Home » » What's new in iPhone OS 3.1 beta?

What's new in iPhone OS 3.1 beta?

Written By Hans Berger on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 | 1:03 PM

Apple recently released iPhone OS 3.1 beta firmware and SDK to developers. Unless you're a developer I recommend you to not download this firmware and wait for the final 3.1 firmware to be released. Apple hasn't announced when iPhone OS 3.1 will be released, but I will make a post here notifying you once it's out!video-save-as-iphone3gs

Here are some new features that have been discovered in iPhone OS 3.1 beta so far:

• The baseband has been updated to 5.08.01 - ultrasn0w users should not use the iPhone OS 3.1 beta, otherwise their iPhones could be permanently locked!

• iPhone 3GS - When you're trimming your videos you now have the option of saving the original video by tapping the "Save as copy" button.

• Voice Control is finally working over bluetooth now!

• When you move your icons around the iPhone vibrates

• MMS is enabled by default but does not work for AT&T users

• The AT&T profile is updated to 4.2

• Improvements to OpenGL and Quartz

• There's now a VideoEditorController API - Allows third party apps to call up video editing UI

• Video picker API

I'll update this post as more features are discovered!

[Thanks The iPhone Blog, When Will Apple, and MobileCrunch!]

Sonny
June 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Can I Have iphone OS 3.1 Beta

QuickPWN
June 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Yes, just go to http://developer.apple.com/iPhone/program/ and login to download it. ;)

Nathan
June 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

What about mms?

sal
June 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM

So no mms yet for at&t users?

dev
June 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Subscribed calendars in iCal on a Mac now show up with their events as MobileMe calendars

dev
June 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Tethering stil works!

sal
June 30, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Also I'm still on 2.2.1 and I want to update to 3.0 and jailbreak but not unlock. With the problems reported on 3.0 about overheating should I just wait for the release of 3.1?

dev
June 30, 2009 at 3:36 PM

iTunes store no longer has the bug where the apps rearrange themselves to defaults

Kunch
June 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Whats the build number please? =)

dev
June 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Now in Mail, Contacts, Calendar settings it now says for MobileMe: mail, contacts, calendars and 2 more...

Kunch
June 30, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Voice control over bluetooth BIG PLUS!!! it was stupid not to include this at 3.0 launch.

Dario
June 30, 2009 at 4:05 PM

You don't really need to worry about overheating unless you're an excessive user of highly graphical games, aswell as GPS. Not to mention, if you don't have a 3GS, I don't think you'll be experiencing any problems. Because the 3GS is quite faster than the 3G, the processing speed creates the extra heat, and because the phone is enclosed in it's small thin metal/plastic covering, heat has no where to escape, or at least not escape quickly.

I'm using 3.0 on my iPhone 3G, and I have no overheating problems so far. And I've had it since the release, so I've been able to test and actually use my phone; both by playing games, and using the GPS + 3G network etc..

John
June 30, 2009 at 4:17 PM

naaah , i got 3.0 on both of my phones and none of them heats up ,my 3GS obviously has 3.0 and it works great and my JB 2G works just fine with no overheating so...i dont think theyll be a problem with updating now...though i never recomend jailbrek...its too much of a headache, i only recomend it for people that REALLY want it

Chris
June 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I think is really dumb that there will be mms but not for AT&T.

tim
June 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Sal you should update to the 3.0 and don't worry about overheating the phone my family (with 7 iPhone 3G's and 3G S's) haven't had that problem.

Heli
June 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM

So what about mms I've been hearing rumors that AT&T may not include mms on iPhones like never!! Please tell me those rumors are only pure bs!

JP
June 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Can I JB the IPhone 3.1 like 3.0?

Dan
June 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Video picker API means third party can upload videos to sites other than YouTube?

EcH
June 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Overheating is a 3GS hardware issue, not the 3.0 update. Its possibly a batch of faulty batteries. MMS is enabled on the phone but your account still has to be touched by ATT to actually send/receive

andrew
June 30, 2009 at 11:39 PM

is that upgrade is for iphone 3g or 3gs..beacuase apparently all most of the new features are only for the 3gs
if it's not only for the 3gs
what is new for iphone 3G!! exept for the baseband thing as i dont see it as a feature.

