Home » » Apple attempts to make jailbreaking look bad

Apple attempts to make jailbreaking look bad

Written By Unknown on Thursday, July 30, 2009 | 2:56 PM

jailbreakingTo anyone new here, a jailbreak or jailbreaking is the process of gaining root access to your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Touch 2G, IPhone 3G, or iPhone 3GS. With root access you can install additional applications including Cydia, Icy, and apps that are not approved in the App Store.

Why are people jailbreaking?

We all know that Apple has a very strict App Store approval system, and they've rejected many apps from the App Store for strange reasons. There are also certain apps that Apple will never approve in the App Store. Thankfully developers who worked hard on their apps and had their apps rejected from the App Store can release it to jailbroken devices. People who jailbreak have access to cool apps that allow them to modify their device and do what they want with it. Apple should have allowed us to fully modify our own devices but they don't like doing this.

What can I get by jailbreaking my device?

You can modify your Springboard/iPhone theme with the Winterboard app, you can mult-task with the Backgrounder app, you can unlock your iPhones, and a lot more interesting things.

Does jailbreaking void my warranty?

Yes, jailbreaking voids your warranty.

Apple's recent post on Jailbreaking

Apple recently made an article making negative points about jailbreaking. They're against it, why wouldn't they? I'm going to list some of the points that they made below and also post my own arguments.

1. Apple says that jailbreaking causes device and application instability:  This is only true if you install certain applications from Cydia. I've never had any problems with my apps. If any app causes problems you can simply uninstall it.

2. According to Apple jailbreaking causes unreliable voice and data: Apple is saying you get dropped calls, slow or unreliable connections, and delayed or inaccurate location data. This is not true, I have yet to experience this.

3. Your battery life is less due to jailbreaking: Your battery life can't decrease just because of jailbreaking. It can however decrease depending on the apps you install, and the processes that you have enabled. If you installed SSH you must remember to turn it off whenever you're not using it. If you're using Backgrounder, it obviously uses more battery because it keeps the other apps enabled in the background.

4. Jailbreaking can make your device not work with future iPhone OS firmware: That's not true. You can always factory restore your device to the original iPhone OS firmware if this happens.

Have anything to add? Leave a comment below, and let Apple know how you feel about jailbreaking!

[via Apple]

Nick
July 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Geez talk about censorship by apple, and even if that was all true then Apple: 1, Jailbreaking Community: 400 billion

Ennaesor
July 30, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I love jailbreaking.

Shaf
July 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM

ashot
July 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM

this is not true there aren't that many iphone users.

Atashot
July 30, 2009 at 6:01 PM

ashot, there are that many iPhone users!

Jake
July 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

No it isn't true, there aren't even 400 billion people in the world

Kurt
July 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM

The voice and data is not true. It's only the network

July 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Apple forgot to add, Jailbreaking, means you get faster security updates for things like the recent SMS hack.

Oh wait... that's a positive.

Lew

Lukring
July 30, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Geez! My friend didn't wanna jailbreak hers coz of the warranty but she has returned her phone more than twice & gets a new one coz there's always something wrong with it. I haven't had a dropped call since i jb mine :) kudos to u guys! Those few days that my phone was not jb bored the heck out of me!

Neal
July 31, 2009 at 3:14 AM

@Shaf - "In my opinion, the main reason the iPhone is a best seller us because of ppl like us that loves modifying our devices.."

I'm wholeheartedly in favor of allowing folks to jailbreak their iPhones but I hope you don't actually believe that statement. I'd wager the jailbreak community is a pretty small percentage of all iPhone users.

Newbha
July 31, 2009 at 3:46 AM

Lol.apple ATTEMPS haha.

IphONE3gS
July 31, 2009 at 5:17 AM

it will decrease battery life by running backgrounds with winterboard.

I have 25 wallpapers change every 7 seconds with a ripple effect.

Its worth the extra charge though.

Booger
July 31, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Not only that, there are not even 7 billion people on earth!

