Home » » Camera coming to the iPod Touch?

Camera coming to the iPod Touch?

Written By Unknown on Monday, July 6, 2009 | 8:23 AM

ipod_touch_3gs_camera_iconTechCrunch was recently told by one of it's sources in Asia that Apple has "placed an order for a massive number of camera modules of the type they include in the iPhone. These are inexpensive cameras, in the $10 range. And the size of the order, our source says, means they can only be used for one thing - the iPods".

MacRumors is taking this rumor a step further and posting screenshots of what appears to be an iPod Touch 3G case with a hole for the camera. What's even more interesting is that MacRumors has also posted a picture of an iPod Nano case that has a hole for a camera as well.

While I don't think there will be a camera coming to the iPod Nano, it does seem reasonable for Apple to add it to the new iPod Touch. I predict that Apple will not only add a camera, but they will also upgrade the processor and graphics chips, and also double the RAM of the iPod Touch 3G.

Apple usually launches new iPods in the month of September so it won't be too long until we find out whether or not this rumor is true. I'm hoping this rumor is true, having camera on the iPod Touch would be really useful to a lot of us. What do you think? Leave a comment below.

Phil
July 6, 2009 at 9:13 AM

This would be pretty interesting and very help- and useful for many, many, many iPod touch users all around the world. Me myself I do not care that much about this as I have a iPhone which always had and will have a built-in camera. But, if touch users also get a camera, I wouldn't be so special anymore :( xD
Let's see what will happen in Semptember...

TAGVoar
July 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Damn. That totally sucks. I was about to get a 2nd Generation iPod Touch, but now, if there is a possibility that there is a better version coming out, I am just going to have to wait for September. God damn Apple. For fuck's sake, how hard is it to let your consumers know if something better is coming along? Now I am still stuck with my broken iPod. Why can't they have a trade-up program like Microsoft and Creative?
Anyway, thanks for the info. I don't doubt they are going to be adding a camera, considering a bunch of their competitors are doing that now, (Microsoft, Creatvie, etc...)

Owner
July 6, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Would be proper good, but then again as it's ipod touch I always have my phone on me, which has camera anyway

Ilovedev
July 6, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Awesome ill probably get the itouch 3 g

Michael
July 6, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I think that iPod touches need a camera because of the many apps you can use with one and they could also use a built in mic but that might just be me

Junior
July 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Just a question: Is it possible for the iPhone 3G to have video recording if Apple wanted to release it in a update?

July 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM

i swearr to goddd that if there would be an ipod touch 3g with camera i willll buy one from apple website.

Uzimis
July 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Haha a lot of people won't understand...
iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 3G... Imagine after... iPod Touch 3GS XD

Kirbachu
July 6, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Why call it iPod touch 3G when you can call it iPod touch 3rd generation? >_>

asdf
July 6, 2009 at 3:12 PM

because its easier

asdf
July 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM

yea, its possible. They have it enabled in jailbroken phones. I doubt they will do it though. It gets more people to upgrade to 3gs if they dont include it in the 3g.

Paul
July 6, 2009 at 5:04 PM

YESS!! i knew it... i knew this will come to ipod touches.... it came out from my mind when the 3GS came out...

Kurt
July 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Thyre just Getting them for the iPhone 3G S
do you have any idea how big their orders are for those?

Taylor
July 6, 2009 at 7:14 PM

God i hope so and they should add a built in mic. And better graphics if you are lying i will kill u!

July 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM

naww man. i know that the iPod Touch 3G WILL have a camera and video recording. they are also thinking about putting in sound recording, but they probably wont do that untill 4G. I doubt the other iPods will have cameras, they arent big, or the most popular sellers for that matter, and i really dont see how that would increase the profit. most people go for the Touch anyways, so much better. So, yeah the new iPod Touch 3g WILL HAVE A CAMERA. dont ask me how i know, i just have connections with some of the biggest marketers and 'E' directors in Apple today.

