Home » » Jailbreak and unlock iPhone 3.0.1

Jailbreak and unlock iPhone 3.0.1

Written By Unknown on Friday, July 31, 2009 | 11:14 AM

Apple recently released the iPhone 3.0.1 update for iPhone users. This update was released to fix a SMS vulnerability that Charlie Miller and Collin Mulliner discovered in iPhone OS 3.0. If you have a jailbreak or unlock, you will need to follow the below steps to keep it.

How to Jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1

1. After updating to iPhone 3.0.1 download and install iPhone 3.0 firmware.

Download iPhone firmware 3.0 (filename: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw)

Download iPhone 3G firmware 3.0 (filename: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw)

Download iPhone 3GS firmware 3.0 (filename: iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw )

2. Download redsn0w.

3. Follow the guide at the Jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1 post. When you select the firmware, choose the 3.0 firmware instead of the 3.0.1 firmware. This is safe and it works!

Update: If your iPhone 3GS is stuck on "Waiting for reboot" unplug your USB cable and plug it back in.

Unlock iPhone 3.0.1

1. Follow the steps above to  jailbreak your iPhone.

2. Once your iPhone is jailbroken, open Cydia.

3. Add repo666.ultrasn0w.com to your sources

4. Install ultrasn0w, and reboot!

5. Now your iPhone should be unlocked.

David
July 31, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Will this jailbreak with redsn0w work with the 3GS, because this process doesn't sound like it'll work with the 3GS as purplera1n is entirely automatic

Sean
July 31, 2009 at 11:33 AM

So, what I'm getting from this, you're basically patching the SMS with 3.0.1, then reverting the actual OS version to 3.0? I don't understand why this would not override the SMS patch with the 3.0 software in the jailbreak firmware... clarification please?

iPhone
July 31, 2009 at 11:43 AM

It worked on my iPhone 3GS. :)

iPhone
July 31, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Sean, you are just updating to iPhone OS 3.1 and then using redsn0w. redsn0w hasn't been updated for 3.1, but you can still jailbreak by using the iPhone 3.0 firmware (when redsn0w asks you for it).

David
July 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM

iPhone, did you follow the steps for redsn0w or did you update and use purplera1n?

Billy
July 31, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Will this delete the contents of my phone or it shouldn't?

Bobby
July 31, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Yeah, well the question remains as to why redsn0w is asking for the 3.0 firmware, and you'd think that means redsn0w is using it.

What does the version number say in your Settings > General > About > Version after jailbreaking with redsn0w on 3.0.1?

ihernandezico
July 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Is the patch is updated to 3.0.1 on that ISPW, cause it looks like the same IPSW f0r the 3.0? Im Just curious

Confused
July 31, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Like Sean, I'm not sure I understand this. My 3G is already loaded with redsnow's 3.0 jailbreak....so if i update to 3.0.1, then follow the process and jailbreak it again....I'm back to where I started...correct? My phone will still only have 3.0 and not 3.0.1 since redsnow doesn't have 3.0.1 right? All this means....i should wait for the dev team to create a 3.0.1 patch.

Can someone please clarify?
Thanks!

Justin
July 31, 2009 at 12:16 PM

My phone never goes into DFU mode, it just hangs on "waiting for reboot" before uploading the third stage.

Marcus
July 31, 2009 at 12:25 PM

soo i update to 3.0.1 then use redsnow and select 3.0? coz ive tried this and i get stuck at "waiting for iphone to reboot" it never reboots

aoki
July 31, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I still not understand ... I mean the install os 3.0.1 on my iphone or I install os 3.0 on my iphone?
please reply is emergency

Stoney
July 31, 2009 at 12:51 PM

You need to download the right vers. of the firmware...make sure youre Iphone is turned of and not connected... load the firmware in redsn0w...then plug in your iphone while holding the home button and keep on holding it until the connect to itunes logo appears...then it will do the rest automaticly

Brian
July 31, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Same. Hangs at "waiting to reboot." I have a 2G iPhone.

Kirbachu
July 31, 2009 at 1:27 PM

So do I need to restore me iPhone when updating to the 3.0.1 (before updating and jailbreaking using the 3.0 .ipsw)

Tabasco
July 31, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Whats is going on I'm confused, after we update and run redsn0w, do we choose 3.0 ISPW or 3.0.1 ISPW. Why are we updating then reverting back during the jailbreak?? By updating it the first time does it block the vunerabiliry..... PLEASE SOMEONE TELL US!!!

Confused
July 31, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Can I just plug in my 3G Jailbroken iphone into itunes upgrade to 3.0.1 and leave it at that? I understand I would loose all jailbreak apps etc.

adam
July 31, 2009 at 2:05 PM

HELP HELP HELP !!!!!

so basiclly i updated to iphone 3g 3.0.1 and i understand when you jailbreak u have open redsn0w and select 3.0, but what i dont get is do we have to downgrade quote quickpwn 'After updating to iPhone 3.0.1 download and install iPhone 3.0 firmware' any help on this and how to jailbreak 3.0.1 thanks

July 31, 2009 at 2:07 PM

It was the same way here but then I just left the Icy part out then it worked! :)

Michael
July 31, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I've done this like 10 times now. It always hangs at WAITING FOR REBOOT after the upload of the 2nd stage. Does anyone know how to get this to work??? I upgraded to 3.0.1 firmware on my iphone 3GS. Then I ran redsnow against the 3.0 firmware following the instructions EXACTLY. It still just hangs at waiting for reboot and never reboots.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

Brian
July 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM

DO NOT do this. It bricked my phone, but was able to get it back. What it does is downgrades u back to 3.0. I had to restore my phone to get it back.

ignite88
July 31, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I had the same problem. After many times of trying it over and over I found out I had to jailbreak from safemode.

