Home » » iPhone SDK 3.1 and iPhone OS 3.1 Beta Available to Developers

iPhone SDK 3.1 and iPhone OS 3.1 Beta Available to Developers

Written By Hans Berger on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 | 10:19 AM

iphoneos-_31beta

I just received the following e-mail from Apple:

iPhone SDK 3.1 beta and iPhone OS 3.1 beta are now posted to the iPhone Dev Center. These versions are for development and testing only and should be installed on devices dedicated to iPhone OS 3.1 beta software development. Please read the iPhone OS Pre-Install Advisory and the iPhone SDK 3.1 beta release notes before downloading and installing.

Use the Apple Bug Reporter if you discover compatibility or functionality issues while testing with the iPhone OS 3.1 beta release.

iPhone SDK 3.1 beta and iPhone OS 3.1 beta is now available to developers. If you're a developer head on over to the iPhone Developer center and get the latest iPhone 3.1 beta download!

Update: ultrasn0w users, do not update and read my iPhone OS 3.1 updated to baseband 05.08.01 post. Also read my What's new in iPhone OS 3.1 beta post to find out about the new features.

QuickPWN
June 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Are you talking about the SDK? It only works on a Mac.

Marnix
June 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Does it works on windows ?

Ali Jalloul
June 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM

What's new with the iPhone =S 3.1, and where can I find it? Thanx

QuickPWN
June 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

This is iPhone OS 3.1 BETA, and it's only available to iPhone Developers. If you are not one then you shouldn't be downloading it. Wait for the final iPhone OS 3.1 firmware to be released!

Ali Jalloul
June 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Ok ;) You know when it will be released?

QuickPWN
June 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Nope, but I'll make a post here once they do release the final iPhone OS 3.1 firmware. :)

Jedoonat
June 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Well, if some of the developers would be so kind as to give us a heads up on what 3.1 is all about that would be awesome. I'd like to if it's just a bug fix thing and/or they'll be some new feature we can expect.

Ali Jalloul
June 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

And what will be new with the 3.1?

Mário
June 30, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Will it brick my 3G if I try to download and install it illegaly?

QuickPWN
June 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM

It most likely will do more than that. Just wait for the final build! There's really no point in updating unless you're a developer. ;)

Nicolai
June 30, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Well what if I want to download it anyway, what are the risks, and can u give me a guess when it'll be released

Andrew
June 30, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Most likely 3.1 will be addressing the issues that Apple overlooked with 3.0 As a developer I agree with the admin, there is really no point in getting beta firmware unless you write apps because nothing app wise that is currently available would make use of new features or even let you see what is new.

June 30, 2009 at 4:30 PM

@Nicolai - If you are not registered as a developer you will not be able to use your iphone. it will only show the screen with the itunes logo and a usb cord. Every iphone has a unique number associated with it and when you log into itunes with it, the Apple servers will check it and if it is not a registered number then it "bricks" your phone. If you are not a developer or run a tech website I will say it is not worth it at all. If you use your phone every day it will be buggy, slow and annoying. I did all the betas of 3.0 and at times they felt unusable because they were so slow, and choppy. I would highly recommend you to wait for it. They do betas so they can get everything right with it before they release to the masses. if this still does not convince you to wait, then I am sure you can find someone to add you to their dev account for cheap. But don't say I didn't warn you when you want to throw your iphone against the wall.

June 30, 2009 at 7:37 PM

If you download the beta firmware and you are not a paid apple developer your iPhone will sit on the "Connect to iTunes" screen. It will not be usable unless you find a developer that will add your phone to their account.

Marnix
June 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Nicolai
July 6, 2009 at 3:05 AM

Well any hack to make it look like I'm a dev to iTunes...

and gosh u didn't gave to be like yelly

Nicolai
July 6, 2009 at 3:07 AM

And quickpwn what would the cost be to add my iPhone to your account