Brandon
July 7, 2009 at 12:50 AM

I think a camera would be awesome and more ram would be great as well but it would also be great if they would add a microphone in addition to the camera

Ivan
July 7, 2009 at 12:54 AM

I can't wait, I have an iTouch now but I was going to switch to the iPhone so I doesn't matter to me.

Mouse
July 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM

This wpuld be a great idea but we all have to remember ipod touch 3g = have to wait for jailbreak

jim
July 7, 2009 at 1:47 AM

if the camera is a shit camera like vga quality i will not buy.does nyone know if u can trade in your old ipod 4 credit towards a new 1 anywhere???

iapple
July 7, 2009 at 6:44 AM

IM WHATEING IPOD TOUCH 3G S :p

prostovanka
July 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Dood you are kind of falling behind. Dev-Team released new tools for 3GS. (go go :-)

George
July 7, 2009 at 8:13 AM

It needs a camera, recorder,a mic and voice over

acenima
July 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM

i would want one

Wizard
July 7, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Great, ipod touch with camera, maybe a mic and perhaps recorder; isn't that called iPhone??
It sounds good.

Patrick
July 8, 2009 at 6:31 AM

On an iPod touch 3G...
Microphone
Camera
Ram
It's almost the same as an iPhone it just can't call and text messages xD

gamerjock23
July 8, 2009 at 7:13 AM

i think that a camera on the ipod touch would be impressive for Apple to come up with. after many recent studies i have noticed that the ipod touch has a solid black corner in the top left (looking from behind) which stores the components for wi-fi technology. i would rather have strong wi-fi than a camera. now u might say "why not put it in the center of the "touch"". the reason is that there is about 1/3 of an inch of available space any where in the ipod. also apple has to have the logo in the center, if they don't they will throw a fit. also anywhere else your hand is in the way of the camera to take a pic. to make the ipod a top seller they should add a mic.

ValusRose
July 8, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I agree. A mic would help the iPod touch a lot more than a camera would.

Theanimaster
July 8, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I dunno what to say really. Built in cam? Hmmm... Apple is definitely moving the iPod away from its original purpose -- MUSIC.

But I admit... I got my Touch because I wanted to watch videos.

Andrew Malaysia
July 8, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Camera should not be the next enhancement for iPod Touch. It's not really needed. I think GPS should be an enhancement for iPod Touch. There are tons of cool apps that require GPS.

Nicholas
July 9, 2009 at 5:00 AM

GPS would be useless since the iPod Touch doesnt have a cell phone service built into it. Why would you want GPS for your ipod if you can use it without wifi? plus adding GPS with a recieve so you can use it on the go would make the iPod touch much more bulkier. Since Apple is all about innovation i dont think making there iPod bigger right now is what they are looking for. A camera would be a great feature. A mic is already compatible with the iPod Touch 2G (you just need the special ear phones) i dont think apple would eer put in an actual microphone. Although they may do to there new "Voice Over" (iPod Shuffle) and "Voice Command" (iPhone OS 3.0) features that they added to make them compatible.
most likely features in the new iPod touch
-Upgraded Proccessor, graphics etc. (like the new iPhone)
-Extended battery life (is the even possible)
-Probably some stupid new display (OLED maybe?)
-Possible a camera or bluetooth...whichever they prefer :)
also other things we can look forward too:
-getting rid of the 8gb ipod model or price drop to $129 or $149
-and ipod touch 64gb maybe?

July 9, 2009 at 7:18 AM

i dont think tht theyl make it a 64gb i think theyll take it a step further theyll keep the 4 8 and 16 but will dump the 32 and make a 120 =) thtll make a lot of people happy becauce of the previous sizes being so small tht they couldnt hold alot of movies even thou the ipod touch and iphones currently have the best resolutions for hand helds

so the best thing for them to do is to increase the memorie

iTim87
July 9, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Apple investing in cameras for iPod toucvh is a great idea. For those who like cameras with big touchscreens, this will be the ultimate mp3/video camera out there. It may not include 10mp's however, but it makes a great recording device for the ones who party it up or spend time with their kids.