Matt
July 31, 2009 at 2:32 PM

I had the same thing and realized I was trying to use iPhone 3G (1,2) instead of 3GS (2,1) firmware.

symon
July 31, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Yeah im a bit confused as well... there is another .ipsw on the quickpwn forums its ver 7A400 which is the 3.0.1 FW so loaded that into redsn0w and is coming back "unable to recognize specific IPSW" anyone thoughts?

jusalcho
July 31, 2009 at 2:38 PM

hi how can i do to be bigger root directory? you know it doesn't work boostool

dococ
July 31, 2009 at 2:39 PM

For those of you stuck on the "waiting for reboot" bit - I experienced this as well. The fix is simple (seems scary, but trust me): simply quickly unplug and re-plug the USB cable from your Mac from/into the same port. The iPhone will reboot, and the process will continue as it should.

If this is happening on a PC, I'm not sure if this fix will work.

JoesAFish
July 31, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I'm with Sean and Confused... wouldn't pointing to the 3.0 IPSW revert back and /undo/ the fix for the SMS update in 3.0.1 ? or is the update that 3.0.1 applies going into the base of the phone's firmware, and reselecting the 3.0 IPSW will keep the SMS patch /intact/ after the jailbreak? Just want to be sure I don't wind up with some incorrect sense of security when i've accidentally undone the patch. Anyone??

Hans
July 31, 2009 at 2:44 PM

JoesAFish, after you've updated to iPhone 3.0.1 use redsn0w and jailbreak. When redsn0w asks for the IPSW select the firmware 3.0 file insead of 3.0.1 (because redsn0w only recognizes 3.0!). Your iPhone will still be on firmware 3.0, and the vulnerability will still be patched.

JoesAFish
July 31, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Thanks. I'm a programmer, and this doesn't make sense to me, but I'll go with it. It seems like selecting a previous firmware edition would undo it, but i'm going to follow the procedure since I think it's only sensible to obtain the fix, and i want to keep my phone "my way" ;) - JB that is. Thanks for the quick reply.

Christine
July 31, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I did it on my 3GS. worked perfectly.

Updated to 3.0.1, checked "About", says version 3.0.1.

reverted back to 3.0, using redsn0w, same way as before with 3.0.
Then checked "about" again, still says version 3.0.1, but now cydia & icy is in my system!

July 31, 2009 at 3:19 PM

You're not reverting back to 3.0. redsn0w doesn't install firmware, it just jailbreaks it. Since redsn0w doesnt recognize a 3.0.1 firmware, you point it to the 3.0 firmware. The jailbreak process is the same, its not going to undo the SMS fix.

imoby
July 31, 2009 at 3:52 PM

THANKS SO MUCH MAN

ssss
July 31, 2009 at 4:10 PM

So this means that after updating to 3.0.1 and jailbreak through redsnow, we should choose the 3.0's ipsw there?? it will only patch the changes in SMS?? pls confirm...

Keioloaf
July 31, 2009 at 4:14 PM

If I upgrade my 3G from 2.2.1 to 3.0.1, I should expect to lose my apps and settings, correct?

David
July 31, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I just broke my SMS and I'm gonna wait until an actual 3.0.1 jailbreak or 3.1 and it's jailbreak are released. I don't want to rejailbreak so I can have SMS just to find 3.1 being released shortly.

Mr.cool
July 31, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Okay, so everyone seems to be confused about the update. Here's the breakdown: redsn0w changes Certain programs or commands in the 3.0 version. The 3.0.1 version ONLY affects the SMS (fixing the "virus exploit") which redsnow doesn't even touch. Everything else is the same. All the commands in 3.0 are the same as 3.0.1 that is why redsn0w is able to jailbreak the 3.0.1 version. Nothing updates, nothing changes it only fixes the SMS virus.

MisterA
July 31, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I did this but now I can't get cydia or any jailbreak app to show up? I did the update via itunes and the jailbreak via redsnow but nothing works.. How can I fix it.

Will
July 31, 2009 at 5:57 PM

every time i download the 3.0 firmware, it doesnt show up as a lego block icon...but a folder. help anyone?

Mike B
July 31, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Ok, so this redsn0w now works with the 3gs as well? Because from what it says above in the istructions. we are suppose to jailbreak (in my case) the 3GS under redsnow. I thought redsnow was only for 3G?? I currently have my iphone 3GS jailbroken with purpl3rain (miss spelled).

milli63
July 31, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Thank you very much !!!

J Dawg
July 31, 2009 at 8:07 PM

I am an idiot. when i try to use redsn0w .8 it shows the firmware in dmg extensions not ipsw. is there a way to convert... please excuse my retardation as i just purchased the phone off of a guy this week and i accidentilly went to 3.0.1 and have never jailbroken/unlocked my phone before.

cowrinse
July 31, 2009 at 8:14 PM

in step 1 it says "1. After updating to iPhone 3.0.1 download and install iPhone 3.0 firmware."

it would be fine if i install iphone 3.0 firmware from 2.2 right?

so instead of doing 2.2 -> 3.0.1 -> 3.0 i can just do
2.2 -> 3.0 correct?

i don't have to update the iphone to 3.0.1 before installing the iphone 3.0 firmware right?

Billyray
July 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM

u have to open the .dmg lol. after that since u already upgraded to 3.0.1, open redsnow, select the 3.0 FW. and jailbreak normally. your phone will say some things, the computer will say some things. then your set to go. just go in to phone. turnn on wifi. open cydia and add the repo under the "Manage" tab if you need it unlocked.

god
July 31, 2009 at 9:26 PM

u will lose ur apps if u upgrade to the newest 3.0.1 ver
im stuck in the jailbreak "reboot" for more than 1 hour.. any1 have the same problem/??

crous
July 31, 2009 at 9:37 PM

will purplesnow work?

JL172
July 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

tried to unlock 3.01 the same way I did it with 3.0 two days ago.
redsn0w says: "unable to recognize specified IPSW" when I am browsing to the "iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw".
Any guess or help?

J Dawg
July 31, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I just spent the last 5 hours trying to do a crash course in "how to unlock my Iphone" after i dwnloaded 3.0.1 last night. I have never before unlocked an Iphone. turns out 90% of my problem was internet Explorer! I am now a huge FireFox fan!!! Thank you all for posting how to do this so quick after Apple released the update :) I have only been a Iphone user for 4 days now and i bought the thing already unlocked. I will be waaaay more careful in the future when taking updates from Apple. Thank u again :)

James Donagain
July 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Hi,
This is because Internet Explorer Is Putting the file in a zip so its extracted, you need to download Safari then download the firmware, and it will appear as a ipsw (lego block icon as you say :) )

James Donagain
July 31, 2009 at 10:15 PM

No, Redsn0w Was made for all of apple's device's including Ipod touch 2g and 1g iphone 2g 3g and now 3gs,

partthy
July 31, 2009 at 10:17 PM

my iPhone 3G is stuck on “Waiting for reboot” I tried unpluging USB cable and plug it back in but no use/…..pls help…..

James Donagain
July 31, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Hi, this is a issue With internet explorer (read what i posted to another user)

Hi,
This is because Internet Explorer Is Putting the file in a zip so its extracted, you need to download Safari then download the firmware, and it will appear as a ipsw (lego block icon as you say )

partthy
July 31, 2009 at 10:17 PM

my iPhone 3GS is stuck on “Waiting for reboot” I tried unpluging USB cable and plug it back in but no use/.....pls help.....

Sarevilo
July 31, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Great!!!
Thanx

Sebastian
August 1, 2009 at 12:33 AM

You need to download it via Firefox cause Safari mess up this things

GhostRider
August 1, 2009 at 2:09 AM

This patch is totally unecessary. The hole has been there all Along though not publicly used. from what I understand if you were hacked by someone sending 500 msgs rebooting or disconecting stops it so everyone rushing to upgrade and rejailbreak must just enjoy doing it. I'd bet this isn't the only vunerabilty the iPhone has.

initalia
August 1, 2009 at 2:21 AM

i have an apple 3G iPhone with 3.0.1 software.
i tried to jailbreak it with redsnow 0.8 but it gets stuck on the waiting for reboot screen. i tried unplugging the usb cable but my phone won't turn on and iTunes says it detects an iPhone in recovery mode and it has to be restored before i can use it with iTunes.
i cant see cydia or anything - because i should see it on my phone? which i cant turn on?

Mr.cool
August 1, 2009 at 2:55 AM

If you keep trying to download the 3.0 ipws BUT you've already updated using iTunes you don't have to. Go to My Computer> local disk C: > documents & settings> user name> application data> apple computer> iTunes> iPhone software updates> and there should be the ipsw (if you have XP)
if not type this into google and download from megauploader:
iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw download (for iPhone)
iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw download (for 3G)
iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw download (for 3Gs)

fahad
August 1, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Hi Guys.. need your help.. just updated the version to 3.0.1 and jailbroked it with redsnow, The process went perfectly fine till here..then went to cydia installed ultrasnow and rebooted my device but it isnt unlocked yet ..now i cant receive any calls or messages...I have an Iphone 2G..
Please do help me !!

Bells
August 1, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Just confused about the statement in the original post.
"After updating to iPhone 3.0.1 download and install iPhone 3.0 firmware"
does it mean as below (on iPhone 3G)

1 - update iPhone from 3.0 to 3.0.1 via iTunes live update or manual update via iTunes shift+restore with "iPhone1,2_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw"

2 - Again install 3.0 via iTunes shift+restore with "iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw"

3 - use redsn0w with "iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw"

is it correct?
is the step two is what I am thinking of from the statement "After updating to iPhone 3.0.1 download and install iPhone 3.0 firmware"

BogartOfElCajon
August 1, 2009 at 5:20 AM

If I update to 3.0.1, will I be losing all my apps I downloaded in Cydia before? I have a jailbroken iPhone right now in 3.0 and I do want that 3.0.1, but I don't want to lose my apps from the jailbroken phone. I need information about this one. Please advise. Thanks.

zefox
August 1, 2009 at 5:22 AM

One question: when jailbreaking like this, is the phone in v 3.0.1. or v3.0? In extenso, is it patched for the SMS flaw or not?
Regards

kenny
August 1, 2009 at 5:30 AM

hi Iv'e done everything right over and over , but allways the samething , waiting to reboot , Iv'e tried unpluging it , I'm using the jswp from the 3.0 , the download is just files not iswp, thanks kenny

August 1, 2009 at 5:33 AM

Thanks for being there....
you saved me!!
God bless you
Jerry

August 1, 2009 at 6:41 AM

[...] the iPhone 3.0.1 jailbreak and unlock post to unlock your iPhone 3.0.1. Related posts:How to jailbreak with redsn0wJailbreak iPod [...]

Marshall
August 1, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Worked like a charm, Thank you guys.

Nicolai
August 1, 2009 at 8:41 AM

I know this is pointless but is there anyway to get 3.0.1 on my iPod touch 1G

Ano
August 1, 2009 at 9:15 AM

My Iphone 3G version 3.0.1 stuck on waiting to reboot and do not go on any futher. It suppose to have a white screen on it but mine seems like it frozen on the waiting to reboot. What can I do to solve this problem.

Jorge
August 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM

1* update you iphone with itunes (3.0.1)

2* open redsn0w /browser/“iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

3* this update will delete al your cydia app's .

4* its work perfectly for me.

Ano
August 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Why does mine always stuck on WAITING TO REBOOT? What is wrong?

Tyler
August 1, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Still stuck on "waiting for reboot". Unplugging it still does not work. I'm currently running 3.0.1. And it's still not jailbroken. Please help me.

Fr0ZeN_ErroR
August 1, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Redsnow stops working when it is uploading ramdisk. Can somebody help?

Mr. Cool
August 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM

To fahad: for the 2G you need bootloader. When jailbreaking using redsn0w it should give you the option to unlock. U need bootloader.
to nicolai: you can't get the 3.0.1 because it patches SMS virus exploit thingy. And you can't text with the iPod.

Lardos
August 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I had to restore my iPhone first tine I tried to jailbreak for 3.0.1 as the unplugging thing wouldn't work for me. The second time jailbroke fine didn't get stuck on waiting to reboot. My problem now is after trying to add the Hack&Dev repository through cydia my iPhone rebooted and now cydia keeps crashing everytime I try to open it. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas.

jay_t
August 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM

used redsn0w 0.7 on my iphone 3G 8GB not 0.8 on mac coz you will get stuck on reboot...

Ernani
August 1, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Something went wrong when I tried to upgrade the OS at my iphone. I followed the instructions but now in order to upload version 3.0 and the bootloader files bin 3.9and 4.9. Afetr that I put the iphone in DFU mode. Now, my iphone turns on and shows a cartoon of a guy saying something in russian and locks in that way...

renegade_666
August 1, 2009 at 10:41 PM

i tried to jailbrak my iphone 3G but it didn't work got with redsn0w v.07 stock on reboot but then i just got V.08 and then it was fine :)

August 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM

ive jailbroken my iphone ,and had no problems,bring on the next update

Pmc
August 2, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Hello. I updated the 3.0.1 and rejailbroke my phone using redsnow and the 3.0 software. Now my phone will not open any apps i purchased prior to originally jailbreaking my phone. Any ideas?

orangecrush
August 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Same here... it took me forever to get redsn0w installed until I foxfire to download 3.0 firmware.

Once I got everything installed, I can open Cydia, install and confirm any program but when springboard reloads, it's like I never installed anything.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've spent all day trying to get this to work with no luck.

PS. I can install an Apple app, just not anything from Cydia.

Thanks.

orangecrush
August 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Just noticed something also. I'm running on edge now, no 3G. Go figure....my wife's iphone is sitting right beside it and it's running 3G so it shouldn't be a connecting problem. (ie weather)

neo182384
August 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM

i have a 1st generation iphone. it was unlicked and jailbroken. i updated and restored it to the 3.0 os and now i'm not being able to unlock it again. i've got redsn0w, the right bootloaders and ive got the resotre files. it gets stuck during the unlocking and does not boot the second time. waiting for boot waits forever. please please help.

Jonas
August 2, 2009 at 6:14 PM

that happened to me when I tried to do it without a SIM card. After I inserted one, it worked out fine.

August 2, 2009 at 10:15 PM

as i am new here, i have no idea how to "install" firmwire 3.0, i just downloaded it, but now i got no idea what to do. (i downloaded redsnow as well)

what about the app problem, do the apps already work on the jailbroken iphone?

thank you for the help in advance!!

Ray
August 3, 2009 at 2:04 AM

So if I follow these instructions how do I keep what apps I already have from the app store andCydia????

Aaron
August 3, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I got mine back to the good old jailbreak.. Winterboard is fine on mine!

Zubair
August 3, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I followed the process and got everything done except that i have NO SERVICE and cannot manually select the carrier - any help is greatly appreciated, no phone since yesterday midnight :( Thanks!

john
August 3, 2009 at 10:11 PM

i down load the redsnow 0.8 and when i click browse i cant find no firmware. i only see the file it say 3.0 firmware restore. can any one show me step by step how to get the firmware. thank in advance

max
August 3, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Hey, I had the same problem, just restart your ipod/phone once or twice and it will start working again. well, for me it did... same proccess if winterboard does not change icons.

August 4, 2009 at 2:30 AM

iPhone 3.0.1 NO SERVICE Situation RESOLVED!!! It took me 12 hours to figure the problem though i am a techie of 12 years experience in IT.- only missing component was 3.9 or 4.6 boot loader neuters - downloaded the copy of the loaders and had checked "unlock" along with "install cydia" when jailbreaking with RedSn0w 0.8

CAUTION: Don't waste your money on unlock-the-iphone (. ) com these crooks market exactly the same software for $29.95, which are free above on this site, bundled into their batch file, I admit I fell for it when I was trying everything desperately yesterday midnight to get my carrier network connected :P
Thank you guys for the great help for free!!!

Mark
August 4, 2009 at 4:58 AM

Just updated mine and worked a treat, just a bit miffed that I paid for software (iphoneunlock) and all they did was give me links to software available for free from here, live and learn.

Greg
August 4, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Hello!!! I'm trying to save the file iPhone 2G - filename: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw to my desk top but I can see the file after I hit save.. Any thoughts?

Greg
August 4, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Sorrym I can't see the file after I save it.

Asmita
August 4, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Hey,

I have same problem, recovered everything but no service. It says no simcard installed or no service. Please let me know if you can help me. miss my phone badly.

Thanks.

Asmita
August 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM

please explain how did you do that.
thanks!

Dude
August 4, 2009 at 11:14 AM

It's because the file is saved as a .zip file.... You have to rename it, or just change the ending, and then it should be there.. If it's the file you can't find, try right-clicking and choose ''save destination as'' and then choose a place to save.. hope this works out for you..

Sile
August 4, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Thing is that everything worked great. Now itunes says that it doesn't recognize the sim card... but my 3gs works on tmobile. i got all my contacts from the mobile me acc, but still my apps are missing, so, any suggestions? (i'm not able to sync with itunes, my music's not there... and so on...

JF
August 4, 2009 at 2:37 PM

it worked perfectly! i have an iphone 2g and used itunes version 8.2.0.23 to first download the new iphone software. just follow the directions & make sure you have all the correct files downloaded prior to beginning.

kawaks40
August 4, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Jailbreak and all that went fine.. only problem I'm having is, I 100% clicked on the INSTALL CYDIA box...

but after the jailbreak completes - I don't see the cydia icon?!

