Home » » iPhone 3.0 Update

iPhone 3.0 Update

Written By Hans Berger on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 | 6:26 AM

iphoneos3softwareupdate

I've been getting a lot of comments and e-mails from people asking about the iPhone 3.0 release time and how to update to iPhone 3.0 and thought it would be useful to make a short FAQ post to answer everyone's questions.

1. When will the iPhone 3.0 firmware update be released?

The iPhone 3.0 software update will be released tomorrow, June 17th, 2009.

2. How do I update to iPhone  3.0?

Just plug in your iPhone or iPod Touch, open the iTunes application and then click "Check for Update". iTunes will check for the latest iPhone 3.0 update and let you download the appropriate firmware for your device.

3. Do I need to pay for iPhone 3.0?

iPhone 3.0 firmware will be completely free for all iPhone owners. iPod Touch owners will have to pay an extra $9.95 fee to download the iPhone 3.0 Update.

4. Will I be able to jailbreak iPhone 3.0? When will the jailbreak be released?

Yes,  thanks to the iPhone Dev Team you will be able to jailbreak iPhone 3.0 firmware on all iPhones and iPod Touches except for iPhone 3G S. You will not be able to jailbreak or unlock the new iPhone 3G S yet. The iPhone Dev Team plans to release the jailbreak after the iPhone 3.0 update is released. Just keep checking back here if you want to download the jailbreak, I'll make a post with the download links once it's out.

5. Will I be able to unlock iPhone 3.0?

Yes, you will be able to unlock iPhone 3.0 using the Dev Team's yellowsn0w software. yellowsn0w works with the latest baseband and it's safe to update.  @MuscleNerd will be doing a live demo of this on his twitter feed today, feel free to watch it!

If you have any other questions relating to iPhone OS 3.0, please post it in the iPhone OS 3.0 forums.

June 16, 2009 at 6:33 AM

Omg cant wait!

June 16, 2009 at 6:41 AM

And what about unlock for 1st gen iPhone?

Dennis
June 16, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Do you know the publishing time? I hope at 0 am :-)

June 16, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Thanks for the updated info.., going to try and make myself available for the live feed this evening. i will probably wait until tomorrow evening to perform the update to 3.0 as well as the JB. Not overly concerned with unlocking at this point but may do it just in case.
Thanks to all of you involved in making this possible for all of us. the Dev-Team and all involved are awesome. I would love to find ways to contribute and help develop apps and software but still a newbie to all this iPhone stuff and learning.

Nemi
June 16, 2009 at 7:22 AM

Mee toooo Yeeeah jailbreeeak :) thanks fot this !

PoiseOne
June 16, 2009 at 7:31 AM

3.0 is gonna be dope

Biagio
June 16, 2009 at 7:34 AM

OMG U R SO GREAT!!! THANKS REALLY REALLY MUCH FOR YOUR EFFORT. GOD BLESS YOU!

gerardo
June 16, 2009 at 7:36 AM

I am with tmobile. I will be able to use my iPhone 3.0with tmobile

Jericho
June 16, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I have an iPod Touch (2nd gen, if that's of any importance) and it's already jailbroken using redsn0w. Can I update and will I have to re-jailbreak? I'm slightly confused.....help?

June 16, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Damn as soon as 3.0os comes out we could jailbreak iphone 3g too, wow how fast was that that was easy

June 16, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Fantastic thank you everyone who will be releasing the jailbreak cannot wait for the new update :D

Ginger
June 16, 2009 at 9:26 AM

When will the iPhone os 3.0 jailbreak will be avilable. Thanks and send me a massage

Maverick214
June 16, 2009 at 11:22 AM

The iPhone 3.0 firmware is already out YouTube it under iPhone 3.0 gm and they have download links on the more info side I'm on 3.0 full not beta

June 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Im staying up till I can get it.

Rob
June 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I am currently jailbroken on my iphone 3g version 2.2.1. My question to any1 tgat may kniw is, will i have to do a complete restore before i can update to os 3.0 and itubes 8.2? I neefmd to know if its safe to do so and i wont get bricked or what ever man. Cheers

Rob
June 16, 2009 at 11:56 AM

lol sorry about some of my spelling just now. Was trying to type fast and wasn't really paying attention -.-'

June 16, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Its after 12am in Japan... does that count as tomorrow? :( I want it now

June 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Yes, you will have to do a complete restore so back up your phone. and its safe to jailbreak it i believe but not to unlock for 3g.. could be wrong on the unlocking part. but if you're using itunes below 8.2 and are going to update then you should probably sync your phone first. then update your itunes. then back up your phone through itunes 8.2

Max
June 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM

U guys a sweet ?can wat lol

Rob
June 16, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Nice 1, cheers mate.

Danny Dan Dan
June 16, 2009 at 5:48 PM

when will the 1g 3.0 jailbreak come out
W/b

Thanks alot!!

nastynasty
June 16, 2009 at 11:32 PM

hi fellas, I know everyone will be asking the same, but, when will the latest QuickPWN be out??
iPhones are useless unless we can jailbreak...

Nemi
June 17, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Publish QuickPWN now please :)

June 17, 2009 at 3:40 AM

Anyone know why itunes says my iphone is up to date when the 3.0 was released today :S

Nemi
June 17, 2009 at 4:11 AM

Steve Jobs now sleeping at the moment ! Quiet please and wait ! ;)

Nemi
June 17, 2009 at 6:22 AM

hey please release quickpwn 3.0 GM final now i reallly wanna this pleeease

June 17, 2009 at 8:02 AM

heard that quickpwn 2.5.2-1 can jailbreak 3.0 final version? is it right or do we need to wait your 3.0 release??? can't wait... already downloaded 3.0 firmware... btw, many many thanks for your work! couldn't live with a non-jailbreaked iphone!!! best!

darkdon
June 17, 2009 at 8:04 AM

can wait to upgrade and jailbreak my iPhone..dev team rocks:)

June 17, 2009 at 8:09 AM

When will the jailbreak be avalible cause my iPhone is pretty much useless with out it jail broke I have tmobile

June 17, 2009 at 8:12 AM

then after back up to 8.2 update my JB iphone to 3.0, then wait for qwk pwn tools to JB 3.0?

June 17, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Thanks so much for all the work! I've been Jailbroken since the 1st gen! Can't wait for the 3.0 jailbreak release!

June 17, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I have iPhone 1g I need to know when the jailbreak fireware will be avalible please email me when found out

June 17, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Its Thursday the 18th over here in AUS! Where the hell is QuickPWN!

Haha.. Jks!

All you guys need to settle the eff down and hang about! Theses blokes are doin this for free ay! It'll be out when its out!

June 17, 2009 at 8:50 AM

itunes 8.2 now showes the 3.0 update.. and it didn't ask me to pay for it.. just started downloading....

June 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM

5:50pm EST, activation servers seems to be back up. Installing update 3.0 now

June 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Type your message here ...can i jailbreak the 3.0 wth the beta jalbreak or is there a new dowload going to be available

June 17, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Already UPGRADE from jailbroken iPhone OS 2.1 to iPhone OS 3.0 and it´s GREAT! and just cannot wait to JAILBREAK it so i can have all my apps back! When would the QuickPWN be ready for it?

June 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM

cannot upgrade to OS 3.0 without Itunes 8.2 Ergo cannot jailbreak OS 3.0 yet with quickpwn

June 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM

when will we be able to update to the jailbroken version of 3.0?
what iTunes version do we need?
can we use the current quickpwn app? or will there be a new one coming out?

please explain the process and when it will all be available.

thanks!

you guys are great!!!

