Home » » iTunes 8.2 Released: Jailbreakers don't update yet

iTunes 8.2 Released: Jailbreakers don't update yet

Written By Unknown on Monday, June 1, 2009 | 11:04 AM

In preparation for the iPhone OS 3.0 software update Apple has released iTunes 8.2 today. iTunes 8.2 will be compatible with iPhone and iPod Touches running on iPhone OS 3.0 firmware and also has improved security and bug fixes. If you are using a jailbroken iPhone or iPod Touch don't update just yet. Read Musclenerd's tweet below to find out why:
Today's iTunes 8.2 update changes the way your computer talks to the device. This affects things the current jailbreaking tools when they try to identify what's connected. Also, ssh over usb breaks due to same reasons. Fixes are in the works but for now avoid 8.2.

Do not worry about loosing your jailbreak, no matter what the current iPod Touches and iPhones will always be jailbreakable.

Once you have uninstalled iTunes 8.2 you can download & reinstall  iTunes 8.1 for Mac or iTunes 8.1 for Windows. Knowing the iPhone Dev Team the updated jailbreaking tools will be released very soon. For now don't install iTunes 8.2 and stay tuned for more updates!

[via Macworld]

Alexander
June 2, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Who is make quickpwn 3.0

June 2, 2009 at 4:11 AM

Unfortunately I already installed 8.2 and iPhone Browser stopped working. I uninstalled and installed 8.1.1 and it is till not working. Any suggestions?

Danny Dan Dan
June 2, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Hi
I downloaded iTunes 8.2 with my jailbroken iPod touch 2g with the firmware 2.2.1 and it worked fine :D just to let you guys know.

Thanks

QuickPWN
June 2, 2009 at 5:30 AM

@Navec245: Restoring or rejailbreaking will fix your problem.

@Alexander: iPhone Dev Team will release QuickPWN for iPhone OS 3.0 once the final 3.0 firmware is out.

@Danny Dan Dan: It will work fine for now if you're already jailbroken, but for those that are not they will experience problems with the current PwnageTool/QuickPwn jailbreaking tools until they are updated.

June 2, 2009 at 5:52 AM

Type your Hi,

Thanks for replying to my post on your board. I would be interested in rejailbreaking but am not so sure that it is worth it at this time. All of my jailbroken apps still appear to work. My only need to connect with iPhone Browser is to edit some icons but everything else I could do from my phone.

If I do rejailbreak will all of my Cydia apps have to redownloaded? Any assistance is appreciated.

Navec 245
here ...

Danny Dan Dan
June 2, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Ok thanks Quickpwn!

But I have have the same question as Navec245
when I update to the 3.0 firmware (when released) and rejailbreak it will all my cydia apps
Be deleted??

Thanks

June 6, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Hi i downloaded itunes 8.2 then jailbroke my iphone not knowing this would happen and now my phone wont register my carrier so i cant call text.... any ideas on how to fix this any help will be greatly appreciated:-)

June 6, 2009 at 1:10 PM

i recently downloaded itunes 8.2 and now my phone won't sync or back up information. i uninstalled 8.2 and searched for 8.1 and followed quickpwn's directions to get 8.1 back and its not working. now i'm stuck, and if my phone crashes or anything i won't have my contacts or anything.. I need help?? please, if anyone know 8.1 download link, please help??

June 6, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I tried to install jailbreak the other day for the first time. Unfortunalty i tried it at 5:30 in the morning after i updated itunes and there was no warning to not install jailbreak. My phone permanently locked with the pineapple on the screen. the MAC OSX side of my computer would not aknowledge my iphone and the Vista side, itunes would just freeze. There was no restoring my iphone.

Enrique
June 7, 2009 at 12:27 AM

After entering the codes above my computer froze! So i shut it down by pressing onto the power button when i turned it on again there is a flashing folder with a "?". Any fix. I cant startup my computer now !

Rightpricedelectrical
June 7, 2009 at 3:56 AM

Before rejailbraking install aptbackup from cydia to backup 3rd party apps.