They will most likely oleviate the 8gb version and go with 16gb & 32 gb much like its brother iPhone 3GS. No camera likely for nano. It would be a waste of company money to do so.

The updates you will most likely notice are:
--better graphics processor
--more processing speed for emailing photos and videos
--average joe storage (16gb & 32gb)
--mic for capturing sound
--relatively similiar contoured shape

Wally
July 9, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I want to be able to use shizam on my touch :(. Microphone FTW.

eGx iLeg3nd
July 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM

they also need a louder / better speaker

eli?
July 10, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I think that they should make a camera attachment that you can just pop onto the slot where you connect to the computer.
I don't even think thats possible but still. Neat concept.

July 11, 2009 at 10:43 AM

this is old news you all at quickPWN need new resource. Apple has been planning this since the beginning of the year. This is going to be released in Sept. Conference so that it will be up for Christmas. Also they do need to explore the 120GB Touch and skipping the 64GB cause zune will then have a chance to make a 120GB Zune HD. There is lot to come so stay tuned!!!!

mkaddem
July 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM

in the ipod touch ( 3G ) the should includ a camera 3 mp or higher and a mic for the apps.cause of it not a phone they should use the space above to enlarge the secreen . in design they should remove the stupid volume adjuster and put a memory slot reader because of the new technoligie HD specially in movies it tooks 3.xx Gb at least and a 120 Gb hard drive took a big place, also GPS .

J33zy
July 13, 2009 at 2:31 AM

@mkaddem does it look like the Ipod is HD readdy? what are u hoping for on a 3" screen and a memory cards gonna hold what 8GB extra? whats that gonna add to a 120? nothing! the thing was made as an MP4 Player :| they should just upgrade the CPU and RAM and possibly add a mic(dont really care ive got the New headphones) but anyway ive got a 2g myself and i dont think there needs much inproving tbh :D

John
July 13, 2009 at 4:16 AM

if they upgrade the CPU then it might be capable of shooting videos

Jon
July 14, 2009 at 5:00 AM

I can't wait for the 120GB if this is really true......

Amanda
July 15, 2009 at 1:36 PM

i would love a camera on the ipod.. that'd make my life so much easier.

jake
July 15, 2009 at 3:00 PM

needs a mic for the camera if it gets a camera so we can record sound with our video

toby
July 16, 2009 at 5:11 AM

it would be sick if you could use the ipod touch with wifi and camera to have video chatting

July 16, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I am almost positive that the new iPod touch will come out on September 8th or 9th. The 2nd Gen came out on September 8th. To also further my beliefs, Apple's "Buy A Mac For College, Get A Free iPod Touch" offer ends on September 8th, meaning they will most likely release it directly after(unless the are idiots and allow someone to get the 3rd Gen for free with their Mac) Also, everyone is forgetting one thing: a built in microphone on the touch!! Sure Apple has the headphones, but i bet they put one inside on the next generation.

(s.i.c) HiT mE Up fOr INfO...kr3w842@aol.com

itouch myself
July 17, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Finally! Camera on the itouch i think they should of had that from the beginng or from the second gen! If they want to place a camera they are going to have to make the ipod a little bigger

July 17, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Yeah, i think a mic is better than camera :D

techlover
July 17, 2009 at 2:19 PM

that would be SO COOL!

techlover
July 17, 2009 at 2:23 PM

You would need to add a microphone though.

jeff
July 18, 2009 at 8:47 AM

the only reason the iopd doesnt have a mic is because if it did it would be an iphone without a camera you could make calls with the free phone app without paying for it

mkaddem
July 19, 2009 at 5:23 AM

@ j33zy you are absolutely right a mic is fine for the new itouch and upgrading the ram and the cpu performenc is required.

julia
July 19, 2009 at 3:57 PM

is apple POSITIVE that a new touch is coming, because i want to buy one in the next 2 weeks! but a camera would be sweeeet!

Lipe
July 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM

WRONG. Whats the problem in using GPS without a carrier ? Just pre-load maps and use it whenever you need. I dont have a data plan on my 3GS and i dont feel like i need it.