Is there a new way of accessing it or something,
is there another way to install cydia
i've tried multiple times now to jailbreak and install cydia..

or does ICY work just as well.. as that will install fine for some reason :S

Kevin
August 4, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I unlocked the Iphone 3G 3.0.1 succesfully but when I'm using another SIM it seems that the connection to the network is intermittent tohugh it always show I have full-bar signal. Sometimes, the messages are delayed and when I try to call the phone it is unreachable and when you look at the signal bar it is FULL!

Is this a bug with ultrasnOw being used with the 3.0.1?

If so, can I downgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0?

Bmoneycox
August 4, 2009 at 5:53 PM

My iphone says.Diffrent Sim Detected, please connect to i tuness. But it has a Tmobile logo on the top and A few bars. What did i do wrong?

Joe's
August 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I updated my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G 2.2.1 with the customized restore file "iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Custom_Restore.ipsw", unlocked with redsn0w and it works fine. Thanks to Dev team!
If I update to the newest firmware 3.0.1, do I have to jailbreak and unlock it again? Or is there any customized restore file available like for the update of jailbroken iPhones 2.2.1

alex
August 4, 2009 at 7:43 PM

i still can not send sms but i can recieve... is there a fix for this? plzzzzzzzz help!

alex
August 4, 2009 at 7:59 PM

ok works now just follow this command but replace the service number of your provider with yours.

*5005*7672*+61418706700# (telstra)

Randall
August 4, 2009 at 8:25 PM

So I just tried updating my jailbroken iPhone 3G from 3.0 to 3.0.1. Then my iPhone shows the iTunes logo and usb cable image. iTunes gives me some BS about the phone being in recovery mode and that I should restore, but when I click on restore, it says there's no software available and that I need the latest version of iTunes. Well, I have the latest version of iTunes.

Now I'm trying to re-Jailbreak it with redsn0w, and it seems my iPhone doesn't want to enter DFU mode. It's just stuck on "Waiting for reboot".

So awesome.

Kevin
August 4, 2009 at 10:21 PM

@alex

Where did you get that fix?

With mine, I cannot receive incoming calls and incoming messages are always delayed. Outgoing calls and messages seems to work fine. Signal bar is full.

Kevin
August 5, 2009 at 12:48 AM

bump!

JV
August 5, 2009 at 2:51 AM

My Iphone freezes at the ramdisk area it will not pass 4 bars when loading I have tried over and over anf thoughts why?

Kevin
August 5, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Everyone's asking! No one's answering, wow!

DutchMob
August 5, 2009 at 6:17 AM

Updated to 3.0.1, then jailbroken with ultrasn0w, works perfect.

Thanx!

smokeyglen
August 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Thanks just tried it ans it was alot easier than that wait for 3 secs and so on a so forth.

Prashanyj
August 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM

After updateing from 3g 3.0 to 3.0.1 last part when we add in source respo666.ultrasnow.com.
It's says bad URL and not able to use no network comes any help

prashanth
August 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM

When you have updated from 3.0 to 3.0.1 from Itunes it locks the phone as its previously jail broke, So once you follow the procedure they have given here everything works at the later stage when u cydia it ask for to tottal upgrade once you do it and add in resource respo666.ultrasnow.com it says bad URL any update for this

Kevin
August 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Ultrasnow is not for jailbreaking! It's for unlocking, dumdum!

Kevin
August 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I hate these questions!

Kevin
August 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM

You don't read properly! The "o" in ultrasnow is actually a "0" as in the number zero. Can't you read properly?

fire
August 5, 2009 at 5:29 PM

i tried using redsn0w to JB it but it almost say it cannot detect the device in recovery mode even i follow the steps 20 times. it is version 3.0, any idea guys?

funny thing is even Windows plug-n-play would pickup the apple recovery device. thank you all.

August 5, 2009 at 6:41 PM

u should change the opreting system try again and just download firmware according phone 2G/3G than just checkout it will work surely if not still mail me will guide u...

August 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM

i unlock my iphone 3G 8GB everything going very fine but it not dentect in iphone pc suite for transfering apps manually..

Daniel
August 5, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Super great!
I have now successfully unlocked my iPhone 3gs with 3.0.1
Although I never got to the DFU mode stage. Because after I have installed Cydia the redsn0w screen said it was finished. So when I click Next it closes. I just followed the new steps of Unlocking and now it works Ü <-- is that the biggest smile or what?

Thanks a bunch

Taz
August 5, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Guys,

after updating via iTunes, close I tunes before you do the jailbreak otherwise iTunes "recovery mode" msg messes up the jailbreak.

I used aptbackup after too and it installed all my cydia apps automatically and even kept all the settings which was a result!!

;o)

Joel
August 6, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Hey Randall.

I had the same problem with my iPhone 3G when I tried using redsn0w. I went to an Apple Store and they looked at it. They said that my baseband (which is what allows the OS to run) was at an unacceptable level. It is supposed to be at a 5, but it was at a 15, thus causing it to stay stuck on the default restore window with the iTunes logo and USB cable image. They told me that there wasn't a thing that they could do once it was like that, and had to get a new phone for me. If you get a new phone, you can get it for free from Apple if you're still under warranty, or you will have to pay to get a new phone (unless you can convince them to give it to you for free with a good reason). I hope that this helps.

garhog
August 6, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Can't get passcode off what do I do?

August 6, 2009 at 3:31 AM

ok so i unlocked it, how does this help getting 3.0.1 on my phone, do i now just sync with itunes?

webwizard
August 6, 2009 at 3:34 AM

When stuckon reboot, just quickly disconnect your usb cable and put it back in, wait 30 scds and it should work.

reaper
August 6, 2009 at 4:20 AM

I have a 3g running 3.0 which is jailbroke. I have some videos on there using cycorder. Is there a way to update to 3.01 and re-jailbreak without loosing my videos?