1. Open cydia and search for aptbackup (install)

2. Open aptbackup and make a backup

3. Conect your iPhone to of and open iTunes. Sync your iPhone make sure all apps is selected in the sync settings.

4. Make a backup of your iPhone by right clicking on your iPhones name under the my devices on the left of iTunes.

5. Rejailbreak your iPhone.

6. Restore your iPhones contacts etc

7. Open cydia and search for aptbackup and install it again.

8. Open aptbackup and click restore.

All of your apps downloaded through cydia (3rd party apps) should now re appear on your iPhones spring board.

Raheel
June 7, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Hi

I jailbroke to 2.2.1 and unlocked however when u put my orange sim in the phone has a emergency call only screen which i cant get out of but i have orange reception and can recieve calls but cant do anything else.

Can anyone help

Jbutler
June 7, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I downloaded itunes 8.2 and my jailbroken iPhone is running good. Nothing happens

June 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM

i tried to go to that link for 8.1 and they have updated it to 8.2 do you know where else i can go. i searched for it in my search engine and could not find it. thnaks

June 7, 2009 at 5:57 PM

when will we be able to download itunes 8.2?

Evrugg
June 7, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Hello - I download iTunes 8.2 and my jailbroken itouch still works fine. Thanks evrugg

June 7, 2009 at 11:16 PM

hm... installed 8.2, and no problem with iPhone Tunnel Suite.
Dunno what's the matter

June 8, 2009 at 2:13 AM

As far as I am aware, if you rejaibreak, you will need to reinstall all of your cydia apps. You can however download 'Springback' which takes a snapshot of which apps you have downloaded. When you sync with iTunes, this backup will be included as part of the iTunes backup.

I believe you would then jailbreak your device, do a restore in iTunes and then download Sprinback again. You can then use this to restore your downloads. This will download all the apps again although you would need to reconfigure.

QuickPWN
June 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM

@Bob: You can download it right now if your iPhone or iPod Touch is jailbroken. For new jailbreakers QuickPwn will have a problem because iTunes 8.2 has different protocols. iPhone Dev Team plans to update QuickPwn to work with iTunes 8.2 and release it some time when the final 3.0 firmware is out.

QuickPWN
June 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM

@Enrique: Yikes, you must have mistyped a certain command! I recommend you search on Google to find something out or join the forums and post your problem in more details Maybe someone may be able to help.

June 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I already downloaded iTunes 8.2. I have tried to delete the 8.2 and then install 8.1 but when I do I have an error that the library cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes and will not even allow 8.1 to open. Anyone know how I can get around this or fix this problem to get back to a workable 8.1?

Peacekeeperz
June 9, 2009 at 3:13 AM

To Jason after you uninstall you still have a iTunes libary folder in my music it must be deleted for the iTunes 8.1 to replace. The uninstall doesn't remove that folder.

Rick
June 15, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Hi i have iphone 3g 2.2.1 jaibroke my phone does not wakeup after sleep mode then i connect to itune it shows in recovery mode, any idea what is wrong with my phone i have itune 8.2?????

Jamesapp
June 16, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Sean
Have you tried entering dfu mode?

June 16, 2009 at 5:11 AM

Ater following the instructions for uninstalling itunes, I as well had my computer freeze. After power off/on, my macbook failed to recognize OSX, it would only boot into my partition for windows. After doing some research, apparently damn super user crap doesnt like how I typed it in. So off the counter it went on the unforgiving stone floor. Oh and wouldn't you know it, best buy's replacement plan was there to help. Thanks best buy, you guys are great and now i have the new 2.53 instead. also, no problems anyways with an already jailbroken 2.2.1. you guys should specify that this is for would-be jailbreakers. Thanks!

June 16, 2009 at 6:46 AM

A warning to anyone using the info above to uninstall iTunes 8.2 on a Mac - I entered in those terminal commands and got an error on my iMac's startup disk and ended up having to reinstall Leopard. Use with caution.

June 16, 2009 at 7:59 AM

try rejailbreaking your iphone without any sim card installed and it should work..i had the same problem with iphone 2G 16G running 2.2.1!!

joe
June 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Devonanne i concur do not use those commands my macbook pro only boots to my windows partition thanks quickpwn.com really i apreciate your help

June 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM