Home » » iPhone 2.2.1 and iPod Touch 2.2.1 Firmware released!

iPhone 2.2.1 and iPod Touch 2.2.1 Firmware released!

Written By Hans Berger on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 | 5:37 AM

Today Apple has released updates for iPhone firmware 2.2.1, iPhone 3G firmware 2.2.1, iPod Touch firmware 2.2.1, and iPod touch 2G firmware 2.2.1.  Here are details of what this new firmware includes:
iPhone 2.2.1 Software Update

This update contains bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
- Improved general stability of Safari
- Fixed issue where some images saved from Mail do not display correctly in the Camera Roll

Products compatible with this software update:
- iPhone
- iPhone 3G

It is strongly recommended NOT to upgrade to this new firmware yet because the iPhone Dev Team is investigating the firmware and checking whether or not the firmware can be jailbroken.  As of right now it is not possible to jailbreak iPhone 2.2.1, jailbreak iPhone 3G 2.2.1, or jailbreak iPod Touch 2.2.1 .  If you want to try this firmware on a non-jailbroken iPhone here are the download links:

Firmware 2.2.1 Download Links

Download iPhone 2.2.1 firmware

Download iPhone 3G 2.2.1 firmware

Download iPod Touch 2G 2.2.1 firmware

Darkblado
January 27, 2009 at 6:16 AM

the download "Download ipod Touch 2.2.1 firmware" is the ipod touch 2G no ipod touch 1G.

Para los que entienden español... el firmware tanto del 2G como del 1G según los link son los mismos es un error el firmware del ipod touch 1G pesa 254.089 y el de 2G pesa 270 aproximadamente CORRIGAN EL ERROR

nos vemos!!!!! DEV TEAM THE BEST!!!!!

techmom
January 27, 2009 at 6:27 AM

Oh Jeez-
I finally started the 2.2 upgrade today - and didn't realize about 2.2.1
So now I have a restored iPhone w/ 2.2.1 and am syncing basic music and apps.
Guess I will wait to re-jailbreak and restore from the backup...

simon
January 27, 2009 at 6:35 AM

so what does it do for the iPod Touch??

QuickPWN
January 27, 2009 at 7:23 AM

I just fixed the link. Thanks!

Jeff
January 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM

I had a question if there was a way to get the apps to install in iphone through itunes without jail breaking iphone/itouch just like we buy the app and install it??
PLzzz take this into consideration cause most of us just need to install the app that we download from p2p/torrent sites or from friends.
Is there a way you think without jail breaking the iphone? And so on we can update firmware and everything without the hassle to restore. I think many of us will like that and almost every iphone-torrent user will use it. I would be happy to donate too.
It would be a major breakthrough for your softwares. And guess what someone will copy you and you will be on the top once more.

Nick
January 27, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Hey Jeff, you can try using pusher from www.ripdev.com Pusher will put a program on your computer that will put only installer on your ipod touch/iphone. Then just install open ssh from installer and try sshing the 2.2 mobileinstallation patch into System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileInstallation.framework
replace the mobileinstallation file. I'm not sure if pusher will work with 2.2.1 but its worth a shot. You won't have to jailbreak either.

Jeff (required)
January 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I forgot to mention plzz update or email if you you guys are interested in the idea cause I will wait for that. it would be the best thing probably that would happen to iphone since every user would use it.

anares
January 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Hi Nick,

I have already checked - pusher doesn't wok wirh 2.2.1. First it checks the version of the firmware and then it displays a message that the firmware version cannot be verified.

Michael
January 27, 2009 at 10:13 AM

i wonder if they fixed that bug with my movie that causes my i pod to crash and reset its self im using a 2nd generation. it happens at a certain time always.emal me if you want the pice of it that crashes the ipod

Jr Martinez
January 27, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Yes i have a question i accedentaly upgraded my iphone to this firmware and i dont know how to jailbreak it anymore and i dont know how to downgrade it

Joey
January 27, 2009 at 11:07 AM

updated my iphone, obviously not volentarely. i'm stuck now and i don't know how to downgrade, please help

danny cervantes
January 27, 2009 at 11:21 AM

did you jailbreak it yet

bobby
January 27, 2009 at 11:32 AM

DAMN IT! I finally today decieded to go for a jailbreak and was absolutly loving it. Then i connected to itunes and it updated to 2.2.1 and now i lost all the jailbreak stuff and cant get it back. how stupid... no way to jailbreak it again im sure right?

