Home » » Downgrade firmware 2.2.1 to 2.2

Downgrade firmware 2.2.1 to 2.2

Written By Hans Berger on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 | 12:50 PM

Many users have accidentally upgraded to firmware 2.2.1 on their devices and they have lost their jailbreak.  People repeatedly keep asking how to downgrade firmware 2.2.1 to 2.2 in the QuickPWN Forums.

vicon-sd posted a great guide on how to downgrade in the forums at this topic:

Upgraded to 2.2.1?  Here's how to downgrade!
Here is how you can downgrade from firmware 2.2.1 to 2.2:

* Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes. If things had gone horribly wrong while hacking your iPhone and iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.

o You can follow these steps to put your iPhone in DFU mode (this is required only if iTunes does not recognize your iPhone):
+ Connect your iPhone to your computer.
+ Turn iPhone off.
+ Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
+ Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
+ A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.

* In the Summary Tab, Hold down Option and press the "Restore" button. If you are using Windows hold down Shift and press the Restore button. (This is an important step as just pressing the "Restore" button will result in restoring your iPhone with the latest firmware which is firmware 2.2 currently, by holding down Option in case of Mac or Shift in case of Windows, allows you choose the firmware file that you want to downgrade to.)

After restoring you can download the jailbreaking tool and jailbreak firmware 2.2.

January 28, 2009 at 1:03 PM

where can i get the 2.2 firmware from i cant do this at all. ive tried and cannot find the 2.2 fireware file anywhere on my computer

January 28, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Lol how the hell does someone "accidently" upgrade a firmware? If someone has the knowledge to jailbreak in the first place they shouldn't be that dumb.

Oh well, here's to hoping 2.2.1 gets broken soon

January 28, 2009 at 1:08 PM

marshall, try downloading it from here:

January 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM

this is so frustrating ive downloaded everything i cant get by the pswi thing on the quick pwn installer

January 28, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I am also having a problem. After downloading the 2.2 firmware (which QuickPWN posted) and then hitting restore while holding the option key, I am able to go to the 2.2 firmware folder but there is nothing in the folder that it is allowing me to choose or open. Thank you!

lucid (required)
January 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Where do I get the 2.2 file? When I download it, it's just a file, that I can't use. Any suggestions?

January 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM

this doesnt work as says. it gets to the end then give you a 1013 error message.

January 28, 2009 at 2:48 PM

It seems I'm having the same trouble with Kevin. I tried many times to restore 2.2 but it always failed with 1013 error message eventually. However, it is no problem when installing 2.2.1.....

January 28, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I can't select the downloaded 2.2 because it does not appear as a .IPSW file

Please help

January 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I too have a 1013 error

Henrik the Sweed
January 28, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Is it possible to downgrade iphone 3G... not yet jaibbroken.

January 28, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I don't think this works....

January 28, 2009 at 4:16 PM

this doesnt work as says. it gets to the end then give you a 1013 error message!!!!!
plz help me out

January 28, 2009 at 5:04 PM

will this also downgrade the baseband or just like before?

January 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM

i get the 1013 error too. losed all my data and had to resync in the end.

January 28, 2009 at 6:01 PM

You Cant Downgrade once you upgrade to 2.2.1 ive tired to downgrade it came up an error

January 28, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I seem to be having a similar problem as other people: Firmware error string

Is there an IPSW package for 1st Gen iPod Touch anywhere?

January 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM

i need big help...
my iphone gets all the way to the end then an error comes up saying that it couldnt restore my iphone then a number that is 1030???? help me..

January 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Like Kevin said, this doesn't work.. after trying 10 times downgrading from 2.2.1 to 2.2, iTunes failed during the process and gave me "1013 error".

January 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Your Message
To Phinn: hope you'll never have to replace your HDD in emergency, so you'll not forget to unmark the auto update in iTunes. You so sure of yourself, it would be too sad to see you in the "dumb" club. I'd welcome you anyway.
Downgrade method doesn't work, you can't get rid of the 1013 error at 75%, and you can't simply "ignore" it as the tuto says, it will start over again and again.