Jean
July 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

So true ... In fact, iPhone camera is a total crap. Doing sucha upgrade without improving quality would be a big waste of money - even through the fanboys would love it.

derek
July 21, 2009 at 2:04 AM

This is going to be insane if they do come out with it

Michael
July 21, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Well if apple said 3.0 would allow "fun new game accessories via the 30 pin connector and bluetooth", what if someone made a camera/ mic that snaps onto the device and an app that would communicate with it. And so it doesn't drain ipod's power it should have it's own battery pack.

Matty b
July 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM

that woulud b illllll

brody
July 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM

the 2nd gen itouch already has capability to use an iphone headset (with microphone)

Jonny
July 30, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Just watch, everyone who keeps saying there will be no camera will be proved wrong in September. AQ camera and mic. will be awsume! Id love that. What else could I use an iPod for? I guess GPS but you need the cellular stuff...and I know it would be cool if athey made it a handheld computer but technology isnt that far yet to make a handheld computer that skinny. The Jaadu lets you control your computer anywhere with Wifi (I couldent set it up which pissed me off!)...so really, the only other thing I can think of that the iPod Touch cant do if GPS...and thats why you get an iPhone.

July 31, 2009 at 2:39 AM

man i always wanted one and now it's time to strike. the camera would be the best out of mic or gps.

jojo
August 3, 2009 at 9:56 AM

when is this new ipod with camera coming out ?

Person
August 7, 2009 at 6:26 AM

A camera would be the best choice. You can easily buy a microphone for the iPod but not a camera for it. I don't think it will be able to take videos. There is no way it will have a GPS. you would have buy a cell phone plan with internet which isn't even possible for an mp3 device. You would be able to upload pictures strait to myspace/facebook etc. right from your ipod. The camera would be the most useful upgrade.

ITouch Representative
August 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Hi guys,
I am John Eckhardt from Apple in the Itouch department and would just like to let everyone know that Apple has already confirmed the release of the i touch with me. It will be coming out on Sept 12, 2009 and will include a 16g, 32g, 64g, and 128g memories. the prices will range form 199 to 399 for the 128g. they will include a 5mp camera with auto focus and 12x digital zoom. If you are looking forward to buy the Itouch third generation, you will not be dissapointed. However,the new itouch will include wireless apple wifi which will be transmited from the apple headquarters so you can access the internet without a wireless connection with the free apple wifi built into each phone. this will be one of the greatest improvements of the Itouch.
Enjoy guys!

Phil
August 11, 2009 at 12:31 PM

If the IPOD touch adds a web cam from the front, in addition to the mic, and gets together with the SKYPE apps, you can now have a portable wifi SKYPE connection to make free pocket size portable VIDEO phone calls to other similar devices in a wifi network. And of course with SKYPE you could call any phone (audio only), or a computer with a video conversation.

SKYPE and IPOD, I think all the cell phone networks are gasping at the idea? WIFI is free !

nellis
August 13, 2009 at 1:46 AM

wifi isnt free, you have to pay dumbo

Trevor
August 14, 2009 at 4:06 AM

putting a camera in back AND in front like the DSi is stupid and wont happen. what we can hope for is a camera, with vid capability, possible mic, and a faster processor

bige9920
August 20, 2009 at 4:10 AM

haha wow! there is always free wifi kicking around! LOL

Dillz
August 23, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I sure hope there'll be a camera. It'll be great. :-)

touchexcitment!
August 24, 2009 at 4:41 PM

im so excited for the 3g touch. i originally was going to buy one in january but i didnt because i was told a new one was comming out in march, no touch. then again i heard rumours in april, then june 18th. i thought it would for sure come out but noooo. and now finnaly i feel this rumor is legit and im excited to get a touch with a camera (internal would be cool (for ichat if they can)). although i start school when it supposively comes out (sept 8th or 9) i have something to be excited for instead! hopefully there is a mic too then the voice memmos can actually work, along with many mic-needed apps

August 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM

that would be stupid to come out the 3g cause instead of buying the ipod 3g u can buy the iphone duh and its better to buy the iphone