Jr MArtinez
January 27, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Yes ive tryed nut it doesnt let me do it

Jonathan
January 27, 2009 at 11:56 AM

How long will take to get the new QuickPwn 2.2.1 firmware, I didn't realize that apple made a new update and I did it like some of the people here too, and now its not way to jailbreak it again. hope we get the new QuickPwn soon.

Dave
January 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM

SWEET. new quickpwn for windows worked like a champ. up and running in less than 15 min. Thanks guys, you rockl.

Might want to put up a link for the bootlaoders that slowed me down for about 5min.

I found them here.

bobby (required)
January 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM

just downgrade back to 2.2 i just did it and it worked, shift+restore and restore firmware 2.2 just press okay when the error message comes up when it goes back to recovery mode open quickpwn 2.2 and follow instructions

john
January 27, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Idk why but the jailbreaker doesnt let me do it

i have the 2.2.1

QuickPWN
January 27, 2009 at 12:40 PM

The jailbreak for firmware 2.2.1 hasn't been released yet so it won't work.

Pedro
January 27, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Hi im new here to QuickPwn site and I just wanna know how can I like ask questions in the forums???

optimus prime
January 27, 2009 at 12:50 PM

i goofed.
didnt do my research.
upgraded.
iphone2G.... tmobile.
HALP

QuickPWN
January 27, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Pedro just go to http://www.quickpwn.com/forums/register.php to sign up.

QuickPWN
January 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM

You can either downgrade back to firmware 2.2 or wait for the iPhone Dev Team to release the jailbreak.

Winston
January 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM

How long does it usually take for the iphone Dev team to release the jailbreak for 2,2.1 cause i didnt know about this till my friend told me like 10 min ago but i already had upgraded T_T

optimus prime (required)
January 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM

hopefully it happens soon...
Ive tried downgrading to 2.2 to no avail.

Naz Colakoglu
January 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I accidently upgrade 2.2.1 how can I co back to 2.2.0?
How can I downgrade because I cannot use my phone at all right now
thanks

Winston (required)
January 27, 2009 at 1:47 PM

how do u downgrade? like shit+restore what that mean?

Felix
January 27, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Make a jailk break for the Ipod touch second gen.!!!The Ipod is getting boring and seeing peers with jailbroken first gen and iphones is bothering me!

lori s.
January 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

i accidently upgrade 2.2.1 how can I co back to 2.2.0?
How can I downgrade because I cannot use my phone at all right now
thanks

Joey
January 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM

he means by holding Shift + clicking on restore in itunes and then it'll give you the option to select the restore point to 2.2 but i recommend moving the 2.2 file to somewhere easier to find like your desktop lol, it took me a while to figure but atempting a restore now and hopefully back to normal..... fingers crossed and wish me luck if not please quickpwn get a new version ;)

Petra
January 27, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I have download the firmware from this site. But i stil can not jailbreak?

Pleas help me

QuickPWN
January 28, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Post your problems in the forum at http://www.quickpwn.com/forums.

January 28, 2009 at 12:06 AM

I have the same problem , as above ( Naz Colakoglu ) ,
Please help me , how I can go back now
phone is not working .

Tyson
January 28, 2009 at 2:28 AM

How soon or is there an official date that a jailbreak for the 2g iPod touch will be released???

QuickPWN
January 28, 2009 at 2:38 AM

There is no official update. Keep checking back here at http://www.quickpwn.com or http://blog.iphone-dev.org.

david calvert
January 28, 2009 at 3:41 AM

are the links to the forums broken? I cannot get the register page or the forums to work.

Suddle D
January 28, 2009 at 3:50 AM

I have problems trying to access the fourms:
"The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression."
This is on firefox...

QuickPWN
January 28, 2009 at 4:20 AM

The forums are fixed now please try again. Thanks.

QuickPWN
January 28, 2009 at 4:20 AM

The forums are fixed now please try again.

david calvert
January 28, 2009 at 4:45 AM

link to forums still doesn't work.

Rich
January 28, 2009 at 6:22 AM

how do you downgrade?!?!

Billytex
January 28, 2009 at 6:48 AM

OOPS...
I goofed too. Didn't research before upgrading....
Any word on how much longer? LOL
Keep up the excellent work.