Nick
June 30, 2009 at 11:42 PM

This is not iPhone OS 3.0, the actual new 3GS model of iPhone is the one overheating.

Go ahead and update!

June 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM

i hope the jailbreak for iphone 3G S will come out soon
i can't wait :p

albert
July 1, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I have 3.0 on iPhone 2G jailbreaked and unlocked and I don't see any overheating, and I play games a lot!
I would say is safe to do it but I can't know it for sure. I only know that my iphone does not overheats

July 1, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Sal,

You can try examining the post http://tr.im/30mms for details on how to activate MMS and Tethering http://tr.im/30tethering

July 1, 2009 at 1:55 AM

It's the new iPhone, the 3GS, that has been reported of overheating, not the 3.0 OS that's causing this. The 3.0 is just a software upgrade, and the one that's overheating is the new hardware upgrade, the new iPhone that you can buy called the 3GS. Two different things...

jpbjpb
July 1, 2009 at 2:23 AM

the overheating is only for ipone 3gs, and 3.0 has already been unlocked.

Francis
July 1, 2009 at 3:19 AM

Any word on whether skipping songs using Next/Previous controls is now possible over bluetooth headsets? It doesn't work in 3.0, and I'm hoping that gets fixed...

BlackLemonlime
July 1, 2009 at 3:45 AM

So.....Is this update going to fix the battery problem?

QuickPWN
July 1, 2009 at 5:58 AM

The build number is 7C97D.

QuickPWN
July 1, 2009 at 6:00 AM

All iPhone and iPod Touch devices except for the iPhone 3GS can always be jailbroken.

acenima
July 1, 2009 at 11:47 AM

cant wait for the final :)

Zeb
July 2, 2009 at 5:24 AM

the profile is updated tho? do u have to update the mobileconfigs file again to get tethering back or what?

chris@PH
July 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Just want to add... Most of the iphone 3g reprted here in the philippines, experience overheat problem right after updated to 3.0 i think its not just the hardware, apple/ mac philippines recommends us not to update to 3.0

Nicolai
July 6, 2009 at 2:59 AM

Can I have iPhone OS 3.1 beta without having to pay $99 for dev membership

Anonymous
July 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Of course Apple will not admit to their firmware causing the overheating.

This overheat is one of two reasons...

(1) During beta testing of 3.0, it was brought to the attention of Apple regarding the overheat, but was ignored as not possible.

(2) Apple did something prior to the release of the 3.0 firmware, which wasn't fully tested.

In any case, if so many people of having problem, and major companies have confirmed it as being the 3.0 release, then chances are Apple will fix this for the 3.1 release.

My guess it has something to do with power settings, but then again, its just a guess.

Balthazzar
July 8, 2009 at 8:56 PM

I see there's nothing for iphone 3g users. A lot for iphone 3gs though... Maybe ones with iphone 3g shouldn't download this firmware update.

KC
July 9, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Hi, is there any possibility of scrolling down to the bottom of the page faster rather than scrolling from top to bottom. As of now, OS3 can directly scroll to the top by pressing the top most space.

kittykitz
July 10, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I updated my iPhone 3G up to the 3.0 OS system beta, 2 weeks before the release, I had no issues with over heating, then I restored it to have the main launches 3.0 OS system. I have had no issues of overheating, so I dont know if it may just be a 3GS problem. Also may I point out, all Iphones are underclocked at 412MHz, but supposedly as apple say, the 3GS is faster. The 3GS could be clocked up at 500 MHz. This could cause easy overheating being felt, due to there being no fan on the phone.

Also, a little thought. Why didnt Apple just make an app in the 3.0 software to have the camera to be able to record videos, instead of it having to bring out another iPhone. Think smart Apple!

July 11, 2009 at 5:20 AM

That's great that voice control will work over bluetooth, because as OS 3.0 stands, it's still pointless for hands-free driving if you have to reach for the phone, and most bluetooth mics for cars have better noise cancelling.