January 28, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Your Message
Sounds like downgrade works on 2G. I can say it doesn't on 3G.

January 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Tried the above said method over n over again,and it does not work at all.Any other suggestion?Please advice,thanks!

January 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM

I couldn't downgrade, always giving me error

January 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I have downgraded the iphone 3g to 2.2 i got the 1013 error message, ignored it, i have done the jailbrake, installed yellowsn0w, but the iphone doesn't recognize the gsm card.
please help :) !!!

January 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM

This doesn't work for me. I also tried it a couple of other ways that are mentioned in the forum... none work. Ah well... patience is a virtue!

January 28, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Can anyone pls help? i have also got an error 1013 after the whole process.

Blue Ice
January 28, 2009 at 9:21 PM

i Agree with " Kevin " , after reaching at the mid of downgrading i got an 1013 erorr !!!!. so what to do ??

January 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM

follow your instruction , i still fail , when i try to downgrade !! hic , i must wait

January 28, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Yeah, I tried this yesterday and it gave me an error. But not before erasing my entire phone and leaving me firmwareless :D
Have fun.

January 28, 2009 at 10:09 PM

error 1013 means that baseband cannot downgraded. there is some wat do downgrade it?

January 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM

@Quickpwn their is mistake "just pressing the “Restore” button will result in restoring your iPhone with the latest firmware which is firmware 2.2 currently"

It should be "2.2.1" i have cross checked in forum and it says 2.2.1 please correct in post.

January 28, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Same problem erreur 1013 anybody have a solution?

January 29, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I have the 1013 error message too.. how can we do ?

Ali Asad
January 29, 2009 at 12:18 AM

its not working 1013 error message

January 29, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Blogsdna you may have misread this post because it says shift + restore for Windows users and option + user for Mac users. :)

January 29, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Dude if you guys are dumb enough to update with itunes before checking quickpwn then u dont deserve a jail broken iphone

January 29, 2009 at 12:47 AM

it looks like everyone who upgraded to 2.2.1 is stuck untill they come out with a new jailbreak..

January 29, 2009 at 1:48 AM

We are really sorry for not being so intelligent as you are, but we still humbly believe that we the lesser also may deserve a jail broken iphone.

January 29, 2009 at 2:24 AM

I too had the 1013 issue........I found this post and it worked perfectly for me when I followed the directions exactly.

January 29, 2009 at 2:24 AM

Hi! I tried the downgrade....no go. I don't know if the guys who wrote that ever tried to downgrade actually. It comes back telling me that the pings are not working. The baseband WAS upgraded in 2.2.1, thus it seems true, that us fools who upgraded, just are stuck waiting till the Dev team breaks 2.2.1. I hope that's soon, because there are wonderful Jailbroken software out there. Cudos at this place to SBsettings (or similar) which allow pulling up toggle buttons for BT and WiFi. Cute, useful and working well.

Now I just hope that the Dev Team cracks can once more proove to Apple that it's not worth bothering putting in stops. They are just temporary and annoy the "world".

Cheers to all.....Hans

Ali Asad
January 29, 2009 at 2:57 AM

my phone is unlocked because its factory unlocked but how can i install cydia and installer without jail breaking process and any body knw whn jail breaker will be released

January 29, 2009 at 3:29 AM

why is everybody talkin' about downgrading?
why doesn't quickpwn come up with an update for it so u can jailbreak it

January 29, 2009 at 3:33 AM

@John: You're soo right.
It's hard, but it's true. Who is dumb enough to do so, should stay with an jailed iPhone. It would be the best for all.

Cyrus Tajer
January 29, 2009 at 3:53 AM

i tried to downgrade but it didnt work. but i got error 20 so idk what to do. and the reason i upgraded is because i had to. i installed jailbreak but then my ipod froze and so i had to restore it. anyone know what to do?

Alberto Busto
January 29, 2009 at 4:37 AM

i tried to downgrade to 2.2 but it didn´t work as the system doesn´t allow the downgrading. At some time during firmware restoration using iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw, itunes shows a message that an error occurs and abort the operation. so i have to restore again 2.2.1.
We have to wait for a jailbreak from Dev Team.
cheers to everybody

January 29, 2009 at 7:19 AM

come on pple we all have the same problem! lets find a solution and stop posting the same Comment!

