Home » » Official Google Voice App Blocked from App Store

Official Google Voice App Blocked from App Store

Written By Unknown on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 | 6:15 AM

Yesterday Apple removed all Google-voice related iPhone apps from the App Store, and they also rejected the official Google Voice iPhone application. google-voice-iphone1They are saying that the Google Voice apps "duplicate features that come with the iPhone". Unfortunately due to Apple's strict App Store policies, we will never see a Google Voice App on the App Store.

A Google Spokesperson has told us the following:
We work hard to bring Google applications to a number of mobile platforms, including the iPhone. Apple did not approve the Google Voice application we submitted six weeks ago to the Apple App Store. We will continue to work to bring our services to iPhone users -- for example, by taking advances in mobile browsers.

Not only should we be blaming Apple for rejecting the Google Voice app, but we should be blaming AT&T as well. John Gruber from Daring Fireball says that Google Voice apps are banned from the App Store because of AT&T:
Well, so much for my speculation. A reliable little birdie has informed me that it was indeed AT&T that objected to Google Voice apps for the iPhone. It’s that simple.

Thankfully, Sean Hovac the developer of the GV Mobile app has decided to release his app for free on Cydia. You can jailbreak your iPhone and download it.

How to get GV Mobile:

1. Jailbreak your iPhone

2. Open Cydia

3. Tap the Search button

4. Type in GV Mobile

5. Tap the app, and hit the install button!

gv-mobile

GV Mobile Features:

• Dial numbers (domestic for free and international at a variable rate) via the iPhone’s address book or typing in on the keypad

• Send SMS messages

• Retrieve and delete recent call history

• Playback and delete voicemails

• Take calls from different phones other than your iPhone

• Add, delete, enable, or disable the phones that Google Voice forwards calls to

Update: Google Voice is still in beta, if you didn't get a Google Voice invite from Google then you cannot use this yet. Some users have also been reporting that this app crashes. Sean Kovac is working on fixing it.

[via Daring Fireball and Sean Kovac]

Steve
July 28, 2009 at 6:56 AM

How do you get invited to set up an account? My google account does not work. Thx

CJ
July 28, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Keeps crashing after trying to enter user name and pswd

Sage
July 28, 2009 at 8:15 AM

"due to Apple’s strict App Store policies, we will never see a Google Voice App on the App Store."

Those tired policies will be the death of the App Store.

July 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Don't work

July 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM

i had to remove gv voice and then reinstall. fixed my problems! :)

prior to this, i would have same crash probs

peace

July 28, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I think after my contract is up, I'll be switching to a different phone that don't have as many "restrictions" as the iphone does. Don't get me wrong I love the iphone but it seems like they're always trying to restrict something that's good for the phone. By the way, thanks to everyone involved in making the jailbreak for the iphone. Without it the phone would SUCK!!!!!

ResidentEvil
July 31, 2009 at 1:41 PM

So my gmail account doesn't work!! So how in th heck do you get a account?????

Someone reply.... Got link?

Paul taylor
August 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM

What they got some thing about us guys that don't have hands or finger! It's just they don't want use to us it

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 PM

You can use your current gmail address in conjunction with Google Voice. You have to sign up via email, and it makes things easier if you sign up with a gmail account. They intergrate with each other so seamless. If you haven't signed up for an invite do so here: www.google.com/voice It takes a few days to get the invite. Hope this helps!

andres
October 1, 2009 at 9:42 AM

wuujjuuu!!! i just got my gv invitation!!! works perfecly.. free calls n free sms...

iwantgvmobileforitouch
October 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Can you get and use google voice for ipod touch if u have a mic for it

Brock Primeuax
October 31, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Hmmm...well, I have Google Voice because I got invited from Google. And I can only send three invites. Hmm. I mean, if I was able to get an invite, and I'm only 16. you people could do it :) Want to contact me? Headshot235@gmail.com
DO NOT SPAM MAIL ME!

czar
December 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Having switched to T-Mobile, I can tell you why AT&T and Apple don't want this app on the iPhone. It restores a better feature than the AT&T/Apple Visual Voicemail. It is that simple.

sss
February 10, 2010 at 4:54 AM

i have a 3rd generation ipod touch with 32 gb, so i have a working mic for it. is it possiable to make and recieve calls through the app???