August 6, 2009 at 5:05 AM

so how do u get 3.0.1 on the phone without deleting all the changes u made?

shafy
August 6, 2009 at 5:45 AM

I am trying to jailbroke my Iphone 3G (3.01) but its stuck saying waiting for reboot..I tried unpluging the usb..but its not working..
pls someone help..

thanks a lot.

kevin
August 6, 2009 at 7:30 AM

I have the original Iphone 3.0, just plugged it into my computer and asked for update so I did and now it is locked. Only emergency calls allowed. How do i unlock or get to make calls again? It will not allow me to do anything. thanks for the help

Bj
August 6, 2009 at 8:05 AM

? i downloaded redsn0w and the link for 3.0 but when i run redsn0w and search for the iwsp file redsn0w can't find it. i've opened the file and looked myself and i can't find the iwsp file that way either. can someone help?

weizai
August 6, 2009 at 6:51 PM

any professional in iphone wan pls help me....my iphone 2g after i update firmware 3.0 it become only for emergency call and show me i was invalid sim card insert....wat i should do...pls help it urgent thx a lot.....how i unlock it???how i use bek my iphone everyone??

August 6, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I had the same exact problem. Here is how I got it to work: When saving the IWSP file, create a folder on your desktop and name it something you will remember. Then, when redsn0w prompts you to open that file, select browse and find that folder on your desktop and open it. The file you need doesn't show up but it is actually there so if you start typing it's name "iphone1.. it will automatically show the correct file name just below what you are typing. Select that and it should work.

So.Exclusive
August 7, 2009 at 12:15 AM

I JB m iphone 3g with 3.0.1 software and i turned it off. For some strange reason when i turned it back on it stayed at the black screen with the apple logo on it and it will go no futher..any suggestions on what could possibly b going on?

So.Exclusive
August 7, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I JB my iphone and i turned it off. When it comes on it stays on the black start up screen with the apple logo..and wont go past this stage..any suggestions

Kevin
August 7, 2009 at 3:11 AM

fuck this! always questions, never answers!

August 7, 2009 at 5:23 AM

it is supposed to do that, you must do exactly as it says and it will boot z.z

Tim
August 7, 2009 at 6:05 AM

After trying like mad to jailbreak using Windows 7, I booted into Linux and had no success.

After rebooting back into Windows 7, it worked the first time. I suspect that having run iTunes did something funky. If you're having problems with it getting stuck on "Uploading RAM Disk", try a reboot and see if that fixes it.

Gary Bryant
August 7, 2009 at 12:32 PM

redsn0w will not work properly in vista 64 bit environment. For all those who are having reboot problems, are you using Vista 64? If so, go to a 32 bit operating system and retry. I had the same problem on my 64 bit Vista. Went to my XP machine and it worked flawlessly.

ryan
August 7, 2009 at 1:30 PM

so i downloaded the firmware. extracted. changed the file name so the .zip was out and now redsnow wont even read the file. what do i do?

hackers
August 7, 2009 at 3:54 PM

thanx it did work for me. i jailbreak and unlock my iphone using Redsn0w 0.8 and iphone Firmware 3.0.1

August 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Original iPhone running 3.0.1
Jailbreak with redsn0w
Unlock with ultrasn0w

Now cannot find any cellphone service.
Have tried entire process both the AT&T and C&W cards.
No luck.

Any ideas?

lex
August 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM

thanks this was so easy and straight forward.... and free!? i have a iphone 3g and its great you guys are there so everyone can have / adpt a iphone

john
August 7, 2009 at 11:36 PM

I have everthing installed as per video, still it says waiting for activaation ,
in the top left _ _ _ _ _ E _ _ _ _ _ with 3 arced lines above , nothing : ( .......Ive rebooted and reinstalled redsn0w....nothing :((((

tyler
August 7, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Phil, I am having the same problem. Upgraded from 3.01 and now have no cell service.

AJ
August 8, 2009 at 1:29 AM

hi all,i jailbroke my iphone 3g with redsn0w, i have cydia on my menu but everytime i open it i cant access it!it keeps saying reorganising data!!! any ideas on how to sort this?

any help appreciated!

luckyguy132
August 8, 2009 at 2:03 AM

download the firmware again using the Fire Fox... you dont need to rename the file ... after download ... restore (shift + restore) the firmware using the iTunes and then you can jailbreak using the redsnow 0.8 ... this should work ...

luckyguy132
August 8, 2009 at 2:14 AM

try to do it again but using this steps : remove your SIM Card your SIM Card (AT&T)... then restore and jailbreak your iPhone using redsnow ... turn off the 3G (Settings ... General ... Network ... 3G - turn it OFF) ... open CYDIA ... go to MANAGE ... Sources .. tap EDIT ... tap ADD ... type .. repo666.ultrasn0w.com ... then add .. ultrasn0w ... then tap INstall ... wait until it reboot your iPhone ... after reboot ... you can insert your SIM Card (AT&T) ... AT&T service should be active ...

BJ
August 8, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Has anyone used ultrasn0w to unlock there phone. i did it last night but the phone still locks up when i put in any sim card except an at&t card. is it possable to unlock the iphone?

CJ
August 8, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Am having the same problem with an iPhone 3G; will not recognize any SIM other than authorized... suggestions?

iLuis
August 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Hi i did it and it works Great but i cant get on the internet without Wifi is it because i have the SideKick plan with T-mobile??

zach
August 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM

when i download the firmware file it doesn't give me the .ipsw its gives me all of the files in the .ipsw so i cannot select it how do i fix this?

AV
August 8, 2009 at 1:37 PM

I cant find the *ipsw file in the folder *iphone1,2_3...please help!

iLuis
August 8, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Hi I did it and it works Great but I can't get on the Internet without Wifi, is this because I have the SideKick plan with T-mobie?