Joey
January 28, 2009 at 7:04 AM

well go into itunes hold shift + press restore, select 2.2 restore point and it should restore back to that point.

although after accidentally upgrading, evertime i have tried to restore to a previous point it's given me an error. so i'm forced to restore to 2.2.1 the newest version.... so unfortunately i have to wait for the amazing dev team to upgrade their quickpwn to save me ;)

Joey
January 28, 2009 at 7:08 AM

if you're downgrading hold shift + press restore. select your restore point obviously 2.2 but everytime i try i seem to get 70% of the way to restoring to 2.2 and then i get an error lol, should work for everyone else, i reckon apple should let every network use the iphone lol if it's that popular and make a mint of profits

Ricardo Arguello
January 28, 2009 at 1:39 PM

WOooooo Im waiting for that 2.2.1 Jailbrake Woooooo
QuickPWN FTW!!!!

hodgey
January 29, 2009 at 2:51 AM

i really need that update, been looking everywhere and everyday to see if the dev team have come up with a solution. youre amazing dev team, you can do it. i wanna downgrade to, same error over and over dammit.

uslsy
January 29, 2009 at 3:12 AM

Downgrading gives error help us pls.

joey
January 29, 2009 at 3:27 AM

ye i know what you mean mate i got that same error as well, must be just that i hadn't backed up 2.2 properly but i guess dev team should be working on it now so i'm looking 4ward 2 it

Rohan
January 29, 2009 at 7:19 AM

y dont the downloading link work yet

January 29, 2009 at 2:44 PM

were is the download for the bootloaders?

Mike
January 30, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Why does link to downloads still not work??????

Tommy
January 30, 2009 at 5:12 AM

Your Message there is QuickPWN 2.2.5 for FW 2.2.1 ,, just go to http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1842

good luck

ruzmerck
February 1, 2009 at 1:23 PM

where can I download bootlopader 3.9 and 4.9 thank

ruzmerck (required)
February 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM

where can I download bppt loader 3.9 and 4.9

tadeo
February 3, 2009 at 6:14 AM

tengo la version del ipod touch 2.2, me sirve el jailbreaker 2.2.1 para mi ipod ?

lupe
February 4, 2009 at 5:01 AM

Hi I am totally new to this jailbreak and unlocking phone can someone guide me throug hstep by step?

pit
February 6, 2009 at 12:58 PM

si puedes hacer la actualizacion pero necesitas actualizar el ipod desde itunes con el firmware k puedes bajar desde esta pagina, y despues usar el quickpwn 2.2.5 para hacerle el jailbreak.

ZROSSL
February 8, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Is there a way to jailbreak the 2nd generation ipod touch yet? If so, what is the easiest way to do it?

Carlos
February 8, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Soo Im going to buy an Ipodtouch Unlock/jailbroken
Should I just buy a regular one and use this program to jailbreak it?

hater
February 11, 2009 at 2:50 AM

how can i get my ipod touch 2g jailed out it's on 2.2.1

heeelp u nerds 1st time i ask 4 some thing and u guys fail losers lol im 1 of them now yh hahahahahhaha

Your Name (required)
February 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM

hello how to i get started to jailbreak my ipodtouch. I already download the quickpwn and net firmware. what do i do after that. the quick pawn is saying that it only work on version 2. where do i get this version to?

Needs your help
February 14, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I have problem, I download all stuff, but after all i cannot upgrade my iphone 3g to firmware 2.2.1. what i need to do?

jham
February 15, 2009 at 1:14 AM

im having a problem on my itouch, my customize won't open...do u have any answer for that? thanks

Itouch 2g jailcraver
February 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Please tell me when we can jailbreak itouch 2g. it's drivin me crazy!

QuickPWN
February 19, 2009 at 10:17 AM

It doesn't seem like there will be a permanent jailbreak for iPod Touch 2G but you can download a temporary one from http://redsn0w.com.

May 6, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I've been running 2.2.1 for a while, it's a great firmware 2 b running

May 6, 2009 at 12:29 PM

jham, the only way to fix that is to restore it. Besides everything is probably backed up

May 6, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Needs your help, u need to restore it.

Mugabe
May 30, 2009 at 11:58 PM

i have tried to download the ipod touch 1g 2.2.1 firmware about 100 times in about five different places but whenever i click a link to the download the page wont load. i left it for two hours yesterday and and it still didnt load. plz fix the link.

December 10, 2013 at 4:04 AM

@lupe
Do you want to unlock your iphone? Yes means you can visit this site Wickedunlock.comhere you can get the remote unlocking service and unlock your iphone easily. Once you unlocked through this method it doesn't require jailbreak process.