January 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM

I share your frustation people. I'm a noob myself. got my phone already unlocked from HK so had no idea when stupidly upgraded.

here's a summary so u dont re-post same comments:
1) error 1013 occurs due to unable to downgrade baseband (upgrading to 2.2.1 meant upgrading baseband, too late!)
2) dont think we can jailbreak in 2.2 when we cant even downgrade to 2.2
3) to ppl downloading ipsw file, make sure it's for 3G (or those with not 3G)
4) make sure you untick option to 'open file automatically after finished downloading' in safari (lucid's prob)
5) change the filename to .ipsw after u download (in case it's on .ipsw.zip)
6) i think people are right.. gotta wait for devteam. let's hope that they are successful.. QUICKLY!

January 31, 2009 at 7:01 PM

you can downgrade but once the modem firmware is 2.30.03 it cant be undone.. I hope the Dev team can help me us out here ASAP...

February 1, 2009 at 3:14 AM

using a MAC and im attempting to follow these steps to downgrade from 2.2.1 to 2.2 but everytime I attempt to downgrade my firmware I get an error code 2001 and end up in recovery mode having to start over and update to the latest version which is 2.2.1. has anyone had this problem. if so I need assistance please help.... thx

February 2, 2009 at 2:00 AM

My phone is factory unlocked, i just want to jailbreak it since i need the caller block app which only released in Cydia and Installer...and I do think updating to 2.2.1 would take advantage rather than downgrade to 2.2...at least it's faster in loading webpage...any methods other than wait?

February 2, 2009 at 4:56 AM

hello friend, please help!!!
i have just downgradet from 2.2.1 to 2.2 it works, but i have a modem firmware. 02.30.03 how can i change to 2.28 ??? thank in advance.

February 2, 2009 at 1:11 PM

instruction work!!! it worked on 2nd try after err 1013

after above instruction, i tried QuickPawn 2.2.1

works like charm!! thanks

February 2, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Pressing the Option + Restore on a MAC does not work for me. It just does not respond. I have iTunes version 8.0.2 (20) - perhaps this version of iTunes has some kind of block to prevent restoring prior to 2.2.1

What do you think?

February 3, 2009 at 2:11 AM

well i keep getting an error saying i need dfu firmware and i cant seem to find it anyware anyone know where it is ?

February 4, 2009 at 12:35 AM

i have an ipod touch 2nd gen. version 2.2.1(5H11a)
can i jailbreak it already??.. i need instructions pls.. thankyou..

February 4, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Hi Hans...it works so easy... i just downgrade my 2.2.1 iphone to 2.2... it was so easy.... do all steps 1 by 1 than its working 100 %.... Thanks to the guys who written us this manual...

February 4, 2009 at 9:49 AM

2.2.1 is just a mess of my time! I really got stack, I was force to downgrade, I didn't succeeded for that new numb firmware, I will just wait for 2.3

February 4, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I used this to sucessfullY downgrade my iphone 2g (8gb) down to 2.2 and jail broke it!

February 5, 2009 at 2:32 AM

Those of you that are having trouble with downgrading your version 2.2.1 should just wait until the dev team comes out with the new hack for unlocking it. This new version 2.2.1 changes your baseband version which is probably causing all these problems. Even if you decide to jail break your phone by downgrading from 2.2.1, there is no unlock for it yet so you will still need to be using an att sim card to use your phone. I currently have one 2.2 unlocked iphone and one that was accidently upgraded to 2.2.1 by a friend so now it is currently a brick since I am using Tmobile. I feel all ya concerns but just relax until the team fixes this problem lol.

February 5, 2009 at 9:36 AM

dang it. do you have any idea when it will come out ? i really need to jailbreak it. i accidently upgraded it and my baseband upgraded too ):

February 8, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I've just got a new Iphone 3G / 2.2.1 (5H11).

I'd like to get Cydia on this phone.

What should I do? What is the procedure? Can it do any harm to the phone or disturb possible future official updates of the phone?

Thanks for some info.

February 9, 2009 at 11:23 PM

i'll be very thankful to the team if they can provide me the steps to downgrade from 2.2.1 to 2.1

February 10, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Jailbreaking is not a problem; there's already a quickpwn for fw 2.2.1. The problem is baseband 02.30.03 which cannot be unlocked. You'll have to revert back to using a TurboSim in order to use the phone from another carrier other then ATT.

February 11, 2009 at 6:44 AM

i also upgraded by mistake, i am using my o2 sim still so if i downgrade my iphone bk to 2.2 from 2.2.1 will i still be able to jailbreakit with no problems or will mine also become a brick???

February 12, 2009 at 12:07 PM

doug so if a have baseband 2.30.03 i cant not change it

February 12, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I fuckin hate apple....they are greedy corporate fucks, and because they were losing so much money they made the 2.2.1 firmware update??? I hope steve jobs chokes on my cock, I will never buy another apple product again, besides being overpriced.we wouldn't have to hack them if they just got the clue and gave us a fuckin break already. now I got a brick for a phone...fuck you apple...fuck you steve jobs, i hope you all go bankrupt and get bit in the ass by your own karma...thanks for nothing. you fuckin dickheads.

February 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I have a first generation Ipone, upgraded to 2.2.1 ran quickpwn 2.2.5 and now it is not starting, the apple start screen is coming and going and vibrates 2 times, after that it starts all over again, help me out please!

February 13, 2009 at 3:42 AM

Please can anyone help me!!!. i also upgraded to 2.2.1 (5H11) to my iPhone 3G (16gig). when i see this "downgrade to firmware 2.2" , i feel so happy and firstly i downloaded Firmware 2.2 for iPhone 3G from this website. Then i followed the procedure of downgrade and i restore my phone. Unfortunately, there was an error during downgrading.[" The iphone "iPhone"could not be restored. An Unknown error occured.(1013) "] like that. Actually, this is my first time of using iPhone. Please help me....!!!! THANKS SO MUCH...

February 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM

i tried to doengrade 2.2.1 to 2.2 but at the end im getting a error msg like an unknown error occurred....wt can i do?? with 2.2.1 i cant unlock my mobile ...can any 1 please tell me the solution or the step to unlock 2.2.1.........

February 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM

i have upgrade the firmware to 2.2.1 and i want to downgrade it to 2.2 again, i have tried your steps (press shift + restore) but the software update files (2.2) can not be found. is there something wrong with my computer or i did it wrong? Thanks!

February 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM

u guys are dumb read the instructions and guess wat...... wow it works so easy!!! thanks for the downgrade tip

February 15, 2009 at 11:39 PM

" The iphone "iPhone"could not be restored. An Unknown error occured.(1013) ".......
pls anyone! tell me about it that i comment above. pls advise me. i really want to know. help meeeeeeeeee!

February 16, 2009 at 9:32 AM

please dont worry it has been restored already ... This error is quite common.. You can go ahead and perform a jailbreak using quickpwn ... Although you cannot unlock it using yellowsn0w because the baseband would have got upgraded and until now DEV team hasn't come up with a solution to unlock an iphone using yellowsn0w for an iphone with 2.30.0 BASEBAND ....

February 16, 2009 at 10:25 AM

do you install the itunes 8.0.1 (preferibly) ... but before the iphone be in DFU...

(Excuse for my language)

February 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Does this work for the 2g touch?

February 16, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Did the shift and restore and the window comes up and says...... "no item match your search"

Plse help!!

February 17, 2009 at 2:52 AM

i tried to downgrade always error 1601 or 1604 & my iphone dont start always display the itune with the usb cable image, & my windows cant recognise the iphone on itune 8 but in dfu mode only.
what to do ????
Please reply msn@TonyNassar.com

Tony Nassar
February 17, 2009 at 2:58 AM

well, i upgrade my firmware to 2.2.1 from 2.2 then i tried to quickpwn but it freez & the iphone stop responding now when ever i turn my iphone on it give me the itune with usb cable image.
& my windows + itune 8.0 cant reconise the iphone but in retore or dfu mode, any way i tried to install the firmware again but always i got:
error 1601 or 1604 or 2002
& some times the waiting for iphone stay about 3 hours & nothing change.
what should i do please

February 17, 2009 at 4:25 AM

i tried this way and the fireware downgraded to 2.2 but it only jailbreak my iphone3g but cannot unlock. Does anyone know how to unlock it if i already upgrade the phone to 2.2.1 by itunes. thanks so much!!

February 17, 2009 at 5:45 AM

I managed to get my Iphone 3g back to version 2.2 but i cannot get any signal on the phone. If anyone knows how to get signal plz help, if no il just restore it back to factory settings.

February 17, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Your Message” The iphone “iPhone”could not be restored. An Unknown error occured.(1013) “…….

February 17, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Hello Tony:

Im from Argentina, the downgrade is imposible, if you keep tring you always get a lot of "errors". You must put your Iphon in DFU mode, and from itunes restore it to 2.2.1.
Apple do this because de baseband 2.28 is already hacked, but with this new baseband the "ilegal" iphones are useless now.

I hope that this help you, and sory of my poor inglish.

February 17, 2009 at 2:37 PM

can not be restored too, the same error named 1013 appears everytime.
Pls reply lq0501@msn.com when you find great idea!
thx a lot for your works.

February 18, 2009 at 4:39 AM

You cannot unlock once you upgrade to firmware 2.2.1 because your baseband got upgraded permanently and that can't be reversed. You're stuck with a locked iPhone unfortunately.

February 18, 2009 at 4:44 AM

February 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM

exactly the same for me error 1013 every time i try and downgrade, the only thing i can do is restore back to 2.2.1

February 18, 2009 at 12:01 PM

i have the same problem any help is is appreciated

February 19, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Hi, I was wondering if this method works if the iphone 3G has the 2.28 baseline

February 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I Have The Same error of all the other person (1013) what i cando to downgrade it to 2.2

February 20, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Same error code :1013 here too, pleaseeeeeeeeeee HELP..PLEASE

February 20, 2009 at 11:55 AM

how do u put the itouch in dfu mode

February 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Dont do it in DFU mode if you do it wont work

March 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Just hold "HOME" and "Power" buttons for 15 seconds.

Thats all

March 14, 2009 at 3:03 AM

Yes it works.

March 14, 2009 at 3:51 AM

Yeah, my iPhone 3G got upgraded to 2.2.1 accidentally.
How long do you guys think it will take for 2.2.1 to be able to be unlocked??

March 14, 2009 at 4:14 AM

Does It work with 2.30.3 base?

March 14, 2009 at 4:16 AM

There is no estimate. When Apple releases an update to the baseband (which won't be anytime soon) the iPhone Dev-Team may be able to find an exploit.

March 14, 2009 at 4:47 AM

No it doesn't.

May 6, 2009 at 11:57 PM

that means if you have ver 2.2.1 (5H11) and modem firmware 2.30.03 the above will not work :(

May 10, 2009 at 4:35 AM

i have unlocked my iphone 3g but not jailbroken it and i am having some trouble with it is there any way u guys can give step by step instructions and downloads?

May 10, 2009 at 7:14 AM

You can jailbreak it by downloading QuickPWN 2.2.5 for Windows/Mac from http://www.quickpwn.com/downloads. Download it and the rest is automated and there are many YouTube videos on the web that show how to use it.

May 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM

hi, i am trying to downgrade as i have made the mistake of installing the update to a jailbroken phone
, i have windows vista, i have followed your instructions but when it comes to clicking restore while holding down shift, i have done that and then a box pops up and i am not sure what to do from there.
can you help please.

June 7, 2009 at 12:31 AM

How do I downgrade my store bought 2.2.1 to 2.2 with modem firmware 02.30.03. I want to unlock it pls helppp

June 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM

@fob: The baseband cannot be downgraded. You'll just have to wait until the final firmware 3.0 is out. There may be a way to unlock your iPhone. Just wait until June or July.