AV
August 8, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Hi all, I was jailbreaking my iphone 3g ,its stuck on "waiting for reboot" and I unpluged it plug it back but it still on "waiting for reboot, so I cancel and my phone doesnt work! pleaseeee help!

James
August 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I just upgraded my 2G phone and it works fine. redsn0w has options to unlock for 2G phone without having to do ultrasn0w. All my apps and data are still there after upgrading. In About it's showing version 3.0.1.

Not4u
August 9, 2009 at 2:39 AM

I have tried this jailbreak a couple times now and I get the same. Seems to work great then hangs at the Wating to reboot. I waited a few minutes then unplugged USB still nothing. So I hold down the power button and home and iphone comes up after a several seconds but the redsnOw never detects it. Confused
I miss cydia and it worked perfect when I was 2.0

iLuis
August 9, 2009 at 3:19 AM

Can anybody tell me if the reason I can't get on the Internet is because I have the SideKick plan? I tried putting the Sidekick APN but it's EXTREMELY slow. Someone Please help. Should I change to sidekick plan? And if so to what plan? If anyone helps me I'll gladly apreciate it :)

Wheely
August 9, 2009 at 5:20 AM

you should take the original OS you downloaded in Itunes.

Start Redsnow and select the os.3.0 in :

Users/username/library/itunes/iPhone software updates/

problem solved ???

brandonp005
August 9, 2009 at 6:21 AM

I have followed the steps to jailbreaking my iphone 3g 3.0.1 with redsnow and everything completed.

My problem is now I do not have cell phone signal after jailbreaking. I restored it back using itunes and I have signal. How do I jailbreak it and be able to keep my cell phone signal. My service provider is At&t, if that has anything to do with it.

douja
August 9, 2009 at 6:29 AM

dear all, i urgently need ur help :)
i have iphone 3g 2.1 its unlocked, and i know that if i try to update it to 3.0 it will be locked and im wondering if the jailbreak will also unlock the iphone or is it two different things (to worldwide sims) or not?
please reply ASAP

Allen
August 9, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Do you have this in your Settings> General> Network> Cellular Data Network> internet2.voicestream.com If not this could be the problem! If that is in place call T-M.... You only need standard internet service. I have the same plan I used with a dozen phones always seems to work fine. Good luck...

DJ Eki
August 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Thank you so much for this post !!!!

Ben
August 9, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Perfect!!!
Worked like a charm.
Runnin 3.0.1 on iphone.
Used vista 32 bit - redsn0w 0.8 with ultrasn0w

Joe's
August 9, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Hi douja, just download the file iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Custom_Restore.ipsw ([Link REDACTED, violates Apple's copyright laws]).
Open itunes, it will ask you to restore, just shift restore and select the downloaded ipsw file to restore.
After restart your iPhone, open Cydia and add repo666.ultrasn0w.com to your sources. Your iPhone will be open for all nets now.

douja
August 9, 2009 at 7:45 PM

THANKS ALOT MAN, will try it today and let u know .. thx again for ur reply

douja
August 9, 2009 at 7:52 PM

just a question is iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Custom_Restore.ipsw
different from iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341.ipsw
????

Joe's
August 9, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I updated my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G 2.2.1 with the customized restore file “iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Custom_Restore.ipsw”, unlocked with ultrasn0w and it works fine. Thanks to Dev team!

Joe's
August 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Yes, it is! The file iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Custom_Restore.ipsw is already jailbroken and customized for jailbroken iPhone 3G 2.2.1.

douja
August 9, 2009 at 8:09 PM

oky thx again :) but where can i find the link :$

Andy
August 10, 2009 at 12:00 AM

yeah there's no point of it being unlocked if you're using AT&T. You have to use a different carrier like tmobile or verizon or metro pcs.

I'm not a geek!!
August 10, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Hey, tried this and it worked a treat...and I'm not a geek!!

Pan0503
August 10, 2009 at 4:52 AM

I just downloaded (without knowing) the software update with itunes, and my iphone went dead. My iphone had been jailbreak and unlock prior to this. What should i do now? Do I still follow the steps given in this article?

J711ohn
August 10, 2009 at 6:09 AM

I can’t get my iphone 3g into DFU mode. I’ve tried everything, it just doesn’t work…. any ideas?

Ant Rain
August 10, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Iphone 3.0.1 JB with Vista 64 bit

SvenBack
August 10, 2009 at 7:16 AM

I have a question regarding the very first step. "1. After updating to iPhone 3.0.1..."
Should I update my unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 3G version 2.2 to 3.0.1 with iTunes, before using redsnOw?
Will not updating a unlocked and jailbroken iPhone brick my phone?
Or will the following steps "unbrick" it?

I don't have access to the original SIM since I live on the other side of the globe, and realy don't want to mess things up.

Susan(su)
August 10, 2009 at 7:53 AM

I jailbroke my 3.0.1 with redsn0w and unlocked my 3g and apart from one crash in the last 10 days it is working . Thanks to Saurik and co for this amazing gift. Though I have a question might bea stupid one but we are all aren't we:)....
which media player can I use, and can I still use I tunes(presum.. no) and what software should I have on my desktop to regulate my music files and vedio files....

Please help..

bd
August 10, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Can you use an iPhone 3G with sprint's data plan if you jailbreak & unlock it? Or does that just allow phone & text messages ?