But I'm very curious for 2 fixes:

1. Can we also now control tracks over bluetooth headsets (ie... right now, we can play songs and such, but no volume control, and it won't let you skip to the next/prev track using the stereo headset controls. Major flaw that I hope was fixed.

2. This is an issue that it seems some folks suffer, but not everyone. (Me, being one of the sufferers)... When I install some apps, and either reboot, or sometimes do nothing at all, the app, even if deleted and reinstalled/synced, will show a completely wrong icon (although the name and app itself remain fine). For example, my iPeng app uses a faded facebook icon. From what I've read, this is a case of file management, and for some reason, most often, the 3gs, uses an icon that's been deleted or moved when a new icon tries to take it's place.

KA
July 11, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Hey, so, when the 3.1 update is officially released (rumored to be July 17), us iPhone users who have AT&T will not have MMS? I didn't understand what you meant by "MMS is enabled by default but does not work for AT&T users". The iPhone is not released for Verizon or Sprint or any of that yet! I'm so confused. I've waited so long for MMS on the iPhone. Can someone please help?

Justin
July 11, 2009 at 8:25 AM

@ KC

the phone has been able to do that for a while actually

Justin
July 11, 2009 at 8:25 AM

@ KA
he means for other countries

sal
July 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Someone should make a petition for at&t users to allow us to use mms and send it to apple and at&t. I'm tired of being screwed for being an AT&T customer! I would totally sign it so we can put some pressure on these guys to enable us to use mms. I'm sure alot of people would sign it too!!

Valued iPhone User
July 12, 2009 at 2:22 AM

i have also been waiting for MMS. another feature i would like to see is a text forward. not crippling, but would be nice. i'm not happy with AT&T for lacking support for MMS. i was a sprint customer before & was happy with pricing & features. only reason i switched was to use the iPhone. i have friends who have been using their iPhone on another network (you can figure it out) & they can use MMS without any problems. it seems as though the support is better on other networks, too... paying extra to have the iPhone data plan should cover the features it is "supposed" to provide the user. i have heard others say give AT&T a break... they have had plenty of time to get their act together & i am leaning to switched networks to get the support i am actually paying for!! don't get me wrong, i am happy with my phone & what it can do... just would like to be able to get photos from friends & family without asking them to change their ease of use. i think AT&T needs to kick it up a notch now & make changes to keep the current users happy & it will draw more in... maybe?!?

Anthony
July 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I also have been very dissapointed in the fact that AT&T IPhone users cannot get MMS, the Apple Store provides MMS Apps, yet u buy them and they do not work, it it such a rip off for the consumer, Apple keeps sending these do i dare to say useless updates, most consumers dont even understand what is inside each update unless we are an electronics designer, yet u would think when they came out with SMS at first with the Iphone, they would think we would want MMS automatically installed into the firmware, but no, they want the allmighty dollar to cloud their judgement, see how much the consumer is willing to pay to have their IPhone do everything it should, i say we not give AT&T a break, they are 1 of the countries Top cellular communications provider, and now i think we need to let them know that they need to prove why they are, not just because of the service, the phones, but also for customer satisfaction as well, maybe it is time to send a petition to AT&T

CSmith
July 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM

This means that you can turn on mms in your message settings but since AT&T haven't activated mms it can't be used. I have 3.1 and I can open sms, type message and add picture. It will send message but not picture. 3.1 also has fraud warning for Safari.

July 18, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Hmmm I dunno..... Uthibk smart it's just making them more and more money they don't think convinience they think$$$$$$$$$

Pusoy2
July 28, 2009 at 7:22 AM

I know why you are having this kind of problem. Please check your Iphone and make sure it's not made in Philippines.

BH
July 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Let me get this straight, are the iPhones made in the Philippines the only ones with the overheating problems? I use 2.2.1 and am afraid to update to 3.0 just because of overheating. I hear a lot of 3g phones get hot too, not just 3gs. I really want to update though, maybe it will be resolved in 3.1?

Preston
July 31, 2009 at 2:54 PM

@kittykitz
Apple couldn't make an app to let people record on the iPhone 3G because the camera probably wasn't fast enough. It takes like 3 seconds to take a pic and a video would be very low quality. Developers did submit video recording apps to Apple, but they rejected them. They might have ended up in Cydia... If you are jailbroken with Cydia see if they have a video recording app I don't know.