Inside_source
July 31, 2009 at 8:00 AM

As an apple iphone tech support agent, jailbreaking your phone will not void the warrantee, The official policy to agents is that if the jailbreaking software is deemed to cause the issue then the warrantee in null and void, we will however support the phone and any issues. And yes my phone is jailbroken... lolz

john
July 31, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Jailbreaking is the only reason i got the iphone.

I will absolutely say the iphone SUCKS unless its jailbroken.

Mike
July 31, 2009 at 10:16 AM

actually there isn't 400 billion people.. look it up.

Yanis
July 31, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Not sure what the basis of your claim is that JB voids the warrantee but I think you may find that it is otherwise. Software maybe but definitely NOT hardware. Here in Australia there is no way a JB could over ride the statutory warrantee obligations and I suspect it is the same in most places.

ozkr
July 31, 2009 at 12:30 PM

warrantee??? of course it is voided if you show'em the JBroken iphone. just restore it and no problems anymore

iphone209
August 1, 2009 at 8:06 PM

me too :)

brian
August 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM

That's not true. I have an unJB'd iPhone 3GS, and I must say jailbreaking isn't a very smart thing to do in my opinion. I tried it when I had my 3G, and after a while I had so many problemswith it, so I restored it, and, like magic all my bugs on my phone went away. But, if you want to jbyour iPhone,don't let me stop you. You can have all your problems to deal with.

-Brian

Dario
August 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Dude, I honestly agree.
A non JB iPhone is actually probably one of the most boring/expensive phones.. Sure the outside looks nice, but the phone itself would suck. App's are something I just dont see myself spending money on, and so I JB mine, and never had ANY problems through the multiple iPhones I've had.

And to people who are so against JB'ing, commenting and saying that 'those problems are yours to deal with, not mine', should in all honesty, shut the f up. I've never heard about any damage done to a phone due to jailbreaking, or any type of problem. Sure problems such as not getting cydia to work, but that only requires a simple rejailbreak of the phone. I even had a friend who's had the Wi-Fi problems; after jailbreaking, they were gone.

Jailbreaking is FTW.
If you disagree, you honestly suck at life.

chad
August 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM

why do you idiots think there has to be 400 billion people in order to have a score that high. normally when folks do the "us 1 them 0" it denotes a score not a population. funny someone tries to make a joke and theres always a smartass. this time though they come out looking like idiots.

Jason
August 3, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Short Text-Lines: How-to Jailbreaking for Dummies"

Keys to success on JB for Dummies...
Why ud failed in JB? What cuz dropped calls? R cuz various fkup to your iPhone while JB? Why u failed?y cried?
Let me tell u y...

Babies new born... which steps that they all have to go thru before they can run...
Read careful..

New born .. After 7months .. Learn Crawling ... ! After 15months.. Walking ...Then running ..

Same as JB, following the JB instructions, if failed or having problem with it functions, then repeating the JB steps .. Don't just sit there and crying ..
Failure ... Do it at least 10 times .. I'm sure 'u'll be smarter !!!

Without JB? I don't think the iPhone is your .. I beleive that the iPhone without JB is still own by Apple.. That's really suxx!!!

Alex S
August 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM

wtf? Jason if your getting that translated, dude find a better translator. As for jailbreaking, I think it's so worth it. Before I jailbroke it was just another thing to spend money on, couldn't even change the backgrounds or anything. Now I'm actually making themes and submitting them to winterboarder to host. And I've got like 3 gb of apps free =D I admit I did and still do have some problems with my itouch, but nothing unfix-able. JB ftw

Brandon
August 3, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Apple neglects to mention the 25,000 paid apps you can pirate with a jailbreak, which leaves them $71,442 out the ass. I would have mentioned it...

August 4, 2009 at 2:28 AM

regarding warantee void: I swapped my phone twice from the apple store due to HW (LCD) malfunction and battery problems the second time. The first time I restored factory settings and they swapped it gladly. the second time I went in with bigger balls (had cydia and 5x5+5 icons, t-mobile sim (to be honest I had the ATT sim in my pocket just in case), and I had a massive theme for everything...
They swapped it again (with attitude from the genius) and again I had to restet to erase my info... so bottom line don't worry about the warranty; it voids after a year of 1st activation...

