock iphone 3g with bootleader 5.09?? cause i am stuck with an iphone that works only as ipod

Chris
July 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I have 3G S and with ultranow I had problems with wifi crashing so I decided to try purplesnow and now I don't get signal or anything. Can anyone help?

Chris
July 17, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Ohh and by the way everytime I would put my tmobile sim vat I get a message " Sim Failure"

July 18, 2009 at 8:20 AM

WoW it works flawless on my Iphone 3GS 16gb thank you so much

Rayna
July 18, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Can someone tell me how to download this please? where do i get cydia from? a website?? please help!

Lil B
July 26, 2009 at 7:19 AM

When you install purple rain on your iphone 3gs when you are done rebooting it you will see a frezze icon.You touch it and it will say install Cydia

breaksDJ
July 30, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Lil B is right , purplera1n will install freeze from there cydia. very very very easy jailbreak

chris
July 30, 2009 at 2:41 PM

can someone help me?
my iphone 3gs is freezing after I lnstall cydia but its not right after its like after I install stuff from cydia.

do you know why this is?

LeAn
July 31, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I downloaded purplesn0w, it did not say success, it stated it could not activate the phone, is that okay and how do I know if I unlocked the phone when I have att&t anyway?
Thanks,
Don't really know what I am doing, but appreciate that you do.

Abou
August 5, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Hey i have a problem of restoring my Iphone 3G after i tried to unlock it. I don't know if i did it wrong by trying to download the purplera1n.com. on my computer instead. after the download through Itunes; my computer is no longer recognizing the connection. Can anybody help; how to go back and restore my default settings on the phone. The pone is completely not working anymore.

August 7, 2009 at 5:48 AM

jailbreak my 3GS 3.0 with purplera1n and unlocked with purplesn0w, have no problem to call ATT sim, but can't get network with 3G network. wifi is ok? any thoughts? Thanks.

Andrew Zindilis
August 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I wish unlocking was easy

The_Jockey
August 24, 2009 at 4:22 AM

it is easy. hardest part is getting it into recovery mode. Have to be a complete idiot to not be able to follow directions.

jeremy
August 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Didnt work for me i'll stick with purplera1n.

gilbert
September 4, 2009 at 11:24 AM

did not work for me could not read my sim .. tmobile usa iphone 3g on 3.0.1 jailbrake/ unlock with redsn0w.08 and 3.0 psw.

Rizlah
October 14, 2009 at 9:08 AM

just noticed that my 3g network took a long time to enable, not sure if this is an issue or just a glitch, will keep you all updated

Rizlah
October 14, 2009 at 9:13 AM

appears that whenever i have wifi 3g turns off, this could be normal but i have never noticed it do this before

luke
December 1, 2009 at 9:37 AM

oryt! my mate just found this ipod 3Gs. he believes its from USA because of the AT&T simcard that was in it. im from the uk. ive looked on the net and found Purplera1n, Yellowra1n, ultrara1n and blackra1n. ive installed all of these and i still dont have any signal on the fone. im trying to use a t-mobile sim in it.

October 10, 2010 at 6:22 AM

Good evening everyone :)
I'm in iPhone .3GS ios 4.1 jailbreak-ed with 'limera1n' ; for me Cydia run well I've installed 'purplesn0w' successfully, re-star my device; and i have always the same problem,

-I appreciate your work but it doesn't work for me

waiting for an answer :)