June 17, 2009 at 9:23 AM

OMG!!! I have an erection...I'm so excited!!! Please give it up already!!! 3.0 jailbreak i can't wait!!!

hackedup
June 17, 2009 at 9:31 AM

I'm pretty new to updating so I was wondering if and when the 3.0 jailbreak is released, do I have to re-jailbreak it the same way as the very first time? Also, will I lose all my installed apps and settings when I "update/jailbreak"?

June 17, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Please release the latest quickpwn
i've been reloading the same page for hours.

please please release it.
thx in advance.

=]

June 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Good night from Spain's master or guru iphone 0:49 local time here waiting for your software without sleep to know if my iphone is going to take a lot out.

Thank you.

June 17, 2009 at 9:56 AM

i agree you need to release it soon my iphone is worthless wthout it being jailbroken it is just so boring

ThatGuy
June 17, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I think people should be patient when waiting for the release of the new quickpwn. The team is probably making sure that it doesn't brick your $400 phone. Patience people and stop asking when it's going to come out. Just keep checking back here

Sam
June 17, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I DON'T recomend anyone to upgrade it's really slow and they didn't even make me pay. I have an iPod Touch 2G and it's slower then the beta it's horibble!!!!!!

June 17, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Type your message here ...
I ask only a little information because it hangs and the software to jailbreak my iphone if for technical reasons, ok no problem if we hope for another reason as well but do not give us any information or moderators or administrators of this website please deliver

June 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM

WTF is taking so long for the jailbreak for 3.0 os I hear it's amazing but I just can't wait I want it now

June 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM

(WTF is taking so long for the jailbreak for 3.0 os I hear it’s amazing but I just can’t wait I want it now).

Man the first thing I say is that without some geniuses were not for them I would not but said that it would benefit in a few hours after the update so, does it? I think I am wrong or not. I went to the 19:00 local time in Spain is now 2:50 at night, I'm hoping that escape without sleep and I have all the patience of the world as if you get the leak within a week rather because the I'm going to get without any charge from them and I will Join his work without any effort but please only ask for information you have to think how many people awake waiting for news that will not only ask because I want to drain fast when quite the opposite will leave.

June 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I just want to say thank you to the Dev Team and all the hard work they do to make sure we can jailbreak. I really appreciate everything you guy/gals do and I appreciate the fact that you do not stick it to us with high fees for the services you provide.

And While I am anxious, I for one, will patiently wait for the new release.

Thank you Dev Team!.

June 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM

totally agree with Rev and Chip. Just wait ladies and gents, your phone will be jailbroken soon enough, but for now just scroll through your stock ring tones, an look at your black back ground and then when it is released make sure you thank the dev team because at the end of the day, they didnt have to do it, and they sure didnt have to do it for free. Your phones will be personalized the way you like them in good time patience is a virtue

Nemi
June 17, 2009 at 10:45 PM

At friday i will upgraade and still waiting for JB :) hurry hurry :)

Rob
June 18, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Updated to os 3.0 earlier today and have to say, although its a nice addition, i am a little underwhelmd so far -.-' definetly over rated. The extra speed and generaly slicker slightely more responsive nature of os 3.0 are nice touches mind. When i can jailbreak this sucker is going to change the game though, cant wait to jailbreak again man :D

hackedup
June 19, 2009 at 6:06 AM

I still have 2.2.1 jailbreak installed and was wondering if I updated to the regular 3.0 os that I would still be able to jailbreak as soon as it's released and have no complications. I ask because I remember for the 2.2.1 jailbreak we were told not to update until the jailbreak was released.

hackedup
June 19, 2009 at 6:21 AM

I also wanted to give credit to everyone involved in making this jailbreak possible. Much love from Virginia.

BlackcrystalLtd
June 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I update my Iphone 3G and have already Jailbreak the new software... And everything is working great no problems at all
thanks everyone :-)

Erik
July 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I recently downloaded the 3.0 upgrade. When my phone goes into standby black screen and then I bring it back out of standby, the wi-fi connection doed not connect back to the router automatically. I have to manually reconnect the router. Does anyone else have that issue?