Nitro Noddy
August 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM

It all comes down to choice at the end of the day.

I paid for my first Iphone (2G) and jailbroke it. I still use the phone company I had then (O2 here in England) and have had no call drops / bad errors. O2 still get my £30 per month contract fee and I still only use about 5 Mins of my 1000 call time and average 200 txt's a month from my 600 txt's a month allowance. So, have Apple lost out because I jailbroke? have O2 lost out because I jailbroke? The answer is NO to both.

I will be upgrading to the new Iphone 3GS soon and yes I will be jailbreaking that too!

Why? Because I like to have different sounds and a different look than other Iphone users. It's MY choice. If it all goes wrong do I cry? No I simply restore thru iTunes.

And as far as apps go I try an app and if I like it I buy it. Simples!

Apple could of made a good phone great by allowing custom sound / themes etc but they decided not to. I personally think they could of made a killing by allowing people to sell their theme creations on the app store (hell, they sell enough other shite apps at silly money)

And if all goes pete tong (wrong) at the end of the day and your iPhone is bricked Apple get another sale. So it's win win all the way for Apple.

STEVE
August 4, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Its a figure of speech! Don't take life soo literally!!!

Larry
August 5, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I decided to jailbreak my iPhone after the whole debacle with Google Voice. Jailbreaking allowed me to ad an app for that, and since having my phone open to apps that Apple wouldn't approve, I've installed Backgrounder (allows multiple apps to run concurrently) VoipOver3g (allows Slingplayer and SIP Voip apps to run over 3G instead of wi-fi only) PDAnet (allows tethering of my laptop to the 3G network) and Cycorder (3rd party video recorder that Apple has disabled in the iPhone 3G running 3.0 firmware) and SBSettings (allows quick and easy access to certain configuration options).

After jailbreaking, I've found that all other iPhone functions continue working as before. There is no downside to this, and my iPhone has a lot more functionality and usefulness now. Funny thing is, had Apple not rejected the apps for Google Voice, I would not have been tempted to try this.

Sandman
August 5, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Bottom line, and for the most part I'm sure we all agree that what's the point of owning an iPhone if we can't personalize it to our preferences. Jailbreaking ROCKS!

Artur G
August 6, 2009 at 1:31 AM

I have upgraded my iPhone 2G from version 1.x to 3.0.1.

After using redsn0w with options (Cydia and Unlock), my iPhone stucks on bootloading. I see only the Apple logo.

The install process worked fine but now I'm stucked with it!

What should I do?

LJ
August 6, 2009 at 3:34 AM

I don't understand why apple just doesn't hire someone from the jailbreakibg community and allow for us to have more options with the device! Heck if they'd just allow us to have a background and video recording on the 3g I think sales for them would skyrocket! But noooo, they just want to be negative and Steve jobs just wants to be a hard ass and not admit that he couldn't have thought of such a cool thing! Me, I will never unjailbreak my 3g cause I like not paying $9.99 for metal gear solid touch, and dtunes is the shisnit!

dweebken
August 7, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I tried jailbreaking my iPod Touch for a while when it was V2.2.1. I then found the battery would be flat after just over 24 hours from each recharge, so it was useless to me. You say to turn SSH off or something? What's that anyway, I don't remember installing that or know how to turn it off or that I even should turn it off. I gave up after a while and installed iPhone 3.0 software from Apple, now my battery lasts over a week. Think I'll stay with the official apps. Ans who needs GV apps on an iPod touch anyway!

Andras
August 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM

I jailbroke 1st to have Russian Lang support in SMS and video capture. Now foreign language support is included but still no video cap.
2nd I have to migrate from
windows to Linux coz M$ hates me and the only way to have access to the iPhone is via ssh. Awaiting a real alternative to iTunes.

August 8, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I had a problem with my iPhone it kept muting my mic during calls I simpley restored it in safe mode, the genius bar connected it up to there mac and guess what the didn't detect a thing and replaced my iPhone, 30 mobs later it was jailbroken again and no problems since. Touch wood!!!!

Joshua J
August 10, 2009 at 1:25 AM

This problem has happened to a lot of my friends as well. The best thing i can suggest is to rejailbreak your iphone and try again. But this time dont unlock from redsn0w do it from cydia by adding the source.

Joshua J
August 10, 2009 at 1:34 AM

apple just full of bs. they're trying to scare ppl into a state of complacency so that they can do what ever they want with the iPhones later on. My theory is that they are probably trying to find a way to make ppl believe that if they jailbreak their iphones, they will feel like they've committed some horrible crime. The way i look at it, the more ppl that jailbreak; the harder it's going to be for apple to try and beat us. They would have to find a way to implement some sort of virus into the firmware that would cause the comp of someone trying to break the code to crash. But that would be illegal so they are just going to release update after update in hopes that we'll just say: "the hell with it." But that's never gonna happen.... I hope

Randy
August 13, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Jailbreakimg voids warranty, yes. But if you do a full system restore, is there any evidence of your phone being jailbroke? Email me on this romeosback03@yahoo.com

athynz
August 13, 2009 at 11:32 PM

@Randy - there should be no way for them to tell if you do a full restore prior to any service being done at the Apple Store.

Bib
August 14, 2009 at 4:12 AM

Do u not think it's as easy for dev or pwn to turn and round say.. Yeh jailbreaking doesn't cause those things to happen.. After I jailbroke my phone I have experianced a dramatic drop on the performance of my iPhone.. After going bk to original FW works perfect.. Is apple word against pwn and dev

J-Man
August 15, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I had a problem with one of my iPhone 3g's where I wasn't able to restore to the original firmware due to a short in the bottom of my phone. Point being, I sent my jailbroken phone to apple under warranty and they replaced it, no questions asked, free of charge. That was my 2nd phone, they sent me a third and the wifi didn't work. So I am now on my 4th iPhone this year and I still have 2 months warranty left. I event talk to an apple rep over the phone when I was getting my 4th and I asked him why they didn't like it. All he really had to say was that it messes up the phone and that apple had been cracking down on the dev team of jailbreaking. What a dumbass. Anyways, off to redsn0w this *****! Woo Hoo!! Hip Hip Hooray for Jailbreaking!!!!!!

Heather
August 19, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Hi,,,

Im thinking bout jailbreaking my Iphone 3g...Not sure how, Im spending hours and hours trying find away where i understand and feel comfortable with any recommendations?

james
August 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM

um can u tell me if this is true or not i herd that in six months apple has found a way to stop all jailbreaking there will be a itunes update that locks ur iphone up 4 ever and u cant make it back to restore mode or dfu and that

IGal
August 19, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I've had a 3g and jb it. Yes I did do restores to it coz of incompatible issues from apps, but by learning I ssh'd into the device and deleted the problems. Also I know ppl who had problems after updates from apples updates that messed up their iPod touches. I have a 3gs now jb and always will be. I believe in being able to do whatever u want with ure phone. And if things go haywire w/your device u can always restore to new. Yes to jb always.

kunj
August 23, 2009 at 1:16 AM

you can get the firmware for iphone 3g on blog.iphone-dev.org/ and download redsn0w .......first open redsn0w and tell u to browse the firmware then they will tell you what to do in steps....also you can find the firmware on google.....redsn0w you can find it in google 2....

Maclin
August 24, 2009 at 3:52 PM

You know I have to say I fell really sorry for any one who bought the 500$ iPhone. Imean no app and now jailbreak and it was really a iPod nano with touch screen. Well before 2.1 and jb now 3.0 the iPhone /itouch is the best I have an itouch I'm on it right now and I like to comparit with the g1. My friend has one and we conpare each other like "oh i have cp and ps ,so I have really awsome games so... So ya iPhone/itouch best invention ever

September 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I think JB ing has ups and downs, I JB my iTouch and I got a better WiFi connection 100
percent of the time.

Josh
November 29, 2009 at 4:44 AM

Well i was wondering if there was any way that you could get errors from cydia like the 1604 error and others.. because i just fixed my ipod again and im not sure if it had crashed before from the jail breaking?