Home » » iPhone Linux is here!

iPhone Linux is here!

Written By Unknown on Friday, November 28, 2008 | 10:22 AM

A member of the DevTeam, planetbeing, has successfully managed to port Linux over to the iPhone and iPod Touch. See the official announcement and download information here. Right now iPhone Linux is still in development stages and is missing a lot of features like wireless, touchscreen, sound, accelerometer, and baseband support, so it's not ready for novice users yet.

Here is a demo video of iPhone Linux:

[via iPhone-Dev website]

Stefan
November 28, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Nice one. I hope i can use the iphone with linux like android :)

December 1, 2008 at 6:16 AM

AMAZING! I can't wait for a fully functional version!

December 1, 2008 at 11:46 PM

pretty pointless.

Christopher
December 2, 2008 at 5:03 AM

if you want to try it you can download it here www.pingpingfanclub.com/iphonelinux-demo.tar.gz

December 5, 2008 at 10:31 AM

When the itouch 2g jb is comming?

Slimy
December 6, 2008 at 12:20 PM

w00t. I can use my iTouch as a monitor.

(I know, I know, but that's what it looks like)

December 6, 2008 at 12:25 PM

whats the point for linux on it? Pointless

December 9, 2008 at 3:11 AM

I do not mean this in a mean way at all. I support you guys completely. But can is making an iPhone/touch Linux really top priority? How bout making a jailbreak for the 2g's?

December 14, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Great work! This is great news for those of us in the community wanting the most out of our hardware. Obviously, the "others" (like in posts above), only use their phone for user level stuff, so they wouldn't see the big picture, anyway. Keep up the good work!

December 15, 2008 at 3:58 PM

In response to the "pointless" postings above... Your comments are pointless!!

Do you think the iPhone and iPod Touch just magically appeared with a full GUI and touch interface? No, it was small steps and hard work like that of planetbeing above. Small "pointless" advances like this will result in possibly having a full replacement for Apple's OS, maybe a mobile version of Ubuntu, when that happens EVERYTHING will change!! Forget about Apple's limitations and short-comings, it could truly become a FULLY functional PC in the palm of your hand! Maybe we'll only see a similar but much sleeker OS, but I'm excited to see the PROGRESS!!

Reminds me of the endless nights I spent hacking the C64 KERNAL (WOW, showing my age!) and all the magic of those early machines. How time have changed!!!

December 15, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Quickpwn 2.2 DOES not work any better than 2.1; In both cases I get to the point where it says "waiting for iphone to connect in recovery mode". In both cases nothing else happens. I am surprised that the developers did NOT fix this problem when upgrading quickpwn to address the 2.2 software update. Apparently lots of people have this problem but nobody can provide a solution that WORKS. I tried almost every suggestion that there is but nothing works. "WILL THE PROGRAM DEVELOPERS ACTUALLY LOOK AT THIS ISSUE OR CONTINUE TO IGNORE IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 16, 2008 at 12:43 AM

can i be an ahole too and say what he's saying. you damn developers...

December 16, 2008 at 6:59 AM

This is pointless. So I can make my device pretty much worthless? No thanks geeks...

December 17, 2008 at 1:29 PM

From above... "WILL THE PROGRAM DEVELOPERS ACTUALLY LOOK AT THIS ISSUE OR CONTINUE TO IGNORE IT" ...dunno, but will the user ever look into it himself?

Sounds like a typical RTFD problem, which would explain why only YOU (out of THOUSANDS of users) are still stuck on this one.

If you have reached the "waiting for iphone to connect in recovery mode" point, the error is between the computer keyboard and chair, and will be the same for EVERY version of QuickPWN released.

To be serious... *YOU* have to put the phone into recovery mode MANUALLY (the software CANNOT do this), and TIMING is of the essence!! Try, try again, and get it right.

I have jailbroken over 15 iPhones and iPod Touches for friends, family and co-workers. With the exception of the iPhone 3G I have seen just about EVERY release and version you can imagine, and to date ALL have worked except the Touch 2G w/ 2.2 firmware (and that error is entirely different). Good Luck to you!

December 17, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Yes, those damn developers!!! What idiots! Didn't they realize they would end up having to hold everyone's hand! Following directions is FAR too difficult and reading is outdated anyway, you need to tell us how to do it in a podcast! Why haven't you developed an app to let my iPhone control my thoughts and MAKE me do it, DUH!

December 25, 2008 at 5:14 PM

COMPLETELY POINTLESS ! ! !

whats the point, i mean , yeah cool u can put linux on it , but the point is to INCREASE functionality. not to degrade it to nothing.

linux was great on the old ipods so that u could play Emulators, and videos on non-video ipods, but now its utterly pointless

December 26, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Hmm, i don't agree with some of the "this-is-absolutly-pointless" posts, imagine if you really can put linux fully operational on you iphone, then you wouldn't have to bother with the stupid appstore, you could just put all your favorite programms on it, just write something in word, install your favorite browser, install some games, emulators for the psp,...

If these guys really can pull this of, all above will be possible...So i don't think it is that pointless...

And to all the guys with 2g ipod touch: the software won't jailbreak my touch 1g as well, so its not like you guys are the only one that are having problems, so stop whining and grow up!

December 28, 2008 at 12:49 PM

You assholes don't appreciate anything. The DEV Team could easily make everyone pay a fee for Jailbreaks and everyone would pay it because they would rather have much better capabilities than what Apple is currently providing. So shutup and stop whining!

Great stuff DEV Team!

December 30, 2008 at 5:15 AM

I see that CMW has been working on this project but i still dont know why he hasnt released winpwn 3.0 because almost everybody dislikes quickpwn well i do (it makes my battery die in like 4 hours) and i would like to see this develope into android that would be awesome :)

December 30, 2008 at 12:52 PM

is there a iPhone jailbreaking site that IS NOT a freakin blog!? Sheesh

Sandbird
December 30, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Can the linux run a graphical environment ? I mean whats the ram on that thing ? Could it start a debian env. ?
If so its not pointless at all. And whoever doesnt understand the possibilities hidden here...should stfu!

January 9, 2009 at 5:29 AM

That waiting for iphone error run quickpwn directly from rar file not from the extracted file.