Home » » Jailbreak iPhone 3GS

Jailbreak iPhone 3GS

Written By Hans Berger on Thursday, June 25, 2009 | 3:46 PM

iPhone 3GS jailbreak

I can't remember the number of times someone has e-mailed me saying "Can the iPhone 3GS be jailbroken?" Apple has put too many restrictions on the iPhone so iPhone users these days need to jailbreak or PWN their iPhone in order to customize it the way they want to. The Dev Team have previously confirmed with us that the jailbreaking of the iPhone devices can be permanently blocked with a simple hardware upgrade, so it made sense for us to believe that Apple would block the jailbreak on the new iPhone 3GS.

Thankfully, Geohot (the first person to ever create an iPhone 3G Unlock) has been working hard on figuring out whether or not we can jailbreak iPhone 3GS. I have good news to share with iPhone 3GS users. The iPhone 3GS can be jailbroken! Geohot confirmed this in his recent blog post. The iPhone 3GS is vulnerable to the same 24kpwn exploit that is in the iPod Touch 2G. Here is what Geohot said:
With the help of chronic, posixninja, and pod2g, I verified that it is still vulnerable to the 24kpwn exploit present in the iPod Touch 2G. This is great news for all of you. Basically, this means if someone makes a tethered jailbreak, it becomes untethered, because the boot chain is broken. Expect big things soon =)

iPhone 3GS users, don't worry. Looks like Geohot or the DevTeam will be having an iPhone 3GS jailbreak and iPhone 3GS unlock for us very sooner than you think! Planning on jailbreaking/unlocking your iPhone 3GS? Scroll up to the top and subscribe to our newsletter. We'll have a full guide up for you once it's out.

sal
June 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM

wow that's awesome! To bad I don't have a 3GS yet. But I am still waiting on the 3.0 jailbreak for the 3G iPhone. Any clue as to when it will be out??

June 25, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Thanks,3gs out here in Ireland today , gonna pick one up

June 25, 2009 at 5:35 PM

hello if u wanto to unlock ur iphone 3g 3.0 1.Ensure you have upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0.
2.Jailbreak your iPhone 3G using redsn0w or PwnageTool (this will also install Cydia/Icy).
3.Run Cydia or Icy.
4.Please add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia or Icy. That last “o” is actually the number zero “0”! If you use the letter “o” you’ll get an error.
5.Search for ‘ultrasn0w’ in cydia or icy and install ultrasn0w.
6.Reboot your iPhone 3G.
7.T-Mobile USA users should disable 3G before using ultrasn0w

Rob
June 26, 2009 at 12:53 AM

I did the redsn0w thing and all was well till yesterday when i tried to update a package off of cydia that turned out to be a bad link and now after it crashed lastnight i can no longer get into cydia! It gets to the loading screen then immediately reverts back to the springboard. Any ideas on how to reinstall ir delete cydia without restoring?! never had this problem with the quickPWN jailbreak on 2.2.1

June 26, 2009 at 1:05 AM

redsn0w has been out for a awhile to JB the 3g on OS 3.0

Gee digital
June 27, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Yea. Yea. This is wusup ... For a sec I thought it wasn't gonna be possible....

Ton'z
June 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM

first of all which version of the redsn0w did you use? the latest version 7.2 it allows you to install cydia and icy. DON'T install icy and cydia together. I did mine and it crashed my ipod. Just install the cydia. I suggest that you restore and do it all over again. Your ipod or iphone will work just fine.

hidri
August 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM

hi i just got my iphone 3gs and is updated through itunes on 3.0.1
and now i would like to jailbreak it is there any way of doing this as every one just dont cut too much cornes and prob starts comeing up.

thanks

ARCADIAN
August 3, 2009 at 6:40 AM

Yeah I want my 3GS iphone Jailbroken, will I lose Anything?? like compass or something other or??

Let me know eeerrr post it here!

Thanks!

I have AT&T SO no need to unlock mine yet!

YO YO
August 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM

PPL dont jailbreak ur iphone. i jailbroke my iphone 3gs and it freezes and acts stupid sometimes so dont do it.

3GS
August 6, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I also had my 3GS jailbroken and it does freeze sometimes requiring a restart. My question is wether you can restore the phone to the original settings or upgrade to the 3.0.1 without bricking the phone? I have heard Apple made it so your phone will brick if you unlock and then try to restore.. I'd rather deal with a buggy jailbreak then an expensive brick. Anyone have insight on this? Did you jailbreak/unlock your 3GS and restore to 3.0.1 with or without problems? Thanks!

magical
August 27, 2009 at 6:34 AM

hi, just got brand new iphone 32gb 3gs 3.0.1, i have jail broken fine everthing is great appart from i can't install any apps i have downloaded on my itunes only paid apps ? any one with any clues how to do this ? i have tried a number of patch's but still no joy?

any help appreciated
regards

KEN
August 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I need thr firmware to jailbreak and unlock my 32Gis 3GS ihone i have tried purplera1n and redsnow, and qpwn qnd no luck please send me the firmware link so I can get thi don

Thanks alot for your reply

Susan
September 3, 2009 at 10:57 PM

how much does jailbreaking usually cost?

Susan
September 3, 2009 at 10:57 PM

where did u jailbreak it?

Hello Susan
December 7, 2009 at 8:42 PM

^^
ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

Raikke
December 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM

About SMS message period of validity.

A brand new Iphone 3GS phone has the SMS message validity period defined by operator, usually 3 days.

If a message cannot be delivered in this defined time to the destination, (for example the receptionist keeps phone switched off) message will be destroyed?

It seems to be not possible to change this setting in Iphone 3GS, not just as usually in most cell phones, from 1 hour to 7 days or even more!!?

Also one can't get no info if or when a message has been delivered, or is it still waiting for delivery or has VP exceeded..!
It can be get also by typing before message one of marks *K#, *N#, -K-, (etc., depending on operator).

If and when JailBreak has been done, e.g. using program "Blackra1n" the validity time is 10h. However, there in program "biteSMS" is 'Message delivered' facility included,
but I haven't found any program which has this mentioned facility for changing the period of message's validity. This has been often needed to ensure that an important message really has been delivered and that it has not been erased before recipient has seen it!
For me 3 days is mostly long enough, but that 10 hours is far too short and about this limit would be necessary for many JB users to know e.g. via public areas.

Can anyone tell, does JB or any after installed program really change that period?

All comments about this matter will be welcome!

pierie
December 31, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Susan, jailbreaking is something you can do yourself. The developers of the tools are kind enough to let you download it for free. you should not pay someone for it, but you can make a donation to the developers.

Pauloo
February 11, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Please help. My Iphone 3gs was given to a friend to help with some applications, however, he connected it to the internet and upgraded it. Now the phone is lock and could do anything with it for days.

Angel Bueno
March 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Does anybody know when geohot or the dev team is gonna release the 3gs 3.1.3 jailbreak/unlock? I hate using my iPhone as an iPod. Please help and may it come quick. It's unbearable not being able to use my phone!!

anand
March 30, 2010 at 5:22 AM

does any body knows that wat to do. i try to restore my iphone i was using 3.0 but i dont know now i try to do so many thing to get back the normail screen i try to jail break with black rain but i m tired it is not working?it takes the sim card but in the screen it comes itunes and the plug. i try to push home bottom and corner bottom. i try so many times please if somebody will help me i will be so thankful ,,,,,,