Ray
August 10, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Can you help? I have an unlocked/jailbroken 3g iphone that will not recognise my sim. have downloaded custom_restore and used. Redsn0w 8 does not recognise ipsw file, so after installing custom~_restore phone will not boot up to open cydia.

regards Ray

August 10, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Look.... First of all u hav to update ur iPhone to 3.0.1 via iTunes. When that is done then straightaway start jailbreaking. Download redsn0w 0.8 and the iPhone 3.0 software:
•iPhone 1,1 3.0 ipsw for iPhone 2g
•iPhone 1,2 3.0 ipsw for iPhone 3g
•iPhone 2,1 3.0 ipsw for iPhone 3gs
open redsn0w and browse the required software
. Then follow the rest of the instructions of the jailbreak. At the end u will have the os 3.0.1 software along with cydia in ur iPhone. To unlock u need to use cydia. First open up cydia then press the manage on the tab and click on sources. Enter: repo666.ultrasn0w.com/ after u add the source then click on the source and install ultrasn0w. Restart ur iPhone and it will be unlocked

Rowe
August 10, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I apologize for my ignorance, but this is my first time using RedSnow or Jailbreaking my 3GS... I've jailbroken my previous 3G and Ipod touch many times... Anyway, i'm downloading the firmware, and after decompressing the .zip file, i keep getting .dmg images, rather than the .ipsw. I am using Windows Vista, (sorry mac users, i know i'm inferior-lol) and cannot figure out how to open or decompres the .dmg files? do i have to merge them, and then decompress?

Thank in advance for any help...

Tawny
August 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM

No. In the United States, you can only use T-Mobile or AT&T for the iPhone. Long explanation shortened: Sprint doesn't use SIM cards.

Tawny
August 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM

You can use iTunes. My iPhone has been jailbroken and unlocked for the past year and I use iTunes.

Joe's
August 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM

If you use the custom_restre ipsw file (for jailbroken iphones 22.1 only!), you don't have tu use Redsn0w. Just restore the ipsw file. Turn the iPhone off and reboot it. Open Cydia and add repo666.ultrasn0w.com. Reboot your iPhone 3G again and it will accept all SIM cards from all carriers.

shockg
August 10, 2009 at 10:40 PM

hey guys i cant add this repo cos it says that i cant connect to the network :/ can i do it thru computer? like i will download repo666.ultrasn0w.com on computer and then from computer to my iphone?

Rowe
August 11, 2009 at 1:08 AM

Nevermind - i'm an idiot and wasn't thinking clearly... didn't realize i had to rename file... thanks anyway... :)

Nadeem
August 11, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Hi. I used redsn0w to jailbreak and it all worked fine. The I tried to install ultrasnow, after which Cydia does not open. I still have no cellular signal even tough I have changed the SIM. Please help

Thanks

Nadeem
August 11, 2009 at 2:18 AM

P.S. I have 3G phone with 3.0.1 (carrier is O2)

clrtoland
August 11, 2009 at 5:09 AM

I have a second gen iphone and i have jailbroken it and unlock it with redsn0w .8 on the 3.0 firmware. My problem is that right after i jailbroke the phone the battery drains out so fast, about 4 hours. I dont not have internet, i turn Bluetooth off and i do not get mail. I say all this because i know these are things that will drain your phone. I have seen a few people talk about this problem but no one seems to have the solution. Anyone please help. In addition i have also tried to restore the phone.

Lady1975
August 11, 2009 at 5:16 AM

I recently jailbroke my iPhone with redsn0w and unlocked it with Ultrasn0w. I was working fine, but it would crash and my entire phone would go to a white screen and then turn off. I would have to reboot my phone for it to work again. It will do this and I would not know it was off. Would anyone know why it would lock up after a while....any suggestions as to how to correct this problem...

me in spain
August 11, 2009 at 5:44 AM

oh hell yes. Thanks guys - life SAVERS it all works!!

aws
August 11, 2009 at 8:22 AM

it asks for a password for activation

BoyParka
August 11, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Worked perfectly. Thanks very very much!

Daniel
August 12, 2009 at 3:45 AM

I cant seem to download .ipsw for my iphone 3G v3.01. No files in Redsn0w. What can i do?

Eric
August 12, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I'm confused why did I need to upgrade to 3.0.1 if I have to downgrade back to 3.0.0 to use redsn0w? All I want to do is change the ringtones for things other than the phone.

cinthia
August 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. I used the instructions but after rebooting, Cydia keeps stalling when trying to install an essential upgrade. The jailbreak with 3.0 was working great until I followed these instructions.

subbu
August 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Hi,

I bought 3GS in US then jail break and unlocked it with Redsnow0.8 Version. OS on the device is 3.0.1. It worked fine for me in US. Recently I moved to India and started using local SIM (BSNL Service with No GPRS). I am getting an issue now.

Device is working fine. I am able to make calls, connect to wireles networks etc. From second day onwards, I started getting a message. It is "error" with Cancel & Accept buttons. First time, I kept on cancelling the messsage and finally towards the evening, device restarted itself and got stuck at apple icon with circle. It forced me to restore the OS again. I did that and it worked fine. I jail broken the device and unlocked it again. Now again I am getting the same error again.

Is this a known issue. Any solution for this issue?

Few more details:
3G is off.
Local Services off
When I take out the SIM and leave device on, I am not getting the error.

fred
August 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM

I was having the same problem with it freezing during the reboot with my 3G 3.0.1. The same solve (unplugging the USB and plugging it back in) worked for me too. Just an FYI...thanks for the help!

Saif
August 13, 2009 at 10:20 AM

That's because you must have restored from backup after you updated your firmware. Do not restore from backup. Setup as new phone and your battery will be ok. this tip is also on dev website.

paren
August 13, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Hi.. i just bought a Iphone 3g from canada, and i got it unlocked their, but i brought it back to the UK, and i connected it to my PC, and inserted my UK sim,
it says the sim you have inserted does not appear to be supported..
what do i do?>..

HWKDRIVER
August 13, 2009 at 3:17 PM

What is the best way to update the phone from 2.2 to 3.0.1 if I can not download and update via iTunes due to the server timing out over and over again. I am currently overseas and working off a crappy satellite connection. Thanks!!

sandi
August 13, 2009 at 5:11 PM

after unlocked my iphone 3G 16B, i cant make phone called. i have no idea where is my problem ? can anyone help me.

thanks......