Preston
July 31, 2009 at 2:58 PM

@BH
I updated my 3G to 3.0, and it is cool as it used to be with 2.x. With the great new features I think you should upgrade. An update can't make the processor faster or anything, so it can't heat up more then it usually does.

Vagrant
August 3, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Probably because they needed to add an MPEG encoder chip to the system. Software would be too slow to convert still frames into digital video.

August 4, 2009 at 5:20 AM

"Apple couldn’t make an app to let people record on the iPhone 3G because the camera probably wasn’t fast enough. It takes like 3 seconds to take a pic and a video would be very low quality."

This is a bunch of bs. Google a bit before you make a fool of yourself - According to Saurik (They guy who wrote Cycorder, the jailbroken 3g video app) -

"Record at the maximum speed of the iPhone camera (6-15 frames per second, depending only on lighting conditions) with no compression delay between pressing stop and getting to view the resulting video."

Bah! - So who needs a 3GS anyhow? :)

samuel
August 16, 2009 at 1:00 AM

just connect to the itunes it will ask for an upgrade ..so just do it no need to pay njoy

Michael
August 16, 2009 at 3:01 AM

Lay off AT&T. If you know what you are doing it is very possible to make MMS work right now with AT&T. AT&T's problem though is they are working on it a way to enable for the millions of us. Google it and you'll see how to make MMS work. So lay off

motoxrider365
August 16, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Thats been around for quite some time......

motoxrider365
August 16, 2009 at 8:29 AM

umm that says that the quality will be low because the frame rate is low and with it being a camera that is not the greatest it does capture slow....so maybe you should google a bit before you think ur all fancy

motoxrider365
August 16, 2009 at 8:30 AM

oooh lay off lay off...so if it is possible to work why cant they...hmmm maybe its cause they arent ready to handle all the customers cause their network spectrum is the size of a thread....google that

LP
August 17, 2009 at 7:17 AM

So another apple employee out here? If your phone is working fine then what are you doing here? The reason people come to these forums is to find a solution!

The iPhone OS 3.0 OS screwed up the iPhone especially the wifi and bluetooth. People who use wifi for more than 5 mins a day will figure that out.. Anyways . am sure the problem has got something to do with the processor.. or the thermal sensor settings.. which shut down the wifi when it reaches a temp too low for normal usage.. Only way to use the wifi is if you sit in a freezer @ -5C and hold the phone near the blower.

Shnuff
August 17, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Hello At&T is not the only carier in the world.
The OS 3.1 will be released worldwide not only in the USA

jeremy
August 20, 2009 at 12:05 AM

6-15 fps isnt that bad... its about the same quality as most point and click cameras. 24 fps is considered standard quality and is used for dvds.

Megan
August 22, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Do you know when at&t users will get MMS capabilities (if ever)..?? I have been waiting and waiting.. :( any clues?

jack
August 23, 2009 at 8:42 PM

hey i updated my iphone to 3.1 and now ive lost my internet on my iphone does anyone know what i need to do ??

Curt
August 24, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I bout a iphone 3G and a 2 year plan in march EXPECTING the MMS features to be enable in summer, its august 25th now summers nearly over, and weve been making our cracks for our PROMISED MMS. ATT is fully capable of MMS for iphone, as proves the SIM swap thing. I went to att believing their commercials, leaving US CEllular (Fuck US cellular no doubt, no fucking SIM? bullshit.) But yeah, iof u can do a sim swap and make ur iphone mms enable, wtfs the problem? Pull the stick out ATT.

Curt
August 24, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I updated my 3g to 3.0 and my edge network internet is very unreliable. i cant figure out why, only thing that fixes is is the reset while holding the home and power button, then it quits working sooner or later anyways.

LOL
September 1, 2009 at 1:11 AM

FYI there's no iphone that are made in the Philippines!

Faux
September 1, 2009 at 5:04 AM

Approximately how many days after the official OS 3.1 release, will the jailbreak come out?

byrn
September 7, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Faux, I imagine it will be more like hours rather than days :)

Whats the rush anyways?