Ayto
September 4, 2009 at 3:42 PM

well i heard that there is gunna be a camera on it BUT no internet!! or wifi
so i think i might stick with 2nd gen

rt
September 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM

why would they take away wifi that is the whole point of the ipod touch

rt
September 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM

bs that is so fake. if this was a real they would call the touch buy its offical name, "Ipod Touch" not "Itouch" please people do not be gullible enough to belive this

KEVINSOFTTAC
September 7, 2009 at 7:34 AM

yeah, seriously. ayto, your stupid. and the "itouch representative", i wish i could say nice try. but, it really wasnt even that.

c'mon, "wireless apple wifi which will be transmited from the apple headquarters"? seriously? you're probably some 10 year old kid at home with no siblings, bored out of your own wits. literally

John INeedALife Eckhardt (AKA Bored Person)
September 7, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I am NOT John Eckhardt, I are REAL person from Apple Headquarters! (LONG LIVE HIGH-PRIEST JOBS!) I would like to informing everyone that the iPod TOUCH will having 16g, 32g, 64g, and seemingly STUPID 128g's of gravitational force and good memories. Like I said, NO MP3/MP4/MP5 player has 128gb of memories. The rumors of a camera are real, but of the iPod TOUCH department I am not! Everyone knows that iPod are made in China/ overseas. If iPods were made in the US, it would cost a bit more to support the average Joe. Apple Headquarters has canceled the Apple Wifi/Mind Control Project as it seems futile due to the addictiveness of Apple products. Also, as I mentioned above, the iPod Touch's are NOT phones.

ENJOYS!

Ben
September 7, 2009 at 10:34 PM

september 8 or 9, so tommorow...

Get a life
September 8, 2009 at 6:07 AM

Ha you really need to get a life lol

Roboduck34
October 3, 2009 at 6:44 AM

In Hong Kong... They created a new ipod touch 3g skin wich has a camera hole in the middle ,top of back. It is the same size as the 2g so not much of a difference. Other rumors say that it is going to be just like the ipohne 3gs but without the phone. But there will be a mic and you can use a skype account on it. Other rumors say it is coming out on October 6th or 7th. Hope these things are true cause ive been saving up my cash for months.

Alex
October 19, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Really? They came out with the new Itouch and it only has 16 32 and 64gb memories. there is no camera. the 32 and 64gb models are faster than the 16gb. look it up on the website. christ. next year or maybe before christmas they will put one out with a camera. apple is notorious for screwing people over with new technology coming out right after each other.

syed
December 14, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I hope they at least put a camera on the ipod touch by christmas. I's also wondering, to upgrade to the camera itouch, would u have to send it in to apple?

EB
December 29, 2009 at 3:27 AM

What the &^%& is an Ipod Touch 3G? There's no such gadget from apple. It's either an iPhone3G or an Ipod Touch.

December 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I would hope that not only a camera, but also a microphone would be added to the Touch!

CB
December 30, 2009 at 6:10 AM

3G stands for 3rd Generation and has nothing to do with Phone service or speed. Well, at least where the Tough is concerned.

Nicole
January 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM

They need to put a camera on the next generation!

Donsen
January 27, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Apples like cars they slowly change little thing for they can get money out of you instead of jumping to the good stuff . it's all about money !! hell i know you all have an idea for a ultimate device better than apple could ever think of .

james braselton
February 11, 2010 at 11:34 AM

hi there wow a camra on a ipod touch i have a 64 gb ipod touch with out a camra soo can they have a camra 128 gb flash drive and better grapics and more faster cpu more ram kind of like a ipad nano

David Chang
February 22, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Hey, really? You Didn't think cameras were coming to the iPod Nano? I just thought this post funny because it actually DID come to the Nano, and on top of that, NOT to the iTouch yet.... lol lol

Christopher
March 7, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Look, if thay add a microphone to the touch (not to some earphones on the thing) it would first make it a heep lode more monney if you where to buy one and it would basicly make it like i i phone.